Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
Fireweed_honey
x-MangoIceeT
terradi
With all due respect, if you're looking to promote your book in general, that sort of reaction isn't going to gain you a lot of positive responses around here, nor in dealing with potential readers in general. I get the being sensitive about your work business. I cringed and hid from the first comments on my query for about a week after they came in, and that's not even my story ... just the sales pitch. It's hard not to react strongly to negative comments, but that's when you really need to step away from the computer, take a breather, and then come back when you can respond calmly.

Regardless of whether or not you're looking to promote your story here, everything you do and say online is a part of your public image. In order to maintain a positive one, you need to assume that anything you say can be seen and read by a larger audience at all times. Or simply create an account that has no connection to your writing whatsoever and have a ball there. Either or.

Creating and maintaining a positive public image is a lot of work. And it doesn't take much to undo things that you've worked hard to set in place. Even if you don't care about a single potential reader, how you react to them is going to impact how other people look at what you say and do.

~

That aside, I'm quite surprised that 30k was considered long enough to be a novel by Amazon's standards. My current story in revision is 54k and I've been fretting over that because it doesn't feel like it's nearly long enough to be considered a novel-length story.

o.o Also ... wowsa. My friend's second book is ranked #16 in new releases in Cyberpunk (Virtual Immortality. Division Zero is possibly too old to still rank. Can't find it under the top 30 new at any rate). I wouldn't have known (or bothered) to look that up before stumbling across this topic.

i have no problem with constructive criticism in the least bit. every review i've used to better my craft. what pissed me off was her attempt at belittling me and pretty much calling me a liar for mentioning that my book was #1. when i showed the proof and explained that everything she talked about was fixed (as far as grammar and editing ) i'm suddenly rude? when i explain to her that the company i'm with his new but has produced numerous best sellers since it's launch last year, i'm suddenly rude? if that's the case then i don't want someone like her reading anything that i work on. it wasn't amazon's policy it was my publishers words that 30k was the minimum. Young Lady was my debut novel and it did extremely well in the first few weeks of it's release. she had clearly stated that she wasn't going to buy the book anyways so for her to say " you lost a potential reader" simply for me correcting her? please stare

Clearing the air, and then I'm gone.
1. I said I found your claim at being #1 doubtful. And since the Doctor has not come by to pick me up in the TARDIS, I could not see the time you were at the #1 spot. I said when I did my research you were at #53 for African-American lit. That is your current ranking. No one looking you up now will see your #1. I am glad you hit #1 in your debut stage, #53 in a market like African-American Lit isn't a bad deal, it's rather impressive, but your claim made it sound like you were currently #1. At least concede to the fact that anyone looking at your book NOW will not see your #1 status, as it has come and gone.

2. I did also say that if your book came across my reader's list as a freebie, I'd give it consideration. I often get books of authors I've talked to, even it they don't interest me, if they come across on sale in my feed. Guess you missed that line. I had been entertaining the idea of checking out your book, or books by the other Peach Dollhouse authors until you decided to be rude.

3. You were rude. You took such an offense to what I said as if I were calling your work crap, when all I intended was to a) show that your work did exist (we have had people make false claims to books before) and b) show what was being said. I didn't say all your reviews were bad, I did point out there were people who liked your book. I think I even said it was early in the books stages. I made a suggestion to having your publishing company get out into conventions to promote themselves as a new company, and to clean up the website since it does not promote a professional image. I suggested you look closer at what the editor suggested as grammar was the number one complaint (and you were rude in your answer to me). I even wished you luck.

As terradi said, what you do on (and off) line promotes your image. You are not promoting a good image for yourself or your publishing company. You don't like that I said you lost a reader. Well, honey, I'm sure others have viewed these posts and were turned off without printing a word. And people talk. If you handled this well, the word going around would have been how mature you were and that I would strongly consider looking into your book and publishing company for future books to read. However, now I'm not interested. And that word does get around. The next time someone says something about your story you don't like, either ignore them or, better still, look at what they wrote and take any honest advise in there and apply it.

i think all of this got mixed up. i was not rude at all. i simply corrected you or clarified. what i did take offense to was probably my bad but to me it looked like you were calling me a liar when i made my claim of #1. i know someone looking at it now wouldn't see that. but again this post wasn't even about my book. i was simply asking if anybody else was publishing. that's what this topic was about. im open to all criticism and advice about my work simply because i want to better my craft. i don't represent my publishing company. i represent myself. now i don't know about anybody else making false claims about their books but that has nothing to do with me. this conversation got way off topic honestly. i don't even see how this was made to be about my book in the first place. people can talk all they want now. because honestly, i think any new author would have probably taken offense to some of the things you said. it wasn't immature for me to post the screenshots of my achievements when i felt like i was being called a liar. it wasn't immature for me to clarify things that were fixed when you mentioned the reviews talking about the editing and grammar. if you're not interested in the book any longer that's fine by me. if you don't want to read any of the books by Peach Dollhouse, that's fine by me. but i personally feel like you took what i said as rude when that wasn't my intentions to be rude in the first place.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Perhaps it would be easier to understand the skepticism if you understood a bit more about forum culture here on Gaia. We get a lot of teens, and we get a lot of people who make claims which have little or no truth to them whatsoever. Gaia tends to attract a lot of younger members, and we see a lot of outrageous lies and/or exaggerations as a result.

Or, sometimes, just honest misrepresentations, like people who've had their work published as part of a vanity poetry anthology which will accept anyone (and everyone) who submits their work.

We don't get a lot of published authors on Gaia. Just aspiring authors. It's not a professional style website, unlike other websites that are more geared towards beginning and professional writers. Claims of publication are going to be met with skepticism because it's such a rarity here. That's the expectation on the site, and it is absolutely not a personal attack on you. If I came in here tomorrow on a new account and made a similar claim, I'd get equal levels of skepticism. Even as a user whose been on this forum for a decade ... if I made a claim that I was getting something published I'd kind of expect to get bombarded with questions. Some of which would simply be establishing whether or not I'd gone the vanity publishing route.

5,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
terradi
Perhaps it would be easier to understand the skepticism if you understood a bit more about forum culture here on Gaia. We get a lot of teens, and we get a lot of people who make claims which have little or no truth to them whatsoever. Gaia tends to attract a lot of younger members, and we see a lot of outrageous lies and/or exaggerations as a result.

Or, sometimes, just honest misrepresentations, like people who've had their work published as part of a vanity poetry anthology which will accept anyone (and everyone) who submits their work.

We don't get a lot of published authors on Gaia. Just aspiring authors. It's not a professional style website, unlike other websites that are more geared towards beginning and professional writers. Claims of publication are going to be met with skepticism because it's such a rarity here. That's the expectation on the site, and it is absolutely not a personal attack on you. If I came in here tomorrow on a new account and made a similar claim, I'd get equal levels of skepticism. Even as a user whose been on this forum for a decade ... if I made a claim that I was getting something published I'd kind of expect to get bombarded with questions. Some of which would simply be establishing whether or not I'd gone the vanity publishing route.

I've been on gaia since 08-09. i just haven't been in this forum because of the fact that i just started back writing a little over a year ago. on top of that i just got back on here last week getting active again. i honestly didn't even know about a writer's forum or anything. i can understand skepticism honestly because i've heard some outrageous things myself. at the same time though, i felt like i was being called a liar and i really don't like that especially when it's about a really proud accomplishment of mine.

Purified Shounen

x-MangoIceeT
Sombre Veritas
x-MangoIceeT
defineunique
x-MangoIceeT
ArmasTermin
This isn't the proper forum for this post. You want this in the general Writer's forum. Do not repost it, a mod will move it for you shortly.

that's so petty stare

It isn't petty. Its the rules. Besides, he's helping you so be nice.

it's still petty and i wasn't being rude in the least bit. this is part of the reason i left gaia a few years ago because of the petty rules in the forums. especially over something so simple. how about not even commenting and just letting the thread be removed by the admins.

No, you see... Someone being petty would be me telling you that I doubt you are a published author, because your spelling and grammar is horrible. That's petty.

How are rules "petty"? Also, if you had read them, you would have known that this wasn't the forum to talk about your book. Again, I could be extremely petty by saying: "since you can't read, I doubt you can write." There is a difference between someone being petty, and someone telling you that you have made a mistake, which will be rectified.

Also, congratulations on hitting #1.

doubt all you want. i have my receipts so that's whatever. i know what my accomplishments are. if it's not the proper forum then ignore it that's just as easy tbh. i'm not even really talking about my book. i asked has anybody else been published. i'm not having a book discussion at all. even still the post could have easily been ignored from the beginning.

The problem is, I took you saying that your book reached #1 at face value. I even congratulated you for it. You didn't see that, apparently, and decided to just look at everything else I said. I was showing you the difference between "petty" and "making a mistake." All you had to do when the person said you were in the wrong forum was apologize, and wait for the topic to be moved. You didn't do that. Instead, you took on this "holier than thou" attitude, and started calling him petty, because he pointed out a mistake. Since then, you have just looked at the stuff people have written, and decided that it was all bad and against you.

Since you missed it last time... CONGRATULATIONS ON HITTING #1. I hope you saw it that time.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
smile I modded here for five years, so I've seen it all and heard it all. Just as happy to be a regular user now where sorting the drama out isn't my job.

I get where being called a liar would be insulting. But you have everything you need to prove it wrong. To me it doesn't seem like it'd be worth getting angry about ... just because it's easy enough to disprove. I mean, if someone started attacking my work that'd be different and I think I'd have a harder time coping with that. But to try and tell me I don't write? confused Not even worth getting angry at.

5,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
Sombre Veritas
x-MangoIceeT
Sombre Veritas
x-MangoIceeT
defineunique

it's still petty and i wasn't being rude in the least bit. this is part of the reason i left gaia a few years ago because of the petty rules in the forums. especially over something so simple. how about not even commenting and just letting the thread be removed by the admins.

No, you see... Someone being petty would be me telling you that I doubt you are a published author, because your spelling and grammar is horrible. That's petty.

How are rules "petty"? Also, if you had read them, you would have known that this wasn't the forum to talk about your book. Again, I could be extremely petty by saying: "since you can't read, I doubt you can write." There is a difference between someone being petty, and someone telling you that you have made a mistake, which will be rectified.

doubt all you want. i have my receipts so that's whatever. i know what my accomplishments are. if it's not the proper forum then ignore it that's just as easy tbh. i'm not even really talking about my book. i asked has anybody else been published. i'm not having a book discussion at all. even still the post could have easily been ignored from the beginning.

The problem is, I took you saying that your book reached #1 at face value. I even congratulated you for it. You didn't see that, apparently, and decided to just look at everything else I said. I was showing you the difference between "petty" and "making a mistake." All you had to do when the person said you were in the wrong forum was apologize, and wait for the topic to be moved. You didn't do that. Instead, you took on this "holier than thou" attitude, and started calling him petty, because he pointed out a mistake. Since then, you have just looked at the stuff people have written, and decided that it was all bad and against you.

Since you missed it last time... CONGRATULATIONS ON HITTING #1. I hope you saw it that time.

i didn't take on an attitude. if it was in the wrong forum it would have been moved already. as i said he could have ignored it if he felt that it was in the wrong forum. simple.

Wheezing Prophet

5,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
All I see here is, "wahhhhhh, wahhhh, wah.Look at me! I'm angry but acting not like I'm angry because I get angry at being called angry! Waahhhhhhh!"

(Oh, and if the general consensus on this thread is that you were taking on an attitude, maybe it's best to look at your previous posts and truly consider how they sound. Not how they sound to you, but how they would sound to someone else).

(Ohhh.... and for a best seller writer, you may say you don't care about your spelling or grammar, but if this is how you submit a draft to your editor.... I shudder for the editor).

Anyway.

Congratulations on the best seller.

You really need to read back on your comments and then the other fellow gaians who commented. Try and be a little less cynical towards them because they are right you know. This is coming from someone who has seen a lot in their ten year tenure at the site. I may not post a lot, but I have read/seen/heard a lot from a plenty amount of people. Most of who that has commented know what they're talking about.

So...

Now onto a more lighter note....

If you have read this far, I congratulate you once again on being published and being on a top seller list. It is a great achievement in this day and age.

Have a lovely day.

Purified Shounen

x-MangoIceeT
Sombre Veritas
x-MangoIceeT
Sombre Veritas
x-MangoIceeT
defineunique

i didn't take on an attitude. if it was in the wrong forum it would have been moved already. as i said he could have ignored it if he felt that it was in the wrong forum. simple.

If people are not brought up on their mistakes, they will continue to make them. I guess you're of the same mindset that if a man rapes a woman, isn't told that it's wrong, and does it again, then it's fine? As long as people ignore it, I guess. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
x-MangoIceeT
if it was in the wrong forum it would have been moved already. as i said he could have ignored it if he felt that it was in the wrong forum. simple.

Gaia is pretty seriously modded. Just because it hasn't been moved doesn't mean it shouldn't be moved. It's better to look at the forum guide than to trust that anything here is really where it's supposed to be, unfortunately.

5,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
Sombre Veritas
x-MangoIceeT
Sombre Veritas
x-MangoIceeT
Sombre Veritas

If people are not brought up on their mistakes, they will continue to make them. I guess you're of the same mindset that if a man rapes a woman, isn't told that it's wrong, and does it again, then it's fine? As long as people ignore it, I guess. Ignorance is bliss, right?

that was the most ignorant ******** thing you could possibly say to anybody.

5,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
terradi
x-MangoIceeT
if it was in the wrong forum it would have been moved already. as i said he could have ignored it if he felt that it was in the wrong forum. simple.

Gaia is pretty seriously modded. Just because it hasn't been moved doesn't mean it shouldn't be moved. It's better to look at the forum guide than to trust that anything here is really where it's supposed to be, unfortunately.

if they don't move it then it's not my problem. i'm still stuck on the fact that everybody is so bent on this being the wrong forum than actually answering the question -_-

5,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
The_Catto
All I see here is, "wahhhhhh, wahhhh, wah.Look at me! I'm angry but acting not like I'm angry because I get angry at being called angry! Waahhhhhhh!"

(Oh, and if the general consensus on this thread is that you were taking on an attitude, maybe it's best to look at your previous posts and truly consider how they sound. Not how they sound to you, but how they would sound to someone else).

(Ohhh.... and for a best seller writer, you may say you don't care about your spelling or grammar, but if this is how you submit a draft to your editor.... I shudder for the editor).

Anyway.

Congratulations on the best seller.

You really need to read back on your comments and then the other fellow gaians who commented. Try and be a little less cynical towards them because they are right you know. This is coming from someone who has seen a lot in their ten year tenure at the site. I may not post a lot, but I have read/seen/heard a lot from a plenty amount of people. Most of who that has commented know what they're talking about.

So...

Now onto a more lighter note....

If you have read this far, I congratulate you once again on being published and being on a top seller list. It is a great achievement in this day and age.

Have a lovely day.

i'm not angry in the least bit. i'm more confused than anything. it's really not my problem if anybody misunderstood anything i was saying and took it as me having an attitude when i didn't. but thank you. and the way i type in a forum is not the same as how i write my books. i'm not trying to impress anybody in here. i'm relaxed. if i was writing for my publisher it would be a completely different story.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
You're correct. It really isn't, and it's not a big deal either. It'll move when it moves.

You're referring to your beginning question, yes? I did answer it, though not much discussion seems to be stemming from it.

Purified Shounen

x-MangoIceeT
that was the most ignorant ******** thing you could possibly say to anybody.

So that was ignorant, but the way you have acting and the things you have been saying wasn't?

As the person above you said, it isn't that difficult to read the forum rules and find out where you should post. You made a mistake. Is that such a terrible thing to be told?

5,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
terradi
You're correct. It really isn't, and it's not a big deal either. It'll move when it moves.

You're referring to your beginning question, yes? I did answer it, though not much discussion seems to be stemming from it.

my thoughts exactly. everybody here has been so bent on "why are you so rude" when i wasn't being rude. and not answering what the original question was in the first place -_-

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff