Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey Techies!

I'm a college student, and I work heavily in the Tech department of our theater program. I do set design/ painting/ building; Creative Directing; COSTUME DESIGN/ BUILDING, and grip work.

I was wanting to connect with my fellow Stage Ninjas-
So stand up tall and proud Stage Managers, ASM's, Lighting and Sound Techs, Grips, Set Workers, Designers, Tech Directors, Prop Master/ Mistresses-

Tech is the backbone of the theater, so let's connect~

Plus, I'd love to geek about costumes and creative design to anyone who'll listen~

Techie love-
Lovely~

6,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Costume geek over here! I have made costumes for several shows (Im also a performer!). I mostly do opera, but I do some musical theater too. I'm currently working on Dido and Aeneas and Sweeney Todd biggrin
Die Fledermaus
Costume geek over here! I have made costumes for several shows (Im also a performer!). I mostly do opera, but I do some musical theater too. I'm currently working on Dido and Aeneas and Sweeney Todd biggrin

Awesome! I did a few for Aria Da Capo, 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Agnes of God, The Breasts of Tiresias, and Shakespeare Abridged this past year. It's been an experience. I'm going to make some cosplay this summer and do Dr. horrible's Sing Along Blog next semester, as well as a steampunk Macbeth. I'm super excited!

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
I was ASM for our last production, and I acted as my own stage manager/director for my seminar in performance play.

Being ASM was so fun, too. We did Caryl Churchill's 'Top Girls'. The whole first scene is dinner at a fancy restaurant, with six people. 3 course meal, and guess who had to cook all of it? smile Our directed was thrilled with how I had things timed out. Salads were made and sent up first, then the soups, and if we had any TV dinners (yes, we made TV dinners look gourmet) that took longer than 3 minutes, I nuked them all the way through before we even went into pre-show, and then warmed them up later.
We had steam coming off the food. It looked GREAT. biggrin I was so proud of myself.
AWESOME! We've never done any things with food... we're in a studio theater, so it could be really cool to do that!!!
I did some ASMing in High School.. but I stay far away from that now... costumes and set are my domain. ASM... I admire ASMs and SMs.. they catch so much s**t.

5,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Signature Look 250
How do, my fellow techies? I love doing anything involving the theatre, but I think Tech is my passion. I love being a stage ninja- I get to run around backstage...running a show gives a great adrenaline rush...plus, you have an excuse to wear all black!

I've started dabbling a bit in costumery. My roomie took a class called "History of Costume" this semester (I couldn't fit it into my schedule) and part of their class final was they had to make a costume they'd learned about in class for a Barbie doll. We've started using any money we have leftover (which isn't much) to get fabric and other stuff to make costumes for my Barbies that I played with when I was a kid.
I mostly act, but when i can't, i'm an avid gofer. It's nothing major but good experience all the same. the most fun i've had backstage was when the director decided he wanted the fog machine going throughout the whole show so i spent about 2 hours in a sort of closed off section backstage holding the button down while people would occasionally come over and ask if i could still breathe.
SaphiraStar
I mostly act, but when i can't, i'm an avid gofer. It's nothing major but good experience all the same. the most fun i've had backstage was when the director decided he wanted the fog machine going throughout the whole show so i spent about 2 hours in a sort of closed off section backstage holding the button down while people would occasionally come over and ask if i could still breathe.

Ouch. Grunt jobs like that are the worst. But it's nice that you're an actor that will help instead of ridiculing the techies. We have a bad problem with that at my school. All the actors are snooty and think they're better than all of us- when techies are the back bone of productions. Some of us even act and sing, but like tech better.
Theatre arts costume design graduate here though I've dabbled in all the other aspects!
I've worked on more than ten projects at my four years of university and currently work for an amusement park's costume shop
I've also worked a show recently as the wardrobe supervisor (it was pretty much dresser, but I like the title they gave me) and pseudo-ASM when the only other crew member was sick one night

Yay for theatre folk
Lovely_Dead_Trash
SaphiraStar

Ouch. Grunt jobs like that are the worst. But it's nice that you're an actor that will help instead of ridiculing the techies. We have a bad problem with that at my school. All the actors are snooty and think they're better than all of us- when techies are the back bone of productions. Some of us even act and sing, but like tech better.

I actually love doing the grunt work. We usually get the freshmen thinking that they don't have to respect the Techies, but if anyone shows any disrespect, our director is fully prepared to rip them a new one and teach them the meaning of ensemble.
SaphiraStar
Lovely_Dead_Trash
SaphiraStar

I actually love doing the grunt work. We usually get the freshmen thinking that they don't have to respect the Techies, but if anyone shows any disrespect, our director is fully prepared to rip them a new one and teach them the meaning of ensemble.

We have the issure of the conflicting directors. One will say they should all love the techies but another will just treats us like dirt. It's irritating. But our tech director usually will slap them upside the head. Literally.
Techies! : D

I was SM for the Spring musical at our school. Sound of Music.
We had this one set piece that rotated. One side would be the head nun's office and the other side would be stairs. The musical was great, the pranks were epic, mistakes were horribly hilarious, but the actors were bitchy. And they got drunk during one of the rehearsals. -__- But, they're only actors.
Lovely_Dead_Trash
SaphiraStar
Lovely_Dead_Trash
SaphiraStar

We have the issure of the conflicting directors. One will say they should all love the techies but another will just treats us like dirt. It's irritating. But our tech director usually will slap them upside the head. Literally.

I'm also more involved in the acting portion of theatre but whenever I have a chance I'll go around and help out with tech work. It's horrible to hear that even some directors don't appreciate the work that techs do. Luckily the way that the curriculom is set up in my school forces everyone to learn and work in both the acting and technical aspects of theater. I mean just this year we have one girl playing the lead role and two weeks later she has a screwdriver and wood at hand for our next show. More actors need to learn how to value what techs do.
donnie1210
Lovely_Dead_Trash
SaphiraStar
Lovely_Dead_Trash
SaphiraStar

I'm also more involved in the acting portion of theatre but whenever I have a chance I'll go around and help out with tech work. It's horrible to hear that even some directors don't appreciate the work that techs do. Luckily the way that the curriculom is set up in my school forces everyone to learn and work in both the acting and technical aspects of theater. I mean just this year we have one girl playing the lead role and two weeks later she has a screwdriver and wood at hand for our next show. More actors need to learn how to value what techs do.

I wish more of our actors would do that... but they just won't. Everyone in the theater program on my campus is required to do practicum and take set building/tech 101, but a lot of the actors skate by, and then never have to take another class like it. It's rather infuriating. But I have hope for the next semester! I get to be costume mistress and beat the role of techies into the new freshmens' brains!

5,600 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Full closet 200
I remember those days. I did crew for several years. Exhausting work, that is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff