Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Darling

10,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
READ OP!

I'm getting annoyed with notices about posts that all give the same advice. Thank you all who have participated!

Hilarious Humorist

7,500 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Smexi Chex Mix
I've been considering taking some voice lessons somewhere to develop a stronger voice, but I know very little about the process. I've taken many theatre classes, but only one musical theatre class that didn't help me develop my voice because it was a very wide-spectrumed class.

So question: Are voice lessons beneficial? What experiences have you had with vocal training?

The two things I worry most about is cost and creativity, and by "creativity" I mean that I don't want to be taught to sing like everyone else with a cookie cutter voice. I have a very unique voice that I want to build on, but I don't want to erase it. I want to build a wider range and develop my voice so that I know how to use it more effectively, but I want to keep the unique elements that are the strengths of my voice.

Thanks!

Oh, voice lessons do wonders. I notice a HUGE difference in not only the sound, but my stamina after warm ups. But, you can find free ones on Youtube. They do work. I know one that is amazing.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Yes. 1 on 1 voice lessons are incredibly useful, and you will benefit from them an infinitely greater amount than if you just studied on your own. Qualified vocal instructors can pick up on and fix errors in your technique which could be detrimental to your overall sound and to your vocal health. It is very hard to be impartial and pick up on these things yourself. I've been without lessons for a little over a year now and the amount that my voice has deteriorated is astonishing. By most accounts, I still have a nice enough voice, but my control over my high register is significantly weaker and my stamina is nowhere near what it once was.

'Cookie cutter' voices don't really exist. Certain qualities are universal to healthy singing, so if you don't want your voice to be healthy, then by all means - keep doing what you're doing alone. A good teacher will work with YOUR voice to make it sound the best it can sound.

I'd need to hear your voice to really hear what you're talking about with 'unique qualities.' If you mean you sound like Macy Gray or Louis Armstrong, then yeah - any voice teacher worth their salt is going to try to change that because that s**t just ain't healthy.

Dapper Darling

10,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
AkaTsuki-chan

Long Answer: Yes. 1 on 1 voice lessons are incredibly useful, and you will benefit from them an infinitely greater amount than if you just studied on your own. Qualified vocal instructors can pick up on and fix errors in your technique which could be detrimental to your overall sound and to your vocal health. It is very hard to be impartial and pick up on these things yourself. I've been without lessons for a little over a year now and the amount that my voice has deteriorated is astonishing. By most accounts, I still have a nice enough voice, but my control over my high register is significantly weaker and my stamina is nowhere near what it once was.

'Cookie cutter' voices don't really exist. Certain qualities are universal to healthy singing, so if you don't want your voice to be healthy, then by all means - keep doing what you're doing alone. A good teacher will work with YOUR voice to make it sound the best it can sound.

I'd need to hear your voice to really hear what you're talking about with 'unique qualities.' If you mean you sound like Macy Gray or Louis Armstrong, then yeah - any voice teacher worth their salt is going to try to change that because that s**t just ain't healthy.

I just feel like I see a lot of singers who've never had a real voice instructor their entire life who sound fantastic, and I've heard a lot of people who have that just sound...well.... Uninspiring.

By 'cookie cutter' I mean the voices that you couldn't pick out of a crowd. The ones who can sing, but aren't standouts. Someone that's healthy, and knows how to control a decent voice isn't always exciting to hear, so I guess a lot of it must depend on the teacher.

I have a little rasp to my voice, but I wouldn't want to erase that. Usually the only thing I tend to do that causes me to stop is trying to sing low notes. That's my weakest spot. I don't understand how people like Christina Aguilera can sing without loosing their voice after one song haha.

Dapper Darling

10,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Friggin Santa
Smexi Chex Mix
I've been considering taking some voice lessons somewhere to develop a stronger voice, but I know very little about the process. I've taken many theatre classes, but only one musical theatre class that didn't help me develop my voice because it was a very wide-spectrumed class.

So question: Are voice lessons beneficial? What experiences have you had with vocal training?

The two things I worry most about is cost and creativity, and by "creativity" I mean that I don't want to be taught to sing like everyone else with a cookie cutter voice. I have a very unique voice that I want to build on, but I don't want to erase it. I want to build a wider range and develop my voice so that I know how to use it more effectively, but I want to keep the unique elements that are the strengths of my voice.

Thanks!

Oh, voice lessons do wonders. I notice a HUGE difference in not only the sound, but my stamina after warm ups. But, you can find free ones on Youtube. They do work. I know one that is amazing.

Do you have examples? Thanks!
If you really didn't want to put in the money for singing, I would at least suggest investing in a book about vocal use, health and maintenance. I use the Structure of Singing by Richard Miller (painfully long but so helpful and informative). The fact is that if you're going to be serious about your voice you need to know how it works and how to take care of it. Otherwise, it'd be like getting a puppy and knowing nothing about dogs. It'd probably seem fine through some trial and error and then you'd start encountering problems like your dog isn't friendly because you didn't socialize it right and you'd be like "well how the heck was I supposed to know that??? I don't know anything about dogs!"

Any who, dog metaphor aside, I started lessons three years ago and was lead to the realization that I was using my voice completely incorrectly! I learned that none of the muscles in the neck are necessary to make sound (apparently some scientists blew through some dead guys vocal folds and he went "eeuggh..".) and that if I had continued singing the way I was, I probably would have permanently injured myself. Books can teach you a lot of this but nothing can replace the guidance of a good teacher watching you, in person, and telling you EXACTLY what you, specifically, need to do for your voice. They point out things that you probably didn't even know that you did. Any hooters, I could go on for hours but the facts are that vocal lessons will do wonders for you if you have a good teacher (more than you could ever do for yourself).

Beloved Hero

12,615 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Millionaire 200
Voice lessons train you on how to sing with proper technique. You will learn how to use your voice in a healthy way...plus you're going to sound better. smile I found that my voice lessons were totally worth it. I was making an investment in myself.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Smexi Chex Mix
AkaTsuki-chan

I just feel like I see a lot of singers who've never had a real voice instructor their entire life who sound fantastic, and I've heard a lot of people who have that just sound...well.... Uninspiring.

By 'cookie cutter' I mean the voices that you couldn't pick out of a crowd. The ones who can sing, but aren't standouts. Someone that's healthy, and knows how to control a decent voice isn't always exciting to hear, so I guess a lot of it must depend on the teacher.

I have a little rasp to my voice, but I wouldn't want to erase that. Usually the only thing I tend to do that causes me to stop is trying to sing low notes. That's my weakest spot. I don't understand how people like Christina Aguilera can sing without loosing their voice after one song haha.

1. She had voice lessons.

2. Any teacher worth their salt is going to try to get rid of that rasp. That isn't 'unique and special,' that's damage. That's like saying you want to run a marathon, but you don't want to train for it because it might alter your unique way of walking - which will later cause you to have massive bunions and hip problems.
As long as you have a competent teacher, the short answer is absolutely.
Yes,
Definitely, voice lessons are always provides better singing. As this type of experience is gain when we try our self. Results shows when you try it in many people. As i also try for this ( smile )and probable i also used some guidelines from Benjah music site there i have lot of songs collection as in christian reggae music,christian pop and many more. So, just keep try and after 5 -6 days you definitely sees the results. heart

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The Real Miss Lacus

Any who, dog metaphor aside, I started lessons three years ago and was lead to the realization that I was using my voice completely incorrectly! I learned that none of the muscles in the neck are necessary to make sound (apparently some scientists blew through some dead guys vocal folds and he went "eeuggh..".)

Did you ever see the video? It's creepy, kind of gross, and very awesome.
AkaTsuki-chan
The Real Miss Lacus

Any who, dog metaphor aside, I started lessons three years ago and was lead to the realization that I was using my voice completely incorrectly! I learned that none of the muscles in the neck are necessary to make sound (apparently some scientists blew through some dead guys vocal folds and he went "eeuggh..".)

Did you ever see the video? It's creepy, kind of gross, and very awesome.

Ah! I haven't I'm kind of morbidly curious XD

Newbie Member

1,550 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
yeah! it really helps you build your stamina and your singing technique...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff