Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bunny

42,575 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Ian's Valentine 100
a little hummingbird
Even as an avid roleplayer, I have to say I sign. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE to use the feature to stalk my friends and see if they're in any interesting roleplays, or even use it in the same way Memory Manipulator Namie does, but it should be up to a user to make it private if they so wish.

As to the people who would think it would negatively impact their ability to find roleplay partners, or check literacy levels... you could always ask for a sample. People still do it, and it's a good way to weed people out. Or a test post. I feel like justifying the stalk post button without it being optional in order to accept people into roleplays is like justifying making facebook a simply public tool, with no privacy options to employers and the like. While I agree it's useful to see what kind of people they are, an interview or giving someone a chance without a bias might be a good thing. You never know what circumstances someone may be influenced by. /shrug

That being said, I don't think the option to see other people's posts should be removed. Just made optional. : >

I personally feel like even in public places (you know, like downtown cities IRL) it's difficult to find a friend without having to ask them where they are, or what they are doing. If I wanted everyone to know what I was doing publicly, I'd be constantly updating a Twitter or Facebook account. While I don't think I live in a private bubble, what I do and say in public still isn't the same thing as being on a TV and announcing what I have done every second of every day to the world. People should be accountable for their actions, true, but I think that can still easily be maintained with the option turned off. If someone asks what I've did in public the day before, it's still my right to choose not to tell them. I feel wishy-washy on the public argument itself. I don't know -- I'm sure it's debatable, but I definitely see strong sides for making it an option.

Thank you for taking the time to fully explain your thoughts. I completely agree and, if you don't mind, I'll add your argument to the front page.

You have been added.

Bunny

42,575 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Ian's Valentine 100
Memory Manipulator Namine

just giving some constructive feedback as to why I'm NOT signing.

I really like the ability to look at post histories. I use it to look after the people that are in rp's I'm running. Such as seeing if they've been posting in other places on gaia and just ignoring my rp or if they haven't been active on Gaia at all.

I also use post histories to see progress on profiles and see what rp's my friends are in.

Finally, I use post histories to see the literacy level of people that want to join my rps and to just see what type of rper they are.

I really like the option to read post histories as they provide a lot of valuable information about people. (especially when I get those random "WANNA 1x1!?" pm's. -.-;; )

Anyway, just providing some constructive feedback for why I'm against your petition. I realize all my arguments against could easily be turned into reasons FOR it.

Please be polite if your going to respond. I've been really polite and respectful in this post. thank you. heart

Naturally, I would be polite. I've never given an indication that I wouldn't be open for practical points for the argument against the idea.

I was going to respond to you, but Hummingbird already stated all the points I was going to say in response.
Because she referenced your name and opinions, I'll go ahead and post this.
That way I'm not repeating something you or someone else has already read.

a little hummingbird
Even as an avid roleplayer, I have to say I sign. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE to use the feature to stalk my friends and see if they're in any interesting roleplays, or even use it in the same way Memory Manipulator Namie does, but it should be up to a user to make it private if they so wish.

As to the people who would think it would negatively impact their ability to find roleplay partners, or check literacy levels... you could always ask for a sample. People still do it, and it's a good way to weed people out. Or a test post. I feel like justifying the stalk post button without it being optional in order to accept people into roleplays is like justifying making facebook a simply public tool, with no privacy options to employers and the like. While I agree it's useful to see what kind of people they are, an interview or giving someone a chance without a bias might be a good thing. You never know what circumstances someone may be influenced by. /shrug

That being said, I don't think the option to see other people's posts should be removed. Just made optional. : >

I personally feel like even in public places (you know, like downtown cities IRL) it's difficult to find a friend without having to ask them where they are, or what they are doing. If I wanted everyone to know what I was doing publicly, I'd be constantly updating a Twitter or Facebook account. While I don't think I live in a private bubble, what I do and say in public still isn't the same thing as being on a TV and announcing what I have done every second of every day to the world. People should be accountable for their actions, true, but I think that can still easily be maintained with the option turned off. If someone asks what I've did in public the day before, it's still my right to choose not to tell them. I feel wishy-washy on the public argument itself. I don't know -- I'm sure it's debatable, but I definitely see strong sides for making it an option.

Magical Girl

9,575 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Timid 100
I think they should have 3 options.
1) Open for all to see
2) Completely private
3) Friends only
I'd personally use option 3.

I can see both points of the argument, but personally I feel that the choice is needed, if not for us then for others who are being bullied and harrassed. Because with all the members Gaia has, I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere is.

Magical Girl

9,575 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Timid 100
Tsuki_Kirkland
It's not like the posts themselves would be private. Someone could still stumble across another's post if given a link to the actual thread or by randomly finding the thread from the forums themselves. To me, it's the actual threads themselves that are public. The post history is just one way of getting to them. Of course this is just my oppinion. Everyone is entitled to their own.

Sorry for the doublepost, Karu.

Magical Garbage

I sign this petition.

Demonic Seeker

Bunny

42,575 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Ian's Valentine 100
Fangel: No worries. Thanks for stopping by!

I just don't want to start a continuous post war in here with people arguing their points back and forth.

List updated.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
animefangel
Tsuki_Kirkland
It's not like the posts themselves would be private. Someone could still stumble across another's post if given a link to the actual thread or by randomly finding the thread from the forums themselves. To me, it's the actual threads themselves that are public. The post history is just one way of getting to them. Of course this is just my oppinion. Everyone is entitled to their own.

Sorry for the doublepost, Karu.

It doesn’t matter, the option will never happen because this is a public forum website and the OP’s idea defeats the idea of a public forum. If anyone doesn’t want people seeing their post history they can posts in guilds where no one can see. But this idea has been brought up before and shot down with good reason and I seriously doubt Gaia would even consider anything like the Op’s . Here’s what a mod said once in another thread about this:

Quote:

The forums are public. What you say on the forums is public. There is no way for you to set your posts to "private" without possibly affecting discussions and threads posted by others in an adverse and negative way, so it's very unlikely that Gaia would implement such an option.

Profile comments and PMs can be set to private because those are one way communications directly to your account and it makes sense for you to have options in managing what you will receive there. Posts on the open forum are another matter entirely as they are not made on your own personal space but are public and can affect others.

Also, there are many reasons to check one’s post history that are good , for example I use them to find repeat offenders when I report pirating on the forums. Roleplay owners check them to see if the user is literate and mature enough to join their roleplay. Some check post histories to be sure they’re not dealing with a scammer in the exchange forum.

Fashionable Phantom

Oh hey Karu~ >w>
I'm totally signing this!

Dapper Ladykiller

13,475 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Brandisher 100
I don't know why this wasn't a thing in the first place. I'll sign

Agile Glitch

Although I understand that it's a public forum, it's still nice to have that little addition of privacy so you're not constantly followed around by some. They may not be stalkers, but could be people that just generally look up to you a lot or whatever and try to get into whatever you're doing and you just want to be alone from them a bit and make an option/choice to go and interact with them when you feel up to it.

So I sign

Alien Lover

If I might make a suggestion, the signatures should probably be numbered before the list gets too long. There's something about that in the sticky, I believe.

Also, I'd like to sign!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces