Rezient's Waifu

Snuggly Kitten

48,000 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Winter Hue
I definitely cookied this.
Although at first zOMG bored the heck out of me when it was first released, I grew to love it.
Sadly due to its lack of updates, I began to fall out of love with it.

You have a lot of potential with zOMG Gaia, so try not to push it aside because of Monster Galaxy.

that is so true

Unbeatable Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Champion 300
zOMG! is a high priority for a lot of people, as evidenced by its lead in popularity in this forum.

What I think the involved Gaia staff fails to realize is that zOMG! doesn't have to bring in revenue on its own to be worthwhile for the site in monetary terms. zOMG! is a user net more than a cash dump.

Think about it. Nobody wants to pay for things. With zOMG! you don't have to.
AND it's fun.
AND it has great gameplay and music and charm.
AND it has No Download!
And the BEST part is that you have an MMORPG--a field where one of the greatest desires is customization--and you've put the insanely high degree of customization found in Gaia's avatars into the mix.
What you get is a free-to-play, no-download, fast-loading, quality, enjoyable game that users will CARE about, because so much more of THEM is in it.

Realize how rare that is!
Comprehend its value, not just to Gaia but to the internet at large.

zOMG! doesn't have to make the money. zOMG! brings in the users, then the users see more of Gaia, update their avatar ('cause, among other things, they want to look awesome in zOMG!), buy more Gaia Cash items, bring in more money to fund Gaia.

So you see you don't have to make zOMG! one of these pay-for-premium MMO's that make most users want to quit. zOMG! makes Gaia itself more attractive, and that in turn increases zOMG's value.

But for zOMG! to do this, it needs to be free of bugs at minimum.

In addition to customization, zOMG! has to its advantage Gaia's entire user base, a whole community already present, not relying on just the game for its sustenance. That is PRECISELY what can allow zOMG! to remain free and fun and ever expanding, because it can bring in revenue in other ways.

I'm not making this up. Look at this very forum, the most popular threads. What do Gaians want?
1. More Avatars
2. More zOMG!

Please do what it takes to focus on zOMG! to the point where a higher percentage of Gaians--and more internet users at large--want to play it.

It is one of the best free-to-play, browser MMORPG's in existence.
And a large part of it is its integration with the rest of Gaia.
If more people knew that, there would certainly be a boom in activity not just in zOMG! but for all Gaia.

At the very least, zOMG!'s bugs should be fixed and the game should be entered into MMO listing sites like MMO hunter or MMO hut or whatever they're called. There are a few good ones, many with sections for Browser MMO's.

Gaia should avoid Facebook, in my opinion. It destroys the very thing Gaia has going for it: the interaction between members as represented by their Gaia avatars. All this focus on Facebook is nothing but convenience and an advertisement for Facebook. It's all well and good to tack on a few fun little games that bring in money for Gaia, but it should never take away the focus from Gaia's truer elements, to which group zOMG! significantly belongs, as an original creation and a great game in its own right.

Gaia should stop focusing on Facebook and start focusing again on Gaia.

Adventuring Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Kalon Ordona II
What I think the involved Gaia staff fails to realize is that zOMG! doesn't have to bring in revenue on its own to be worthwhile for the site in monetary terms. zOMG! is a user net more than a cash dump

Actually, it does. They have stated over and over that Gaia Online is a business. They are not here to make us happy or to be our friends in that kind of way. (They want to keep their customers happy, yes. But it isn't the same thing.) They are here to pay their bills. It does not make a difference if the rest of the site covers their needs, if zOMG! does not make a profit than they will view it as a weak link in the chain and leave it in the box in the closet covered with cobwebs.

They would rather support 3rd party Facebook games than develop and popularize their own MMOG. And it was the very lack of adverts which killed it in the long run. The stupid Facebook game of theirs has far more on-site adverts going on (even having 'news' updates in your My Gaia area...) than zOMG! ever had. The lack of adverts meant it wasn't popularized. The lack of popularity made the company pull staff from the project. Fewer staff meant more bugs showed up and it took longer to fix. More bugs meant fewer people willing to play... you see the spiral?

Unbeatable Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Champion 300
Amorra Aeterna
Kalon Ordona II
What I think the involved Gaia staff fails to realize is that zOMG! doesn't have to bring in revenue on its own to be worthwhile for the site in monetary terms. zOMG! is a user net more than a cash dump

Actually, it does. They have stated over and over that Gaia Online is a business. They are not here to make us happy or to be our friends in that kind of way. (They want to keep their customers happy, yes. But it isn't the same thing.) They are here to pay their bills. It does not make a difference if the rest of the site covers their needs, if zOMG! does not make a profit than they will view it as a weak link in the chain and leave it in the box in the closet covered with cobwebs.

They would rather support 3rd party Facebook games than develop and popularize their own MMOG. And it was the very lack of adverts which killed it in the long run. The stupid Facebook game of theirs has far more on-site adverts going on (even having 'news' updates in your My Gaia area...) than zOMG! ever had. The lack of adverts meant it wasn't popularized. The lack of popularity made the company pull staff from the project. Fewer staff meant more bugs showed up and it took longer to fix. More bugs meant fewer people willing to play... you see the spiral?

You are very correct, and that was actually my whole point. Their entire approach is flawed, as evidenced by Gaia's present situation.

They didn't used to be about money. Think of Gaia's origin. It was conceived to be exactly what it says it is: an online hangout with lots of fun things and community, and so on.

As Gaia grew, they needed to start actually paying the people who worked on it, which is totally understandable, but the problem is of course is that the focus gradually turned toward profit and away from the original spirit of things. Exactly that downward spiral you mentioned. It cost too much to advertise zOMG!, so they didn't, so it wore out, so they stopped making stuff for it, so it wore out some more, and resources were pulled, and here we are.

If they hadn't had the money mindset, they might have seen the value of zOMG! as distinct from its direct monetary revenue.

That's what I'm trying to say: zOMG! is best used an indirect source of revenue. It provides both a means and an end for Gaia avatars, which is what Gaians really want and do spend their money on.

The've taken the focus away from avatars with the onset of Facebook games, and that's draining the life from Gaia, not adding to it as they hope. And they have difficulty seeing past it because of their money focus.

We expect it from Facebook. We never expected it from Gaia.
Evolving items was a great answer. Aquariums are also good because that's another personalization people can do. That's Gaia.
Facebook games have none of that. You just name stuff, click stuff, and keep clicking stuff--and hopefully click ads along the way, or even participate in surveys and things for premium currency.
It's cheap and it's a sellout and it benefits Facebook more than it could ever benefit Gaia, even in theory.

So basically Gaia's in danger of losing its soul to profit-mongering. It's an inevitable battle all companies face as they expand. Except in Gaia's case, we're not winning for losing--we're just plain losing. All we can do is hope the level of demand for avatars and zOMG! gets their attention before things get any worse.

Shameless Exhibitionist

Cookied.

I don't care who works on it but zOMG! needs love. The errors can be infuriating. There needs to be things to do after DMS. Something that makes the endless hours of getting to cl12 valuable; instead of lowering cl if you decide you go anywhere else.

zOMG! is one of the reasons I stick around on gaia today, despite its confusing beginning. I'd really like to see this grow and give others and myself more reasons to hang around gaia.

O.G. Shapeshifter

29,125 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
Epic Period
Cookied.

I don't care who works on it but zOMG! needs love. The errors can be infuriating. There needs to be things to do after DMS. Something that makes the endless hours of getting to cl12 valuable; instead of lowering cl if you decide you go anywhere else.

zOMG! is one of the reasons I stick around on gaia today, despite its confusing beginning. I'd really like to see this grow and give others and myself more reasons to hang around gaia.

please save ZOMG Gaia

Durem Lover

I want to give all my cookies to this thread...

Beloved Wife

7,950 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Married 100
  • Rally Tyro 100
liked biggrin promote my forum biggrin

Desirable Cat

Friends keep trying to interest me in this other MMORPG called Elsword... Nice gameplay... But, it just doesn't have the customization of your avatar that zOMG does. =(
Gaia has that, and it's the whole reason I keep playing zOMG and not some other MMO... I WANT to look unique, so I DO spend cash to get spiffy avvy items...
But right now, with the unlikelihood of me being able to even beat the final boss and them shelving the game practically, I don't want to spend money.
It's a very unique game that allows for a lot of creativity from users, both in their game appearance and strategies. .__.;;

I agree w/ you 100% Karlon. And I wish the Gaia execs would see that. They've already lost two auto-cash subscribers. Me and my bf refuse to put any more money in when we don't even know if the game will ever be updated or fixed so we can have hassle-free playtime w/out the glitches. It may not seem like a big deal, but they're losing ground and potential customers.

Unbeatable Phantom

8,750 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Champion 300
Exactly! See? That's just what I'm talking about--things like Elsword that are super fun, but you don't care about it as much because you can't be as YOU as you want to be. Almost the first thing everybody wants to know whenever any MMORPG comes out is, "How good is the Character Creation."

Well, Gaia's is probably better than any MMORPG in existence.
AND you have the rest of Gaia to go with it!
(Really it's the other way around, but that's how you'd advertise it to new zOMG! players.)

All Gaia has to do is advertise it. You can't make money without spending money. I know I came back to Gaia mostly because of zOMG!, and I pursued most of my items because of zOMG. If I had the money to do Gaia Cash, you'd better believe I'd be spending it on stuff that'd I'd love to show off in zOMG!

Gaia has something they can REALLY advertise, and that is a game that has no premium content. Every area in the game is accessible to all players, whether they have Gaia Cash or not. But they can look extra cool if they spend Gaia Cash. And that's what it's for on regular Gaia anyway!

They could almost call on Gaians themselves to help create advertisements for zOMG.
I'd make a YouTube trailer for zOMG, or graphics, or other stuff like that, totally!
(Hopefully I'd get a special Gaia item for it or something. ^^ *nudge, Gaia, nudge*)

I mean come on. There are things they can do. They could at least try instead of whining that nobody's playing it. It's a backwards approach.

"Play it and we'll make it awesome."

No. Make it awesome and we'll play it.

I mean, how can we recommend a buggy game to new users?
We can't even advertise via word of mouth, because Gaia can hardly fix what zOMG! it does have!
It's great that they're starting to fix some of the bugs. Thank you, Gaia. But we need more. Work with us here! =)

Let's make like a forum or a contest or some area on Gaia for Gaians to participate in zOMG's development and advertisement, if Gaia's own resources are that limited. We'd love to do it! Do you know how many great artists, for example, have shops up just to get Gaia Gold? Not even Gaia Cash!

What can we do? We're willing to put effort into it, and there are incentives you can provide to encourage more. biggrin We're up for it if you are! We're up for it even if you aren't!
Do something!

Winged Phantom

18,725 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Marathon 300

Zachravel's Datemate

Monster Ship

Cookie for you c,:

Sparkle Warrior's Husband

Hilarious Bloodsucker

5,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Junior Trader 100
jonjon21428
Comment from Panagrammic: actually, a number of the bugs that you mention are backend bugs -- that is, a flash developer would not be the right person to fix them. The largest determiner of how many people we put on zOMG in the future will be based on the reaction to DMS. However, we've moving this up to the main forum to get a sense of how zOMG prioritizes for people vs. other features.

zOMG! updates have been going very slow in the past year, one of the main reasons on why, is that zOMG! does not have a flash developer. With a flash developer, not only will zOMG! be able to fix nasty glitches, but zOMG can also create new visually animated rings, more badges, more monsters, more events, more areas, and unique functions to zOMG!, a multi-win solution. zOMG! only has 1 full time artist, and 2 part time programmers. zOMG really needs more people in their developer team. emotion_brofist

Stubborn glitches like people not being able to get their end-chapter awards, /invite command, Clan chat, Goofball mini-game, Whisper, The Fountain Game, Badge Grants, and glitching quests can be fixed smile

Banner for this Proposal:
User Image
Version 1
Nice comment dude
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.74840215/][IMG]http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af241/litchfield1695/SuppoprtzOMG.png[/IMG][/url]

Version 2 (lesser amount of characters)
[url=http://tinyurl.com/4xbhxed/][IMG]http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af241/litchfield1695/SuppoprtzOMG.png[/IMG][/url]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff