Welcome to Gaia! ::

My First and last day.

By:Alex Calzada

"Let's pray, that heaven on our side, through violence and horror, shall honor arise."

Date: Terran Calendar : August 24th , 9034.
Time: 21:00

" BORISLAV! FRONT AND CENTER !", yelled Sergeant Meck. I ran to him, my boots causing a splashing sound as I ran through the muddy forest floor to catch up with him, my breath causing steam to appear in the freezing night time air, the light from 3 Moons of Babel II the only thing illuminating the area through the forest.

"Sir!", I said as I came to Meck' side as the squad continued the trek through the dark forest.
"Quit with the humming right now before I shoot you in between the eyes and leave your corpse here in the middle of the goddamn forest!", "quietly yelled Meck, the folds of his double chin mashing together as he talked.

"Yes Sir." I said trying to hold back my disgust at the fat sergeant.

I slowed my pace and was patted on the back by a firm hand. "Screw him! He's mad because all that fat is probably the reason he got stuck with a bunch of conscripts," said Mokal one of my fellow squad mates in a hushed voice.

We were both fresh Galainian conscripts of the Regiments from the planet Gal. As part of the training for the new recruits hailing from Gal we all had to serve time in the conscript regiments before we could be recognized as full soldiers of the Manifest empire. We were given only the barest of equipment a piece of flak armor, and a Lasgun Model AKLG-43 produced from our planet.

"Yeah well won't have to deal with him much longer once where out of this ******** squad." I said to Mokal Snickering a little bit at the joke he made towards Meck.

As me, and Mokal kept moving foward, along with the other 12 members of the squad. I noticed a ominous red glow coming from the direction we were marching from around the trees. As we neared the edge of the forest the glow begin to increase in intensity, and Meck gave us the signal to halt and we all took positions behind the tree line. Peering from behind the tree's I was able to make out a trench line about 150 yards ahead of us beyond a field of tall grass, where alpha squad was suppose to rendezvous with us but I didn't make out any movement in the trench line. Meck got on his comm-piece and attempted reaching out to Alpha squad but to no reward.

"Where the hell is alph-" That was all I could hear from Meck as a explosion happened right in front of the tree line, and his face was cut off from the shrapnel.

Chaos ensured as the rest of the squad panicked from the lost of our leadership. What were we to do, we were only a whole bunch of green conscripts fresh out of training on our first assignment and the enemies mortar shells were still falling all around us chewing up the forest causing the trees to explode like fireworks. "RUN RUN FOR THE TRENCH LINE!!" Yelled Mokal someone Finally giving a order.

All 14 of us ran for the relative safety of the trench, as we emerged from the tree line 5 of the conscripts bought it from a single mortar shell that fell between them, as the rest of us kept running I was just ahead of Mokal right in the front of the remainder of our group .
I don't Remember much of what happened next , I only remember a Bright flash of light coming from behind me , A mortar shell that's what it must have been threw me into the air My body kicking as the feeling of the dirt underneath me disappeared, and I landed back on the ground a few seconds later in the crater of where a mortar must have hit. I was groggy it felt like I had just woken up from a long night of work at my old job when I was still a civilian on gal. I had to make sure everything was still there on my body. My hands I had to move those first I needed my hands to feel life , to feel the recoil of my weapon, to salute. they were still there every indivual finger still there nothing missing, nothing broken. My legs came next I needed the legs so I could march, so I could run, so I could walk home one day. They were there, sore but there.

"Sha-sh-shalom." I heard a weak voice calling my name from next to me. I turned my head, my neck sore from my rough landing. The Next thing I saw, is still burned into the very back of my mind. It was what was left of Mokal. Half of the skin of his face was missing, along with one eye, the only the thing remaining of him was the top part of his body, his legs were blown off, and blood was still pouring out of the wounds covering the bottom of my pants as the blood flowed over next to me , causing me to turn my head over the other way and puke out my guts at the sight of my friends state . "sha-sha-shalom ...... are, are you ok?", he asked, still concerned for me, despite his own injuries.

" Mokal .. your.. your...", I stuttered, this was my first time seeing not just a squad mate, but a friend as well slowly , and painfully die.

"It's alright...you got to keep moving, the trench is just right there....Shalom."Those were his last words He died right there laying next to me, my only friend in the squad, died right next to me. I laid there for a minute , my mind trying to process what just happened, But It was only a minute because that was all it took for the ringing in my ears to stop, and for me to realize the shelling from the mortars had finally stopped. I turned over on my belly and crawled up the hole doing my best to stay low to avoid detection from the Babylonian forces. About 300 yards away I could make out the enemies trench line from my position with a small scope I produced from my right shoulder pocket. They had it well armed, at least 5 MG's where stationed, but no sign of the mortar crews that were firing on us, they must have been firing from inside the trench itself, I could pick out the Babylonian rebels from my position, their Ashen gray skin almost blending into the back ground of the night, if it was not for the fire illuminating from the no man's land between the trenches I doubt I would have been able to pick them out.

There must have been at least a company sized force in that trench line, more than capable of killing a lone conscript like myself. But I was safe for now, in my little hole but I needed to get to that trench, and hope to Terra some friendly forces come by ,and save my sorry a**.
My mind was made up I need to get the hell out of that hole, away from the corpse of my friend to the safety of the trench line, and the possibility of a radio to signal for help. The count of 5 that's when I would do it, that's when all bets would be off, and I would run for the trench line.

1......This It was right over the edge of this hole.

2 .....I Have to get into that trench I have to get help.

3.....The rest of the squad died I have to survive.

4.....My only friend is laying dead right next to me.

5.....No turning back.

I was up in only a few seconds what happened next before my eyes was only a flurry of movements, I was sprinting as fast as I could for the Trench, the enemy didn't shoot at first they must have not have been able to believe that one conscript, one simple insignificant conscript survived the bombardment. I was almost there, the trench only a few feet away from me. Then suddenly I heard a rush of air go by my ear and almost instinctively the 8 weeks of training kicked in , and I hit the floor a rush of mud covering my face. Bullets went screaming right over my head, but I was in luck the sand bags above the trench were covering me. One final push and that would be it, I just needed to throw myself over the edge, and I would be good. With all my strength I did it I fell face first onto the duckboards of the trench . I shivered with relief, as the automatic fire continued over head ,and I turned over on my belly to see the bullets looking like beams of light as I gazed up to the sky.

"Hey ... that's my hat.", said a very congested voice from behind me. I stood up, and turned around dusting myself off. When I turned around I saw a young man about my age, with red hair and such a frail being that I thought the smallest gust of wind could have blown him away. But before I could play more on those thoughts I noticed he was holding a gun up to my head. "Give me the Hat right now." said the red headed man in a way a thief would tell you to hand over all the money in your purse , or wallet.

"Okay, okay we're on the same side." I said confused ,and scared at the odd situation. I slowly Took off my standard issue conscript cap ,and handed it to him not coming this far to die now. He snatched the cap right out of my hand and smiled at me placing it on his head hiding his red hair from my sight.

"ah much better I get a little insecure when I'm missing my hat." Said the man as he extended his hand offering his weapon to me.

"Names Cordwell Alpha Conscript squad!" Said the man introducing himself to me as I grabbed the weapon from him. It was lighter than my AKLG-43 , but it still had a rifle like shape which meant it must have been a AKLGc-32 , good for close to mid range engagements , but still packed the same punch as my original rifle before I lost it in the mortar bombardment.
"Nice to meet ehh you my name is Borislav." I said checking the power level of the clip in the rifle 3/4 full still a good 35 shots left. Looking at Cordwell I could tell right away he was not quite all there. the man kept on checking on his hat making sure it was still on his head as if it would suddenly fly away . He also had a very scared up face which told me he had to have had gone through some physical trauma before now , maybe even before basic .

"well Borislav I take it your squad ,you know the one got creamed ,were the reinforcements for us?" Said Cordwell as he moved a dead conscript off a box , and was working on opening the lid.
"Yeah.... we were ,I take it your all that is left of your squad?" I asked pulling out the hand held scope again to get a view of the enemies side.

"That would be righty right sir ." He said still messing with the crate.

When I peered through the scope to view the enemy encampment what I saw was a sight that made utterly no since to me . A grey ashen Figure Draped in a great coat - a symbol of leadership status in the Babylonian military- pointed in my direction, almost right at me ,and what I heard next caused me to literally void my bowels. It was a Mighty War cry followed by grey figures rise out of the trench ,almost like old cadavers covered in volcanic ash and they charged at our position a good 500 yards away , and I was wrong , the trench line must have gone underground because they were sending at least 2 companies worth of men at us. "US" only two goddamn conscripts worthless in the eyes of our own military . "CORDWELL WE GOT INCOMING!" I yelled at him as he appeared at my side on the firing steps.

"Well good thing I found this then!" He yelled in excitement as he set up a Mk-XI Inferno, a heavy MG firing incendiary slugs , a very impressive piece of weaponry produced on Gal , and only Gal. "Oh hell yeah!" I exclaimed as he pulled the hammer back and stepped back from that beautiful piece of destruction.

" Um Your trained in this right?" He asked me as he jumped down from the firing step." yeah I am , Listen We won't be able to hold them back for very long with only this do you have a radio here." I asked As I took aim with the gun setting up the stalk on my shoulder like my training told me to.

"Yeah we do!"

"Great signal for help from someone any one!."

"Ohh......yeah the radio got shot , I thought you meant if we just had a radio!."

There it was then No radio only a single HMG , and 3 boxes of ammo for it. Besides that I had a insane man obsessed with his head where from what I'd seen , armed with only a tiny Carbine , and bayonet......We were ******** ,screwed, and boned in every since of the word....but still I had to fight I couldn't accept this fate , I couldn't accept dying here in this god forsaken trench , I couldn't accept that I would die without Being able to avenge my brothers in arms, That fat a** sergeant or even my ******** friend. No ,No I would not die here I would become a fact of life for the enemy here this day I would fight to live for their inconvenience . " Cordwell do you Want to run !" I shouted to him as I picked out the closest target through the sight , This particular Inferno had a retina sight meaning the scope would adjust to my eye constantly scanning it to give me the best possible accuracy.

"Yes but what other choice do I got!' He joined me on the firing line right by my side. Time seemed to slow down for me , as i pulled the trigger, it was my first time firing my weapon at the enemy , Firing my weapon without being next to mokal in a firing lane. The first shot I fired nailed the Ashen skinned officer right in the head , and he exploded into a ball of fire , then the next target , and the next , and the next , and more ,and more they all died by my fiery metal hand my first taste of combat I had already lost so much , it felt good to make the enemy pay, to get vengeance for Mokal , and the rest of the squad who died . Cordwell next to me Had a insane look on his face as he picked out individual Targets himself , was that the look on my face I had right now was, that how I looked that , that look of missing humanity, and kindness.
It Didn't matter now what my face looked like the Ammo box Ran out and the enemy was right on top of us they couldn't be more than 100 yards away now. I wouldn't be able to reload the Inferno fast enough this was it I took out as many of them as I could , but no more this was the end.

" GET DOWN!!!!" Yelled Cordwell as he tackled me to the ground back first and what I saw caused my heart to skip a couple beat as a Shell went whizzing by right where I was standing firing the Inferno , almost touching the gun itself but if I was standing there I would have been all over the place by now. me and Cordwell rose up and what I saw caused me to smile like a kid on Manifest day all over again. 3 TEAI-55 tanks were moving up , followed by 4 SPG-32s where moving up firing off their mighty guns at the enemy , the shells flying over our heads like the Anglicans. I ,turned my head to the opposite direction the way of the enemy ,but I was met with a fist to the forehead and knocked down. Dazed and confused I tried reaching for the Carbine Cordwell had handed me but the Babylonian , scared , and covered in green blood jumped on top of me and brought a hatchet down right for my head I moved my head to the right fighting with him to get up but to no success . The Babylonian said something in its native language but I couldn't understand it I'm pretty sure it went along the lines of "Die you Terran piece of s**t." But before he could bring the hatchet down a shotgun blast rang out followed by the sound of a pump and knocked the hatchet out of his hand , and a second one right in his face knocked him off me covering me in green blood.

Cordwell stood over me ,and helped me up holding a pump action KASG-98. "now I trust you Borislav." He said offering me his hand meanwhile a gas masked figure from our side jumped down into the trench ."You two the only one left from the conscript squads?" He asked us and we both looked at each other then at the man.

"yes sir." I said for the both of us and the masked figure extended his hand.

"Men I can guarantee you you'll be made full soldiers." after this he said , and motioned for us to follow him to the Armor. As I stepped up ,and walked over to the Armor with Cordwell ,and the man I could now identify as a sergeant, I saw the body of Mokal.....He looked like he was at peace even, as if he knew I had survived. I stepped into that hole where what was left of him was laying and took off his dog tags. Forced myself to take one final look back after stepping up onto the SPG-32s crew platforms and we rolled past the trench that had represented sanctuary to me. I took one final look the field where my squad all laid dead.

I was all that was left of my squad . I Died back there in that trench. I died but I was also reborn in a baptism of fire. I was changed , I was now a soldier of the empire. A hero to those who I fight to protect , a weapon to those I serve. I will fight for those who stand next to me. I will fight for those conscripts who died here this day. I will fight for my friend who's last words were still concern for me. This new me Will fight to survive in every bitter war the empire sends me to.

But little did I know that losing my whole squad to a mortar bombardment, meeting an insane redheaded physco, and getting punched in the head by an ashen skinned xeno ........was not going to be the worst thing I ever encountered. And this was just the beginning of my long , and tiring career.

Feral Loiterer

eek

I can't read! There is a wall in the way! Where are the words?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff