Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Market Browser 100
  • Citizen 200
Ok this is just for some tips, i am playing a mans part and i cant get the accent down, do any of you know how i could practice or have some tips for getting it right? it would be very helpfull, thanks! cat_mrgreen
Here's a tip: Drop the ridiculous idea all western world seems to have that all Russians sound like Peter Stormare.
Most of us don't have any accent whatsoever when speaking English, that's what real "russian accent" is.

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Market Browser 100
  • Citizen 200
Code compiling
Here's a tip: Drop the ridiculous idea all western world seems to have that all Russians sound like Peter Stormare.
Most of us don't have any accent whatsoever when speaking English, that's what real "russian accent" is.

I already realize that not all of them have accents, im not dumb. I just have to have an accent for the play. we cant have someone saying they are russian, noone in my town would buy it and would say it would have stood out better with one. this is for acting purposes.
This westerner never realized talking about Russian accents could possibly be offensive. In the English language, I have a slight southern accent: a dialect connected with serotypes such as being unintelligent and uncivilized… I’ve heard that people who live farther north of here actually believe we don’t wear shoes down here. None of this is true. Case and point… I would WAY rather have a Russian accent.

On an even less helpful note, I had to study accents and dialects once. We did it through the International Phonetic Alphabet. No clue how to instruct you on where to go from there, but IPA helped me when I was taking that class and we did cover “Russian” accents. Maybe search the internet for IPA Russian accent helps?
teendevil109
Code compiling

I already realize that not all of them have accents, im not dumb. I just have to have an accent for the play. we cant have someone saying they are russian, noone in my town would buy it and would say it would have stood out better with one. this is for acting purposes.

confused
I wish the rest of the world would get it too. We have internet => people watch movies without Russian dub => people's stereotypical accent is gone.

My friend has a mic, so she read some with strong "russian" accent: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0PjhdWJaHcZ

Basically, Russian "R" is pronounced with tongue tip closer to your teeth. (think of the rotary engine sounds kids make)
"W"s sound is not commonly used in Russian, so substitute it with "v" sound.
Use "z" sound instead of "th" in words such as "this".
And there you go - a recipe to perfect Peter Stormare accent people know and love.

Friendly Heckler

As far as I'm aware, the way Russian grammar works, there is no exact word equivalent to 'a' or 'an' (and possibly 'the', although that is hearsay). I have a Russian co-worker who very occasionally will drop one or the other from a sentence. This doesn't happen very often, but does serve to remind that English is his second language. Don't drop it constantly (or speak in third person, I've no clue why people use that to represent Russian), but maybe once every few paragraphs.
(
I'm not a Russian speaker myself, take all this with a grain of salt, please.

Angelic Phantom

Hmm, the only thing I seem to get somewhat decent when trying to do a Russian accent is the "L". Like if I were to say "love", it comes out as something more like "uhlove"... like the "L" is deeper in the mouth and not closer to the front. Eh, it's mostly how I've been hearing it my entire life, since one of my grandparents is from Russia.

Ah, and yeah, I don't think "the" has an equivalent in Russian, but "that" does (sounds like "eta" ). Double negatives are allowed in Russian (but not in English - example, I didn't not look).

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Do they want it to sound fake or authentic? Because it's theatre they love a lot of over the top things lol.

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Market Browser 100
  • Citizen 200
DJ Twissta
Do they want it to sound fake or authentic? Because it's theatre they love a lot of over the top things lol.

They want it to be a little bit over the top xD they think it will sound cool against so many others with no accents

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
teendevil109
DJ Twissta

They want it to be a little bit over the top xD they think it will sound cool against so many others with no accents
You can work on a fake one, and one you think sounds accurate to how Russians really speak, and test them both with your director to see :3 Or you could also ask your Director for some examples of what he/she wants.

4,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Market Browser 100
  • Citizen 200
DJ Twissta
teendevil109
DJ Twissta

You can work on a fake one, and one you think sounds accurate to how Russians really speak, and test them both with your director to see :3 Or you could also ask your Director for some examples of what he/she wants.

thanks ill do that at my next practice biggrin

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
teendevil109
DJ Twissta
teendevil109
DJ Twissta

thanks ill do that at my next practice biggrin

You're welcome!

4,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
What I would do is just watch many different videos with the accent and record yourself, and play it back until you can do the accent with out thinking about it. wink
If this is for "You Can't Take It With You" I'd be insanely happy

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces