Welcome to Gaia! ::

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
Back in the Day: A Text Based RPG Petition

Don't forget to <3, sign and/or tip to support this!

Do you remember those days when you had to type in every little command to play an RPG? Are there fond memories of being unable to make your journey in Oregon Trail? Should Gaia have kept Frontier Skies? If you said 'yes' to any of those questions, this petition is for you!

What is a text based rpg?

A text based rpg is exactly what the name implies - it is a game in which you rely on text commands as opposed to flash animation gameplay. Unlike something similar to towns or zOMG!, a text based rpg will not require much space on the site and is super easy to use since it is all based on text and traditional artwork (as in, non-animated for the most part). Wikipedia's definition is as follows:
Quote:
An online text-based role playing game is a role-playing game played online using a solely text-based interface. Online text-based role playing games date to 1978, with the creation of MUD1, which began the MUD heritage that culminates in today's MMORPGs. Some online-text based role playing games are video games, but some are organized and played entirely by humans through text-based communication. Over the years, games have used TELNET, internet forums, IRC, email and social networking websites as their media.

There are varied genres of online text-based roleplaying, including fantasy, drama, horror, anime, science fiction, and media-based fan role-play. Role-playing games based on popular media (for example, the Harry Potter series) are common, and the players involved tend to overlap with the relevant fandoms.

The most notable text based rpgs to date include Oregon Trail, Zork, Amnesia, Castle of the Winds and more.

If Gaia got rid of zOMG! and Frontier Skies, why would they consider this?

zOMG! was removed due to a huge problem that allowed for manipulation. From what I understand, that is also why they removed Frontier Skies. However, the mechanisms involved in a text based rpg are simplistic enough that they shouldn't cause these kinds of issues if done properly from the start. Even if it were extremely complicated it provides a chance to create a layout that doesn't have any holes like that. There are websites where you can make your own for crying out loud, it should be easy enough to create one for a large site like Gaia.

What do you think we'd see in a Gaia text based rpg?

Personally I'd love to see some story line development going on because I always loved the story lines that went along with events. It doesn't even necessarily have to be super serious - it can be one of the fun stories that Gaia always used to come up with. This could also provide an opportunity to bring in some neglected NPC's, especially the zOMG! NPC's now that zOMG! is no more. Also, what about those adorable fluffs? You can't let them go to waste! Don't you also want to see some rad new artwork? I know I do!

What's the incentive to play a game like this?

Preferably I'd like to see some new items come out of this just as much as anyone else would. However, if this isn't possible it could just as easily give out gold or random gold shop items, perhaps pertaining to whatever story line you choose to follow throughout your adventure. The super rare prize of GC would also be nice to see, or even GC items (again, super rare). Even with the slightest chance of people being able to win an item like that will get them to play. Heck, I'm pretty sure any prizes are an incentive to play it. Even if it's not necessarily something sparkly and fancy.

What The People Have To Say

Ebony Phantom
You guys really need to make a text based RPG. We could use our zOMG items in it. And it could salvage alchemy and keep it going. I picture all the monsters and characters from zOMG in it along with NPC'S. We could choose a race and decorate our avatars to fit that race. We could choose from angels, demons, faeries, vampires, elves, robots. gods/goddesses and various other races. We can cast spells, get powerups; boosts, offensive powers and defensive powers, do quests and battles. We could get special abilities/powers where we get a colorful stamp or some little picture (like in vampire wars) . We could get awards and badges and all that fun stuff. You get the drill....

I also see how we could tie it into the cash shop.

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
We The People
The following users have given their signatures as a sign of support for this idea...

1. tokkitoria
  2. Great Lakes haze
  3. Ebony Phantom
  4. Menacing Stranger

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
I Want To Show My Support!

Great! As of right now there are no banners, but if the petition takes off well some will go here in the future. For now, a text link is more than enough to show your support! Make sure to tell your friends (but don't spam wink ).

Shameless Visionary

19,000 Points
  • Master Medic 150
  • Cool Competitor 150
  • Never Give Up 35
Sure, why not? I sign. biggrin

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
Great Lakes haze
Sure, why not? I sign. biggrin

User Image Thank you so much!! <3

Generous Vampire

11,300 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • First step to fame 200
I sign

Quote:

You guys really need to make a text based RPG. We could use our zOMG items in it. And it could salvage alchemy and keep it going. I picture all the monsters and characters from zOMG in it along with NPC'S. We could choose a race and decorate our avatars to fit that race. We could choose from angels, demons, faeries, vampires, elves, robots. gods/goddesses and various other races. We can cast spells, get powerups; boosts, offensive powers and defensive powers, do quests and battles. We could get special abilities/powers where we get a colorful stamp or some little picture (like in vampire wars) . We could get awards and badges and all that fun stuff. You get the drill....

I also see how we could tie it into the cash shop.

Unno Rokuro's Kouhai

Anxious Yandere

39,650 Points
  • Yandere Enthusiast 500
  • Gaia Artist Alley Box Achievement 500
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200

Bloodthirsty Phantom

14,350 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Novice Healer 150
  • Tenacious Spirit 250

Generous Vampire

11,300 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • First step to fame 200

Generous Vampire

11,300 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • First step to fame 200

Generous Vampire

11,300 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • First step to fame 200
heart heart heart

Generous Vampire

11,300 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • First step to fame 200

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
User Image Thank you so much everyone for your support so far! Everything has been updated.

ElectricTerra's Senpai

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I sign!
heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff