I'm having some singing troubles.
I always notice that when I try to sing really loudly,
like with a more powerful voice,

it always feels like my throat is straining,
and my voice gets very, very breathy...
Almost like I'm singing in the wind.
It's not a solid, bold, strong voice,
but very weak, air-like almost.

Does anyone know any excercises I could try to build my voice stronger?
So that I don't sound this way when I sing?
It would be MUCH appreciated!
Thanks!

OG Gaian

9,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Its hard to say, need to hear you to properly help. BUT! Whats helps is by singing in head-voice, and strength comes with time and practice and growth.

Dangerous Explorer

6,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Practice, practice, practice!
And always warm up before singing, it helps alot!
Drink lots of water,
AND IF IT HURTS, STOP IMMEDIATELY. YOU CAN DAMAGE YOUR VOICE.

Liberal Smoker

wiccan_sk8er
Hi all.
I'm having some singing troubles.
I always notice that when I try to sing really loudly,
like with a more powerful voice,

it always feels like my throat is straining,
and my voice gets very, very breathy...
Almost like I'm singing in the wind.
It's not a solid, bold, strong voice,
but very weak, air-like almost.

Does anyone know any excercises I could try to build my voice stronger?
So that I don't sound this way when I sing?
It would be MUCH appreciated!
Thanks!

could you record yourself singing? and then speak something after that. Lets see

Dangerous Genius

Just breath exercises you can't really alter your voice as much as you want to but practice raising your soft pallette, breathing and resonance. If your face doesn't vibrate while singing, you are probably doing it wrong and not your nose, your cheekbones or underneath them and your teeth.

Hope I helped

Quotable Sex Symbol

Practice scales and head voice, and if you don't see much improvement it could be something else. Try making sure you're allowing enough space in the back of your throat (imagine you're yawning almost) and try opening your mouth more when you sing. It may seem silly and over-dramatic, but it helps produce a stronger sound.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Have some exercises that I use. Warning: I'm just now getting over a sinus infection/bronchitis, so this was actual work as well as a demonstration.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0jCekeQc05Q

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
AkaTsuki-chan
Have some exercises that I use. Warning: I'm just now getting over a sinus infection/bronchitis, so this was actual work as well as a demonstration.

This is awesome! biggrin I haven't listened to the entire thing,
but as soon as I heard your grasshopper comment, I had to reply xP

I am deathly afraid of grasshoppers o_o
So I was like yay! She dislikees them to.
Okay, I'm going to finish the recording now. >,<

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
wiccan_sk8er
AkaTsuki-chan

This is awesome! biggrin I haven't listened to the entire thing,
but as soon as I heard your grasshopper comment, I had to reply xP

I am deathly afraid of grasshoppers o_o
So I was like yay! She dislikees them to.
Okay, I'm going to finish the recording now. >,<

Lol they're awful. I turned on the lights in one section of the garage and I heard all this 'thud thud thud tink thud tink' sounds, and it was all the grasshoppers that I scared freaking out and running elsewhere. emotion_puke

I kind of ramble a little bit, so sorry. x___x
Breath support first of all. Lay down and breath. Notice how the air goes to the bottom of the lungs naturally, pushing down your diaphragm and causing your belly to pop out a little (that your guts getting squished... gross I know). If you take big deep breaths like this before onset you'll have much stronger voice. Also, make sure your throat is open. Remember that phonation is merely air vibrating your vocal chords. None of the muscles in your neck are actually required to make sound. A change in pitch is activated by your brain, not by gripping neck muscles. When warming up (scales and such) move your head from side to side and roll it around to keep the neck loose. If you feel like your straining, that'll be your biggest issue. Another thing to try to loosen your neck muscles is lying on the ground and moaning. The freedom you feel when making those noises is what you should feel when you're singing. Doing tongue rolls up and down the scale help warm up your voice without gripping. These exercises will give you a stronger voice all around. Practice daily (even 10 minute tongue rolls) and you'll find a difference. Remember, it only takes 3 days for your voice to loose it's elasticity. It's like a muscle. Just keep stretching it to get flexibility. Good luck smile happy singing!
Here's an example of the tongue roll I mentioned. Let me know if you like some more exercises and I can record some for you.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1lh4A3IWOiG

OG Gaian

9,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Lie down on your stomach on a flat surface, with your head turned , take a deep breathe filling your lungs and sing long phrases, squeezing your diaphragm for support. Then sing short staccato phrases, using your diaphragm/gut and pulsate as you sing.
The biggest thing about singing stronger is not with your voice--then your straining. You need to use your muscles in your lower abdomen for support and sustenance and that is where your voice comes in. Its supposed to float on top of all those things.
Also this also depends on what your trying to sing--but they all typically come down to this.

No matter what though, your supposed to feel pressure in your lower gut, not your voice. If its in your throat--then its wrong. Also, make sure that when you stand, your feet are flat against the ground, aligned with your shoulders to the ground, and knees are slightly bent (not locked) to allow circulation ( this helps breath support).
Your symptoms sound alot like you havent found the right place to sing from yet. There is an empty circle in the middle of your head (right behind your nose/ DO NOT SING with your nose). If you are singing properly and you put your fingers on the sides of your nose, you should feel vibrations. You straining your throat is you manually closing off your pipes to enable yourself to hit higher notes. Some singers do use this method but in trade they send their vocal noises backwards, through the back of their head, muffling clarity but allowing you to hit much higher notes. This method is NOT right for everyone though. If your throat hurts, stop singing immediately. Oh yeah and i dont know who it was but YESYESYESYES vocal warmups. Oh yeah, the way you can learn to sing properly is an exercise called going up and down scales that are within your range in staccato. Geewwwwdddluckkkk maaa jigggaaa.
Just want to mention something. I noticed some other people using the word "squeeze". I would strongly advise against squeezing ANYTHING! DO NOT SQUEEZE! Squeezing= tenseness= poor sound quality= vocal injury. Nothing you do should feel like straining.It's all about being relaxed and letting your voice come out. (relax that tongue too. I know you want to tense it wink Keep it loose and forward. Don't let it strain or pull back).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff