sassysweettpea's Significant Otter

Perfect Hero

19,825 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
"Perfect," hissed Neidr with a crooked grin as his narrowed eyes took in the destruction before him. "Beautiful," he sung, kicking at a charred, gasping corpse. A tail of ashes slivered behind the body as it rolled into a pile of blackened bricks and scorched timber. "A home, I hope." examining the debris with keen, searching eyes. "Is that a bed, I see? Wonderful!" Neidr clasped his hands together and let out a thankful sigh. "Brilliant work, old friend!" he called out to the heavens, his fingers curled around his mouth. "I love it!" He giggled and continued his stroll through his hometown. A chuckle slipped from his mouth whenever he saw a familiar sight lying in ruins. "The elder's shop, where they sold bread and candy?" The stench of burnt flesh and food snaked past his nose. "Ah, I knew it!"
His grin grew more twisted with every step. "The school!" he cheered, looking at a tower of rubble. "Was always cramped, can not begin to imagine how it feels now!" Neidr guffawed, spinning away from building. He paused and his smile faded. "Ah, my throne. Untouched, as he promised. I must see that he gets paid double for his excellent work." He looked over the house with cold, dark eyes. Blue and green tapestries sagged against the walls, their white, forked tips stilled. Not even the wind's melodies could persuade them to dance. mused Neidr, suppressing a chuckle. I must stay serious, this is my coronation after all. Neidr approached the shack and groped the door knob with both hands. He frowned as he shook it. "Locked out. How unwelcoming." He stepped back and lunged at the door with his foot. Shards of wood were sent scattering across the floor, fleeing from the invader. "It should have been mine." he growled, stomping into the building. He looked at the wall and saw the paintings of every village leader. Eyr, Lornse, Kiana, Crysn... He eyes halted at the last portrait. The smiling face of a young man greeted him. "Arfrel" he bellowed. "You damned, pitiful beast!" Neidr stalked towards the picture with wide eyes.
"This was supposed to be mine!" he screamed, crashing his fist into the paper face of Arfrel. "You... damn you!" When he withdrew his fist, the mangled picture remained on the wall, its smile distorted and changed into a warped grin. "All you do is smile!" screeched the man, slapping the picture off the wall. Neidr's boot fell upon the falling portrait and dashed it into the ground. He stepped back and grinned at the shredded face. "Where's your smile? Your grin? Hm?" he laughed, stepping on the painting again. "Where?" he cried, stomping repeatedly on it. "Where? Where? Where?! No, I don't care anymore!" He kicked the picture into the wall and stormed into the next room, passing bookshelves and framed treaties that tied the village to lesser kingdoms. "How noble." he growled, tearing every document off the wall as he walked. "I would have done more. If they had only picked me, this village would be a kingdom, not some pawn of one! I would have made it into something more! They missed out, oh, they made a terrible mistake!" He stopped at Arfrel's office, Neidr's throne room. It was empty, save for a desk that was flooded with papers and a gilded seat that overlooked it. "There it is..." He approached the table and picked up each paper, his eyes rapidly scanning the parchment before tossing it aside. "Lowered taxes? Selling land? Fool! He wasn't fit for this!" Neidr slammed a hand onto the counter and leaped back when it split before his fist. "No!" he shrieked as it crumbled, its legs squealing against the hard ground. "My throne...my...!" His eyes fell on the chair, its arms adorned with luxurious ribbons of every color while golden threads swirled and danced along its back. "The true throne." He grinned as he pushed the ruined desk aside. "I do not need it. A king only needs his seat." He threw his head back and moaned as he lowered himself onto the chair.
"I'm the king, Arfrel! Do you see it now? I was the only one fit for this! I am the king, you were only a jester who found a crown!" He closed his eyes and saw a kingdom. He saw himself seated in his throne chair on a raised dais. He could hear the laughter of his subjects waltz through his windows, and could see his radiant, smiling people. "Yes, this..." The foul smell of scorched flesh pierced through his fantasy and peeled open his eyes. "What..." Silence drowned out the laughter and empty walls fell between him and his people. "I'm alone." he realized, staring at the destroyed desk at his feet. "IT'S HIS FAULT." Neidr jumped from his chair so violently that it toppled over behind him. "He did this! Arfrel, you monster! You poisoned my throne and stole my crown!" he screamed, holding his head. "Damn you, damn you, damn you!" He felt his nails dig into his scalp and let out a yipe. "Stop it, Arfrel!" he pleaded, running out of the room. "Leave me be, you took all I have!" He stopped and stepped back with quivering legs. "You...!" The shredded lower half of Arfrel's portrait lied at the doorway, the tilted grin mocking him. "You're a monster! An animal! A fiend, a-!" The wooden splinters from the broken door bit through Neidr's boots. "Stop! Stop this!" he sobbed, charging out of the house and into the street.
Black towers of smoke greeted him.. "Must you always be higher than me?" He ran into the ebony pillar and cringed as the hot debris tore away his shoes and lacerated his feet. "I am king!" he roared as the smoke filled his eyes and lungs. "Damn you!" Neidr wheezed as tears fled his eyes. "Come down!" He clawed at the dark haze and lost his balance. He fell onto the scorching wood and cried out as the small flames lapped at his arms and face. "Arfrel, stop!" he begged. "I-" A cough shut his mouth. "You-!" He hacked and fell back onto the embers. "Please!" He vomited and felt his arms grow weak. "It's not fair!" The stench of seared flesh assailed his nose. "I can't die like them! Like you!" he lamented, trying to push himself away from the heat. His limbs shuddered and collapsed beneath him. "Help me!" The flames grasped his throat. "Please, someone! Save your king!" His throat constricted. I cannot die! I must rebuild, fix Arfrel's mistakes...! The blaze enveloped him and slowly devoured his hair. Charred, weak hands swatted at the flames nested on his scalp.I cannot wear a crown with such burns! Go! He paused as the fire snapped at his hand and pulled it back. My crown! I finally have it! A crown of flames, something Arfrel cannot have! "Ha! Hahaha!" Neidr's grin grew as his burnt skin peeled from his body. I see it. My inferno kingdom! I see it, I see my people, my castle! It's here, it's mine! All mine! He let out a final laugh before the flames strangled and swallowed him.