Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
I have an audition for a musical in about a week..
For the musical, we have to read from the script and perform a song.
Now, I don't have much experience with the 'singing' part of theater.

So, for my audition, i'm going to perform a song from a musical.
What i mean is, everyone else is just going to be standing on stage, and sing a song.
But I'm going to perform a song, as in act it out while I'm singing it..

I'm going to be the only person doing this, and I'm feeling embarassed.
I just don't want to look like a fool >.<

Any advice?
Don't be embarrassed. The directors really look for that kind of stuff. They don't like to see people just singing a song with no emotion. They look for people like you! Who do gestures, who smile, who change their singing style to fit the mood of the song. People won't make fun of you, if anything they should want to be like you!!!
Miss Cupcake is right, directors look for actors, not just regular singers. Yes, it helps if you have a good voice, but a good voice isn't always an indicator of skill. Good acting is a skill that many don't possess. That is what will truly make you shine.
Don't be nervous, just be you!
Fact: the auditors are going to notice your dedication right away. It'll make you stand out big time and that's a very good thing. Don't half a** it though. If your going to do this for real, don't let them see you shake. Own that stage (no happy feet either). Ground yourself and don't move because you think the part of the song needs a generic movement, move because the song inspires you. Perform it as a monologue a few times and see what you do naturally and do those movements in the song. It's not just a song. Tell the story. Break a leg mate smile
Akin to the previous replies, it's true.... Don't be embarrassed. Directors notice these kinds of things, along with the usual: good projection, articulation, tone, register, dynamic and so on. It shows that you care about the show, and that you are willing to work hard to make the show better, personally this something I always look for when casting, and coaching. However, a musical is still theater, meaning that you do have to act. Thus in your case, your doing a good thing. If you don't feel too comfortable doing this, the only solution is of course practice. Recognize the character you are playing, and try portraying that character as many times, in as many diffident ways, as possible. Do this over and over until you have found gestures and movements that you feel comfortable doing, and you think will entertain your audience. Don't be afraid, try it front of the mirror so that you keep in mind what you look like, especially if you are your biggest critic. Also, I applaud you for wanting to do this, don't be afraid to use the stage as much as possible, movement can say more about the character than the text. Try it lip singing, and practice only moving, and "vice versa".
When you feel embarrassed, let that anxious adrenaline keep you going.
My dear friend, Good Luck! Push fear aside, because after all you have the courage to get on stage to begin with, what could anymore hurt~ An artist is an artist, and no one can take that away from you by making you feel embarrassed. With your attitude, your going to to great!.
Arkadina
Fact: the auditors are going to notice your dedication right away. It'll make you stand out big time and that's a very good thing. Don't half a** it though. If your going to do this for real, don't let them see you shake. Own that stage (no happy feet either). Ground yourself and don't move because you think the part of the song needs a generic movement, move because the song inspires you. Perform it as a monologue a few times and see what you do naturally and do those movements in the song. It's not just a song. Tell the story. Break a leg mate smile

I agree with this statement, big time!

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
Be confident, and own it, I say!

Within reason, though. Acting out the song with appropriate gestures and facial expressions is great, but if you're like, rolling around on the floor and doing cheesy gesticulations (e.g.: If your lyrics were like, "I was rowing a boat" and you made over-the-top rowing motions, then the next line was, "Looking out to sea," and you acted like you were shielding your eyes from the sun and gazing at the horizon, that could look really goofy and take away from the singing itself.) that might be distracting.

Don't roll around on the floor or flail your arms like a maniac, but definitely take a step or two forward when it's your turn and own that stage. A few steps to either side, a clear investment in the song you're performing (if you're completely comfortable to all outward appearances) is MONEY.
This is not something to be self-conscious about. This is a musical you're interested in and you've just taken a bigger step than any of the other actors auditioning by choosing to sing. If you could remind yourself of your talents and boldness in making this decision, you will nail this. Best of luck to you. : )
wiccan_sk8er
I have an audition for a musical in about a week..
For the musical, we have to read from the script and perform a song.
Now, I don't have much experience with the 'singing' part of theater.

So, for my audition, i'm going to perform a song from a musical.
What i mean is, everyone else is just going to be standing on stage, and sing a song.
But I'm going to perform a song, as in act it out while I'm singing it..

I'm going to be the only person doing this, and I'm feeling embarassed.
I just don't want to look like a fool >.<

Any advice?

Think about it this way, you're auditioning, the people you'll be doing this in front of are auditioning as well. I've been in the same position, and here's how I get over any form of stage fright:

If you're on stage, it's not weird or stupid to break out into song, what would be more embarrassing is to stand in the corner of the stage, singing quietly to myself.

Everyone else is probably just as frightened as you are, you're not alone here. Yes you might have to act out more, if that's what you are going to do, but in the end, it's for the play. So when you think about it, you're just giving it all you got, and telling them bitches "NO! IM THE STAR! BACK OFF!" Look at Lady Gaga (not sure if you're a fan of hers but... it's a good example) She takes the stage, squirts blood from her breasts, screams, and hatches from an egg. And then what? She wins TONS of awards, and gains the largest following in the world. And all the other artists out there can only watch with their mouths wide open in envy at this magnificent performer.

Rainbow Phantom

7,700 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Do whatever you want, and don't care about anyone else there.

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
Incredibly Awkward

This is an old-ish thread, but I just had to say that your avatar is completely adorbs! emotion_kirakira

Rainbow Phantom

7,700 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
wiccan_sk8er
Incredibly Awkward

This is an old-ish thread, but I just had to say that your avatar is completely adorbs! emotion_kirakira

Haha, I see that now. I'm really late... sweatdrop
How did your audition go? And thank you whee

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
Incredibly Awkward
wiccan_sk8er
Incredibly Awkward

Your welcome! Auditions went really good, actually.
I got a lead role. =D

Tonight, unfortunately, was the last show and cast party.
I'm heartbroken D: But it was an amazing experience,
and changed my life completely.

Rainbow Phantom

7,700 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
wiccan_sk8er
Incredibly Awkward
wiccan_sk8er
Incredibly Awkward

Your welcome! Auditions went really good, actually.
I got a lead role. =D

Tonight, unfortunately, was the last show and cast party.
I'm heartbroken D: But it was an amazing experience,
and changed my life completely.

That's good! I'm glad you had fun. emotion_c8

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out