Welcome to Gaia! ::

My passion use to be art (and it kinda still is) but I found a new one that suited me better. I found the love of my life which is building sets. I'm new to it, but I'm doing everything in my power to learn it all. In my theatre class I am the only person that has the love for what I do. And there isn't really anyone to teach me. Soooooo... if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated :3 okay thanks biggrin DDD
The level of advice you need depends on whether or not you plan to pursue it at a college level. I will assume this is the case.

You should definitely practice set building and design skills, take a drafting class, art classes do help in the design stage. If you love to build, learning basic shop safety is adviseable. It should also be noted that attention to detail is not necessary and can even be harmful, always focus on how your work will look to people who can't see all of it.
I'm a set designer & builder too smile

I'm studying set design and props.
I also do costumes e theatre characterization.
I love this area!! heart
Set designers are artists of a high caliber! Drafting is a good thing to know. Architecture is good too but not necessary, just a good tool. Also being familiar with the actual process of set-building and the tools involved. Power tools yay! Mostly if you're planning on studying it at college just jump in with your theatre department and start helping with the set building. Lots of experience to be had there. As an artist you probably learn best by doing and following someone else's design to see how it's done and then starting making your own!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff