- Posted: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 00:36:52 +0000
Update 11/16/2011: We've got some new things tagged under "wedding" in the marketplace:
The Pillbox hats
Ania's Wedding Gown
The Celestial Veil
and of course:
The Noble Nuptial Tea
And did you know that the Winter Rose is also tagged under "Wedding"?
FINAL UPDATE 2/26/2015:
A MARRIAGE SYSTEM HAS BEEN IMPLIMENTED!!
Whether it was because of this or not, THANK YOU to everyone who signed this and gave input and ideas! Now go forth and be married!! ^o^
Update 1/12/2011: Even more wedding themed items! We now have sets for the seasons!!
Update 10/10: We have 100 signatures!! This is a great start and I'm amazed I came up with something so popular. We can't stop now though! Lets keep going until we get the staff's attention...in a good way! ^.^
Update 9/29: I should have posted this sooner, but there is now another marriage item on Gaia! Marital Pendant There was also the beautiful wedding phase of the Lyndexter's Journal (I can't wait for it to be done so I can wear that again!) In other news, we're nearing 100 signatures! *applauds* Here's hoping we get many more! (Or that the Gaia staff listens before we have to xD)
Update 8/20: Had to shorten the name of the thread so it wouldn't overload signatures. Also, made some banners!
Update 8/14: We're a Petition now! xD We finally got 50+ supporters, so I requested the thread to be moved, and here we are ^.^ Banners to come!
Update 7/26: I've decided that if I can get 50 supporters, I'm going to start a petition!! I'm so close. And everyone's been so nice in giving me their thoughts, opinions, and ideas in a respectful and polite way. Thank's everyone!!
Alright, so, a while back someone posted a thread about a Gaia Wedding system, and I jumped right on board with that. Because I think it'd be a nice feature for my irl husband and myself if done correctly.
Here is the system that I came up with to handle the theoretical Gaia Unions.
1. The trade. Gaia Unions would be based on the trade system. The partners would each contact the NPC, and pay them 10,000 gold. Then they would be allowed to choose a wedding ring (I'm thinking angelic, demonic, and maybe some elemental rings, plus the standard diamond rings for those who don't want too much flare in their fare). The partners would exchange the rings, which would then become soulbound to their recipients. Once the trade was completed, they would each receive a congratulatory PM along with an img link for a Marriage Certificate that could be added to their signatures.
2. Marriage Allowances. Optionally, up to 6 people could be married to one user at any given time. I don't see a problem with this, as the soulbound rings couldn't be sold on the MP, and all it would really do is have 4 more people adding to the goldsink instead of just the two. If a person marries 6 people, it may be feasible to have it so that you can sell your extra wedding rings back to the site for 1 or 2 gold, but the rings would not be trashable until after the characters have divorced each other.
3. Separation or "Breaking" the Union. If a party does not wish to be married to a particular avatar anymore, they would visit the separation NPC, who would charge an initial fee of 15k for the divorce. Like the name changing feature, this fee and the marriage fee will be raised by 10,000 gold each time a character divorces and remarries. The other party would not have to be on at the same time as the divorcer. However they would recieve a PM in their inbox notifying them that the union has been severed. When an avatar divorces another avatar, both rings are destroyed (Or the users are given the option to have them destroyed) so as to not clutter up a persons inventory with unwanted soulbound wedding rings. There will be at least a 2 or 3 day waiting period between the time of the divorce, and the next time that avatar can get married (along with the fees).
UPDATE: After reading the comments and thoughts on this thread, I'm adding this to the divorce specifications:
When a person wants to divorce their avatar, it is the sole responsibility of the divorce-er to pay for it. The divorcer would go to the marriage (or unificating) area where the Divorce NPC would be (possibly right next to the marriage npc, they could do a whole "chipper and depressed" contrast xD) The divorce-er would have to pay the entire cost of splitting the union up. That would be 30k (the equivalent of 15k per partner). After that, the divorce-ee would receive a PM notifying them of the break up, and probably sending their condolances from the Divorce NPC, at which point their rings could be optionally trashed (or possibly sold back to the NPC shops for a whopping 1g.) They would remain soulbound however, so that people couldn't cheapen their meaning by selling them to single people on the MP.
This would make it so that if someone wants out but the other party doesn't want to let them, they can simply gather up the gold themselves.
4. Religion. Religion isn't an issue for this system. Partners who wish to 'tie the knot' as it were, can wear whatever they want during the trade, and if they want to have an actual roleplay ceremony, they can do that according to their own practices and beliefs. This would just be a trade for a ring and a certificate. It wouldn't be any different than going to a courthouse and getting married by a justice of the peace.
5. Gender. While I'm sure some people would get up in arms about it, you =/= your avatar. And your avatar can have it's gender changed at any time provided you have the gold for it. So Gender and/or same sex marriage really doesn't apply here either. If you want to get really technical, your avatar has no gender because it's only pixels on a screen.
6. Reception Hall Hangout. This would be a mini world (like the MTV one or the Skittles one, only cooler xD) where the partners, if they wished to, could invite their friends and either hang out together or have an rp ceremony. The rooms would be themed in a few different ways from the standard dance hall with tables to outdoor gardens. It's not really necessary for the system but I think it would be a nice touch.
Now, a word to the angry. I understand if you don't like this idea, or don't think it should be implemented (even though it probably won't). But please, please, don't flame me about this. I would appreciate mature, concise criticism. But I'm not going to listen to "We don't need it". We don't need anything on Gaia really. It's for recreation. We don't need Gaia-tan, or Power-ranger knock-offs. We don't need Rallys or even towns (even though I like towns). They're just for fun, and so is this. No one would be forcing you to participate.
Finally, did you know that there is a filter in the Cash Shop called "Wedding"? It includes items like this:
And also includes all the Pearl and Gemstone jewelry, and the Dashing Gentleman's sets. And lets not forget about this:
Comment: This isn't PG13!!!111
Answer: Yes, yes it is. Little girls play pretend wedding all the time, they marry their barbie dolls and their stuffed animals and even their pet kitties to each other. This is no different. It's just pretend
Comment: This will encourage cybering!!
Answer: How? If I want to cyber with someone (and I don't), it's not going to matter whether our sprites are married or not. We'll do it regardless. If you want to see something that promotes cybering, I have two words for you; Angelic, Lingerie.
Comment: ***** will take advantage of kids!
Answer: For the most part, see the answer above. If an adult wants to take advantage of a kid, they're going to try regardless of whether or not they have a soulbound wedding ring to equip.
Comment: Just Roleplay it.
Answer: Not everyone can roleplay, not everyone likes to roleplay. The interests of one person don't always match the interests of another. Those people who don't like/don't want/can't roleplay shouldn't be excluded from something when we can give them another option.
Comment: All marriages involve religion
Ansewr: No they don't. You can go to any courthouse and pay a small fee and get married by the justice of the peace there. No religion involved and you don't even have to exchange vows.