Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Friend

Hey y'all, this is my first post here on Gaia so... Yay? neutral Been rewatching of Firefly lately and decided to post a short little space western thing I wrote a few months ago. Hoping to get some opinions on whether anyone would be interested in longer stories in this vein. Comments and critique are welcome and VERY encouraged. smile

Also, I cannot for the life of me figure out how indentations work here and it's driving me nuts. (I'm new to the site.) So any help in that department would be much appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Untitled

A noxious concoction or gases and fumes burned Richter’s lungs like fire with every labored breath. These badlands seemed to stretch on for what seemed like thousands of miles, with only the occasional chimney vent breaking up the flat skyline. Siren’s twin suns seared the cracked soil like the eyes of an angry god, parching the land of precious moisture. Richter took a sip from his canteen and scanned the horizon, looking for signs of his quarry. Night would be coming soon, and he didn't want to be out here come nightfall.

He was a bounty hunter, gun for hire, tracker, and all around equal-opportunity b*****d. He’d been hired to find and capture a debtor to a powerful crime family back on Centaur Station, a nasty Trog son of a b***h known for his itchy trigger finger and a hot temper. Richter had been chasing the the dumb lug for a few days now, and he had kindly decided to make a beeline right through the badlands, leaving a nice, clear set of tracks behind for his pursuer.

Richter checked down the scope of his rifle for signs of movement. Bingo. He saw the hulking behemoth doubled over against a chimney vent, gasping for every breath. Richter dropped down low and lined up his shot. Get the knee, drop him nice and clean. He put his finger on the trigger and held his breath, then his target suddenly flickered out of existence. What the hell? The bounty hunter heard a click and a whir then he felt the cold steel of muzzle against the back of his skull. Dammit.

“So much as a twitch and I’ll paint the dirt with your gray bits.” a deep voice growled from behind him. The bounty hunter stayed perfectly still, he didn't doubt for a second the man meant business.

He had been careless, fell for a simple decoy, if he didn't know any better he’d say he was losing his edge. But, of course, he knew better.

“Get up, slowly. Face me.” the voice commanded. The Trog tore Richter’s hat off his buzzed head. "Richter Vaughan is that you? Abramov must be gettin' desperate to send trash like you after me.” The Troglodyte laughed, flashing him a cruel, toothy grin.

"Reckon so." Richter replied nonchalantly. He looked the beast in the eyes. "No one has to get hurt here today friend, what say you we just walk away, chalk this up to a misunderstanding?"

The Trog let out a howling laugh. "You think I was born just yesterday? I'd have a round right between my shoulder blades before I walked three paces. I oughta put a hole right between those pretty boy eyes just to shut you up." He pushed the barrel of the gun firmly between Richter's eyes.

"Now that's just not true, friend." Richter replied. The Trog's brow raised. "You're worth triple alive."

Before the Trog had a chance to react, Richter dropped to one knee and drew his knife. He plunged the serrated blade deep into the behemoth's calf, deep into the bone. The Trog howled in agony and dropped his pistol on the ground. Richter rolled between it's legs, grabbing the pistol as he went. He reappeared behind the Troglodyte, planting the barrel of the pistol at the base of it's neck.

"Quit while you're ahead friend, this don't end well for you." Richter said coldly to the beast of a man. The Trog roared and began to turn around.

A gunshot rang out across the Badlands. The Troglodyte fell in a heap on the ground. Richter sighed and wiped the gore off his duster. Stubborn a*****e. Richter went to retrieve his knife, only to find it broken at the hilt. The bounty hunter kicked the corpse in frustration, grabbed his rifle, and started dragging the fresh corpse back to his land cruiser. He was going to have to hurry if he was to get the body back to his ship before nightfall. He didn't want to be out here come nightfall.

Fashionable Browser

This was a very nice short read. I found no mistakes grammatical. I would have loved a bit more detail-really flesh out the thoughts running through the bounty hunters mind. However, for a quick short story it did have a good amount of description, especially of the surroundings. I think a name for the "Trog son of a b***h" would have helped the flow of the story with the interactions between the too.

Friendly Friend

Whispering Embers
This was a very nice short read. I found no mistakes grammatical. I would have loved a bit more detail-really flesh out the thoughts running through the bounty hunters mind. However, for a quick short story it did have a good amount of description, especially of the surroundings. I think a name for the "Trog son of a b***h" would have helped the flow of the story with the interactions between the too.

Hey! Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the feedback!

The plan was to write short stories from the perspective of different characters in the universe the story takes place in, having the characters all be interconnected in some way. Mr. Trog-son-of-a-b***h will definitely be receiving his own short. smile

Fashionable Browser

Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers

The plan was to write short stories from the perspective of different characters in the universe the story takes place in, having the characters all be interconnected in some way. Mr. Trog-son-of-a-b***h will definitely be receiving his own short. smile
No problem!
How else will a writer grow without feedback?

Would each piece continue the story?
Such as starts with the Mr. Trog-son-of-a-b***h arriving at the planet. Then one of the residents of the planet see both arrivals of trog and the bounty hunter, which then leads to this short story.

Or is it more like glimpses from different eyes?

Friendly Friend

Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers

No problem!

Such as starts with the Mr. Trog-son-of-a-b***h arriving at the planet. Then one of the residents of the planet see both arrivals of trog and the bounty hunter, which then leads to this short story.

I had planned on the series ending with all of the characters coming together in one final conflict. No good guys or bad guys, just people doing what they need to do to survive in a dangerous and hostile universe. With each person's story giving a little more insight into the universe at large.

I had considered showing how Mr. Trog became indebted to the crime family, what he did to earn the bounty on his head, I also really like the idea of a resident noticing two strange people heading out into the desert and going to investigate, getting caught up in the events as a result. smile

Not really sure where its all headed. But finding out is half the fun. biggrin

Fashionable Browser

Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers

No problem!

I had planned on the series ending with all of the characters coming together in one final conflict. No good guys or bad guys, just people doing what they need to do to survive in a dangerous and hostile universe. With each person's story giving a little more insight into the universe at large.

I had considered showing how Mr. Trog became indebted to the crime family, what he did to earn the bounty on his head, I also really like the idea of a resident noticing two strange people heading out into the desert and going to investigate, getting caught up in the events as a result. smile

That sounds interesting, because in real life people will do just about anything to survive. There is always that grey.

That would be interesting. What was so bad they hired "trash" to catch Mr. Trog? That poor poor resident-that would be fantastic. I can see humor being able to pulled out of that situation.

I agree!

Oh by the by, nice username and do you rp?

Friendly Friend

Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers

No problem!

That sounds interesting, because in real life people will do just about anything to survive. There is always that grey.

That would be interesting. What was so bad they hired "trash" to catch Mr. Trog? That poor poor resident-that would be fantastic. I can see humor being able to pulled out of that situation.

I agree!

Haha yeah, should be interesting. biggrin

I've never rp'd on a forum, but I play D&D 3.5e in a group with some buddies and GM a Dungeon World campaign for another group. I'm trying to get another group together to GM but scheduling is a nightmare. gonk I also played on a WoW RP server for a while, but had to kick that habit. lol

Fashionable Browser

Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers

No problem!

I agree!

I've never rp'd on a forum, but I play D&D 3.5e in a group with some buddies and GM a Dungeon World campaign for another group. I'm trying to get another group together to GM but scheduling is a nightmare. gonk I also played on a WoW RP server for a while, but had to kick that habit. lol
I play the D&D 3.5 with five other people (that includes the dm). There was six others, but one of them is moving emotion_8c
So what class and race are you?

Kick the habit? To much money or to time consuming?

You should try barton towns!
Sometimes you can find some really good rps
If your interested you could check out / join the one I'm in now
It's right here.
It just started and has quite the potential
Some really good rpers in there-I've rped with them before

Friendly Friend

Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers
No problem!

I agree!

I play the D&D 3.5 with five other people (that includes the dm). There was six others, but one of them is moving emotion_8c

It's right here.

Our DM just got back from the army so we've only had the group for 3.5 back together for a few months. I play a NG Dwarven Fighter named Bargrim at the moment. We're getting ready to start a new campaign later this month, we're bringing in a new player so we decided to start fresh so they have time to get the hang of things. I'll be playing a CN Human Bard named Ezra Keen once that rolls around.

I had to quit wow because it was consuming my life... I spent easily 8 hours a day online and I was playing casually. lol

I might just check out Barton! Might be interesting to try a new form of Rp. biggrin

Fashionable Browser

Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers
No problem!

I agree!

It's right here.

Our DM just got back from the army so we've only had the group for 3.5 back together for a few months. I play a NG Dwarven Fighter named Bargrim at the moment. We're getting ready to start a new campaign later this month, we're bringing in a new player so we decided to start fresh so they have time to get the hang of things. I'll be playing a CN Human Bard named Ezra Keen once that rolls around.

I had to quit wow because it was consuming my life... I spent easily 8 hours a day online and I was playing casually. lol

I might just check out Barton! Might be interesting to try a new form of Rp. biggrin
I play a ranger rouge half elf named Mephis and a bard half siren named Lanaeus. The way our campaign is set up, allows for up to characters for each person.
Since one of our people are leaving we made a logically reason in the story for why it happened. So we have the choice to continue on or start fresh. I'm not sure what the group will want to do, since one of characters leaving is our best tank. Our second strongest character is a glass cannon. We have a cleric but.....

Oh wow. That's crazy
What's considered hard core?

You should! Either you like it or you don't c:
If you have any question you could ask me if you want

Based on your writing style you would probably be excepted anywhere easily

Friendly Friend

Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers

I agree!

It's right here.

I play a ranger rouge half elf named Mephis and a bard half siren named Lanaeus. The way our campaign is set up, allows for up to characters for each person.
Since one of our people are leaving we made a logically reason in the story for why it happened. So we have the choice to continue on or start fresh. I'm not sure what the group will want to do, since one of characters leaving is our best tank. Our second strongest character is a glass cannon. We have a cleric but.....

Oh wow. That's crazy

We've never tried letting each player have more than one character. Might be an interesting experiment. smile

It's more how I spent my time, I never got into the raiding at end game, I spent most of my time dicking around making gold and leveling up alts.

Do you mind if I add you? only been back on Gaia a few days and it's nice to actually talk to someone outside of the usual CB madness.

Fashionable Browser

Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers
Power Hungry DM
Whispering Embers

I agree!

It's right here.

Oh wow. That's crazy

We've never tried letting each player have more than one character. Might be an interesting experiment. smile

It's more how I spent my time, I never got into the raiding at end game, I spent most of my time dicking around making gold and leveling up alts.

Do you mind if I add you? only been back on Gaia a few days and it's nice to actually talk to someone outside of the usual CB madness.
Definitely nice to be able to make characters who are complete opposites of themselves.

Ah. My sister is fairly in to WoW
I don't know how much time she spends there...

Go for it. Always nice to have conversation with meaning
Yes, CB can be chaos

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas