Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, I need to have two contrasting monologues to get into a theatre program and unfortunately my play knowledge is limited. I was thinking a comedic and serious one.

For the comedic one would it be too out there to use part of Maureen's protest from the musical Rent? I think I could do that one really well

any help would be much appreciated! smile

Anxious Fairy

I hope this isn't to late!

Don't do monolouges from musicals. Some directors dislike it.
What I do is look up plays online and go to the library. Read character descriptions and if any resonate with you skim the play for a monologue from that character.

If you tell me your character type I might be able to suggest a few plays.
AVOID MONOLOGUES FROM MUSICALS!! they come across unprofessional. going for a modern and a classic shakespeare is usually the best approach. the play DNA has a pretty lighthearted monologue about human nature by the character Leah, its pretty funny too - you get to say the f word and talk about monkeys getting it on. good shakespeares id suggest 'how lucky some o other some can be', helenas monologue from A Midsummer Nights Dream, orrrrrrr a good old dramatic Hamlet speech. not the obvious - as tempting as 'to be or not to be' may sound - but the one that begins 'oh that this too too solid flesh'. or the one where he gets all crazy with his mother and the whole oedipus thing comes about.
Do your best to avoid doing a comedic monologue. I know this may sound counter-intuitive but contrasting monologues really just means two pieces that show a good range (distinguishable characters). This isn't to say that directors don't like comedic monologues. It's just that they tend to come off as gimmicky and often are written without any stakes. A monologue should ask and answer the question "What does this character want?" The rest of the piece should show a range of different tactics the character is using to get what they want. Also don't be afraid to claim characters who are a different gender than you. Finding great monologues as a girl can be tough since so much of theatre has been written for men.
Check out Rabbit Hole by David Lindsay-Abaire and Red by Logan for a ton of really great ones. The "Once more unto the Breech" speech in Henry V is one of my favorite Shakespeare piece that doesn't often get done. Puck's speech in Midsummer is also really great- just be sure you're ready to get physical. You'll want to show your audience with your words and actions the scenes which he describes there.
Remember it's not about doing the monologue with the same voice as the actors before you, it's about finding your own original interpretation in your own voice. Pull out the parts which spoke the most to you. There's no right answer.
Break a leg! heart

Distinct Leaf

5,875 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Friendly 100
Both of your monologues should be on different spectrums. That means one should be heavy (as in a heavy concept, tone, idea etc.) and one should be light (comedic, romantic, etc.). As I am personally an actor myself, I like to have four monologues at the ready for auditions. I know it's going to be a lot of work memorizing and pulling jar terd for four but it is much more impressive. These include a light and dark Shakespeare piece and a modern light and dark piece. Stay away from musicals because the monologues tend to be shorter and many directors look for pieces from straight plays. I also highly recommend picking a monologue from a play so you have background on the character to pull from. Monologue websites can be helpful but I highly recommend picking from a play. I performed a monologue from "Night Mother" and another from the "Primary English Class". Look up both of these plays in order to see how much they contrast. I can't say enough to CONTRAST because you want to show off your range smile Your monologue should also be no more than 90 seconds for an audition. I hope this helped and it's not too late biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff