Welcome to Gaia! ::

Thank you~ : D
I wish I had your determination. I got three chapters into my world then stopped after getting stuck half way through the third chapter. =[
Nah, that happens all the time. I have a really hard time stream lining things all the way through without stopping and getting caught or writing myself into a corner. I think I've failed nano four times!

I still don't have Eterra figured out - there's still so many mysteries that I uncover about this world as I write about it, and now, being at chapter 15, I want to exorcise the first six chapters. x____x

But! That is completely normal. We all have first drafts for a reason - so we can go back and fix/delete/add what we like to. So, you might be stuck now, but try to write through it. You'll find that if you just force yourself to write with the mindset that you'll be able to edit it later, you'll find it's much easier. Don't worry if you don't have anything figured out - like I said, that's what first drafts are for.

If you want, I can read some of it and tell you what I think? And maybe give you a push in the right direction?
Jellybean Disaster
Nah, that happens all the time. I have a really hard time stream lining things all the way through without stopping and getting caught or writing myself into a corner. I think I've failed nano four times!

I still don't have Eterra figured out - there's still so many mysteries that I uncover about this world as I write about it, and now, being at chapter 15, I want to exorcise the first six chapters. x____x

But! That is completely normal. We all have first drafts for a reason - so we can go back and fix/delete/add what we like to. So, you might be stuck now, but try to write through it. You'll find that if you just force yourself to write with the mindset that you'll be able to edit it later, you'll find it's much easier. Don't worry if you don't have anything figured out - like I said, that's what first drafts are for.

If you want, I can read some of it and tell you what I think? And maybe give you a push in the right direction?

I know that feeling of discovery all too well. whee

It would be wonderful if you could read it. I plan on making my own thread after I finish chapter 3. You'll be the first I contact. =]
Hey sweet! I'll totally plug your thread at the beginning. : D
I've made it to chapter five. I like chapter four the most so far. Learning about Yggdrisil really sparked my interest. =]
Woohoo! Thanks for reading~
Yep, watch me bump this thing~
Do you have anymore written?
I very much so cannot wait much longer!!
Well...
I can but I won't like it!
3nodding
Still pumping through chapter 16, haha.

Laziest writer EVER. Nebitron would agree.
CHAPTER XVI: Devil's Advocate

"Nuh-uh, he's making a bunny."

"No, it's a turtle!"

"It's neither," Chousa replied. "Close though. Keep guessing."

"A giraffe!"

"Nope."

"What about a fish?"

"Nope."

"Give us a hint!"

"Hmm…"

Chousa's hand was steady, wildling away at a piece of wood. The shavings from his knife fell lightly like the snow around their caravan, until it collected into a pile of dust just beside him. Two, intent pairs of eyes watched him, eagerly awaiting the end of result of the wood in Chousa's hands.

"It moves pretty quickly...it's clever…crafty…small…"

His back was leaning against the wall of the wagon, one leg propped up and the other outstretched. His arm rested over his knee as he held the piece of wood in his hand, still chipping away with the knife. It was strange; Elle had never seen him so relaxed in the time they'd been together. Chipping away at a piece of wood brought a hint of a smile on his face.

"Is it a squirrel?"

"It's a bird!"

"You're pretty good at that," Elle commented. Chousa cleared his throat, eyes staying focused on his project.

"Comfy over there?" he asked.

Elle, who was wrapped in a cocoon of blankets, nodded.

"Still cold," she answered with a sniffle. Chousa looked at her with brief concern at the sniffle, but looked down at his project almost too quickly.

"Feeling sick?"

"It's just cold out, that's all," Elle replied.

As the caravan moved increased in altitude, Elle looked behind her. The fog they'd experienced below had cleared and the snow-capped mountains were visible, now; as they moved about up the mountain's trail, Elle swallowed hard when she caught a glimpse of how high they were.

"The base of the mountain is the closest we're gonna get," Fado called from over his shoulder as he drove the mules. "There's a single trail leading up to the mountains, but it hasn't been maintained in ages. Wish you the best of luck, but this is the closest you're gonna get to Checkataw."

Chousa frowned, and he and Elle exchanged glances. She offered a shrug and looked upwards at the tower of mountains that seemed to look down upon them, almost in disapproval.

"If you intend to climb it, at least promise me you kids will use the part of your brain that works, and not the part that made you jump off of that cliff."

"Will do," Chousa called. His eyes narrowed as he neared the end of his project. The little girl's eyes lit in excitement. Chousa dusted off the remaining specs of dust and unfurled his fingers, extending the wooden mouse resting in the palm of his hand. Elle watched the exchange; the girl, naturally, was ecstatic. The boy crossed his arms.

"I knew it was a mouse all along!"

"Why a mouse?" the girl asked. Chousa's smile faded.

"That's what they used to call the youngest prince of Vientialla, right?" Fado interjected.

Elle's lips parted, almost in light panic, but she calmed herself somewhat when Chousa didn't even flinch.

"Because he scurried away like a guilty rodent when the king and queen were murdered."

The corner of Chousa's mouth twitched, almost into a chuckle as he nodded slowly. The little girl looked at the mouse fondly, small fingers curling around it. His eyes looked to Elle, almost as though he wanted the story to be ingrained into her mind. His stare was broken when the caravan stopped. The man hopped off and stretched, coming around back and opened the back. The two kids hopped off, almost too excitedly, and began chasing each other around. Elle followed their path until she spotted the village. Through the windows, Elle could see the warmth she craved.

"You gonna help me unload this cargo like you promised?" Fado called to Chousa. Chousa rolled out of the back with a swift nod, followed by Elle, who turned to get a better glimpse of the village. A towering mountain behind it, the village seemed to span only a few buildings. It was small, quaint; it didn't seem as though it was a popular destination.

Strange…

There was a pristine silence that fell in the room; only the draft seemed to echo from the floor and upwards. The only light available in the room was the one falling in through the window, outlining a man with his legs crossed, leaning on a rather comfortable-looking chair. He didn't pay any mind to the sun blasting through the chambers, rather, his eyes were closed, seemingly bored as he anticipated Orion's arrival. Stark, raven black hair framed a long, sunken face. His fist held his cheek up; the only sign of his liveliness was the occasional kick of his foot. His eyes blinked open as the door flew open, amber gaze directed at Orion, who was quick to close the door behind him. He furrowed his eyebrows at Orion before he flashed a quick smile.

"At ease," came a chuckle from the man seated by the window. Orion wasn't phased by his sarcasm, only offered a snarl in response.

"Have you forgotten the nature of your authority, Xellos?"

"I was being facetious, Orion. No need to get testy," he smiled coolly.

"You wanted to see me?"

"Ah, straight to business. I almost forgot whom I was talking to," he joked. When he realized Orion wasn't smiling, he cleared his throat. "I had a rather strange conjecture come to me after the council excused itself…you know, after the Oramedes incident."

Orion let out a hefty sigh. "I thought I had purged that from memory," he mumbled.

"Ah, no, no~ Never a failure, always a lesson. Who's words were those? Can you remember?"

Orion furrowed his eyebrows.

"The late king's. What lesson do we have to learn from a pile of rubble and an angry rebellion?"

"Well…now you know better than to group your two best arbiters together, yes?"

"Forgive me, counselor…is there a reason you wish to see me? Other than to mock the council's decision?"

"Actually, I…wanted to talk to you about that."

Orion nodded slowly. "Go on."

"Orion, I understand the predicament you're in."

"Do you, now?" Orion replied all too quickly.

"Well…yes. You're target is fleeing, running farther and farther away from Oramedes, and no one can do anything because your two best arbiters are under suspension. And, you'd like to send your very best, is that not so?"

"Yes…?"

"Consider the following. I've held my seat on the council for….remind me, Orion?"

"The year after I became an arbiter, Xellos."

"Very good, Orion!"

"Do not patronize me."

"Very well," he smiled. "See, as lead council, it's my job to make…some rather tough decisions. Ashurei is dying, Chousa is a murderer—"

"Mind your manners, counselor," Orion sharply rebuked. Xellos stopped short.

"Have I hit a nerve, Orion? Or do you support Vientialla's enemy now? Did I miss the memo?"

"Chousa deserves a fair trial."

"So you believe he's innocent, then."

"What evidence do you possess that either of them are guilty?" Orion replied. "Just what are you getting at?"

"There's been some talk of a power-shift, you see."

"Power-shift…?"

"Are you that naïve? Ashurei is dying."

The conversation fell silent. The two of them regarded each other as though pending a move in chess; Orion, however, didn't seek to move a sacrifice a single pawn.

"Clarify, counselor."

"Vientiallan law states that the next in line may only be by blood. Pretty soon, we won't have much to choose from, will we?"

"…and?" Orion cocked an eyebrow.

"There's been talk of perhaps…changing that rule so that the power to rule is…well, passed on to one of the council--"

"--Absolutely not."

The reply came much sooner than the two of them anticipated.

"The very fact that these "talks" took place is considered treason, counselor. And for that, you could lose your head and have it hung somewhere in the dining hall."

"Why don't you trust the council, Orion? Actually, no, I take that back. Why don't you trust me? I've been serving this kingdom for as long as you have, yet you—"

"—are still the one serving it, not planning to overthrow it. For your sake and mine, I'm going to pretend this conversation never happened," Orion ended in a hiss, and rose from his seat in an angry huff.

"Don't you want to hear the rest of what I have to say?"

"I don't like where this conversation is going," he growled.

"Even if it means I'll lift the suspension from the arbiters and allow you to follow through after the youngest prince? I'm sure he's made tons of progress by now…you're the only group that can find him, you know. Tough call. What do you say, Orion? Hear me out?"

Orion, back already turned, paused indefinitely, hand curled dangerously around the hilt of his sword. He stiffened, casting a dangerous glance in the direction of Xellos. At Orion's attention, Xellos spread a wane smile on his face.

"I'll convince the counsel to lift the suspension and forget about the Oramedes incident, but in return…"

Orion's eyes narrowed.

"…I'm listening."

"Tell the counsel I'd be fit to rule in the wake of His Majesty's death."

At first, Xellos ended with a smile. However, when Orion failed to relax, his smile turned into a frown.

"You know it's inevitable, Orion."

"The only thing inevitable is certain death should you consider this thought longer. Perish the thought, Xellos. Vientialla does not belong to you, and it will never belong to you. Here's a deal I'd like you to consider. I won't inform His Majesty of your plans to usurp him—"

"Who said anything about a usurpation?—"

"I'm not finished. I'll keep quiet in exchange for your own personal reflection of authority. I will out you to the council. That much I promise you."

Xellos quieted.

"I'll take your silence as an agreement. Now, if you don't mind, I have a meeting with the very council we've just spoken of."

When Orion turned to walk away, Xellos gave a quick chuckle.

"…You truly believe Chousa is innocent, don't you?"

Orion didn't reply. He continued his angry march.

"If you want to talk about treason, you should ask Stealth Midnight. I'm sure he's well-versed in the subject."

"Stay out of it," Orion said loudly before exiting with a door slam. Xellos heard his angry footsteps fade, drifting farther away from the door.

"That fool, Ashurei…does not understand Yggdrisill."

As Orion stalked across the marble floors, his destination changed. As he headed opposite of the council, he decided that his stomach was far too heavy and far too high for him to go before the council to appeal the suspension. Instead, he needed clarification. He was never one to be ridden with paranoia, but the occasion called for him to plug every single leak he could find. At the end of the hall sat a pair of double doors in which Orion opened without hesitation. He found Alex lounging in a chair, starring out of the window. He was dressed down, armor gone, and his sword resting on the table. Orion considered the dejected-looking arbiter for a few seconds before clearing his throat.

Alex's head popped up, and he moved to rise, but Orion extended his palm and shook his head.

"Can I help you?"

Orion furrowed his eyebrows.

"I need to clear on something that's been…bothersome."

Orion opened his mouth, hesitating on his words. Finally, he spoke.

"There has been…an alarming about of hearsay as of late, and I…" he paused. "…I'm going to allow you to clear the air."

"What do you mean?"

"Alex, I…" Orion paused again, merely shaking his head as he struggled to formulate his next sentence. "Did you offer any sort of aid to Chousa or his companion? However…insignificant?"

Alex fell silent. His eyes moved towards the open door behind them. Orion's eyebrows furrowed and followed Alex's gaze towards the opening. He stood up, walked over to the door, and closed it before taking a seat adjacent to Alex.

"I'd like to remind you that you're under Vientiallan law."

Still, Alex was silent. Orion shifted in his seat. He leaned forward, hands interlocked as he stared the arbiter down with a fierce, unyielding gaze.

"Fine. This conversation will stay between you and I. Forget the law. I need to know."

Silence.

"Did you offer aid to our current adversary?"

"Are you kidding me? You'd really believe Dietrich? Over me? I used to think you were smart, Orion—"

"Just answer the question, Alex. Spare me your impudence, please," Orion replied, exasperated.

"Who's asking?"

"Xellos. Dietrich has been quiet chatty, as I understand."

Alex's lips firmed and his lower jaw stuck out in contempt.

"No," he answered darkly. "No, I did not. Can you sleep at night, now?"

Orion gave him a cold, hard stare.

"If I find out you've lied to me, I will not save you when you go before the council. Is that understood?"

"You have nothing to worry about," Alex replied. "Nothing at all."

Orion rose to his feet and moved to exit.

"Good. I expect you in the briefing room in two hours. All of you. We need to leave for Checkataw by nightfall."

"What are you talking about? I'm suspended, remember?"

"Not in two hours. I'm moving for the council to overturn it. We can't be waiting around. This is ludicrous."

"Heh. Never thought you were the type to get anxious."

"I could say the same about you," Orion grumbled before he left Alex alone again. At the very moment he slammed the door, Alex could feel the sweat building his palms. He let out an annoyed hiss and wiped them on his pants before leaning back to stare into the ceiling.

"You should spend a few days with us. Winnie and Deacon would be thrilled," Fado laughed as he heaved another cluster of wood into the storehouse. Chousa handed him another one with a gruff grunt.

"As much as I appreciate your kindness," Chousa began, "It's important that Ellenore and I see the tribe that lives in these mountains."

Fado nodded, looking at the finished work and kicking the lid over the storage compartment.

"Ah, the Chyui, I take it?" he inquired. Chousa nodded.

"When do you think you'll start the climb?"

"Tomorrow morning," Chousa answered. "We need to reach the top as soon as we can."

"You sure about that?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Storm's a brewin'. Not sure you want to get caught in a blizzard while you're up there. The mountain is a hard climb, even when it's decent out. Don't think you'll last long. I'd wait a few days."

Chousa's face deflated.

"When will it pass?"

"Depends. See that front over there?" Fado pointed behind Chousa. His finger led Chousa's gaze to the cliff overlooking the valleys beneath them, and other snow-caped mountains in the distance. An ominous, gray presence lingered in the distance.

"Yeah. I see it," Chousa replied. "What about it?"

"That'll be here by nightfall. We'll see some fresh snow on the ground and it'll get worse into the night. It's just too treacherous. Wouldn't want to put your friend through that. Hell, I barely know you, and I wouldn't want to put you through that. You should consider staying with us until the storm passes. It'll be perfect weather after."

"We'll see," Chousa grumbled. As Fado walked towards his house, Chousa followed, and found himself tuning in and out of Fado's friendly conversation. With the darkened cloud in back of him, Chousa couldn't help but steal glances at the new obstacle he'd have to get around. They were pinned here until that storm blew over. He wasn't thrilled with the thought, but a part of him surrendered to the break it would inadvertently give them. Chousa could see his children peeking out into the window when he returned his glance in front of him. The image of Elle drew closer; she was inside, talking with Fado's daughter, Winnie. Where their conversation was inaudible, Chousa felt himself smiling when he saw the two break into a laugh.

No one likes me, Orion.

Is that why you're sitting here all by yourself?

They hate me. They like Ashurei better. He'd be better, anyway.

A small boy, arms crossed, a stern look on his face, sat with his feet dipped into the pond. He kicked them around nonchalantly, creating ripples only rivaled by that of the small fountain across the way. The song of birds and the cheering chorus of crickets did little to lighten his mood. Eyes were downcast into his reflection.

That isn't true, little majesty.

Orion smiled brightly.

Sometimes…people are emotional, and they…tend to get heated about things they care very much about, and they say things that they don't mean. They aren't any different than the very people you're around, you see. Your parents are humans, too, Chousa. They just…your father isn't as tactful as most, that's all.

Chousa kept staring into the lake.

What's wrong with me? I can do it…just like Ashurei can. I'm not weak. I'm not weak.

You're absolutely right.

Then…why did the council call me a mouse, if not a weak rodent?

Orion frowned, pressing intertwined hands to his mouth in thought. As he sat, he smiled again.

Well, Chousa…

A pause.

…A mouse may certainly retain those qualities, but…they're also fast, clever…they're crafty and small. They may not use the most conventional ways to solve problems, but they find ways, even when the odds indicate otherwise.

Chousa's eyes lifted at the words.

Hmm? Am I wrong?

No. I guess not.

Yggdrisil doesn't necessarily favor those who are strong, you know. You should remember that.

But Xellos said—

Xellos is a fool. You should remember that, too. Don't tell your father I told you that, though.

Chousa peered at his reflection after a splash of warm water to the face. He could hear Elle's distant sniffles from the bedroom over. The cold weather certainly took it's toll on her sinuses, but it wasn't enough to distract him from the storm. It had already begun to snow, heavy flakes of white falling from the sky. Even in the darkness of night, the sky was an eriee gray.

"It's starting, Chousa," Elle called. "The storm Fado was talking about, right?"

"Yeah."

Elle cradled the wooden mouse Chousa's carved earlier. When Chousa entered the room and blew out the candle, he frowned.

"Winnie didn't like it?"

"She dubbed it her 'good luck' charm," Elle laughed. "I thought it was cute. She said that it had been dubbed with her good luck, so she gave it to me. Weird kid."

"I agree," he said quietly, sliding into bed. The two turned so that they were face to face. Elle brought the wooden mouse up between them.

"Where'd you learn to make stuff like this?" she asked.

"When I was younger. An old friend, talking about mice."

"…Chousa, I'm…I'm sorry about what Fado said earlier. I mean, about—"

"It's not a big deal," Chousa interjected.

"Do people…I mean, is there some confusion as to whether or not you kill—"

"Hey," Chousa barked, albeit softly. Elle jumped.

"Oh, sorry. I forgot," Elle shook her head. "People must not know, I mean."

"No. There wasn't anyone there besides…us," Chousa finished. Elle rolled over onto her back and held the wooden mouse a few inches from her face.

"Okay, little guy," she whispered to it. "You better get me home, you hear? I'm counting on you. I didn't come all this way for nothing, you know."

A swift rapping on the bedroom door awoke Elle. The second thing she noticed was the wooden mouse, still clutched in her palm. When she sat up, she looked out the window; the storm was in full swing; the flakes were coming heavy now, and the snow drifts were high. She gave a shiver before the second series of rapping came, causing her to leave her bed and the wooden mouse beside Chousa, who surprisingly, was fast asleep. She eyed Chousa as she headed for the door, but quickly dropped the thought upon opening the door.

"Fado…?" Elle's groggy voice came. "What are you—"

"Sorry to bother you. Not sure what they want, but there's some guys from Vientialla here."

Elle's stomach dropped.

"Where are they?"

"A few houses down. Can't imagine what they'd be doing all the way up here."

"Where are your kids?"

"Why? Elle, what's this about—"

"If they find us here with you, they'll…"

Elle covered her mouth.

I can't go through this again.

Her mind flashed back to the memory of Retica. She was panicked, hiding under the bed, looking at Chousa as he peered through the door, the pinch of light running down his face.

"Okay, just…"

"Let us handle this."

The two looked at the source of the voice. Chousa stepped forward out of the darkness and handed Elle the wooden mouse.

"What are you two planning on doing?"

"There's nowhere to go but up."

Fado looked at him incredulously.

"You can't be serious. You can't go in this weather. You'll die."

"Our fate will be similar if we stay down here."

Fado shook his head.

"…Are you a criminal…?"

"Not exactly."
At LONG LAST, you guys. AT LONG LAST.

Now I need to crash, because being a law clerk intern sucks sometimes. >_<
2 arbiters disliked this.

Quick Reply