Wheezing Prophet

5,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
This has been bouncing around in the inner chasms of my mind for a while now, but I hadn't been able to put any of it onto paper. I decided to forsake study for the night and proceed with starting this. It isn't fully fleshed out yet, so there will be plot holes that will need to be filled and that will come in time. But for now, tell me what you think, what should I change, implore to me of the grammatical mistakes that are there. I know there are several, grammar is my Achilles heel..

But without further ado and pointless blabbering from me....

=========================================================================================

In all future aspects of the world, five millennia ago one aspect held true.

Destruction.

It was all that carried mankind throughout its long life on the planet it called home. Now to that planet has come a Doom. Not just any doom, but the final Doom - The one where nothing will ever come from it again; it is the end of the once-thought, eternal cycle. But one thing must be understood. There are other realms, other plains of existence, that hold true to the one where humans dwelt. The world throughout its inner and outer shells, there herald portals in, out and around these realms. But nearly all of them are gone and though some species of sentients have managed to traverse these portals, not all of them have been able to return to their homes. Time is running out for these beings. The last days of Earth are here and without a Second Coming of Humans there is no reason to stay. Before the last fires die and the last portal closes, one Being must be returned to his home in order to save his own people, before it is too late.

Victor Cha’lee, of the Seventh Quotient of Solace must find his way home to Siri’lae. But first, he must trudge his way through the Trials and pass through the Ninth Gate - The last portal. Little does Victor know however that a Dark One has sprung forth from the Coals of the Deep and is poised to make a strike against all existence. Victor has finally come to the one place he knows where he can get the help he needs in returning home. He travels to the final resting place of an old friend to begin his journey…

The air was a stillness all too familiar at this eerie hour in the dead of night; it was fitting, really. Standing in a courtyard with naught but surroundings of ancient carved headstones that read last quotes from descendants long gone; of course the air was going to be still. The earth, air, breath and soul – all deathly still. How can something so final have a sequel? How can something so silent and progressively unmoving have any chance of a reversal? How can life and death go to death and then life?

These were the questions that Victor was pondering when his golden chained pocket-watch’s hands struck the Witching Hour. The one hour where the veil between realms was torn. If anything was going to happen, now would be the time.

He took a crumpled piece of parchment out from his pocket, took a deep breath and began to read aloud:

Of all that is gone,
Of what my heart does desire,
To weep bittersweet, though not
For an otherworldly empire.
Too true, for misery,
The soul’s one fantasy.
I bid thee to come hither,
I bid thee thy company.

I bid now for the realm
Too broken to see. To tear
Away its mask, and
Now, for that one so dear,
Appear to thee!”

He waited with bated breath. Thirty seconds had passed. Forty seconds. Fifty…

Nothing happened.

He turned to return to the entrance when a voice in the blackness broke his gait.

“Leaving already?” it asked.

Victor blinked and noticed the subtle vision of a translucent figure of a woman standing before him.

“I feared that it had not worked,” he said.

“For a moment there, so had I,” replied the figure. “Tell me, why have you summoned me? Here, of all places…”

“I thought you would have known that already.” Victor said.

“I want to hear you say it.”

“Truly?”

“Yes.”

Victor sighed. Dealing with the sentiments of loss always dealt long passes of conversing.

“Fine,” he finally said. “I miss you.”

“More.”

“Sara…”

“Tell me more, Victor! You would not have summoned me to just tell me that you missed. You could have said that to the tomb beside you. Tell me what you want!”

Victor knew this would happen. Sara already knew why he was there, but death it seems, had not taken away, nor even wearied her tenaciousness. It was a paradox when it made him love her even more.

“Fine,” he said again. “You know the limitations of this realm, and of the way to circumvent these limitations. I know there is a way to get my old life back. But for that, even I know there is one thing that must be done.” He took another deep breath. “For me to return home, I need to die.”

Sara smiled. “Yes,” she said. “There it is. It is such a melancholic thing to finally say, is it not? It’s so dark, so macabre. But have you truly thought of what you ask? The consequences I mean.”

“Yes, I have,” answered Victor.

“Then you must know that I cannot give you what you seek,” said Sara. “But I know one of who can.”

“Tell me,” said Victor.

“Victor…”

He looked at her and noticed that she had moved closer to him. He could see her long black hair, her dark green eyes, pale skin and flowing white robe. He also noticed the purple brooch he had given her long ago. Centuries had come and gone since then, but still she wore it – it was a testament to their bond.

There was also a tear that was slowly falling down her cheek.

She looked directly into his eyes.

“Victor,” she said. “I love you more than what I could ever put into words. From the first time we embraced each other in the Void and till the future for when time stands still and we return to the Void once more, I will love you. But to knowingly send you through that ordeal to get back to us; to me … I do not know that I can do that. I do not think I have it in me to know I will be the cause of your suffering.”

“Sara, my sweet …” Victor held up his hand and showed her the wound that clung to him still. “This curse I suffer will haunt me until the end of days … if I stay here. We both know I am not one for this world; nor it me. We would be doing it a favour if I left. I want to come home. Please…”

Sara slowly nodded. “Ok,” she said, reaching out for his hand. “I will help you.”

“Thank you,” he replied. He reached for her fingers, but they both knew the inevitable outcome. The Ones cannot fathom the Lost Souls. Their fingers moved through ethereal space and fell to their respective sides. “I promise you, I will be able to hold you once more.”

Sara smiled at this, and Victor took solace in her grace. “I know,” she said. She looked at him and asked, “You remember the Old Tales? The ones about the Trials of Fallen Souls?”

Victor nodded. “Yes,” he answered, “but they were just tales told to frighten us. That is all what fairy tales are, my dear; stories to frighten young ones to follow morality’s path. They are a myth.”

“No,” said Sara. “They are true, and you must take them if you are to return to us. You must face the Trials and return to us as you once were. You must be cleaned from all injustice and demise. The world you are in now consists of naught but nightmares and haunting spectres. The Earth That Once Was is no more, its cities destroyed, its people long forgotten. No presidents, or ministers or democracies stand. The Fall has left that landscape barren of all purity and left it with nothing but nuclear ash and dust. You carry the Lost Souls with you. The ones you have killed in order to survive. They must be purified for you to return. There are a chosen few, who will guide you on your journey, and there will be some who will try to forbid you from the path; you must not take their folly fears at face value. In life they were nothing, but in Death they are powerful.”

“I understand,” said Victor.

“No, you don’t,” replied Sara, sadly. “But you will. Before the End, you will truly understand what you face. And I will be there, I promise you. Once you get to the Final Gate, I will be there to greet you, and O! Such a night it shall be!”

“Then let it begin.” Victor said.

Sara nodded. “There is a man – a human – one of the last ones left alive on this Earth that is still knowledgeable in our ways. He was one of us, long ago. You know of whom I speak?”

Victor nodded, but couldn’t believe his ears. Was Sara truly suggesting what he thought she was? “Simon,” he said. “Simon the Fool.”

“A name he has earned, but nevertheless grown accustomed to in his long tenure, yes.”

Victor was stunned. “You want me to go and see, Simon? After all that has happened?
You know if I see him, I may just kill him?”

Sara nodded, but even through his spite, her facetiousness soothed him. “Yes, I know,” she said. “Alas you must go to him, however. He knows of the Way. There are only a few portals left on your plain of existence and with each passing days, another portal dies. You have no choice but to seek him out.”

Victor inwardly cringed. “Fine,” he said out loud. “But I do not even know where to begin.”

“I do,” said Sara. “Remember the cottage down by the river in the East? Before I left, I found out that he was living around there. But from what I also heard, he was not living alone. Creatures from the surrounding forest were also lurking about.”

“Haunters? Goblins? Mutations? What?” asked Victor.

“I do not know,” she answered. “But they are Dark, so be on your guard.”

“I will.”

“Then it is time for us to part,” said Sara. “Before I leave, I will tell you this: as you leave this place, go to my tomb and look under the stone chalice, you will find something that was supposed to be given to you long ago. It will help you.”

Victor nodded. “Will I see you before I reach the Gate?”

Sara smiled as she slowly vanished back into the darkness. “Who knows, my darling,” her voice echoed. “There are many paths to tread; who knows when we shall see each other again. I will be waiting….”

He did not hear her voice again whilst he was in that courtyard of empty life. He went to her tomb as he was instructed and for the first time in an extremely long time, Victor Cha’lee smiled. For in his hand, he clasped the purple brooch he had given Sara a millennia ago, and as he felt its warmth and saw the purple jewel start to glow, he felt an unusual sensation creep back into him and warm his heart.

For the first time in an extremely long time, Victor Cha’lee was filled with hope.