8,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Who Else Plays An Instroment?
~I play 4: Saxophone, Flute, Guitar, & Keyboard
~I play in Jazz band & middle school band
~Im 1st chair on Saxophone
Anyone have any tips for me? Id love help so i can maintain 1st chair in highschool sweatdrop

0_DaisyDoodles_0's One That Got Away

I play a little bit of piano and am learning the accordion c:
I'd give ya tips if I could, but I don't have any at all! D:
Sorry! But I do wish you luck! I'm sure you'll do just fine! C:

Lonely Waffles

8,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
xXAkatsuXx

Thanks chu, goodluck with the accordion btw. Those things are so pimp! lawl 3nodding

0_DaisyDoodles_0's One That Got Away

Mikanzy
xXAkatsuXx

Thanks chu, goodluck with the accordion btw. Those things are so pimp! lawl 3nodding

You're super welcome! And thank you! xD
They arree xD I love them :3 Their sound is so intetresting x3

Heavy as bloody heck though 8L;

High-functioning OTP

23,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
        Coming from a first flute and piccolo in high school in the top band -

Practice makes permanent, not perfect.

If you practice at home, make sure you have the fingering down and you have everything marked down. Crescendos, staccatos, and even fingerings if you still need them. Learn your scales: chromatic, flats, sharps, disonant, etc. You can combine these too and literally create hundreds of scales; these only help your fingers to grow faster and smarter. These are the best way to improve, period. As for tones and pitch, make sure your flute / tenor sax is in tip-top shape and same with you. Keep a tuner and beatMaster (as we call them in school) to aid you. these are small investments for a better experience.

At school, make sure you have the right notes down and the right rythmns down first before you start playing loud and proud; ot ruin a phrase in a piece will only ruin it for everyone, and they too will also ruin it. Mentality is key; if you play it perfectly once, keep practicing it until you can't miss a note, and play with confidence. Music sounds better that way. It's ok to admit to your teacher that you need help with songs; ask to see if they are able to help you after school with your pieces. If anything, they are experts in music theory and are probably masters at playing an instrument; it may not be yours, but music teachers are supposed to be capable of playing any instrument regardless of their preference. they should be able to help you; most if not all play more than one instrument.

For the tenor sax, I played that for the jazz band at school (only second-best) and my only recommendation is that you keep spare reeds at hand and cork grease. If you can't get cork grease, chapstick will do (don't do this often, just when you don't have any at hand; this will wreck the cork and have costly consequences if done frequently). Play on new ones so that they don't have that quirky sound to them. Break them in; and if you need anything else, just quote me if you so wish.

c:

Distinct Wolf

1,950 Points
  • Member 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Dressed Up 200
heart I play keyboard, electric guitar, Ocarina, in music genders as rock, classical, experimental, techno, punk. I am leraning to play cello 3nodding Is awesome to play music is nice you play as well... rofl

5,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
Hello! I also play wind instruments.
I started on the clarinet 8 years ago and still play it as my main instrument today.
I've been playig the Alto Saxophone on and off for 6 years.
And I picked up French Horn (or mellophone for marching band) 3 years ago as my first brass instrument.
I play a bit of the bassoon as well! But I'm not very good at it, although I just started 2 years ago.
I've been teaching myself piano as well. Haha, oh and I plan on becoming a band director when I finish college. I love conducting, helping my fellow classmates with music, and having fun with music in general. 3nodding

Lonely Waffles

8,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Sekkz
Hello! I also play wind instruments.
I started on the clarinet 8 years ago and still play it as my main instrument today.
I've been playig the Alto Saxophone on and off for 6 years.
And I picked up French Horn (or mellophone for marching band) 3 years ago as my first brass instrument.
I play a bit of the bassoon as well! But I'm not very good at it, although I just started 2 years ago.
I've been teaching myself piano as well. Haha, oh and I plan on becoming a band director when I finish college. I love conducting, helping my fellow classmates with music, and having fun with music in general. 3nodding

Thats awesome, your love of music will take you far, i hope you become an amazing band director. Lol music is really fun, im glad you enjoy it too. Its a wonderous thing
I play the piano, the oboe, the drums (and other percussions), the bass, the guitar, and I sing.

For a fellow woodwind, make sure you keep your reeds fresh, old reeds sound terrible. Also, make sure you keep up with a strong embouchure. You probably don't have this problem if you keep practicing, but I was the idiot who quit the oboe and then decided to pick it back up later... It was really painful... So yeah, make sure you don't let those muscles get out of practice!

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
I play clarinet, bass clarinet, bass guitar, piano, and balalaika. I want to learn to play the saxophone, cello, ocarina, pan flutes, and harp.

I'm not good with advice, sorry.

Edit: My ocarina is arriving within a few days.
Piano, percussion and fife. I am very, very bad at the fife, because I can only practice for half of the year.

Blessed Phantom

↳i play a a bucket of instruments, piano, trumpet, flugelhorn, tuba, bass guitar violin, but my first was flute!
      as for tips and such, i agree with everything hikari had to say, practice practice! your scales are your friends, especially your chromatic. like she said, it's not bad to ask your teacher for help if you need it, and a beatmaster (or doctorbeat, as my school calls them) is always an option for help. help out your section, trying to teach others might help you teach yourself! at least in my experience it has. and always, enjoy your music! you're playing because it's what you like to do, and that's always how it should be.
      hope this lends some help!
      -jp

Dapper Citizen

2,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I'm mostly into stringed instruments, but back in my grade school days, I started on trumpet and slowly transitioned to lower instruments until I was playing tuba. But I've always played guitar, and I really want to learn banjo and shamisen in the near future.

It's like those other peoples are saying, lots of scales and practicingification. You'll probably be better off than I was, I was kind of a band slacker.

Black Snow 303 rolled 20 6-sided dice: 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 6, 2, 4, 3, 2, 3, 2, 4, 6, 1, 6, 1, 6, 6, 4 Total: 65 (20-120)

I play piano mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen exclaim exclaim rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl dramallama dramallama dramallama dramallama
I heart Piano

I spazzed out.

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
I play piano properly, like have lessons and that.

I did play clarinet, but stopped.

I also play ukulele, penny whistle and melodica. But I don't have lessons, and if you cna play piano you can play melodica!

I'm learning to play accordian as well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces