Welcome to Gaia! ::

what did u think?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on February 24, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.

Business Associate

I'm writing a satire in English too (although I haven't started it yet).

But about yours, it's not bad, I just don't like the way it's presented. It merely states many facts, which aren't exactly unpersuasive (is that a word?), they just don't demonstrate the idea very well. I don't know what your assignment was, but if you wrote it as a story it would show how having a cat makes more sense than having a kid, and would prove the point a lot better.
I saw a similar satire in the Washington Post's Metro section yesterday. surprised
I didn't come away from that with the sense that you were anti-abortion. It seems like you're more into animal rights, the way the last few sentences are worded.

I think the problem is...you shouldn't just come out and say things. You stated a long series of opinions that seemed to be about saving the cats that are dying out on the streets.

Satire is best when you only allude to what you want to say (I agree with Raelyn's story idea). Okay, what I'm trying to say is don't just write: "Save the cats" and expect people to understand that you mean the opposite: "Save the unborn children."

It's good...just needs a few tweaks. 3nodding
Quixotic Virtuoso
I saw a similar satire in the Washington Post's Metro section yesterday. surprised

really? wow thats weird, i wrote it on tuesday! lol
Wirenth
I didn't come away from that with the sense that you were anti-abortion. It seems like you're more into animal rights, the way the last few sentences are worded.

I think the problem is...you shouldn't just come out and say things. You stated a long series of opinions that seemed to be about saving the cats that are dying out on the streets.

Satire is best when you only allude to what you want to say (I agree with Raelyn's story idea). Okay, what I'm trying to say is don't just write: "Save the cats" and expect people to understand that you mean the opposite: "Save the unborn children."

It's good...just needs a few tweaks. 3nodding

ah yes i see what you mean. this was my first so there are many things i need ot work on!
have you read Swift's A Modest Proposal? its about eating your own kids so that you dont stave, it was written very seriously as if he would do too. so i htink thats what i was trying ot do.
but when you think about it, there are so many people who seem to think that way its crazy.... thanks for the tips, i ll try ot fix it!
I wrote a satire about Godzilla once, using something from my own stupidity about how I broke the dining room table. xd

The teacher loved it, and gave me an A- only because it was three days late. She almost had a laughing fit in her chair, and she was trying not to explode. Heh, heh, heh... Satires are great. Your's was good, too... It needed something, but I'm not sure what, exactly.
Um, cats don't learn to walk a few hours after birth. They spend weeks as these little hairless rat-things. They might wiggle a few inches but they area certainly not walking.
That's awesome. It sounds so professional. It's awesome.
Go with it! Yeah, I love writing satire too!

my new project: "Oh No! I guess i have a cult on my hands!" Its about a guy who starts a philosophy website that he thinks is becoming successful but it seems he get people a little too devoted to his half assed philosophy and it ends with a Waco type stand off.

Its a comedy!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces