Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I've been in regular plays and improvisation shows but I've never been in a musical. Although, it is one of my dreams to be in a musical. The only problem is, I cannot sing. I enjoy singing (especially in the car) but I don't have a great voice at all. So here's my question: do you have to be a great singer to be in a musical, lead or otherwise? Is it at all possible for me to be a better singer by way of classes so that one day I may be in a musical?

The only way that I can think of for me to be in a musical is if I played a character where good singing isn't necessary, you understand?

Anyway, your opinions are highly valued. Thank you!

Ladykiller

yes, obviously you're not going to be casted as a lead in a musical if you can't sing. it is possible to learn how to sing through classes, lots of famous singers take/took classes.

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
Sai CheechHatesClowns
So I've been in regular plays and improvisation shows but I've never been in a musical. Although, it is one of my dreams to be in a musical. The only problem is, I cannot sing. I enjoy singing (especially in the car) but I don't have a great voice at all. So here's my question: do you have to be a great singer to be in a musical, lead or otherwise? Is it at all possible for me to be a better singer by way of classes so that one day I may be in a musical?

The only way that I can think of for me to be in a musical is if I played a character where good singing isn't necessary, you understand?

I had the same problem. I was worried I wouldn't be able to do musicals,
because I could not sing at all.. But what I've learned, is practice and experience HELP.

What I came to realize, is that I actually CAN sing. I just wasn't singing the right kind of songs for my vocal range.. I discovered that songs from musicals, I could sing just fine. But songs on the radio, I couldn't sing. I'm still not the greatest singer in the world, but as long as you're confident, very loud and expressive, you should have no trouble getting a part, even the lead role!

Also remember to practice, practice, practice! I used to come home from school [not in school anymore though] and sing for at least 2 hours.. Watch videos on youtube that give tips on how to sing with vibrato, breathing excercises, how to sing from the diaphragm, etc.

Good luck! =]
wiccan_sk8er
Sai CheechHatesClowns

I had the same problem. I was worried I wouldn't be able to do musicals,
because I could not sing at all.. But what I've learned, is practice and experience HELP.

What I came to realize, is that I actually CAN sing. I just wasn't singing the right kind of songs for my vocal range.. I discovered that songs from musicals, I could sing just fine. But songs on the radio, I couldn't sing. I'm still not the greatest singer in the world, but as long as you're confident, very loud and expressive, you should have no trouble getting a part, even the lead role!

Also remember to practice, practice, practice! I used to come home from school [not in school anymore though] and sing for at least 2 hours.. Watch videos on youtube that give tips on how to sing with vibrato, breathing excercises, how to sing from the diaphragm, etc.

Good luck! =]

Thank you so much! Great answer. But how do you find out your vocal range, do I need a teacher or can I figure it out myself via youtube? xD

I do have a semi high pitched voice, would that tend to mean that I would have a high pitched singing range as well?

Sorry, I know nothing about singing!

Dangerous Genius

Sai CheechHatesClowns

Well some characters have easy singing parts, so I'd suggest those also, not all of the characters have solos. You should also just try playing an ensemble character with minimal of no lines, It'll help to train your voice in a choir or an ensemble. Also though you cannot lead in a musical you can be some manner of principle.

Clean Member

In a school production or something of that caliber, I've noticed it's not really necessary to be anything but mediocre if you're looking for a smaller part, like a chorus member. Although it's still an annoyance to those of us who can sing, lol.

Dangerous Explorer

6,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
It depends. On the lovelyness that is Broadway, it's all about the voice. Most leads have vocal backgrounds, so I'd say, try a class or two to see if it's just the range, or you might just be out of luck for a lead. crying

Liberal Smoker

People above says what is true.
Here are the steps

yum_tea Find your genre (where your voice is suited best)
yum_tea Pick an Idol from your genre
yum_tea Go for vocal Lessons

It helps alot, contrary to most popular belief that taking vocal lessons will take out your natural voice. THAT ISNT TRUE> It depends if your vocal teacher is teaching you right stuff out there.
Vocal Lessons will teach your principles and vocal technique

Hot Millionaire

OG Gaian

9,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Sai CheechHatesClowns

To be in a musical, you don't have to have thunderstriking pipes! BUT
it helps to know how to read music, and know what your singing.
It also helps to be extremely dramatic-theatrical. You can definitely get away with being in chorus if there is alot of dancing, because half of the time choreography and not have an amazing voice. You can also get away with having a part that may not require 'pure' singing like a lead, but you can definitely get a character that sings theatrically. For instance a character thats quirky and has a thick accent, so singing ' in character' could do you well.
Musicals are fun because you get to have something in common with everyone, the music. Its not just dialogue, its music.
Also, training outside of the musical-drama is greatly encouraged, especially if it is something your interested in. It strangthens your voice, determination, ethic and just helps understand the music-theatre portion all around.
My problem is, I can't act unless I sing. Its weird. I can sort-of act, buts its all generic, and cold readings just about kill me...whereas if I'm always singing, I'm constantly able to stay in character and emotion.
Which is why I'm going in for opera, and not musical theatre .
Musical Theater Grad here smile

To be in a musical the only thing you need to have is what the director is looking for.

So, in real life it all comes to what the director is looking for...
Some directors will "sacrifice" singing voice for acting skill, acting skill for looks, looks for singing voice, acting skills for dancing skills, looks for height, and so on.

The best you can do is work on improving everything about yourself. Take singing lessons, take acting lessons, take dancing classes, research on your favorite shows, look for new shows, audition for everything and anything, keep moving forward. That way you know you're the best you can be and it's up to the casting director to decide if you're right for the part or not...

Also, know what parts you're right for, though this is becoming less of a norm since everything's been changing around recently... But for example, a white girl will never be Lil' Inez in Hairspray. Elle Woods will never be portrayed by a black girl, etc etc etc.
You should take singing lessons. You should be able to carry a tune if anything.

Also, know you're type. If you're an ingenue, which are typically the sopranos, you're going to need a better signing voice. The comedic actors can (most mezzo/alto), can typically get away with an okay voice.

Friendly Poster

You don't need any skills to be in a musical. It helps if your going to try out for Broadway or want a main part, or are going to try out for something that doesn't cast everyone, but in all honestly, I've seen people, no dancing skills, learn how to tap dance to full extent. It's all about the learning. Before this guy could tap dance, he still got cast for huge parts, because of his acting abilities, sure he could sing, but he couldn't carry the correct notes. It all really depends.

Beloved Bloodsucker

It may be hard be here are some key points for you to think on:
1.If you're a lead,you will have solos.Solos mean you have to have confidence in your abilities.
2.It's a big commitment to try and "learn" to sing.Esspecially if you haven't ever sung in front of an audience.
3.Musical=vocal coach.They teach you intonation and pitch.If you can't do that yourself,they'll show you.
4.Songs in musicals often have a VERY wide range for singers.I used to have a very small,medium range between alto(low female voices) and soprano(high female voices,highest you can go in the typical four part harmony).You might need to work on scales for awhile to get your range were you need it to be.
5.They often aren't as critical as you think at auditions.
6.I know a bounty of people who can't sing and still do musicals so don't sweat it!

smile Hope I helped!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces