Welcome to Gaia! ::

Error2
I usually download my brushes from a site that has copyrights essentially its a tool to create my own artwork like how someone used a program as a tool to create this website or the avatar images, but technically I can still use them right?

» If commercial use without the explicit permission of the brush creator isn't allowed, then selling graphics with the use of those brushes isn't allowed. If there's no mention of commercial usage in their rules, then creditting them is a must. <3
Myako
Don't "stock images" imply that you don't need permission from the owner? That's why they're called stock. confused

It's perfectly legitimate to provide a link back to their website, but you don't need to ask for permission.

» It depends on the stock provider. Some, if not most, require that you receive their permission before using their stock images for commercial purposes. Others don't care.

In cases like the former, you need their permission regardless of what they're called. In the latter, simply creditting them will do. ^^
Okay, so, just to be sure. . .

If you make fanart of an anime / show, and it's your own fanart, meaning you created it with your own hands, and didn't just find it off of Google or something, are you allowed to use it, even though the fanart is of a copyrighted anime / show?

Just to be sure.
Angel - Fallen
Okay, so, just to be sure. . .

If you make fanart of an anime / show, and it's your own fanart, meaning you created it with your own hands, and didn't just find it off of Google or something, are you allowed to use it, even though the fanart is of a copyrighted anime / show?

Just to be sure.

» Assuming it's fanart, not copied, traced or eyeballed, and you made it yourself... absolutely. <3
Sorry if this is addressed somewhere already, but what if I were to make a potential service involving these copyrighted things free, can I still accept donations? That would work, right?

for instance:

I open up a place where I'll make sigs and such for people, using renders, here's a private example (as in, "I made this for a friend on another forum for free" wink

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

As you can see it involves a picture of Rock Lee, drawn by Kishimoto. Is it ok to do this for others for free, but accept donations?

Thank you
EbbFlowe
Sorry if this is addressed somewhere already, but what if I were to make a potential service involving these copyrighted things free, can I still accept donations? That would work, right?

for instance:

I open up a place where I'll make sigs and such for people, using renders, here's a private example (as in, "I made this for a friend on another forum for free" wink

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

As you can see it involves a picture of Rock Lee, drawn by Kishimoto. Is it ok to do this for others for free, but accept donations?

Thank you

» No. Accepting donations is a form of payment for a service not 100% made by you. You're allowed to give these graphics away for free, but if you accept any gold or items in return, it is considered profitting.

For more information on this, read the Mini Shops rules and regulations:
]http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3944635

Questionable Lunatic

Question: ((Im pretty sure this is ok but not totally so I though I would ask.))

I have been making banners with photoshop for school and I was wondering if I could sell them on gaia for gold. I am using the photoshop brushes that I didnt make. Is this ok?

Beloved Hoarder

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
This is ok as long as you created everything else, although it is preferable that if you downloaded brushes from elsewhere that you credit where you got them from ^_^
Hello. Thank you for creating this announcement guide. I've seen a few mini shops, and I've decided to make my own "Art Shop," but I'm not sure how payment for my art will be made. All I know is that I have to conduct a trade.

I have a few questions:

1. How do I get the art to customer? E-mail? Just post it? Is there a preferred way to do this?

2. Is there any safeguard in a situation where someone may cancel a trade after giving them the art? Does this happen often?

3. What if the customer wants to see the art before they pay for it? Or are all of the shops on a "pay first, before anything else" type of basis?

Thanks. smile
Another Question:

Is it alright to use the royalty-free images from getty images?
so it says that we may not sell items that you can download off of a site,
what if on the site you create an image using there program is that ok to sell?

Friendly Lunatic

7,400 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Let's say I own a certain program that comes with patterns. Would using these be acceptable? What about clipart that comes with a program?

Friendly Lunatic

7,400 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Dressed Up 200
um... and what if some one buys, like, 4 banners/sigs/whatever from us, and we see that they are, in fact, huge fans of (naruto/fruits basket/harry potter/whatever) can we toss in a banner for free? As thanks for their patronage? and if they like a specific actor musician, can we use a picture of them? Not as in, captain jack sparrow, but as in johnny depp on the red carpet?

edit: and what if we wanted to do a parody off a commercial, like those got milk commercials? example: make a banner that says, "got duck" and have a duck picture on it.
mad9
Hello. Thank you for creating this announcement guide. I've seen a few mini shops, and I've decided to make my own "Art Shop," but I'm not sure how payment for my art will be made. All I know is that I have to conduct a trade.

I have a few questions:

1. How do I get the art to customer? E-mail? Just post it? Is there a preferred way to do this?

2. Is there any safeguard in a situation where someone may cancel a trade after giving them the art? Does this happen often?

3. What if the customer wants to see the art before they pay for it? Or are all of the shops on a "pay first, before anything else" type of basis?

Thanks. smile

1. Most people PM the art to their customer upon completion. ^^

2. If you are exposed to a situation like that, you can most definitely report the user for scamming you. If they do not front you the payment for the work you have done, they could get in trouble. <3

3. A solution to a problem like that is watermarking the finished order with for example faded 'SAMPLE' written over it, and sending that to the customer so they can see the general outcome of the art before you two complete the payment and you send the non-watermarked art piece to them. ^^

I hope that helps. heart
mad9
Another Question:

Is it alright to use the royalty-free images from getty images?

» You can pay a one off fee for each image and then use it for profit. But the preview image can only be used for non-commercial use, meaning non-profitable use. ^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games