Shirtless Cottontail

8,600 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
WARNING: violence, slight gore, and fire reference. You have been warned!

Unwarranted

The flames rose inside the cabin; the wooden beams burned slow, first bowing then splintering onto the wooden floor while the curtains and chairs had been engulfed by the flames, spewing their toxic fumes into the air. I collapse onto the floor dying, I heaved in the thick, ashy air in with the hope that I could suffocate before the flames crept my way. I felt as if my body had betrayed me as I motioned my head towards the open window, my body had become an iron maiden to survival as it trapped me within this death house. My mind had become laced with the beautiful and terrible memories of recent events, and through the film-like barrier clouding my eyes I had glimpses of my last living friend.
Ocunnowhurst (Yellow Wolf) past in the never ending cycle of memories even when I consciously believed I was alone he was there, every day of my adult life he watched me, mostly to keep me from safe from my own impulses. I trailed into the lighter thoughts of when we were boys; I can remember being jealous of his skin, my own white skin had brought me to shame as I gazed at his copper skin, so fitting for a Cheyenne. I had been born white, to whites, and I still feel as if I had been cheated. I remembered that he had gone two weeks ago for his own soul searching after tragedies left us alone. We believed that it was over, our last case had gone so smooth, that we couldn't doubt facts or where they lead, we were wrong. Maybe we had gotten so old in such little time that we could no bring ourselves to admit the case was wrong. I couldn't tell Wolf that we were wrong but I also wouldn't let him come with me to die in a place like this, dry blood everywhere, tacky peach floral wallpaper, it was like a cheap hell among the trees. My name was Jim Carver, Sheriff of a small town named Hope, and I have only two things left to lose.

Next time on Unwarranted:

It all had started just a few months ago when we pulled a saturated body out of Miners Lake.

The boat began to sink, the freezing water flowed up to our knees and...

That's it for now. I'm going to edit this later so any suggestions are appreciated.