Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think being able "Padlock" your items to protect them from hackers and scammers is a good idea?

Yes! Why don't they have this already? 0.90420168067227 90.4% [ 3228 ]
No, I don't think this is a good idea. 0.036414565826331 3.6% [ 130 ]
I don't care / Poll Whore option 0.059383753501401 5.9% [ 212 ]
Total Votes:[ 3570 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 7 ... 352 353 354 > >> >>> »|

I sign, glad to see im not the only one with a petition up to get more protection against hackers smile

but as slow as the mods are at replying to your reports you might want the padlocks to take over 7 to 8 months to be un tradable -_-;;;;
*Nods* Great idea. I like the edits you made, too. I like the way you handled the execution in the edits, so I'll most DEFINITELY sign!
Tsuwabuki
HOLY CRAP! I SIGN THIS!! And I will get a lot of people to sign as well! Affiliates?

Sure! I'd love to be affiliates...I think I signed your petition (I remember your avi!) We can exchange banners 4laugh
And I think it would be great if we could specify the length of time for the padlocks to last if we were say, going on vacation. Not sure how the programming would work on that...but maybe Gaia could figure it out. About having it linked to your e-mail, hmmmm. I think it's best we keep everything on Gaia or you'll have hackers hacking your e-mail next xp Edit: I just looked over your post again. The point is that you CAN'T unlock them. They unlock themselves at the end of a month. So the hackers couldn't just unlock them and send them to their account. You can still equip and unequip a locked item, but you can't sell, trade, or gift it. Make sense?
Ame no Yanagi
*Nods* Great idea. I like the edits you made, too. I like the way you handled the execution in the edits, so I'll most DEFINITELY sign!

Oh thank you! I was on paint for an hour or so, copying and pasting, lol. Glad someone likes them! I was a little afraid they were too plain sweatdrop

Shirtless Powerhouse

Signed, obviously!

Shirtless Powerhouse

DavidWhy
For those of us that have thousands of items to keep track of, dragging padlocks to items seems highly impractical. Also, what if you change your mind about selling an item? the one month time limit seems highly arbitrary and biased against exchagers, people who are likely to have the most gold. Why should exchangers be at higher risk than the average person simply because they don't want to trap their items away for a month when they could be using them all to make a profit? A blanket ability to lock your inventory for a time period of your choosing makes more sense, as people can make good assumptions as to when they'll be on to manage their trades and can set the unlock feature accordingly. Even then, I think this concept needs considerable work to be a viable option.

This doesn't necessarily create bias, and it IS a deterrent to hackers in the first place. Everyone takes a personal risk when they padlock their item, but I think this is far better than any idea that just looks for an additional password-- it gives users the option to absolutely safeguard an item.

The point is that if you are able to unlock the items manually, then it's not a deterrent to hackers at all. There's always a risk to freezing your assets, but if you want to protect your account, it may be a risk you have to take.

I agree that a better setup than drag'n'drop is possible, though-- perhaps just available as a button when you click on an item!

Fashionable Dabbler

8,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Megathread 100
  • Full closet 200
I see what you're saying but what I mean is for example:

I am going on vacation!
I hope no one hacks me!
Oh yes, I can lock down all my items. ^.O
*Locks*
*An email/IM appears on my screan.*
"Alert! All items in your inventory have been locked!"
JOY!
[vacation]...Hawaii...[/vacation]
*I come home and sign on Gaia*
What's this?
"Alert! Request to unlock inventory items!
Accept... Decline... Report Hacking Attempt"
Goodness! Good thing it's all about my IP!

Shirtless Powerhouse

Tsuwabuki

I am going on vacation!
I hope no one hacks me!
*Locks*
JOY!
What's this?

What happens if you have a dynamic IP address?

Questionable Lunatic

Hello Hello my beautiful friends 4laugh
Sara I give you a bump for your petition

Fashionable Dabbler

8,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Megathread 100
  • Full closet 200
Ganon Firenight
Tsuwabuki

I am going on vacation!
I hope no one hacks me!
*Locks*
JOY!
What's this?

What happens if you have a dynamic IP address?

No idea. It's just a suggestion.
Ganon Firenight
DavidWhy
For those of us that have thousands of items to keep track of, dragging padlocks to items seems highly impractical. Also, what if you change your mind about selling an item? the one month time limit seems highly arbitrary and biased against exchagers, people who are likely to have the most gold. Why should exchangers be at higher risk than the average person simply because they don't want to trap their items away for a month when they could be using them all to make a profit? A blanket ability to lock your inventory for a time period of your choosing makes more sense, as people can make good assumptions as to when they'll be on to manage their trades and can set the unlock feature accordingly. Even then, I think this concept needs considerable work to be a viable option.

This doesn't necessarily create bias, and it IS a deterrent to hackers in the first place. Everyone takes a personal risk when they padlock their item, but I think this is far better than any idea that just looks for an additional password-- it gives users the option to absolutely safeguard an item.

The point is that if you are able to unlock the items manually, then it's not a deterrent to hackers at all. There's always a risk to freezing your assets, but if you want to protect your account, it may be a risk you have to take.

I agree that a better setup than drag'n'drop is possible, though-- perhaps just available as a button when you click on an item!

Drag and drop was the first thing that popped in my head when I was doing paint edits last night...but in truth, it probably wouldn't work that well. Maybe a box pull up listing all your items with check boxes next to them? And you just check the boxes next to the items you want padlocked? Anybody else have any ideas on how this could work?

Shameless Nerd

I think this is a great idea. Every time I check the forums I find people saying they were hacked. It'd be great to have some extra protection and peace of mind, and I think something like this could do it. Consider me signed! biggrin
i sign. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces