Welcome to Gaia! ::

Seeing as Gaia gold isn't actually REAL how is anyone actually profiting from anything?

Beloved Hoarder

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
the18thAngel: For any images you do not own, please check the terms on the site. If the site owns the images and state that you may use them, then go ahead. If they state that you're not to use them commercially, please e-mail them and ask as some sites will allow you to sell them for virtual money, and some don't. All anime images belong to the artists and companies that own them in Japan. A stock image site with anime images does not own the images, so no, you'll need to contact them in that case.

Kahime: If the coding is public knowledge, I see no reason to not use it. If someone states not to use their code for profitting, then please don't and find another which does. As for artists and images, I'd say most people don't mind the art being resized to fit inside something like a signature image map. If possible, contact them when you can.

Anyr: You e-mail the company asking for permission. Then you state you have permission and can show proof ie the e-mail in your shop.

CanTouchThis: You can use anime images in freebies as you won't be profitting from it ^_^

margarita salt: It is a virtual currency and profitting is still real even in that. You are taking someone else's work and selling it, therefore profitting from it. No one likes to see someone use their work for their own gain.

Friendly Friend

I'm not sure.. but if this is a custom minishop place, would recoloring sprites would mean i would have to contact the website who made/ripped/found the sprites?
It depends on the sprite.

Let's say you've got it on a doll base website, and if it says within the rules that you CAN use it for virtual profit so long as it's not just the base, and that you CAN edit with recoloring and all, then you can. Like, iflookscouldkill.org has all the rules laid out to you in their base pictures and their website's index.

But if it's, say, a Pokemon-based (just an example) sprite. If it is, you'll just have to contact Nintendo (or whatever company owns the series or whatnot), who has the sprite as their property, unless you're giving them away free.

In short, it all depends. Like if the sprite is on a fansite, you can't contact the fansite: You have to contact the owners of the series.
Let's face it, no one can use any images unless you drew it... I have seen no one ever give proof for their images...
This inclueds PNG, right?

oh, and.... i had another question...what was it.... ><
totorochic
Anyr: You e-mail the company asking for permission. Then you state you have permission and can show proof ie the e-mail in your shop.
But what if it is faked?

It's easy enough to fake anything these days. Saved AIM conversations for example...just change the HTML and you could "force" someone to harass you. E-mails, screen captures, hell even pictures and videos if you're good enough.

If someone said they had permission but you didn't think they did would you try to get the information out of the original owner? What if the owner didn't respond or what if the "artist" said that the deal was made to keep his privacy should anyone else ask, meaning the original owner "wouldn't tell you anyway" and all that stuff? O.o

I'm thinking too fast...

Oh, what if you draw the image yourself? IE, I draw a picture of Vash the Stampede with my own pen on my own paper and I scan it in with my own scanner and spiff it up in Photoshop. Will I not be able to sell it as part of something? I did not "invent" the character but I sure as heck did alot of work to make the picture...yeah, I doubt that would be allowed, huh? neutral Although, what if I said it was my own character but it just looked like Vash because he is, after all, one of my favorite anime characters and I tend to base my own characters off of things I like?

Edit: Oh, what if people wanted to have music in their profile but didn't want that white block from using that one program, wanted control buttons, but couldn't make it themselves? Would it be so horrible if I supplied the work into making the player for them and they want to hear a particular song? I have nothing to do with the song after all, and I'm not charging for it, I'm charging for the player which can play anything anyway.
I have a doubt, Me and my friends have a lot of websites, some of this are dedicated to Animes, Singers, Tv Programs, Etc..., and we have asked to the Artist/Companies/Owners/Etc... to use images/songs/videos in our websites, and we have permittion to use it to Show/Sell/Etc.. them, and sometimes we had paid To use/sell/show/etc.. it these images/songs/videos/etc.., sometimes we have not paid but we got permittion, but they ask us that we must to put a disclaimer in the website, and sometimes the people have to paid us to enter/register to our sites, how i'm owner of this sites which have permittion to Sell it (in this case), i can use that images/videos/songs/etc..???
Quote:
Without the prior written consent of the owner, modification of the materials, use of the materials on any other web site or networked computer environment, or use of the materials for any purpose other than personal, non-commercial use is a violation of the copyrights, trademarks, and other proprietary rights, and is prohibited.

This is personal use and non-profit seeing as the gold on this site is not real. This means anime images should be allowed, shouldn't they?

Source :- http://www.viz.com/copyrights
Sorry for double posting but can someone clarify my above statement?

Liberal Ladykiller

10,800 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
GuardianXD
Quote:
Without the prior written consent of the owner, modification of the materials, use of the materials on any other web site or networked computer environment, or use of the materials for any purpose other than personal, non-commercial use is a violation of the copyrights, trademarks, and other proprietary rights, and is prohibited.

This is personal use and non-profit seeing as the gold on this site is not real. This means anime images should be allowed, shouldn't they?

Source :- http://www.viz.com/copyrights

I'll quote an above post by a mod:

totorochic
It is a virtual currency and profitting is still real even in that. You are taking someone else's work and selling it, therefore profitting from it. No one likes to see someone use their work for their own gain.

7,450 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • First step to fame 200
Just trying to clarity, so I don't break any rules. I can make graphics with any images, as long as I don't get gold in return? I can make them for people for free, and thats okay?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games