• Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
UC Poika
Roilvn Whiro
UC Poika
Roilvn Whiro
UC Poika
I read to chapter 6 last night. Excellent so far. Do you publish your stuff? You should if you don't and if you do good luck with this one. Very interesting read.
I hope to be published, but I need to finish the first book before I try that,

You will. I am confident of that.
Thank you. If you get into it, stick around, I will post more as I finish into this thread and use the held post as a linking ground.

And I am glad your so confident.

If it winds up going that way, I can help you with a self-publishing effort like on Create Space or somewhere else. My personal favorite is Create Space and Smashwords.com. Good luck.
how do you publish? is it just mass mailings?

Quotable Poster

2,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Roilvn Whiro
UC Poika
Roilvn Whiro
UC Poika
Roilvn Whiro
UC Poika
I read to chapter 6 last night. Excellent so far. Do you publish your stuff? You should if you don't and if you do good luck with this one. Very interesting read.
I hope to be published, but I need to finish the first book before I try that,

Thank you. If you get into it, stick around, I will post more as I finish into this thread and use the held post as a linking ground.

If it winds up going that way, I can help you with a self-publishing effort like on Create Space or somewhere else. My personal favorite is Create Space and Smashwords.com. Good luck.

I recommend you go to createspace.com and set up an account, then follow the steps. They'll try to sell you stuff but if you're like I am go for the free stuff. If you need help let me know I'll help. Then when you are done you'll understand that it's up to you to push your stuff on as many sites as you can, getting advice from others all the way if you want. You will also discover how to get it into Kindle on Amazon which they make really easy but it's only amazon the rest of the world just about is on smashwords.com but they are really picky what they include in their market. When you first hit the scene they will want you to offer it free. But you'll be making the decisions rather than having some salesman make decisions for what's best for his income... your money. Or else you can go to writerscafe.org my contest there and enter and I'll do it for you on amazon and create space I've only got one other entry and yours is much better so far. There's a whole load of writer's sites and a lot to learn but I found a lot of it was studying about how to make of hydrogen and oxygen and how they react when the object of the conversation was swimming. You're a smart person, you can publish yourself, why let someone else do what you can do? Of course you can do the same thing by going to Publish USA and they'll charge you do make every push they make. They are not, I repeat they are not interested in selling your book really, but they are interested in your money. There's a lot of that if you go indie. Good luck, and hey if you need help or just want to comment on something I missed along the way hit me up on here it comes out in my email.

Gracious Conversationalist

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
UC Poika
Roilvn Whiro
UC Poika
Roilvn Whiro
UC Poika

I recommend you go to createspace.com and set up an account, then follow the steps. They'll try to sell you stuff but if you're like I am go for the free stuff. If you need help let me know I'll help. Then when you are done you'll understand that it's up to you to push your stuff on as many sites as you can, getting advice from others all the way if you want. You will also discover how to get it into Kindle on Amazon which they make really easy but it's only amazon the rest of the world just about is on smashwords.com but they are really picky what they include in their market. When you first hit the scene they will want you to offer it free. But you'll be making the decisions rather than having some salesman make decisions for what's best for his income... your money. Or else you can go to writerscafe.org my contest there and enter and I'll do it for you on amazon and create space I've only got one other entry and yours is much better so far. There's a whole load of writer's sites and a lot to learn but I found a lot of it was studying about how to make of hydrogen and oxygen and how they react when the object of the conversation was swimming. You're a smart person, you can publish yourself, why let someone else do what you can do? Of course you can do the same thing by going to Publish USA and they'll charge you do make every push they make. They are not, I repeat they are not interested in selling your book really, but they are interested in your money. There's a lot of that if you go indie. Good luck, and hey if you need help or just want to comment on something I missed along the way hit me up on here it comes out in my email.
Made a creative space, and I am trying to hammer out the rest of this book

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
Chapter XL

The morning came early for Tezalant. With little light in the sky, the boy was rousted from bed. At first he groaned, but if it was not for the travel and the stress of the creature from yesterday he would have not had any issue waking up at this time. Normally by now he had even ate breakfast.
Not today, today he did want to sleep longer, and not have to continue his days travel. The groan that escaped his lips also commented to that point. Sleep was what the young one wanted, but it would not be what he would get. The young man was grabbed by the back of his shirt by The Doktor and roughly pulled to his feet. Tezalant moved to object, but the Doktor cut him off. “Don’t. We have two days of travel, and while I understand wanted to stay in the last bed you will sleep in for a small while, so let’s just get downstairs and pack up.”
Tezalant looked at The Doktor, trying to form the perfect sentence. Just how he was going to tell The Doktor what he though, and how to justify his point in such a way that he would not be able to be refuted. The young one opened his mouth, however nothing fell from his lips be a long mumbled sentence. He may have tried again on the point he wanted to so delicately and beautiful illustrated, but the standing form of Roilvn in the doorway stopped that.
“Well well well. I see he sleeps like a child as well doesn’t he? Be happy to be roused, it was not a joy everyone got to receive this morning. Now then, let’s get moving. We will be riding for most of the day as it is for the next two days, I would like to make it home before too awfully long. So up to it, we leave shorty aye?” Roilvn’s smile spread once again in its over exaggerated fashion. He nodded and turned turning and walking down the stairs towards the lower level. The Doktor laughed, leaving Tezalant in the room alone. The small boy slowly sat up, rubbing his eyes tiredly as he began to dress himself. As he finally left the room and stumbled down the stairs he saw Roilvn, The Doktor, and a man that he had not seen before. He could not tell where or what the man was, his skin was darker in color. Tezalant waved, walking down to the table. In front of the four of the men are a stack of bread, dried meats, a few separate fruits, and two casks of ale. A small scrawled note rested on the cask.

Dear Roilvn,
Stay safe and make sure you keep that human of yours alive. I know your kind do not think very highly of our kind, but give him a chance, if he surprised you once I would bet he would be able to surprise you more than just that one time. In the second Cask is for him, it is a native drink for Appan for him, and I am sure that he will be happy to receive it.
Your Friend,
Shoats

Roilvn laughed, smiling and handing the note to Usris. “Hey, your fellow mortal has taken a liking to you Usris. Get your own mission cask and everything!” Roilvn’s hand clap on the back of Usris, the two men feeling upbeat and joyous about this job. Both men laughing as the picked up their respective casks and start to walk out of the Inn.
Tezalant slowly packed his bag and checked his sword. He was ready for the day. Tired as he maybe, at least he had a horse to ride for the day. He knew that he could possibly sleep more this evening. Eh who was he kidding, he would be awake as the sun rose. He rubbed his eyes and opened the door for the Doktor. “After you, Good Doktor. Are you sure about these guards? Are they really needed?”
The Doktor nodded his head, letting the two hired men take the lead and laugh between themselves. “These men are the best in the world, if we wanted anyone to guard us, it needs to be these guys. And Roilvn seemed to be a pretty high value in the Inn. It looked as if he was possibly second or third in command. Plus, you were tired after that small fight the other day, and we will be fighting much more than just that in the near future. This is what will make sure that we can get those who are responsible for your family.”
Tezalant shook his head and watched his feet. Once again the two moved in silence, following the louder and bombastic group of men in front of them. It took a good five minutes of listening to the edge of conversation. Usris spoke of his home country, the pick trees and the smell he has never found. It was a beautiful sounding country. The waterfalls and hot natural springs was something that Tezalant could even fathom, natural hot water bubbling from the ground and collecting in pools to bath in. Tezalant wonder if he would ever make it to that distant land. He hoped and dreamed he would. He looked ahead at his two new care takers. They were going to be the last wall of defense in his life. People had come after his family, and he knew The Doktor was correct in his worry. He just wanted to get back to Fredrick. It was hi`s only real connection to his life that he so dearly missed. The fpur of them moved into the barn, and a hunched man with a scar across his cheek looked up towards Roilvn. “Lord, shall I fetch the Horses you returned with?”
Roilvn smiled and nodded. “Aye, as well as these two’s horses as well. The four of us are off for a little trip. Be off now Whisper.” Roilvn smiled, turning towards Tezalant and The Doktor, “We should head outside and get ready, he knew of our venture, and he should not be long. He has a way with the creatures of this world for some reason.” Roilvn smiled, his face being controlled and constricted to not show is blood, his lips being kept close just in case someone human happened to wonder by. The four of them walked in relative silence to the small clearing that made up the entrance as well as the exit from here heading south. And Roilvn was correct, it was not long before the sounds of horses could be seen marching into the clearing.
The air stood still for one moment, and the moment that Tezalant recognized the horses, the air left an area around him. A dust cloud shot off in all directions as Tezalant rocked forward, drawing his father’s sword, swiping downwards from head to toe on Roilvn. The only thing that saved Roilvn for a strike was the faster draw of Usris. The two swords met with a clang, Usris drawing back for a cross slash, a move that would have dropped Tezalant if the low pressure zone around Tezalant did not expand and life Usris off of the ground and carried him fifteen feet away. The Doktor was also tossed, however Roilvn drew his blade and turned to attack, the wind only sliding him back a few feet. “Leroy, James,”
The Doktor went to respond, but he could not move fast enough, as he landed the earth seemed to give a slight shudder, rising to meet him and keeping him on his feet. His eyes could only watch the chaos of the two people in front of him fighting. He did not know how to respond, it was already too late for Tezalant, Roilvn would have his head with only the want.
Usris had no idea what hit him. All he knew was that mid slash he left the ground and his ears seemed to have popped. As he picked his head off of the ground he hopped up, his feet falling under him. He shot up, scooping up his blade as he charged forward toward the young Tezalant.
Roilvn watched as Tezalant’s second attack came in, a slash across the mid. Roilvn unburied his sword and dropped, letting the blow run up his blade and over his head. He smiled standing up and delivering a sharp uppercut, turning and deflecting Usris coming attack, spinning and delivering a back heel across the unexciting swordsman’s face. Usris fell to the ground for the second time in this fight, his body almost bouncing from the spinning kick. “Enough, Tezalant, What is the meaning of this? I find it very unprofessional to attack me when we both-“ Tezalant had stood by this point, and had started to launch a series of cross slashes that Roilvn dodged fairly easily. Raising his blade to bounce away the off long chain before he finally crossed blades and drew close to Tezalant.
Tezalant was not ready for the sudden reverse of direction and he paid for it dearly. His eyes grew watery and his vision black as Roilvn thrust forward, delivering a mighty head-butt to the bridge of his nose. For a few second he felt weightless, his body traveling in the air before bouncing off the ground and tumbling to a stop. A cloud of dust sprung up from around him.
Roilvn took the time to collect himself. He turned his blade towards Usris, who was starting to stand. “Stay down Usris. If you get up again, I will not pull my blows again against you. I will not have you taint MY good name, is that clear?” He shook out his body as he started to walk towards Tezalant, who was still on the ground and grasping his nose, the color and smell of blood was flowing out of him. Roilvn’s mouth had spread from ear to ear once again. Winning was such a wonderful feeling. “Now, as I was saying, why attack me when it just can only end in a stale mate because we both know that I cannot kill you? And WHY are you attacking quite possibly the only thing keeping you alive from the rest of this world? I should kill you, you know that?” Roilvn stood over Tezalant, looking down with the smug look of a conquer. Tezalant’s eyes sharpened, much to the surprise of the daemon about him. Both hands shot out as a large force of wind came in towards them from all sides, a small cyclone starting to generate under Roilvn lifting him into the air.
But the blow that had he landed it against his brother, gave him nothing but fear. It was not that the blow did not land, Roilvn was sent about fifteen feet into the air about the bird of prey. His right hand grasps the hilt of his father’s sword as he spun, starting an upward sweeping blow as the wind died out.
Roilvn began to plummet back to the ground, watching the blow start out. This kid was good, possibly even great. He tried to remember the last person to play possum so well. It had been a long time. However Roilvn’s joy was well found. Unlike Tezalant, this was not his first time in a scrape. He watched The Doktor’s eyes go wide. Roilvn flung his sword down towards Tezalant handle first. There was a loud clash of metal on metal, the sword flinging off in a random direction, but the damage was done. He had successfully slowed Tezalant’s attack down the fraction of the second that was needed. Roilvn closed his hand as a sound of metal on metal was heard for a second time. His right hand reached out, catching the blade across a metal plate hidden under his glove.
The rest of the battle was simple gravity. Roilvn brought his forearm across the cheek of Tezalant, the force of the daemon slamming both men into the ground and causing yet another puff of dust. At first there was silence, and then, laughter. A deep filling laughter as Roilvn sat up and looked down at Tezalant. Maybe in a couple of decades this child may be able to get close to winning. But right now, Roilvn had spared his life, not the other way around. Roilvn stood and picked up the blade, his eyes growing wide as he inspected it. He recognized it. And why wouldn’t he. It was the hilt that gave it away. A soft grey stone, a ruby hilt, and a fine crafted blade. He leaned down, picking up the bloody Tezalant and dragging his form towards the four horse awaiting their riders. He dropped Tezalant as he began to speak to the disfigured horse keeper. “Whisper, Leave us, run off, and do not return until we leave, that clear? And speak to no one of this. Go get breakfast.”
The smaller hunched man nodded several times before he handed the reins to Roilvn and ran off. “Of course, as you wish.”
Usris stood slowly; he too was spitting blood from the kick that Roilvn had delivered. “Why does he live? He attacked you, he should be a dead man.”
The Doktor ran up and kneeled down next to the broken form of Tezalant. He began to check him over quickly searching for any broken bones or even fractures in his face. It was a testament to Roilvn’s skill as a fighter that he had not killed the boy in the fight. He looked up at Roilvn and slowly nodded, “While I am not one to object when things did turn out my way, but why did you save his live?”
Roilvn laughed while he handed the reins handing Tezalant’s and The Doktor’s horses to the Doktor as well as his own and Usris to his man that followed him. He turned and retrieved his own blade and returning it to his hip. “The reason his is not dead is because I am a creature of my word. He will live to see the end of his journey, just as it was promised in the contract. We will not kill him, regardless of the cost, because I swore a blood oath to you when I pressed my thumb to that page. You got me love me or not. But that is not to say the young man was wrong.” He smiled down at Tezalant before looking towards the Doktor. “But why did not you tell me this child was the Magus of the Sky’s servant?”
The Dokor looked up at Roilvn slowly, his hands slowly lifting off of Tezalant. “What are you-“
Roilvn held his hand up and shook his head, holding out Tezalant’s blade hilt first. “This is the Blade of Azthen of the Sky Clan. And he is his servant. That is a fact. You do not need to question or even debate. I am not angry, but this is an important note that I would like to have known sooner. Now I doubt that this fight will go completely unnoticed, and we are not running late because of it.” Roilvn smiled down at the man, scooping Tezalant up and tossing him over the horse before he walked towards Usris. He smiled as he grabbed his own reins from the man. “Happy to not be walking?”
The Doktor sat stunned, trying to gather his thoughts as he heard Roilvn comment to Usris. Finally, the words were able to form in The Doktor’s mouth, springing forward. “And how can you know all of this? Are you someone who keeps company with the Magus? Why should I believe you about the blade? There is no way you could know any of that.”
Roilvn laughed as he mounted his horse, sitting comfortably in the saddle of Leroy. “Of course I do.” He shook his head and looked over his shoulder, slowly riding away. “I killed Azthen and his children. Was nothing personal, a paying job is a paying job,” Roilvn took comfort in the Doktor’s shock. “And furthermore, Tezalant Figured it out, and tried to take revenge. Now lets get going, we haven’t got all day.”
The four of them pointed their horses towards the south. The Doktor secured a lead rope to his own horse and directing Tezalant’s body. He had stopped the bleeding, and he would have a hell of a headache when he woke up, but he would live he would survive, and they would press on.
That was all they could do.

Chapter XLI

Warmersis sat out under the hot sun of the desert. He wounded what else he could be doing, but waiting was all there was. Haizews had moved, the bird and the magi family that protected him where dead, to prevent anyone coming back and seeking revenge. He tossed his hands in the air, before placing them behind his head and laying back on the lawn of the Temple of Time. He looked up, viewing his home in an upside down perspective. He did love this home, it had served them well long before the city had formed around them.
He remembered as the first few men stumbled in and started to build around them. At first they had not expect the Magi to do much about them, but rather thought they would spread out about the world. But for every hundred that stayed out, there was the calling into this little city state that served the Temple. Life had gotten remarkably better for them as well. The small oasis that was the founding location had its charms, but it could never support the vast expanse of the garden that the Forest Magi’s that held it together. He sat up and looked about.
Where was that woman? How long did it take to count out a night’s wage? They should have had it all counted out beforehand. But then again foresight was not the power of his sister. Mythane had many talents as the manager of the Gods. He laughed and shook his head. “I wish I could have created it, but she is the only one who can produce high enough quality.” He slammed his large fist into the ground, looking around with tired Eyes. He had not finished his task he had been working on for the last week. Rest was not as important to their kind, and it was never even truly rest, however he did like to unwind as did all things. He stood, his right hand naturally falling to the hilt of his blade as he marched towards the large wood doors that made or the castles main entrance. It was a truly beautiful area before them, and it had be his home since The Great Daemon Wars.
He smiled, looking towards the sky. It was the last time he had a great deal of fun, an entire planet of monsters that they had to force underground. It was what allowed the mortals that worship them and grow to the level that they had over the last four thousand cycles. They had started as slaves and creatures held under boot for the sake of servitude and life.
Warmersis honestly had no option of the matter. He had only helped out the humans so that he could have a war to fight. That was the best part of his job. He commanded entire legions of Magi. Each unit of men specialized to a form of combat and offense. The attacks rippling down the line as the Daemons fell one by one. He stopped in the entranceway, placing his hands on the stone. It was odd, but it was one of the oldest things he could touch in this world. That and Hemell. He smiled and looked down at his hands. His soul was old, as old of this world, maybe older. But this body was less than a hundred years old. He knew he had the youngest of the bodies of the gods. Hemell had avoided ever loosing his original body to this day, and he had gone through great care to do so.
Warmersis had no need for such things. He rarely lived his body out to the fullest, and that rarely allowed him to reach much of any age. He was happy to just be strong. He moved through the hallways, eventually making it to the heavy iron door of Mythane’s room. He hammered his fist against the door, the report of the strikes sounding like a ram against a tower door.
For a few moments the air hung with the doors vibrations starting to finally quell. Then the foreign sound of gear works and springs could be heard inside of the door before it slowly swung open, revealing a small woman with olive skin coated in fine jewels and metals. Mythane looked up at the large black bearded man, a look of impatient in her eyes. Do you have any idea how hard it is to balance wealth?” She shook her head, her hands grabbing five bags of gold off of the table. She let out an audible grunt as she tossed them on the ground at the feet of Warmersis.
Warmersis stooped down, grabbing the five bags in one hand, holding them with relative ease. He shook his head and laugh. “I haven’t the slightest clue. Can you organize a group of men to do a job that will never be seen again, be paid and do exactly was we ask, while not implementing us? “
The Olive skin woman shook looking up at her brother. “I can find a simple mercenary you haughty fool. If you keep offing so much gold, the world will flood, making the base of wealth to collapse. If that happens the mortals will get restless, and then they go and try to kill themselves in some extraordinary fashion; specially within the Seven Kingdoms.” She marched right up to the giant in front of her, her hand being placed on her rapier. “Leave my room, your making the room sleep of blood.” She almost spat.
Warmersis smiled, tossing the bags the fifteen or so feet across the room and out the door. He reached his right hand up and grabbed an axe off his back, tossing it towards the door. The head of the axe buried in the door, causing the metal door to slam shut. He smiled and placed his hand on the blade. “Shall we see if you can even wield a blade half as well as me? Your pretty gems may keep you safe in the mortals, and you may be able to buy your way out of most situations. But I am not here for money.” He drew his blade, extending his arms wide as he looked down at the woman below him. “Come and strike the first blow.” The woman stood still for a long second before Warmersis dropped his blade and slammed both of his hands to the back of his neck, his hands clasped together. “Clever.”
Down Mythane’s leg the blade of the rapier had extended, burring itself into the ground, sliding along the ground between them, and finally popping up and thrusting quickly for the back of the gods neck. The point pushed in more, dropping the God to one knee. Mythane smiled and shook her head. “You have no idea.” He jeweled left arm shot out, the bracelets and rings that adorn her armor shift almost like water into a long single point, build into a solid forearm guard. She quickly drew the blade across the larger god’s throat, his neck starting to spill out before he peppered his chest with several blows. The God grabbed his chest as he fell forward onto the floor. “And as for the Delivery, don’t worry, I will make it happen.”
Mythane stepped over her brother’s dying body, the blade of her rapier having returned to normal, and the blade over her arm returning to a bloody forearm covered in rings and loops. He was acting like a rabid dog. Sometimes you had to put a dog in its place to make sure it stayed there.
Warmersis coughed as he smiled, the last of his energy flowing out of his body. He floated out, heading back to his birthplace, to be reborn the largest battle field of this day. His soul slowly seeped out, floating off to the Dragon’s Snout.
Mythane grabbed the large sacks of gold strapped them across her back, groaning to the additional weight as she once again walked out to the garden. She took her time, walking through the blossoming hedge maze. She knew that inside of here there would be the one she sought. The flowers always smelt sweeter around her. As she wondered the mage she heard the voice of the woman from the center. “Warmersis, why do you stalk my garden, you know if you ask,” The hedges opened, the route to the center no longer a maze. Raiowood sat green hair laced with flowers of all sorts and smells, every one of them in full bloom. He face seemed to go pale as she realized who she was looking at, “You will have the center open up to you… Are you okay Mythane? Did someone attack you?”
Mythane shook her head and raised her blood soaked arm. “Brother Warmersis was acting as his boorish self; he tried to goad me into combat.” Mythane smiled as she walked towards the center of the of the labyrinth, the hedges closing behind her as she approached. “So I gave in and gave him the battle he almost did not see coming. But in the end he fell. He will be reborn out in some great battle field and be back within the month.” She smiled as she reached the center of the circle. “But I need a ride to the men Warmersis hired. Could you call me a great eagle?”
Raiowood looked at her sister for a moment before extending an arm to her dear sister. She smiled, leading her out of the labyrinth, the hedges opening and closing around them as they moved. Raiowood looked up to the sky, he hand blocking the sun from her eyes. “Let us see what I can get you.” Suddenly Raiowood’s mouth and nose shifted, turning into a eagles beak. She gave out two loud screaks and looked towards Mythane, the sound of her voice changes, made more hollow without the surrounding jaw around the beak. “We will have to wait but good job on defeating Warmersis. That is not something we all could do.”
Mythane shrugged as she adjusted again for the awkward weight of the gold. “Well he was being an a**. I was working hard and he was being overly critical. And plus we all know how he-“ She was cut off as she was enveloped by as shadow. Her head shot up and she scanned the skies before realizing that it was the Great Eagle she had requested.
The bird landed with a gentle thud, leaning down and nuzzling Raiowood who returned the affection. She smiled as Mythane slowly and awkwardly got onto the eagle. It was clear she had not thought the whole thing though. Raiowood waved as she turned back towards her blossoming hedges. “Good luck Mythane, enjoy your time amongst the mortals.”

Chapter XLII

Tezalant’s first thought was how much his head was pounding. He groaned as he swayed side to side in the saddle he sat in. as he moved his body to yawn was when he realized his hands were tied in front of him. His eyes shot open and he looked around quickly. He felt relief at first, he saw the Doktor and began to relax. He then looked forward towards the ends of the two horses in front of him. He moved to draw his blade once again, but his hands being tied up around his saddle horn made that impossible. He attempted to pull his hands up, but all he could do was struggle against it.
“Ah, it awakes.” Tezalant looked up to see Roilvn slowly falling back to ride beside the young phoenix. “So, Mr Tezalant, How was your rest?”
Tezalant shifted his body to look at the Daemon that had captured him. His black eyes sharpened in the direction. “My head is pounding and you have bound me to my saddle. I am a captive after you killed my entire family. I would guess I am doing well.”
Roilvn shook his head and looked back at Tezalant. “See, the problem I have with that is very simple. These horses are Magi Horses, and not Chaos Magi. And you attacked me at the sight of them.” Roilvn reached out, grabbing Tezalant’s black pony tail. “And look at this. You wear the black hair of the magi, Traveling with another magi, and yet not only are you not magi, but you claim I killed your family? Kid, I have killed many people, but your family? I would remember your kind. You’re stronger than you should be, and your aura is not that of a creature I have seen. So how did I kill your family?”
Tezalant shook as he tried to fight his bonds and lunge at Roilvn. He was furious as he s**t at the daemon. “My father was Azthen, Magnus of the Sky Clan. You are riding two of the horses from my barn. Leroy and James.” He watched the daemon as he started to laugh.
“Kid, I hate to tell you this, but you know that you can’t be his kid. You ain’t a magi. There is abso-“ Roilvn and Usris were surprised by a high pitch three tone whistle. It was not the whistle but the horse’s response. All three of the horses from the magi barn arched their back and kicked, bucking in a quick and fairly controlled manner. Tezalant’s slammed forward, but he could counter his back, letting the horses rocking and wild movements ride out under him. The other two were not so lucky. Roilvn slammed forward, his face slamming into the back of the large horse before he rocked backwards and started to tumble through the air, landing on the ground with a sickening thud and a loud groaning sound. Usris was also thrown, but he had shifted his body so that the tossing motion was as controlled as possible, he landed on the side of the road, tumbling to a stop on all four.
Tezalant heeled the horse, turning it as he looked down at Roilvn. The four horses had stopped. Leroy and James stopped because their riders had left. Roilvn’s arm pressed into the ground, slowly starting to pull his form off of the ground. “Don’t you ever tell me who my father is. Azthen raised me from birth. Now unbind me so I may ride my horse.”
Roilvn coughed as he spit into the dirt, seeing if he had busted his mouth open on one of his teeth. Of course he was. He shook the cobwebs out of his head as a smile split his face from ear to ear. “You where the Chaos Magi! We thought you to be some worthless messenger boy. Wouldn’t you know it, but you got away due to that hair boy.” Roilvn shut his mouth and rolling his tongue along his teeth before spitting another large glob of blood. “Bring your wrist together, and unslip it around the horn. It is meant so that you can sleep on horseback without falling off, or for securing corpses. Looks better from afar.”
Usris placed his hand on the back of his blade, looking at Tezalant. “Why did the horses throw us? What is it that you did?” The mortal stood close to the horse, his long clothes hanging from his form, his black hair drawn back in a top knot. His dark brown eyes sharpened towards the young boy.
Tezalant smiled to have his hands free, patting Fredrick’s thick neck. “Ever tried to ride a great eagle?” Roilvn’s eyes seemed to follow back to the boy now that he had worked his form back into the saddle. Usris stood, not moving, waiting for the rest. “My brother was training to be a great eagle rider for the sky clan. It’s an elite position in our clan, the highest for non-magic users. But most people cannot take the lift off. We trained our horses to try to throw us on a whistle. That way our bodies are used to responding to that of our animals, and it’s easier for use to take off.” Tezalant smiled and laughed. “And it was a lot of fun to pull that on unsuspecting and over confident riders and thieves. All of these horses where trained by my brother’s and my father. You’re riding Azao’s horse Usris.” He turned and looked to Leroy, before looking up to Roilvn . “And that carried the mountain of my younger brother, Atzente.“
Roilvn tenderly touched his ribs as he winced. Grabbing the reigns and waiting for Usris to mount his horse before he nodded. “Forgive me then, Tezalant, Son of Azthen. But I got some bad news for you kid. You know that it was not some small time gang that ordered that mission correct?” Roilvn shook his head, heeling his horse to move forwards has he turned. “It was from the God of War himself.”
The Doktor finally spoke up, having chosen to watch this boy work out his own problems, as well as he was surprised how easily that he had caused the two men to go sailing into the air. He had wondered how much help he would be to the boy. But he had noticed that the child had a bit of fierceness to him. It was a calming thought. “We know this as well as much else. I am a former Histan, I have been known as the Doktor for many ages now. I heard of the plot from my assistant. I tried to save Azthen, but it would appear you got to them first.”
Roilvn nodded slowly, solemnly. “We did indeed. And for what it is worth your brother died well. Both of them on their feet like men, and your sister left this realm quick. I know it is not much, but it is all that I can give you at this moment sadly. I am just a man doing my job, much like I am right now. I hope you know it was not personal. It was a job I was paid for, and I am sorry that it was your fate to lose your family. But not it is my fate to keep you alive.” Roilvn let his smile cut across his face as he laughed out his last sentence. “So how do I keep you from killing yourself? What are you kid?”
Tezalant rocked back and forth with the swaying of the horse from side to side. “I am a phoenix. I am not sure how it is I die. I have died before.” He blinked his eyes. It seemed like so much longer than just a week ago. He wondered what else had happened since he left his home. “But thank you. for giving them a proper death.”
Roilvn chuckled and shook his head. “We could all ask for such a fate. Your brother was a brave man.”

Chapter XLIII

The cold air of the mountain’s normally crisp morning held still for as long as it could. The brief moments of stillness being broken up with the sound of hammer on chisel coming together to carve the large blocks of marble. Each hit breaking the air before the sound of a lone man exhaling loudly, blowing the fine dust off of the marble. Haizews looked at the five images in front of him. His hands where wrapped in crimson clothes, and blood had been dripping from his fingers for a while. He was pushing this body too hard. It was not used to this form of labor. The last time he had done something this through it had been nearly a dozen cycles ago. His calloused hands had grown softly.
Haizews’ face cracked a grin, spinning the hammer in his hand as he stepped back to look at his work. Warmersis was right. His hands had grown soft, he had been far too sheltered as a god. He wondered if he would go roaming again, it had been a long time since he had gotten lost on his home isle of Appan. He wondered what the progress had been, if the emperor still held the throne or if a new family had moved in. He looked at the detailed figures of Azao, Gielbra, Gimi, and Atzente. He had been working all night and he had almost finished the task. His hands screamed for a rest. They ached to be tended to. He looked down at the blood soaked rags and the drops that had fallen from his hand onto the stone at various points in his nights work. “Almost finished my friend, just need to finish up your face.” He walked to the almost complete face of Azthen. He grabbed the chisel that he needed for the fine lines in the old man’s cheeks and lips. He blew the dust off the statue, wiping the dust away, leaving streaks of crimson blood across the face of his old friend. He smiled and put tosses the hammer and chisel away, removing the belt and letting it fall to the ground before it disappeared as it had appeared. He lifted his hand to the side of Azthen’s face, placing his head against the statue. “You where the greatest Magnus that the Sky Clan had known. Your father would be proud, I am sorry my friend, I will miss all of you.”
The God turned and began to walk down the path as the morning sun broke on the village. He watched his hands flow with blood, but he was sure that now that he had stop constantly reopening the wounds that they would heal in a rather quick fashion. He marched into the village with his head held high. He should have known that his brother was going to go overboard in the order. He could have delivered it himself, but he was right. It had to look clean from the outside, and for Haizews that meant doing the next part of his job. It was not something he looked forward to. He had lead his entire flock astray, dude to one loose end. At least this was the last end. He should not have anything else to worry about for a very long time. As he got to the outskirts of the village the commotion started. The God of Heavens and Skies was here. He was going to speak. The bell sounded as more and more people rushed out to hear the voice of the great God.
The village opened up in the market area. It was a small village, only about five hundred magi lived in the town nearest to the Magnus. The market square and the village square was the same place. A town hall with a bell stood behind of them, but the God moved to the raised stage near the town hall. He looked slowly out at the faces of his Magi. All of them seemed so lost, confused. The town seemed in order, but it was only through them taking care of the day to day. The weather had luckily held, but each face in the crowd had the same emotions. Lost, forsaken, abandoned. The god felt a tinge of guilt. He wondered if for only the briefest seconds if he had made the right call. It struck him as odd. He had rarely had that feeling, but here as he looked at his children he had that feeling once more.
The God took one final deep breath, then began. “I have lost a dear child this week. And more so a dear dear friend.” He shook his head and looked over the crowd. “Azthen, wise and elder Magnus of the Sky Clan was cut down in his house. We have never had such a monstrosity happen here before, nor to someone so dearly loved and cared for. I cannot bring your leader back, I cannot even bring back one of the young ones, a fact that breaks my heart more than anything else. The fact the whole family was eliminated, we must figure out for the first time who will be the next in line for the Magnus of the Sky Clan. We will call all the great Magi of the Sky Clan to decide who will be the next Magnus to step forward and try to fill the shoes of the great Magi that we have lost. But Like the sun when it disappears at night, the next leader shall come as a rising sun, lighting our way to a brighter future!”
He listened as the people began to cheer. He had done his part, he had contented the magi clan for now. He wandered aimlessly towards the path way back to the old burnt out house. As he passed the final house and started up the path towards Azthen’s home a man in leather met him on the path. “That was some fancy word work.” Detevic spoke calmly. His eyes looking towards the guard.
Haizews turned and looked towards the village. “It was not enough. We lost a great magi, and a better friend. Any leads on the attack?”
Detevic tilted his head and shrugged. “No sadly. There was a commotion, but by the time we could respond they were gone. My men have been searching and we have been doing our best, and we are close” Detevic looked towards the god. “Where will you be off to, Lord Haizews?”
Haizews turned and continued his way towards the path. In all honestly he was not sure what was next, but he did know his last place he wished to travel. “I think I will be off to see the Tower one last time before I head back home.”

Chapter XLIV

The sun hung in the afternoon sky. Haizews held his hand up to block the sun as he looked up towards the tall tower of Azthen. He rubbed his sore bloody hands together as he slowly moved forward into the shadow of the great tower. He shook his head and he walked over and kneeled down at the circle of fire near the entrance of the tower. There was a short but hot fire on the outside of the tower. He placed his hand on the ground before turning and looking back up at the imposing tower of the fallen Magi. Haizews lowered his eyes to the ground, sighing heavily.
The God stood and walked to the heavy oak doors that held back the secrets of the Magus. He placed his palm on the cold wooden door and looked up to the top of the tower. It was not often that the God would find something to make himself feel so small. Behind the door there were the stores of knowledge. While Hemell may have been the god of what would come to be, Azthen was in a place of his own with history.
Haizews’ hand wrapped around the handle of the door, pulling the massive door out with relative ease for the size of the door. The air of the first level smelled thick. It had been days since the hall had been opened so that the air could be allowed to filter in and out of the massive halls. The smell of blood could still be smelt hanging stale in the air. He moved slowly, looking at the masses of had written books and scrolls. Many of the written texts where written in the Histan city state of the Temple City, others had been written by mortal hands, and even a fair few seemed to have been written by magi, dwarf or elven hands. He walked slowly, the beams of light pushing through stain glass window frames. He walked by the suits of armors, each from different areas, some full heavy plate others small patches of plates linked with chain mail. Then he found the pool of blood that must have leaked from Tezalant. He stooped down and ran his fingers across the brown dried blood of his fallen enemy. He looked up and saw the massive book shelves. He turned and began to walk around the loop, finding the stairway to the next level of the tower.
Haizews moved up the stairway, his own natural glow lighting the small darkened area of the stairway. The next level of the tower seemed to be that of an arena. Wooden blades had been spars, and even some shields and various other weapons. However most of the work would not have involved weapons. He looked around the cold stone room, the smell of sweat and blood filled the room. Haizews moves through the room, his hands up in a normal fighting stance. He moved quickly, right and left jabs seeming to be aimed at some nonexistent foe. The God smiled he dances across the room. Kicks and punches moved quicker, the attacks and blows frenzied. Suddenly a right hook and the air stand still. The god smiled as he blinked, realizing that his old enemy would never be there to make him realize the opening in his legs and knees. He had lost the fight so many times with this blow against Azthen.
Haizews dropped his hands, looking around the room. There had to be another level, but that was only if he was remembering correctly. He slowly walked around the room, running his fingers over the stone. He had bleed on this floor. He had both victory and defeat on this floor. He was going to miss his friend dearly. He wondered if he would enjoy the next one. He wondered how the other gods managed to constantly evolve to accept the other blood lines every time a Magus died, or sooner if the right clan. Not Haizews. He had been working with one family since day one of the magi. It had been four thousand years ago that he had created Azthen’s great grandfather. Since then he had dealt with only this family. He wondered who or how they would come about the next Magus. The Sky Clans had yet to have their Magus die without an heir. He smiled, looking at the curved stairway that was hidden behind a small optical illusion. He stopped, looking towards the room he had had so many memories of the family he had lost. He shook his head and slowly began his way up the stairs.
The third floor of the tower was an odd floor. It was a glass dome room. In the middle sat a desk. The God smiled at the rather simple layout of the room. It was his friend to the very letter. It was a clean, organized, and sparse room. It was a plain and simple room. Much of the fine arts and sculptures had been removed. He never was much like his father’s taste. However he did seem to keep his grandmother’s garden outside. Haizews moved for the door, opening it and stepping back into the natural cool mountain evening air. He wondered how long he had been inside, but the sun was throwing its last few flickers over the horizon. If he was anyone else he would have needed a torch to help him see and navigate. But in the low light Haizews’ body threw off a glow of warm natural sunlight around him. He moved through the rather well sized garden. He had always preferred to walk the Temple gardens at this time as well, he enjoyed watching the flowers turn and reach towards him.
He looked up at the sky and watched as the first stars began to break into the night’s sky. He smiled as he reached his hands up. His ever fiber and hair standing on end as he began to draw from the village near him. The magi’s had been created to help run the natural parts of the world, but they constantly had magic flowing from them, open for a flow for anyone who could harness and grasp it. Haizews ran his fingers through it as he drew on the night sky, stars being created so far away that not even he could grasp it truly. The small lights flicked into existence. The Old man stood, strong, staff in one hand, sword on the hip. That is what he saw when he looked at the new constellation above him. The final act was one he knew would not be a popular decision. He dropped his arms and wept, tears falling down the cheeks of the god. He sat down on the stone of the tower, and slowly breathed in, pushing his breath out of his body. The motion he repeated twice, however on the third time something much different happened.
The third breath out started much like the same, but there was a small son from behind of the breath. Fainter than a whisper at first the sound raised into the roar of thunder. His eyes flashed, the loud crack escaping his lips, and then the dark black clouds that began to quickly leave his mouth. The sky started to grow dark, thunder and lightning breaking the still spring night. And then came the cold rain, falling from the sky, heavy and loud. The roar of the rain was constant and unrelenting, only being dominated for mere seconds as lighting flashes and thunder roars command from the sky. Haizews sat in the cold rain, tears falling between his legs before he looked towards the sky, letting the cold rain land on his warm face.
Haizews looked at the sky for several minutes, the cold rain helping wash away his sins. He felt off balanced. He needed to be around and help out with the coming selection of the next Magus family. He wondered if it could wait, maybe one of the other village leaders will take up the mantle and fill the position. He did not know exactly what the future held. Only Hemell knew that. He said the coast was clear, and that the problem had been handled. He had never been a diviner or and oracle. Only Hemell and those touched by him could do that.
But that was not to say Haizews needed to be told his future. He finally stood, walking towards the edge of the tower. He looked around, shaking his head as he had to remember how to get home. Normally he would start the journey back in Appan. But that was not the point of this journey. He looked into the clean office of Azthen and smiled, looking over the edge. He threw out his arms and the wings of a great eagle appeared from his arms. He stepped off, falling ever so gently to the ground below, Landing with a soft splash in the mud and water. Suddenly his left hand reached out, his hand disappearing for a brief moment before reappearing with a heavy cloak.
Haizews stood, heavy cloak keeping the cold rain off of his body. He was going back home, he would be back on his journey to find himself, and understand why he, a God, could not have everything he wanted.

Quotable Poster

2,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Roilvn Whiro
UC Poika
Roilvn Whiro
UC Poika
Roilvn Whiro
UC Poika

Made a creative space, and I am trying to hammer out the rest of this book

Good for you. Glad to hear it,

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
Chapter XLV

The sun set on the four travelers as they broke to make camp. They had made it to the mountains in a day, but it was because Roilvn had a more in-depth knowledge of the surface of the world than the Doktor had even thought or could have hoped for. What would have been three days by road Roilvn had made into a simple two days that used seven small roads that we more pathways than the highways that The Doktor had hoped for. Roilvn smiled at the four of them making camp in a small crack in the world that opened into a rather spacious cave. The sounds of dipping water could be heard further in as Roilvn walked into the black ink that was the cave.
For Roilvn the cave was light up. He could peer through the dark to the corners of the cave. He smiled as he turned back to his three companions standing in the fading sunlight. His voice soft still bounced off of the walls. “Well, there is plenty of room, are you all afraid of the dark?”
The three of them peered into the dark, trying to find the original location of the bouncing voice. All three looked to a different area, before The Doktor finally responded. “While I don’t disagree, I would like to see this room you speak of.”
Roilvn looked at him and shrugged, turning and dragging some wood scraps from his last stay there and piling them in the middle of the hole he had been using as a fire pit. He smiled and grabbed his flint from his coat pocket, also pulling out one of his throwing knives. He struck the flint with a practiced hand that sent sparks into the air, the old ruminates of his fire starting up. Suddenly a small breeze blew into the cave, the flames going from a small fire to a crackling fire with the refreshment of new air. Roilvn looked over his shoulder to see Tezalant walking in the cave from the outside. “Still mad at me kid?”
Tezalant slowly sat down next to the daemon. He had been confused. Most of his life he had been told how evil daemons where. How they could kill you given the chance and think nothing of it. How they were this evil being that wanted nothing but the destruction of the world. He was not sure yet if these monsters he had met on the planet’s surface was the worst of them. “Yes. I am mad at you. I want you dead, and it frustrates me that you are not as easy to kill as I would hope. One day I will be the one to kill you.” Tezalant sighed heavily as he shrugged. “But at the same time, I am not sure if that is what my father would want. I should be dead, you had more than just the opportunity, and I drew a weapon on you and attacked you from behind. In every culture I have ever studied you would have been right to kill me where I stood. Not only did you not kill me, but you even protected me. Today I should have been killed. But that same thing that did not let you kill me killed my family. But even though to me it looked like you butchered them, I want to believe the fact you gave them proper deaths.” Tezalant pulled his legs to his chest and looked into the fire, his eyes half closed. He remembered the lessons Azthen had handed him before his leaving of this realm.
Roilvn let his head roll to his right shoulder as he looked back at the child speak. He had had the time to kill the boy, and he was more than sure he was fairly capable. Then again the whole reviving thing was not something he was sure how to do. Suddenly a smile split his face in half, his laugh coming from his lips. He smile and nodded to The Doktor and Usris as they also joined them by the fire. “I look forward to the death at your hands boy. If anyone has earned the right to slit this throat it would be you.” Roilvn’s body lurched as he leaned backwards, his hands pressing down, his legs unfolding as he landed on his feet, hands on the back of the blade. “but you have better grow stronger and know that you will not always be protected by this contract. The first time my word is not broken, and you draw a blade against me, I will put you back in your place.” He turned and began to walk towards an small opening in the cave. “Usris, I need you to teach me that attack.”
Usris stood and reached out for his blade, sliding it into the sashes on his hip. The man slowly moved, his eyes looked towards Roilvn before back to the two left by the fire and then back to Roilvn. “Sir, I am not sure that this would be wise with our…” Again he quickly glanced back to Tezalant and the Doktor. “Company. He wants to kill you.”
Roilvn shrugged, looking towards them before he held his hands in the air, “Got no idea, but to be honest, it does not matter. If he can kill me then he no longer needs my protection, and m y word is kept. Now stop procrastinating. Show me that draw!”
Usris quickly bowed before his hit his stance, turning, drawing his blade behind a powerful slash. The entire slash extended forward, drawn just short of Roilvn. Usris had hope his captor would react, but he was surprised to see him barely move. Rather the look in his eyes made Usris’ stomach do a flip. Roilvn’s smile was unsettling, but the thing that really got the man was the look in his eyes. Usris had never seen someone with such eyes.
Roilvn cocked his head to the left and nodded. “Right, seems simple enough.” He fell backwards, a practiced maneuver that he rolled back, both of his feet finding the floor as he started to step forward, his movements mirroring Usris’ quickly, the sword drawing cleanly before the sound of metal on metal contact could be heard.
And the fight was on, Usris’ blade retreated back as Roilvn pressed his attack. Usris had never been on such an onslaught. He parried the blows as he stepped backwards, his body waiting, moving to counter before he saw his second. He stepped forward off of a parry, spinning his blade blackwards in his hand as he slashed from head to toe, the blade finding nothing but dirt. Roilvn stepped to the side, his free hand gently touching the shoulder of Usris as he danced around the boy. The touch was just enough to topple the normally well-grounded swordsman. Usris tossed his sword upwards, the blade sticking in the ceiling of the cave as he fell onto his back. He rolled and popped from the ground back to his feet. He quickly moved in, dealing two sharp punches to Roilvn’s side, followed by a kick to the back of the right knee. Roilvn cried out in joy and pain as he felt his base dropped to one knee. Usris stepped on Roilvn’s left knee, planting his foot on his shoulder before kicking off the daemon’s face into the air, grabbing the blade of his sword out of the ceiling before tumbling towards the ground, sword at the ready. Roilvn smiled, blade out in front of him, eyes still locked on Usris. Roilvn’s smile split his face in two. Usris felt like he was winning, but those eyes. Usris could not tell if he was a toy or winner, with those eyes he felt that he had no option but defeat. Defeat was not something he was about to accept sitting down. Usris charged, Blade backwards as he planned the final attack of this fight. Roilvn did not move, he waited until the man was within ten feel before he let it start. Suddenly the shadows leapt from the back of the cave, surrounding the two fighters. It was only a moment but in that moment he had grasped victory. Roilvn’s eyes peered through the darkness and he bounded around the blow, sweeping out the young man’s legs from under him. Usris had no idea what had hit him as he tumbled through the air. The one thing he did knew when the lights came back on was this. Roilvn stood, turning and placing the blade of his sword in Usris’ face.
And once again, Roilvn stood the victor.

Chapter XLVI

The Mountain Goddess sadly could not employ the ability to shift shapes like her brothers and sisters, but then again they could not bend metal to their wills. It was really a small matter of difference, but that small matter but her in the precarious perch that she currently found herself in. The eagle ride had been mostly a smooth and enjoyable affair. However the worst part was still to come. The bird had made two turns and it looked like it was going to land the goddess as close to the door as possible. She appreciated the thought, but the closest to the door was a tight fit through the canopy of the woods. And if the task would not have been complicated enough, the fact that it was just past twilight and the lighting for the landing was far below preferred. “I really can walk, it’s not that big of an issue, big birdy.”
However those kind words fell on deaf ears. The bird turned, aiming right for the center of the opening of the clearing/ Mythane could not be sure, but she had hoped she did not scream and shriek as they plummeted. The eagle shot the gap perfectly before landing on the ground and dropping its body low so that the goddess could dismount.
As a general rule Mythane liked to have her feet firmly planted on the ground, but in this very moment she had never been happier to have her feet firmly planted. She grunted as she shouldered the weight of the gold, starting to walk her way to the Tavern. She looked up at the sign above the door before she pushed her way into the bar. Instantly everyone grew silent. Mythane looked over the group of daemons in the room. She could not believe that her brother had chosen these savages and monsters to do their work. She curled her nose and looked around the dark room before she settled her eyes on the human behind the bar. She smiled and leaned on the bar, swinging her arm to get the bartender down to speak with her. The large round man of a bartender shuffled down to the woman. “’ello Pretty lady, so what can I get you to drink?”
Mythane smiled, he ivory white teeth shining off what little light the room possessed. “Just water please, and I have the money owed from Warmersis on a job?”
Shoat’s raised an eyebrow at the drink before he heard of the true purpose of this woman in front of him. He could not tell quiet who she was, but the fact that she had been sent by Warmersis proved her loyalty to him. He smiled as he placed a tankard and poured water into the awaiting glass. “Ah, well that would be Asin, but he is in meeting right now. You will need to wait.”
The goddess smiled, drinking half of the water in the glass. Before turning and looking at the half full tavern. “Busy night?”
Shoats belly rolled as he laughed, looking over the room. “Oh lord no. The only reason there is any kind of actions right now is because a father died and two brothers fight over his claim. One heard of us, the other one will not be so lucky.”
Mythane turned, looking towards the man, pushing her glass away. She smiled, lifting her heavily ringed left hand. As he hand moved over the glass the rings started to melt and reform into a single talon over her finger. Three plops in the glass of water could be heard as three perfectly round balls of gold sat in the bottom of the glass. “Are nobles the only ones that buy from here?”
Shoat’s eyes widened, he had never seen magic quiet like this before. At first he was not sure what to do with it. But after the gold dropped into the glass he realized he was being asked a question. He leaned back, stroking his chin thoughtfully as he prepared to answer the question. “Only nobles? Heavens no. They service everyone here. I have seen them protect villages that can promise something that would interest a mercenary. I have seen nobles slaughter each other without a trace and kings dispose of threats to their throne with a nod to a man who comes here. Even the gods have come to us for help on matters from time to time. Though I have never seen anyone from outside of this land comes here. So I guess these men couldn’t be the only ones doing the job.” Shoats ended the long and half rambling thoughts with a slight shrug, mostly due to the sound of Asin’s door being flung open.
“A drink men we have another contract! This fine man needs his brother to come to an accidental end in the woods! So who would like the contract! Come men! Who shall make the poor soul go visit the foul face of the Death Magi!” There was a loud and long cheer, filled with people holding up and drinking as commanded by their seemingly fearless leader. After some laughing and cheering a slender, think creature with slightly peeling skin stood up, she let out a hiss that sounded like wind rushing through the trees.
Mythane first thought of her as a sapling, but she realized that there was much more than met the eye. The creature and the man walked over to a table and began to discuss and speak in hushed tones. She watched the Val-Larian smiled from ear to ear as he seemed to complete some great task. She could not tell what he had done that was so special but it was clear he was the head around here. She smiled and nodded towards Shoats one last time before she again shifted and began to lug the mass of gold hidden in her bag. She marched right up to Asin and looked the man up and down quickly.
“You seem lost missy; sure you got the right location?” The Val-Larian practically hissed, his eyes shifting to the shorter god. Asin had no idea what this thing below him was, but he did feel that for some reason he felt like he should be afraid of this woman. He did not show this slight shiver, but stared down the woman that stood next to him. “Or do you need some killing done?”
Mythane blinked and looked at the man a little dumb founded for a second. She had not been talked down to in a long time and she was so surprised the she was stunned into silence. She looked up at the man for a second before she could gather her thoughts. “No, I don’t need someone killed, from what I heard; you killed six people for me already.”
It was Asin’s turn to be caught off guard. He would have been able to place the olive skinned woman if he had seen the fore a job. He finally took a good look at her before he began to laugh. The cheer in the room suddenly was sapped from the room. All of the men began to sit uncomfortably as the only sound in the silent tavern was the mad cackling of the lone Val-Larian. “Well I as live by Braithe! Look what has stumbled into our realm! First Warmersis, and now the Goddess of the Mountains! Mythane, you have come into the lion’s den, I trust you have good reason?”
Mythane’s noes curled as everyone began to look towards her. She felt the hair on the back of her neck stand as every muscle in her body screamed to start killing the monsters around her. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. It would be foolish to toss away this body, while she could create a new body like new, she never did care for the digging herself out of a mountain part of her rebirth. She instead slung the bags stuffed with gold into the chest of Asin. “Warmersis was busy, so I came to pay our debt so you could not hold it over our heads. Now if you will excuse me, but I would rather be back in my realm.” She turned and started to march towards the door, but she could not escape fast enough.
“That’s too bad, because this was a damn good reason for showing up!” Asin’s laughter chased the Goddess from the hall, the laughing of his men echoing his own sharp cackle. He smiled and started to pull off the bags of gold. “That b*****d Whiro made us look bad again boys! He claimed four kills to our two! What shame have we brought on ourselves letting that fool take his place above us?”
“They were only children, we took the Magus of the Sky and Heaven itself. They hardly compare.” The monotone voice of Jehestar cut through the laughter, his hand out waiting for his payment. “After all, we had our hands full, and we completed the contract as ordered.”
Asin shook his head, pulling out one of the bags and tossing it to Jehestar. “It’s not the point at all! If that man knew that he double the four of our kill count, then he would never let it lie. He would bring it up at every turn.” Asin began to laugh as he started to mimic Roilvn’s voice. “Oh I was the best killer on the Magus Job. That’s why I am the best OH-ho ho ho ho.” Once again the bar erupted in laughter as Asin looked towards the rafters. “Oh Tramp, I have a delivery for you to make. You the best hunter we got, need you to take your gold and deliver Roilvn his. I am sure you would not find it too hard to get it to him?”
The large scaled form of Tramp dropped down to the ground, landing on all fours and looking up at Asin with a glowing red eye. “If I was to leave now, I should find him shortly.” his voice grated over Asin’s ears, but his only response was a quick head nod. The large form of Tramp wrapped around the two bags of gold before charging off on all four South, chasing the tail of the daemon that had left earlier that day.

Chapter XLVII

The Morning came early and welcomed for Tezalant. While he did honestly enjoy the night from outside of the cold air, it would appear that rain had swept in. Roilvn leaned near the entrance to the cave, looking at the steady fall. Usris was sitting legs crossed, treating his blade and preparing it for the day. The Doktor had a bound book that he was writing.
And the sound of thunder crashing in the background , cracking and rolling over the sky. Tezalant rubbed his eyes as he looked out of the caves exit. Flashes of light broke through the cracks of the wall. Tezalant broke down his camp as he made ready for the day’s travel. He had not completely prepared for rainy weather. While it was not unheard of, was fairly rare. He readied his rain coat and fixed his bundle. Usris was the first of the final three, then it was The Doktor and finally Tezalant looked back and the flickering cave before he pushed towards the noise of the outside world.
It was not just lightly raining, it was pouring down. The rain came down in a roar, and the sounds of thunder and flashes of lighting would crash through the sky every few seconds. Roilvn stood looking fairly drenched as he held four very wet horses. Roilvn roared over the sound of the water falling from the sky. “It’s gonna be a long and miserable day on the backs of our animals. What would be a half of a day journey is about to be a day journey. We just do not have the means to move any faster than that. Let’s get moving.”
The four men mounted their horses with little effort, and began what should have been a beautiful half a day journey. The cold rain soaked into their clothes as the four of them rode through the mud. The rocking movement of their horses in icy rain was a slow and a crawl. It would a day of discussion if not for the roar of the rain. A cold long miserable day of travel, the only light was after today they would be out of the rain.

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300

Chapter XLVIII

A faint sound, like the rustling of leaves could be heard just over the din of the torrential rain. The movement was barely more than a shadow as something large seemed to be heading south at a breakneck pace. Tramps thirteen foot length was a made with a single driving thought. Destruction. Where Roilvn, Asin’s, and most of the other daemon’s bodies formed to the specifications of the mortals, Tramp’s had formed for that one purpose. As an engine of destruction no one could match him. He did not have to find a gate, he would go over. No obstacle could stop the great hunter. He could rend buildings to the ground and chase a running prey.
It would have been harder for him to travel if not for this off season massive rainfall. The cold drops of water hissed as it landed and splashed from his body. He stopped and shook his body. This was an obscure route. He had never traveled by this mountain side. He had no idea where they were going, but fortunately for him he was following a strong scent.
That same terrifying scent. He for a long time could not place that smell until the goddess had appeared. It was a smell of the soul. There was something wrong about it. He also had placed that boys odd scent. He was there with that Magus’ family. Something was off, Something was dangerous. He did not like the not knowing. Knowledge was more powerful that the strongest of metals if used with the proper application of force. Tramp may have been monstrous, but he had survived a very long time on the surface. He was smart enough to stay of the main trails, watch from a distance, and to never stop moving. He had even been working on his magics.
It was an odd truth of the world. While the magi had command of the strongest and the purest forms of magics, any creature could cast. Daemons more depended on their history and evolution. Tramp had been developing one form of magics, a nefarious trick. He moved along the mountain trail, his muscled form letting him move quickly, on all fours faster than a horse at a gallop. He reached the tight crack in the mountain face and noticed the change of scent. He stood about the area. He could not seem to find where they made camp. Roilvn could of course keep any trail could, he would expect that, but the other three ne was not as sure. HE could see where the horses had been, but nothing else. He slowly moved down the mountain face, his head constantly looking for something to be around him. He may have been the hunter, but when he hunted his own kind he never assumed he was on the offense. He hung close to the rocks, his hands reaching out and claws burring in the rock for extra support. He looked down, slinking, taking every inch slowly. The smell was getting stronger, and it was off. He arrived at a crack in the side of the mountain. Tramps body turned, trying to peer into this crack. Whatever was on the other side would remain a mystery, but he could smell them from the rocks. Sweat, battle, smoke, meat, daemon, magi, mortal and that child. They had been here; this crack was where they stayed. He stood on his rear legs, his claws nervously playing off of his naturally armored chest ribs.
He looked down at the ground and found the tracks that lead from this point, he leaned down and sniffed, a toothy grin covering the large monster’s mouth.
He was the hunter once again!

Chapter XLIX

Rainy days put a damper on everyone’s day, mortal and god alike. The Temple of Time sat in the heaviest rain it had seen in as long as many of the inhabitants could remember. While the city attempted to continue on with the day to day business, the rain was keeping most indoors.
It may have been the only time, however, that the number of blue haired magi was greater than all others combined. While most kids stayed indoors, the blue haired children were playing a form of tag that was only natural to them, the kinetic force of their tags traveling through the droplets to come in contact with the other children. While most of the younger children could only tag from a few inches, maybe half a feet, some of the older teenage boys were able to complete tags from almost six feet away with this method. Their laughter and play echoed through the city itself, adding a small touch of life to the otherwise warm wet moment in the world.
However inside of the temple itself the gods moved and acted as if it were any other day. For them it was the truth of the matter. The fear of the discovery of the phoenix had been replaced with the knowledge of his disposal. It was wrong to say the gods ran the world from this location. What they did was just a small part of the entire world, just another cog in the plans of the Old One of Order, the one that predates even the gods.
Raiowood sat inside of her maze. The water may have been heavy, but she loved the rain so. She pressed her feet into the grass beneath her, feeling the soil taking root and drinking the water, her rose red eyes looking up, the water rolling off of her face and to the garden around her, much to the joy of her normally very parched garden. She stood and walked, watching her beautiful flowers bloom and open towards the warm water, the fresh rain something they had not felt for a long time.
Mythane sat in the vaults below the castle, reading over the logs of the massive banks below their castle. Gold at first was created in excess, but she had learned of that mistake after the first continent wide collapse. Since then she had been keeping a fine record of all gold pulled by each of the kingdoms in the surrounding land. She tried to keep records of the other continents, but the Ice Lands of the south did not export enough for it to matter, and they kept all their gold local, and the travel time for information had always slowed down the rate that she could monitor the Dragon’s Head. The mass of islands in the area also helped with the issues. The mortals where traders, they had built massive ships for both land and water, hauling goods across their ever growing kingdoms. There had been a time when the mortals where far to scattered and scared to do anything of this fashion, but in the last four grand cycles since the daemons had been placed below the earth it had be quiet amazing. At first she would lather a town in gold to watch the way the mortals would react and come together, only to spend too much and collapse. However some of the kingdoms had found their own gold veins, gaining their own wealth as well. She watched the gold rich land lock regions collapse, gold being worth less than grain and bread. She sighed and looked over the books and the vault map of the complex. This one area possessed more wealth than any other location in the world, and with her guiding hand, she kept the mortals in a continual trade. It was hard keeping up with their industriousness. She was graced with the fact that they found the most simple things to fight about. She smiled and sat back, looking out the stain glass window of her own symbol the mortals had given her. A jeweled hand on a mountain of gold, on the other side sat the dwarf mark for her, an anvil with a hammer strike that threw off lightning bolts. A door opened and a brown hair brown eyed magi walked in, bowing before handing her a book. She looked down at it and read over the title. “Reports of Income, Rosveld.” She read aloud, running her fingers over the binding. Back to work, and Rosveld was a trade kingdom that was starting to get steam, their three rivals in the same mountain valley. This was going to be a long day for Mythane.
Passiaon sat in the only tower of the structure, high in the room on the top; she idly looked out into the cold rain on the outside. At first the cold drops created a hissing sound as they landed on the hot stone. Her eyes looked towards the ceiling before looking back to her task at hand. She sat, looking into her vanity. Her room filled with fires and braziers filled with burning coals and embers. The ashen goddess’ eyes looked closer to the same color of her face, the orange, reds and yellows coating her features to make her look like a flame sprit, rather than the normal pale face goddess that would normally be seen. She sat, slowly drinking as she touched her vanity, watching as the women and men of her faith asked. She shifted and frowned, It would appear another fire had been started, this time on the Isle of Ash, out in the Kingdom of Mannen. She wondered how long it would take for the mortals and the Magi to secretly work together to stop this fire, but it had been caused by one of the magi’s it would have appeared, training going out of hand. She ran her hand over her face, black finger nails scrapping across her skin. It was nice that the Histans had been keeping her up to date, she hoped that this unnatural cold ran that seemed to have swept in would be calmed, and that perhaps that part of the world would have a heavy rain as well. She shrugged and drilled her fingertips on the desk, waiting for something to do, something that would require her personal and delicate touch.
Braithe watched the entrance way to the temple, her soft eyes looking through the rain to the people beyond. She looked up to the sky, wondering what was in store for her mortals that shared they sky with them. She wondered if she would start to walk and learned again of the mortals. She wondered about going and joining up with a mercenary crew that would let her be a healer, it had always been fun in the past. She smiled, looking up at the rain. It had been like this, the cold rain falling when she had watched the first mortal she cared for died. She could remember his laugh and the way he moved in a fight. She remember the way he would protect her from the Daemons. She placed her head against the cold stone of the temple. A sigh escaping her lips and she pressed her hand against the stone at her back. She was going to go out again. Not for long, maybe only a couple of years, but she would find another crew, maybe a ship’s crew, they always had a close nit community.
Hemell stat in his darken chamber, looking down and reading allow the book of his father’s will. Every sound in a tongue that was even older than this realm itself. As he spoke flashes of images would fly past his eyes as he read the illuminated words. He was not sure if what he was seeing was truly what was happening or his own mind. The Magi’s that had stood beside him had shown some ill effects, and the mortals he had tried to use as readers seemed to absorb the book itself. It was confusing what it caused, it seemed to be different from person to person. Some becoming lame, some could not see, their vision becoming clouded. Each one however would have the future somehow spewing from them. While it was rare, it even occurred naturally, making the protection of the future to be very difficult. Sometimes even his own brothers and sisters try to get in the way. Why would they try to halt the march of time, the continual struggle to follow his father’s own plan?
The rest of the halls remained silent. The Gods had returned to their daily routines, the jobs that they preform to help make the realm of Casin run. Some did more than others, but without one, the entire system would come tumbling down. It was not sure what the future would hold, but a future without the Gods seemed bleak.

Chapter L

While it was hard to follow the trail, it was harder to not stumble upon them. Tramp’s movement was quick, moving along the high rock ledges as he followed the winding mountain trail down into the earth. The land in this southern craigs of the path had grown from slight measures to the fall that would push you out of your own vision. The sound of water was everywhere. The rains had been coming hard for hours now, and the mountain sides were starting to show the wear. Water cascaded and flowed in torrents, falling down the mountain and into the abysses between them.
Tramp stopped and lifted his nose to the sky. The scent of that creature was growing closer and closer. It was also fresher. He was getting close, possible too close. His silted eyes scanned the horizon, not seeing the party moving on the low trails. He looked towards the top of the mountain. It would be a move for him to get to the top of the mountain, but lucky for Tramp he did not need to go along any preset trails. He moved to the vertical rock faces and the large monster began to climb. This was the way he got most of his contracts. Creatures would look at Tramp and run to the walls, hold up and think that he would have to go through a door. How simplistic. He had built himself up to make war on any surface. His claws burry in the stone, pulling his massive form every forward towards the sky, as he reaches landings he quickly looks over the edge. He moved, keeping his body low as he heading closer and closer towards the goal on the top of the mountain.
He looked around the craig. He had come out of this area a grand cycle or so ago. He knew about where their party was heading, but he had no reason to ferry anything through these mountains. He sniffed the air and looked down the western face of the mountain. The rain made visibility a joke. And he was dealing with the eyes of Roilvn. He hated that daemon’s blessings. He looked along the path the party seemed to be following. His eyes punched through the rain, searching for the right trail, but not being able to find it despite his best efforts. He began to run down the mountain side when he caught movement out of the corner of his eye. The creature dropped and peered down the slope.
There, just on the edge of vision he saw the four of them. His eyes sharpened to take a better looked at the four of them. They must have moved off of the mountain side. He was not sure what exactly they did, but he could see them now. They stood, waiting well within striking distance from them. He could be down this hill and pounce before.
One of the bodies turned in the saddle and looked right at him. Or right near him, he was not sure, he did not try to stay up and tell if he had been seen, instead choosing to remain low and not move. He waiting, letting rain bounce off of his body slowly, waiting and debating his next move. He knew the path, and roughly knew how they were heading.
Tramp slowly raised himself over the edge of the cliff face he was hiding on. They seemed to have moved on, but did that creature did see him. His body began to shake, the sound of his quills rubbing together sounding like the rain but just a hair off. The spines began to catch and throw magic in the area, gathering it and allowing it to see what was around him, essentially making the monster disappear. He had no idea what it was about that kid, but he could feel the eyes of a hunter burning into his back, and he always seemed to know right where to look.

Chapter LI

The rain that had started suddenly did not seem to want to stop for anything, or anyone. The cold rain fell from the sky and made what should have been a fair spring day a cold rainy event. The icy rain would normally not be uncommon in the area, not even unheard of, but it made the day’s travel longer and made eating bread on horseback a most challenging task to complete. Even the act of riding was made harder and unending with the cold rain. Come mid-day they entire party was looking for a place to rest and enjoy a meal outside of this never ceasing rain.
What they had found was for a small section, the road cut back in, where some locals had carved the path so they did not have to move up the mountain to get around this cliff face. Under this carved roadway the four men sit and looked back and forth from each other. Roilvn was the first one to speak up after the long days travel. “So, glad we got some fine riding weather, bless be the magi for that.”
The comment hung in the air for a few long seconds. While it was not a directed blow against the two people in the room, it landed none the less. Tezalant and The Doktor traded glances and prepared their own return volley before Ursis provided a brief distraction with his limited mortal view on the world. “What exactly are Magi?”
All three of them looked at each other. The society had been so divided by their knowledge. Of all the creatures on the face of the planet, the mortals where the only ones as a base creature could ask what are magi. What they were changed from place to place. Finally after moments washed by torrential rain, The Doktor finally spoke up. “Where are you from, Mortal?”
Usris shifted uncomfortably as he chewed his bread. This had been the first time in conversation that it had turned on him, and truth be told it made him a tad uncomfortable. He shifted from his right to his left, slowly looking around the room. He pointed off towards the rising sun. “I come from several island chains in the great sea, called Appan.”
At this news Roilvn almost choked on his heel of bread. Tezalant on the other hand closed his hand and tapped his fingertips together, his mind rolling through the many scrolls he had read and put away over the years. “Appan, A small country, surrounded by water on all sides. The nearest neighbor was to the south, whom with a much smaller army and treasury to pull from, won with a mystical and unnaturally magical actions. Often called the mortal monsters, these men could be trained in a wide variety of weapons, including most notably single blade swords and improvised weapons. While the average mortal would possess no magical strength, Haizew’s birth on this small island allow for the infused of magic in the blood of every mortal from this small island. Due to that high magic, the First thousand cycles had been fairly low in the matter of Daemons keeping hold on the land, most being cleared out long before Haizews returned to do the job himself in the early cycles of the second Great Cycle. In the middle of the third Grand Cycle they unified the small island chain under the single flag of the smallest of the three states, Appan.” Tezalant sat for a moment as he thought. “Is that right?”
Usris sat stunned for a few moments. It had been almost three cycles on this content, and he was not much older than whatever this young child was. It was also the first native that was able to rattle off the basics of his own home land. While some concepts alluded him, like magics, Daemons, and Haizews; other thing he could call from his own education. The three island kingdom had just past their second Grand Cycle was true. They had conquered the larger countries to their south and had established a country that stood to this day. “Yes, it was correct. How did you know all of that?”
Tezalant smiled and shrugged, taking a drink from his water skin. “I used to tend my father’s library, It was more or less what I could remember from the Fifth Grand Cycle Tomb, where it listed a small bit about everything in the world. I am sure there is a lot more than I could remember.”
The Doktor took that line as his que to step in on the conversation. He leaned forward, finishing the mouthful of bread before speaking. “And to answer what are magi, I am one, and Tezalant thought himself to be one for a long time. We were created to help the mortals on the planet’s surface to push back the darkness that had enveloped the world. The continent you stand on now we cleared first, and then slowly we moved, clearing out the dragon’s maw and finally the island chains. Appan was one of the first ones we traveled to, Haizews was very excited about going home. Little did we know you had cleared your problem. After that, we split, and with the daemons forced underground the surface was as chaotic as ever. The Magi, when distributed appropriately, have been able to balance the world’s chaotic nature out of it, allowing for a steady and very controlled world. We keep the sky’s clear when it needs to be, and help it rain when that is needed. We build mountains, deposit gold, remove forests and grow them again.” He took another bite of his bread, swallowing this bit a mite faster than he had his others. “Magi tend the grove that the Gods created.”
Roilvn laughed, flicking another small ball of bread into his mouth. “So then, after we got forced underground, they try and try to keep us there. It’s funny what popularity does to an idea, what makes you a traitor today would make you a hero tomorrow. This realm is in a constant flux. The daemons held the reigns, now the gods. Maybe one day you mortals will get a chance to hold with world without any of our help, but that is many many cycles from now, and if you do, you had better hope you have learned their way.” He made a motion towards Tezalant and the Doktor. “They are the ones that work so hard to keep your little world safe. Without the magi the seas would rise up, the clouds would fall to the ground, winds would sham their gusts into the ground and pick up entire villages, moving them miles away. The mountains would explode and liquid rock would flow freely.” Roilvn flicked another ball into the air before catching it in his mouth, swallowing it whole. “You see, us daemons can live with that. Hardships make us grow stronger; as we fight and grow we evolve to our own needs. It is why I look like this and Wholfe looked like he did. But you mortals tugged at the heart string of Braithe, who got Warmersis involved and that man does not stop till he is dead or his target is dead. Once we were force underground they made this realm on a silver platter just for you!”
Usris looked around the area as both Tezalant and the Doktor nodded in agreement. He had been a man for several years now, but he had no idea that the world was ran in such a way. He could have guessed that he would have never learned of the world’s true nature if it was not for this monster that saved his life. All his life he had heard of men swept up to fight monsters and rise up to the occasion. He wondered if this was what it felt like to know that he was marching into something strange.
The Doktor stood, brushing himself off as he spoke. “Well, we may as well be moving on, this right is not going to be getting any shorter.”
The four of them remounted their horsed and headed out of the small tunnel that had taken their meal in. They continued to moved towards the south, moving back into the heavy cold rain. Who knew how long it would take, but they knew they were making good time.
Roilvn even believed that they would have an eventless trip back. That was until the kid spun in his seat and looked back towards the mountain behind of them. Roilvn heeled the sides of his horse, the animal picking up its pace in the thick heavy muddy water. “What’s wrong with you? What you looking at?”
Tezalant shook his head before looking back towards the mountain behind him. “I don’t know; just have this unshakable feeling that we are being hunted.”

Chapter LII

The four men rode onward into the last hours of the day. The rains had not warmed nor had it grown lighter, but rather continued to fall at the same constant unending level. While Usris seemed to be more lax, the other three had not stopped waiting. They were not sure what was hunting them, but it was something that was still worried both Tezalant and Roilvn. Tezalant had never enjoyed this feeling in the normally fleeting moments that he would feel it. It was even worst when it had kept with him for more than a half a day, and other than that passing glance he had not seen it. While Roilvn had yet to see anything, he had little fear that the child was wrong, he was more concerned with what would be foolish enough to hunt them. Or deadly enough passed through his mind with a shiver down his back. There was no telling what it was the gods would send after then, after all, he was no slouch in combat.
The heavy rain had slowed them down for more than just cause a miserable day of travel, but it had even cause major delays. Several times the road was washed out, boulders had grown loose and tumbled down towards them. A normally thin and complete path instead was being interrupted at every turn with torrents and cascading water running towards the abyss that ran beside them. While the journey was slow, it was not impossible. As the four men turned the final bend they could see the entrance to Kraig Danavirki.
Across a large plateau, not nearly as wide as it was long, and across the abyss sat the mouth of the cave that would lead them ever downwards the to the great walled city. the wide opening was clear of all debris other than a large boulder that sat just a few horse lengths away from the opening of the path. A clear shot from here to the cave. Roilvn allowed himself to feel hope before his horse stopped moving. He looked down and then right and left. All four of them seemed to be fixed on the boulder. “Tezalant,” He shouted over the roar of water. “What’s with your horses?”
Tezalant also was having issue with Frederick, who was shaking his head wildly. Starting to rear up and back away. While the motion was simple for Tezalant to follow, he wondered if their reaction was for the same reason as his increasing dread. “No idea, they have never done this before. They seem really spooked.”
Really spooked was an understatement. If they stayed on the backs of the horsed much longer each one of them was going to end up in the mud. “Maybe it is something meant to keep wild animals from entering the Kraig.” The Doktor offered. “They may not want to move any further, we may have to move forward on foot.”
Roilvn looked down the line as he fought to keep his horse under control. He grabbed one of the saddle bags, and slung it over his arm, hopping down. The motion was repeated by the four of them. Each man quickly when to work taking the saddle and halter off of their animal before shooing them away and letting them leave the area that they clearly would not want to be in. The four men then began the much more difficult task of walking across the open muddy ground.
It would not have taken much longer than five, maybe ten minute to get to the Kraig entrance, however they only got to the boulder before Tezalant dropped his saddle. His eyes locked on the boulder, and it was… breathing? He tilted his head as he looked toward it.
The other three men stopped and turned to Tezalant. It was a bad enough moving on foot in this storm without the kid slowing them down. Roilvn reached out and grabbed the young phoenix’s arm. “So you gonna pick up your saddle or just leave it here for safe keeping.”
Tezalant’s right arm rose up and pointed towards the boulder, is voice coming out a bit shaky. “Is that boulder… breathing?”
Roilvn looked quickly at the boulder to toss some insult at Tezalant about being a crazy magi after all before he saw the puff of hot air escaping from the rock. Roilvn then too dropped his saddle, both the Doktor and Usris following suit to drop their saddles into the mud, all three of them bringing their hands to their blades.
The boulder rumbles, a grinding grating and near painful sound coming from hit. Two silted eyes opened as the sound of rustling leaves was heard as he began to move. “That a way to greet the man who brings you your pay? How very crude of you.” Tramp’s voice cutting through the rain, his red eyes looking directly at Roilvn before he sniffed before he looked back at the boy. His massive arms moving under him as he uncurled himself to stand on all four, clubbed tail slowly swaying back and forth, looking for the place to strike out to. He slowly reached his arm under his body, tossing a heavy bag of gold to the feet of Roilvn. “For killing the Magi, and all of his kin.”
The moment hung tense for more than a few seconds, finally being broken by a flash and a crack of thunder. Roilvn slowly leaned down, grabbing the bag and tossing it over his left shoulder. He was hoping that this whole thing would pass without incident and his luck would hold through. If there was ever a fact, it was that Roilvn happened to have a sort of fools luck.
However, fools luck only covers so much. Tezalant’s voice cut through the rain. “You did not kill all of my Father’s Kin.”
Roilvn’s heart sank as he watched the eyes of Tramp expand in a form of shock, then in recognizement, and finally in target acquisition. He watched with horror as Tramp lurched forward. Roilvn jumped forward, swinging the massive bag like a club, twisting his hip to throw his weight into the swing. Tramps open claws just cutting through the front of Tezalant’s tunic before the strike from Roilvn stopped his movement. The bag exploded into a shower of gold coins. “RUN!”
Tramps massive form, while it stopped moving forward was far from done. He spun in place, clubbed tail swinging in a wide arch aimed for anyone. While Usris and Roilvn may have been quick enough to see the blow coming the same luck could not be had with The Doktor or Tezalant had been far too slow. Usris quickly tumbled forward, grabbing something out of his back pocket, holding it in his left hand. The Doktor felt the tail crash into his side, a loud crack being heard as his body is lifted and tossed, sliding through the mud before stopping inches from the cliff face. Roilvn dropped low, sweeping Tezalant’s feet out from under him. Roilvn was the first to hop back up, his blade drawn and swinging at Tramp with a fast cross slash.
Usris watched his master’s attack as he moved to contain the beast. But there was little more he could do other than contain. The large beast was clearly after the quarry her was meant to protect. He tried to cut, but instead continued to slide along the mud.
Tramp’s natural body armor with the spines was more than enough to catch the blade of Roilvn, some of the spines getting cut and flying into the air. Tramp’s clawed arm moved shot out to remove the issue in the way. Where Tezalant was in luck to have someone stop the attack, Roilvn sadly did not. The large claws dug into his side, digging in and tearing chunks of flesh from the daemon. Roilvn felt his body start to fall as blood started to gush from the wound. Roilvn dropped to his knees as he looked up towards his attacker. Tramp reared up to his almost eight foot size as he looked down at the injured form of Roilvn. Tramp grabbed the daemon with massive hands, lifting him and tossing him like a broken rag doll towards the entrance of the Kraig. He turned to watch the body slide for a brief second before turning back to Tezalant.
While Tezalant started to move away as quickly as he could, Usris sprang into action. As Tramps arm rose to deliver a killing bow to the fragile creature suddenly he felt something wrap around his arm. He twisted and followed the chain back to the mortal that stood, black hair down, soaked with rain, eyes looking towards the beast. Tramp turned and shook out his spines, letting out a roar as he began to drag the chain in. Usris called out. “Tezalant, Doktor, Get Roilvn in the Kraig!”
Both men scooped the much heavier man under each arm, trying their best to drag the man toward the rope bridge that made the crossing to the Kraig possible. Tramp looked at them moving before he continued to pull in the chain. “Finally Mortal, Come, Let me eat you as I have since you walked in my door.”
Usris smiled and threw the small ball that he had held in his left hand, the orb flying try before exploding in the creatures face, followed by a roar of pain. A thick red paste sat over the entire mouth, nose and eyes. Tramp dropped the chain he had gathered and brought both hands to his face, trying to claw out the burning that had covered his face. Usris dove between the larger creatures legs, pulling the kusarigama’s chain, forcing the right arm of Tramp down and between his legs, being careful to dodge the tail.
Tramp fought to regain control of his right arm as he roared. He was not used to fighting without any senses. He had no idea what the mortal had thrown in his face. He tried to smell and open his eyes, but even the heavy rain was not helping with the removal. He coughed as he roared sweeping his tail from side to side, slamming into the wet moist ground. “Where are you mortal! What is this foul trick of yours!”
Usris dodged left and then right as the tail that was aimed for him landed far to close for comfort. He tumbled forward, looping the chain behind Tramps left knee, pulling forward to flip the creature on its a**. He turned to see how the others were doing.
The other three moved as fast as they could towards the rope bridge. Roilvn faded in and out of consciousness as Tezalant pushed every ounce of muscle and energy that he could manage. The bridge was near and they would soon be inside the hopefully dryer caves that lead to the Great Kraig. He looked over to the fight as he heard Tramp roar in pain. He had no idea how that mortal of all people was holding up to such a ferocious monster. He looked down at Roilvn who’s head hung, blood dripping from his lips as he coughed, the rain being soaked with thick red droplets of blood. Tezalant was not familiar with the daemon body, but he knew that if this was not fixed soon it would kill most creatures.
Tramp tossed the chain aside and began to swing his arms around. He growled and quickly kept turning in a circle, the grey skin starting to shimmer and shake to its normal colors of black. He continued to swing as Usris started to spin the weight on the end of the chain again, stooped low as he watched the larger creature lash out at what he could not hear or see. He smiled, letting out a whistle, the sound bouncing as Tramp turned to strike at it, missing mortal by a wide margin. Usris swung the weight over the top of his body, catching the chain under foot before putting it on his toe and kicking it up under the jaw of Tramp. As the heavy metal ball slammed into the lower jaw of the daemon it roared, lashing out at the air again. Usris had the creature where he needed it, he launched three more attacks, each time the chain sailing into the face of Tramp. However the third attack Tramp turned, lifting his arm up and catching the weight around his right arm again. The Daemon, rather than pulling in turned and started to run in the other direction, pulling chain taught before he turned and struck along the chain with his tail. Usris’ eyes shot open as he dove towards the cliff face. Smiling as he screamed out. “He is going to kill me!”
Tramp’s head snapped to the sound instantly, charging to take this cursed creature out of the realm. He had long ago lost his sense of direction. Usris dove to the ground as the much larger creature sailed over the edge of the cliff.
Usris stood and quickly ran towards the mouth of the cave, crossing the bridge as he looked left and right before looking down. Inside the mouth of the cave stood two signs that he indeed was heading the right direction.
The first was a trail of blood with two trails on either side, and two sets of boots, showing that he had bought enough time for Roilvn and the others to make it to the safety of the cave and the city that would like within it.
The other was a sign, carved into the stone, with a body of some mortal looking creature spread wide, body cut opened and guts spilt on the floor. Above that, carved into the stone itself was a simple message.
Woe to those who trespass in Kraigs Danavirk, This is the Realm of the Strong; all the weak shall be culled from realm of the living.

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
Still happy to take any questions of comments
I haven't read any of it yet, but going by the other commenter, I think (if you're good) it's worth trying to get traditionally published.

Just because once it's self-published, no one's interested in it.
Unless you get a huge fan following and get a book deal on the back of that, in most cases it's probably a small reward.

(To be honest, posting the whole thing on Gaia is probably a form of that)

(Also, I'd rather read left-aligned prose!)

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
I Am Smartie
I haven't read any of it yet, but going by the other commenter, I think (if you're good) it's worth trying to get traditionally published.

Just because once it's self-published, no one's interested in it.
Unless you get a huge fan following and get a book deal on the back of that, in most cases it's probably a small reward.

(To be honest, posting the whole thing on Gaia is probably a form of that)

(Also, I'd rather read left-aligned prose!)
Thank you, I suppose I could align left just as easy.

I plan on tossing this to DAW books to start, and moving on from there.

Devout Loiterer

10,700 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
omg omg please publish on smashswords i will love you forever and ever and ever .....totally random person posting i know but i'm a huge fantasy addict i usually read all my online novels from "free-online-novels" btw i just happened upon your post in the art forum

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
shaiya_the_dark
omg omg please publish on smashswords i will love you forever and ever and ever .....totally random person posting i know but i'm a huge fantasy addict i usually read all my online novels from "free-online-novels" btw i just happened upon your post in the art forum
Link?

Devout Loiterer

10,700 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
smashswords.com is a great site it allows you to upload your own books for readers i think you can also charge to have it read online or downloaded by the reader. I am not a writer i have no idea how it works but as a reader the most i've paid for a novel from SS is $4.99

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
Updated ^.^

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
And chapter 41 is finally up!