Welcome to Gaia! ::

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
[voleur]
Jersey DareDevil
stare being banned will be the least of your worries after, you see a law suit from a multi-million dollar corporation sweatdrop

That's ludicrous. Really, let's say I want to sell banners that use images from a Vogue Magazine photoshoot. The photographer, and the multi-million dollar corporation of Vogue could care less if some teenage amateur graphic designer is making virtual currency on an anime roleplaying website with just a little help from their images. They've got too much going on in their lives to be sniffing around Gaia searching for copyright violations.

If I may speak freely, and this is not intended to be insulting or offending to the creators and moderators of this website, but from my perception this place takes itself too seriously.

Yes they won't take people like us that seriously if we don't make any money not gaia gold out of it and they shouldn't because by all means its advertising the show or product when you use it by getting people interested and wanting to buy or watch the show or product

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
I spoke with my older cuzin and yes you do have to contact the owner/artist of artwork but I don't really get why an 11-year-old kid would contact older people who are practicully strangers to them... and what if you have to pay 1k just to use some pics for some ******** gaia money for virtual gaming use... most graphics made are not permissioned so why target some people i didn't even sell anything and tsubasa resevoir i don't know about the artists names or the site for it >( and I worked hard on my link button and i don't even know what anime it is or the artist shouldn't you send an email first to confirm with the member what they should do or their shop will be deleted? Since its quite unfair if your graphics you didn't save for example got deleted when you could've used it for other stuff o.o'' >( I'm so ******** pissed for my new shop to be deleted when i didn't do anything wrong and the graphics on my shop were samples and not for sale

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Q: Can I use your images for a layout/sig/avatar/icon?
A: Yes, of course! You can even send us a copy and we can put it up on the site. We'd also love it if you credited us, too. smile

This was taken from a clow site which has info about images and stuff which ment my site didn't have to be deleted because they allowed usuage of their images where i got mine >(

there is proof
http://www.tsubasachronicle.net/faq.php

look at media and you will se >( shame on you totorochic for not clarifying stuff like that and I worked hard on all that content which took me alot of my free time to draw or just play since i wanted to earn money and its fun meeting new people >(

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
and the images i used are from there >(
Rukia_kuchiki1994
Q: Can I use your images for a layout/sig/avatar/icon?
A: Yes, of course! You can even send us a copy and we can put it up on the site. We'd also love it if you credited us, too. smile

This was taken from a clow site which has info about images and stuff which ment my site didn't have to be deleted because they allowed usuage of their images where i got mine >(

there is proof
http://www.tsubasachronicle.net/faq.php

look at media and you will se >( shame on you totorochic for not clarifying stuff like that and I worked hard on all that content which took me alot of my free time to draw or just play since i wanted to earn money and its fun meeting new people >(

I've read through the F.A.Q. and although it does state
that you can use images for layouts, signatures, etc. the site is
not the true artists of the anime images.

Despite their permission given to everyone to use the images,
does not mean it is theirs.They're are not the true creators, in other
words, not the true artist of the images.Therefore, even if you
give proof of the source as to where the images used were found,
and the site allowed the images to be used, you still would've
been using them without the artists permission.
To clarify, do these rules mean no one can sell Avatar Edits or Profiles? Because that is essentially using copyrighted images and slopping paint on them or collaging images from animes. stare

It sounds basically like Gaia is now saying "If you don't know how to draw anything better than a stick figure, screw you and try to get gold bumping around Chatterbox." Which is just asinine. If you're gonna go a**l on copyright, then don't have double standards and shut down the Fanfiction Subforum, and ban everyone who sells profiles. mad

For a lot of Gaians, our only skills artistically are to make banners for people and if we can't sell those... well, we all know how society works: People won't work if they don't get paid for it.

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
If this is a rule here and around the world as well over most of the sites that to graphics will be gone and Alechsa you've got a point and I had another shop which I closed since I wanted to organize my shop better and it was using examples from other shows and no permission and it didn't get deleted meaning only some shops get deleted from what totorochic sees if it was investigated clearly most of the shops would shut down and the site where I got the images have permission and you see those images i used weren't for sale -.-'' even my mom says its pretty much not fair if only some people get deleted and the rules here are to harsh for people who don't know enough about "law" "copyright" since some of us are under 10 and aren't even teens -.-'' firstly Totorochic should tell a bit more about copyright -.-'' This is the first week I've heard about it since I didn't open a shop untilll starting last week. My skills sometimes when I sell i give em away for free>(

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Also if fan art isn't allowed that means we can bearly sell anything but pixels of not stuff like sanrio or avi art and nothing else but stuff like that. Half the people have done wrong without knowing enough and you don't provide enough about copyright i never really get what it means and you say age is not an excuse?! people who are 9 might not understand clear enough about it so you suggested wikipedia huh? You know wikipedia can be edited meaning people can edit all of the info with one click. Even for someone whos an adult your pretty stupid to not remember that little important fact -.-''
Seth Tyler
Wow, the Copyright Infringement sections are really being crazed out here. I think I posted once before, but I guess this would be the best place to discuss it.

I'm a Web/Graphic Designer, and 3D Animator by trade, Professional and paid. It seems like the laws are so strict around here. I mean I can understand plagurism is a big deal, and infringement as well. but How can using or selling something you made based on something that is a copyrighted show, comic, or art illegal to use, when you are paid in Gaia Gold, hence not true currency. It's more of a trade like you would copyrighted baseball cards for a pack of gum. To sit here and gain permission from the creators of Buffy, Final Fantasy, Sailor Moon, or any other copyrighted material for use in selling or editing on Gaia is absurd it seems. The Law states you cannot use for sale. Only strict artists and designers would copyright something so you could never touch it.

Infact if someone can't make a banner from a Artist's artwork or a TV Show, there's over 20 registered guilds that would need to be investigated and shut down. Final Fantasy 7 Guild portrays a picture of Sephiroth from Advent Children (Sorry Fellas twisted ) Matrix RPGs can be found with the Kenji Code Source, that is copyrighted. There's a Buffy RP that displays the use of the names. Star Wars Guilds, and so on. If things are truly strict on people displaying banners in their shops, that are edited from these copyrighted resources, then 90% of the shops, Guilds, and Signatures would need to be removed asap.

None of which are being profit by, atleast with Real money. None of which are being used in disrespect of the original artwork, show, or person/s. In addition it's advertisement for them. Sure some arrogant artists or designers will fight it, but the majority wouldn't mind as long as you aren't pocketing their money.

I personally obtained the rights to build sprites for a group, of Final Fantasy. It took me 6 months and $500 to gain sourcebook copyright permission from Square-Enix. On top of that, one of the Lead supervisors from the Final Fantasy 7 game (Translated in English) stated "You didn't have to do that, but we appreciate the honesty and legal standards. We don't mind people using our sources as long as it's nonprofit. Heck you can make your own version of Final Fantasy sell the characters alone, and just use the name without selling the Final Fantasy Products."

Now Nonprofit stands for Usage without the means of payment in currency. Gaia Gold is not currency. It's the same as buying a card for time on Everquest or any MMORPG. It gets to things in the game and cannot be exchanged for money. So isn't this all nonsense? Maybe I'm the only one who may not understand the full reasons here. But if I couldn't open a shop to sell Superman sprites that I designed because of copyright, then Those guilds would need to be removed as well as signatures, banners, and so on. I just thought I'd throw in two cents, I might be out of line speaking of this. I love Gaia, but this Copyright stuff irks me. stressed

I'm coming from a slightly different vantage point, because I want to sell graphics made from fashion editorial images from magazines, but the images are still copyrighted, and I'm in the same boat basically.

I totally, and completely agree with you, though. Gaia Online takes their "currency" system way too seriously.
This Announcement thread is open for users to post in because some may have legitimate questions about how to avoid breaking the rules.

It is not open for the sake of debating about the rules or complaining amongst yourselves.

The reasons for the rules have been stated. The moderators and admins, having many different backgrounds and viewpoints, have put a great deal of thought into the rules. Any well-contrived example, analogy, or criticism that you can think of has been brought up and been dealt with behind the scenes, and therefore the rules are not up for questioning or debate. It is simply unproductive to argue.

The administrators and mods want Gaia to be a friendly place and wish to be as helpful and understanding as possible. The staff welcomes feedback, in the feedback forum.

If you continue to use this thread to complain about the rule and argue, the thread will be locked.

Questions about how to follow the rule, and is your shop OK, are welcome.
Park Ki Young
SuperTrunks4
Question: Ok so we can use images we dont own as long as we dont profit off it?

Yes, I'm still a little confused about that.
Using images that aren't entirely our's is okay, as long as
we don't use them to profit off of.Is that allowed..??

Using them merely for shop layout // banners, just
as long as we don't make a profit off of them, but still giving
credit to the artist and the source of where you found it.Is that okay..?

Beloved Hoarder

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Yes, you're free to use them as long as there's no gold involved. So you can make banners, shop layout headers, profile layouts etc. using them for yourself or for others for free only.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games