Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Shapeshifter

So, in the story I want to write, the kingdom does not have a sun. It only has the moon and stars, which rise and set like normal.
So "daytime" in the kingdom is completely dark except for artificial light.

Basically I'm not sure if I should still have a "day" and a "night"? Could "day" be when the moon is up and "night" be when the moon sets?
Without a sun, the moon would not illuminate. A sun is required for a moon to reflect off light from it's surface.

This would mean that the world is completely dark. Without sunlight, which is an essential energy to most of life, the moon won't exist either because it would be invisible.

Other than twinkling stars, there wouldn't be any sufficient light unless, like you said, you have artificial light.

Kind of a conundrum you are dealing with in a world with no Sun unless the moon is filled with magic that gives off its glow. xD

Fantasy isn't required to follow laws...

Familiar Shapeshifter

Epic Myth

Gak...I didn't realize that until I read this reply. I totally knew about the moon doesn't illuminate without the sun, but I kind of blanked.
I guess I should be more specific?

The kingdom I want to write about was basically cursed so that the sun doesn't rise, but the moon still rises and sets like normal. So in different parts of the world, the sun is shining, but in that one kingdom it doesn't.
Such a curse would require to stop the world from revolving.

If that ever happened...the tides of the water would never change and places in the world would become desolate landscapes.

So...I recommend the spell puts a "veil" on the kingdom that covers their portion of the sky. When they leave, it's light again.

Perhaps after so many years and good use of magic, the Kingdom and the lands around it adapted by using other sources of light.

Like Gems or animals that glow on their own. Maybe light is perhaps the most important currency in this kingdom.

Perhaps the people drain it from each other like that movie with Justin Timberlake, time.

Interesting concept...lots to talk or use if you do it correctly.

Familiar Shapeshifter

Epic Myth

Wow...I really need to be more specific. I was thinking of a "veil" sort of thing in the first place, lol.
And I like the idea of light as a currency, thanks for your input! ^_^
The little details count a lot and no problem, I'm happy to help.

If you wish to return the favor, it would be cool if you scanned this current forum for my story.

Tumbleweed and leave a comment of your thoughts. =D

EDIT**

Better yet, here.

Dangerous Alchemist

8,675 Points
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
You could set it so that one side of the planet always faces away fr4om the sun, Like Remus is star Trek and our neighbor Uranus. This way the moon could still have light.

Didn't think about that one didja?
StarniteX
So, in the story I want to write, the kingdom does not have a sun. It only has the moon and stars, which rise and set like normal.

Basically I'm not sure if I should still have a "day" and a "night"? Could "day" be when the moon is up and "night" be when the moon sets?

How does one go about sustaining a kingdom's population without a sun? If there's no sun, there's no agriculture. Without plants, animals will starve. Without plants and animals, people will grow desperate for food and turn to cannibalism. This kingdom of yours would tear itself apart in a matter of weeks.
Usurper Of Thrones
StarniteX

How does one go about sustaining a kingdom's population without a sun? If there's no sun, there's no agriculture. Without plants, animals will starve. Without plants and animals, people will grow desperate for food and turn to cannibalism. This kingdom of yours would tear itself apart in a matter of weeks.

Right now. There's a creature under the deep blue sea where light cannot reach him surviving and living. Albeit, by a thermal vent probably.

It's not impossible and we should not question the logic of it and damn it to the farthest reaches of hell. But maybe give her ideas on improving her idea.

Magic works in strange ways. The Woo-Woo Art in any story is powerful if she can write it well.

And I'm sure she can.
Xel Tassadar
You could set it so that one side of the planet always faces away fr4om the sun, Like Remus is star Trek and our neighbor Uranus. This way the moon could still have light.

I did and I surmise that the side facing the sun will be a desolate desert.

But, since you reinforced the idea, I guess that would give them a reason to look to the moon as their almighty savior.

Which depends a lot on how she will write it.

Familiar Shapeshifter

Xel Tassadar

Wow, I kinda didn't even think of that, but I'll probably look into that a little more. Thanks Xel!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff