Welcome to Gaia! ::

Jersey DareDevil
stare being banned will be the least of your worries after, you see a law suit from a multi-million dollar corporation sweatdrop

That's ludicrous. Really, let's say I want to sell banners that use images from a Vogue Magazine photoshoot. The photographer, and the multi-million dollar corporation of Vogue could care less if some teenage amateur graphic designer is making virtual currency on an anime roleplaying website with just a little help from their images. They've got too much going on in their lives to be sniffing around Gaia searching for copyright violations.

If I may speak freely, and this is not intended to be insulting or offending to the creators and moderators of this website, but from my perception this place takes itself too seriously.
OK, what if you like get a picture off of the internet, like a coloring page one, adn then you color it on like paint or something. Then can you sell it?
It is okay to use pictures that you've taken yourself, right..??
Oh, also, how about images of singers, bands, etc.
Example::
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

7,850 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Invisibility 100
Uumm... can i use this one in my shop...? sweatdrop

User Image

It has three of your creations that i put up in this art that i had made... i don't know if you can still see them but they are there... sweatdrop

I just put up my shop you can delete it or something if you don't permit it... sweatdrop
Xehara
If you're wanting cheap stock images, i suggest iStock.com
I'm a member =)

Quote:
You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, display, reverse engineer or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as otherwise expressly permitted in this Membership Agreement and any other agreement entered into at the time such Content was downloaded (such as a Content License Agreement).

Next idea, Xehara? stare

Also, are you cracking down on the people selling PROFILES using these images? It's a double standard to let them do that. Yeah, you can get the profiles free on tektek, but a lot of Gaians are selling only and I'm pretty sure none of them own the images.
YAY thanks

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
You know that we wouldn't know all the creators since some are searched from google and etc. But graphics usually in TOU that all graphics have to be credited but it may take a bit to long for them to contact you back also. Also it would be to hard to sell stuff if you had to contact the creators. Lots more reasons but a law suit just because of graphics that mostly have credit on themD< mad Also nobody can own the images they use unless they draw it if you have to go through all that time -.-'' and some people are under the age of 12
What if you wanted to make plushies of Naruto characters?
Question: Ok so we can use images we dont own as long as we dont profit off it?
SuperTrunks4

Yes, I'm still a little confused about that.
Using images that aren't entirely our's is okay, as long as
we don't use them to profit off of.Is that allowed..??

Using them merely for shop layout // banners, just
as long as we don't make a profit off of them, but still giving
credit to the artist and the source of where you found it.Is that okay..?
So if we were to use an image of a fan created copyrighted character, then would we need to get permission from both the artist and the Creater of the image? For example say someone had a fan image of Goku, would one need to get in contact with the artist who drew goku, or the Akira himself?
Wow, the Copyright Infringement sections are really being crazed out here. I think I posted once before, but I guess this would be the best place to discuss it.

I'm a Web/Graphic Designer, and 3D Animator by trade, Professional and paid. It seems like the laws are so strict around here. I mean I can understand plagurism is a big deal, and infringement as well. but How can using or selling something you made based on something that is a copyrighted show, comic, or art illegal to use, when you are paid in Gaia Gold, hence not true currency. It's more of a trade like you would copyrighted baseball cards for a pack of gum. To sit here and gain permission from the creators of Buffy, Final Fantasy, Sailor Moon, or any other copyrighted material for use in selling or editing on Gaia is absurd it seems. The Law states you cannot use for sale. Only strict artists and designers would copyright something so you could never touch it.

Infact if someone can't make a banner from a Artist's artwork or a TV Show, there's over 20 registered guilds that would need to be investigated and shut down. Final Fantasy 7 Guild portrays a picture of Sephiroth from Advent Children (Sorry Fellas twisted ) Matrix RPGs can be found with the Kenji Code Source, that is copyrighted. There's a Buffy RP that displays the use of the names. Star Wars Guilds, and so on. If things are truly strict on people displaying banners in their shops, that are edited from these copyrighted resources, then 90% of the shops, Guilds, and Signatures would need to be removed asap.

None of which are being profit by, atleast with Real money. None of which are being used in disrespect of the original artwork, show, or person/s. In addition it's advertisement for them. Sure some arrogant artists or designers will fight it, but the majority wouldn't mind as long as you aren't pocketing their money.

I personally obtained the rights to build sprites for a group, of Final Fantasy. It took me 6 months and $500 to gain sourcebook copyright permission from Square-Enix. On top of that, one of the Lead supervisors from the Final Fantasy 7 game (Translated in English) stated "You didn't have to do that, but we appreciate the honesty and legal standards. We don't mind people using our sources as long as it's nonprofit. Heck you can make your own version of Final Fantasy sell the characters alone, and just use the name without selling the Final Fantasy Products."

Now Nonprofit stands for Usage without the means of payment in currency. Gaia Gold is not currency. It's the same as buying a card for time on Everquest or any MMORPG. It gets to things in the game and cannot be exchanged for money. So isn't this all nonsense? Maybe I'm the only one who may not understand the full reasons here. But if I couldn't open a shop to sell Superman sprites that I designed because of copyright, then Those guilds would need to be removed as well as signatures, banners, and so on. I just thought I'd throw in two cents, I might be out of line speaking of this. I love Gaia, but this Copyright stuff irks me. stressed
Seth Tyler
Wow, the Copyright Infringement sections are really being crazed out here. I think I posted once before, but I guess this would be the best place to discuss it.

I'm a Web/Graphic Designer, and 3D Animator by trade, Professional and paid. It seems like the laws are so strict around here. I mean I can understand plagurism is a big deal, and infringement as well. but How can using or selling something you made based on something that is a copyrighted show, comic, or art illegal to use, when you are paid in Gaia Gold, hence not true currency. It's more of a trade like you would copyrighted baseball cards for a pack of gum. To sit here and gain permission from the creators of Buffy, Final Fantasy, Sailor Moon, or any other copyrighted material for use in selling or editing on Gaia is absurd it seems. The Law states you cannot use for sale. Only strict artists and designers would copyright something so you could never touch it.

Infact if someone can't make a banner from a Artist's artwork or a TV Show, there's over 20 registered guilds that would need to be investigated and shut down. Final Fantasy 7 Guild portrays a picture of Sephiroth from Advent Children (Sorry Fellas twisted ) Matrix RPGs can be found with the Kenji Code Source, that is copyrighted. There's a Buffy RP that displays the use of the names. Star Wars Guilds, and so on. If things are truly strict on people displaying banners in their shops, that are edited from these copyrighted resources, then 90% of the shops, Guilds, and Signatures would need to be removed asap.

None of which are being profit by, atleast with Real money. None of which are being used in disrespect of the original artwork, show, or person/s. In addition it's advertisement for them. Sure some arrogant artists or designers will fight it, but the majority wouldn't mind as long as you aren't pocketing their money.

I personally obtained the rights to build sprites for a group, of Final Fantasy. It took me 6 months and $500 to gain sourcebook copyright permission from Square-Enix. On top of that, one of the Lead supervisors from the Final Fantasy 7 game (Translated in English) stated "You didn't have to do that, but we appreciate the honesty and legal standards. We don't mind people using our sources as long as it's nonprofit. Heck you can make your own version of Final Fantasy sell the characters alone, and just use the name without selling the Final Fantasy Products."

Now Nonprofit stands for Usage without the means of payment in currency. Gaia Gold is not currency. It's the same as buying a card for time on Everquest or any MMORPG. It gets to things in the game and cannot be exchanged for money. So isn't this all nonsense? Maybe I'm the only one who may not understand the full reasons here. But if I couldn't open a shop to sell Superman sprites that I designed because of copyright, then Those guilds would need to be removed as well as signatures, banners, and so on. I just thought I'd throw in two cents, I might be out of line speaking of this. I love Gaia, but this Copyright stuff irks me. stressed

heh he preached it! O.o;;; I have to say, i agree with him. He has alot of strong points.

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
N I G H T B R E E D
I had a minishop that was deleted because it somehow violated these rules. Yet, I didn't really break those rules. I wasn't selling those images. I was provided an example of my edditing skills. They were not for sale, they were for an example and nothing more.

SAme thing >( It was examples of graphic styles i can make >( and you noe if you have to pay REAL money to get permission for the images your actually losing more money than earning>( and Seth Tyler gots huge points there ^^ and you notice that not everyone has shops that have permission and only specific shops got targeted >( you notice like Seth said that almost no shops would be here if you looked closely thorugh all of em Also I don't have that kind of money to get permission if they do that. some ppl are kids and only make gold and sell stuff to enjoy it I like making graphics as a hobby even if im 11<tee hee haha> and the gold isn't so important and yes the copyright is crazy here and yes we don't make any profits out of selling graphics and gaia is a game games you DO NOT MAKE MONEY out of selling nething here

I don't make any profit for selling graphics i never did since my shop got shut down before i even sold anything and you notice that for example pixels you could draw hello kitty or ect. and you didn't ask for any permission to use the character it in my opinion is still like the copyright, the character originated from sanrio graphics are the same as pixels like that only you use the images i don't like the fact the only some people who work hard or not on graphics get deleted while others who do the same do not.

and gaia money to remind you isn't real and is only a game online and also i say like seth said gaia gold is NOT CURRENCY

stressed stressed stressed stressed stressed yes im ******** pissed right now <srry if swearing disturbs you> and you notice that if people had to do that or just get permission that took 6months and 500$ there would be almost no shops and some who did would easily get deleted

Plzzz I mean like what the hell you can't do this you can't waste money on just asking for permission and example i have around 1k in my bank im saving for university since its pretty important to me and if i use up half of it just to sell stuff for gaia gold which you don't make any profit out of only lose I would lose alot of money that is for education.

And we DONT MAKE PROFIT FROM USING THOSE IMAGES it won't make sense if your selling and not makingmoney if your supposed to earn money from selling

Totorochic is 21 on her devainart from what i saw but you notice you don't make any money! Even i noe that! and like i continue to say you possibly can loose money

How can you possibly make anything if your good at layouts for example. Images will be needed and totorochic said in an email she sent me saying"everyone else follows by these rules" or sumthing but not everyone meaning she is being unfair to me by saying "everyone" in a way. BUT NOT EVERYONE IS OBEYING BY THESE RULES SO MEANING IT WOULD EXACTLY NOT BE FAIR<opps-.-'' i left caps lock on> SuperTrunks4 said that
Quote:

We are selling items how do we not make profit?

thats all for now -.-'' goes to sleep

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Park Ki Young
SuperTrunks4

Yes, I'm still a little confused about that.
Using images that aren't entirely our's is okay, as long as
we don't use them to profit off of.Is that allowed..??

Using them merely for shop layout // banners, just
as long as we don't make a profit off of them, but still giving
credit to the artist and the source of where you found it.Is that okay..?

well from what i remember No... But if you do that you don't make any profit and even if you ask for permission you may have to pay alot for it or may take to long

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff