Madame Fate 0.034682080924855 3.5% [ 54 ]
Fate's Oracle 0.10404624277457 10.4% [ 162 ]
Crystal Gazer 0.073217726396917 7.3% [ 114 ]
Madame Mystique 0.19717405266538 19.7% [ 307 ]
Circus Fortune 0.047527296082209 4.8% [ 74 ]
Total Votes:[ 1557 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 166 167 168 > >> >>> »|

maenad nuri

Wow, I read the first and last page of that, and totally filled out my privilege bingo card. Do I get a prize?

Hmmm... there's an idea.

Laocoons's Wife

Not a racist. I dislike everyone equally. Signed.

Jynxus's Boyfriend

Magnetic Sex Symbol

12,625 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
maenad nuri

My personal favorite is "it's disconnected now!"

Really? Is that why I go to dance shows and have people do "REAL ROMA GYPSY DANCE", when it's just normal Turkish or Tribal in different costuming?

Actually, I do faires now, and one of the dancers told me that the only reason they do those is because people expect them to. >< As in yelling out, "Dance like a [g-word]!! HURR." And believe me, in semi-historical context (like faires) I understand having "g-word," as they sometimes have Moors and other historically maligned groups.
StyxKitten
maenad nuri

Really? Is that why I go to dance shows and have people do "REAL ROMA GYPSY DANCE", when it's just normal Turkish or Tribal in different costuming?

Actually, I do faires now, and one of the dancers told me that the only reason they do those is because people expect them to. >< As in yelling out, "Dance like a [g-word]!! HURR." And believe me, in semi-historical context (like faires) I understand having "g-word," as they sometimes have Moors and other historically maligned groups.

I do a semi-historical group as well -- I actually portray a Domari. My first more historically accurate garb is almost finished! We're generally called G~ as well (with the blessings of the Roma within our sport). I try to call us something slightly different, the name of the group -- and then educate and drum up support for Roma groups and highlight the problems in Europe.

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
-signed-

I'm a little embarrassed to say how much I learned from the front page of this thread. I had no idea.

Jynxus's Boyfriend

Magnetic Sex Symbol

12,625 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
maenad nuri
StyxKitten
maenad nuri

I do a semi-historical group as well -- I actually portray a Domari. My first more historically accurate garb is almost finished! We're generally called G~ as well (with the blessings of the Roma within our sport). I try to call us something slightly different, the name of the group -- and then educate and drum up support for Roma groups and highlight the problems in Europe.

Every time you say something, I like you more. <3 I used to do more historically accurate, but in Texas, it just doesn't work like that.

Invisible Giver

I'm actually going to sign this even though I don't use the term "gypsy" as a racist slur. I didn't think people were racist against them, and I personally don't see anything wrong with them. I guess people can call themselves whatever they want. So be it.

Heart Avenger

I never thought of "gypsy" as offensive. But I still think it's wrong when people say "Oh, haven't you noticed the gypsies seling these?", and try to correct them.
But I come from a Scandinavian country, and some people here use "sami" as an insult. (And that's practically like using "black". The original offensive term towards sami people was "lapps".) And even though I'm only 1/16 part sami, it upsets me a little.

So I'll sign.

(Should I feel guilty for wearing the item?)

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
Ash Iridium
I'm actually going to sign this even though I don't use the term "gypsy" as a racist slur.

The point is that the word is hurtful in and of itself, regardless of your intent behind it. You might want to read some of the links and quotes on the front page. They're pretty informative.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

I figured it was a racist term once I heard someone say "I've been gypped." It's offensive to say "I've been Jewed," so why should this be any different?

I'll sign. :3

Heart Avenger

Munkers
Ash Iridium
I'm actually going to sign this even though I don't use the term "gypsy" as a racist slur.

The point is that the word is hurtful in and of itself, regardless of your intent behind it. You might want to read some of the links and quotes on the front page. They're pretty informative.

I didn't think of it as racist either. But I've never heard the term "romani" used in a classroom, and I actually had to ask my mom what it meant the first time I came across it. That happened when I was 16.
I don't think we are the only ones who has been greatly misinformed by the society.
And I think it's great that people are trying to inform other people about the real meaning of abused terms.
:3

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
XJust_Some_Outsider_GirlX

I don't think the item is the problem so much as what they're calling it, so I wouldn't feel guilty.

I think for myself, to show support I'm going to wait until the name is changed before I get one. I think it's really pretty.

Jynxus's Boyfriend

Magnetic Sex Symbol

12,625 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
Esiris
XJust_Some_Outsider_GirlX

I don't think the item is the problem so much as what they're calling it, so I wouldn't feel guilty.

I think for myself, to show support I'm going to wait until the name is changed before I get one. I think it's really pretty.

I think it's really pretty, and a gorgeous item, with a problematic name and some interesting connotations.

If anyone tells me they filled out a "privilege bingo" car, I'm also doing a small giveaway, just PM me.

Friendly Trickster

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces