Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mondays

The rain was falling hard and cold on this grey morning in Seattle, as Tyler stood atop the roof of a hotel building at least 14 stories. The cold rain drenched his hair and clothes as he stood at the ledge of the roof, but an inch from death. "Is this what it's come too?" he said aloud to himself, "Standing in the rain without a penny to my name? Why did it all happen this way?" 
     He looked over the ledge and saw the vehicles down below, the busy Seattle sidewalks were filled with the patter of people on their way to do nothing important with there lives. "This world, why do we do the things we do? What's the point? We make millions of dollars, and the we die. We help anyone that needs us, and we die. We never do a Single selfish act or immoral deed, and we still die in the end. Why should I continue with these mundane tasks if it won't pay off in the end? If my life is already preset, why should I even try to change it?"
     Tyler took a step forward, the toes of his black dress shoes touching nothing but air. "I've worked hard all my life, helping those around me, doing what I'm told, and I still get left behind in life" He closed his eyes, his heart racing and his spine tingling. "Pushed around by my boss, my friends constantly making fun of me, my parents preferring to have had a daughter instead. At least now, I won't make anyone angry."
     Tyler took a deep breathe and took one last step forward, hands behind his back and his eyes still clenched shut. The world slowed and his mind began to flash everything he's lived through, in front of his eyes. The sound of the world began to fad out as Past sounds and visions began to flow into his eyes and ears.
     It's Tyler's 11th birthday, and he's surrounded by his family and friends. His mother, long brown hair and caring eyes, a warm smile and a heartfelt laugh. His father, stern faced but smiling, his eyes fixed on the cake, slightly over weight. His best friend Stan, shirt red hair, laughing and smiling with Tyler. And all of the other children gathering around Tyler and his cake, all singing to him. As the  singing ends, Tyler takes a deep breath in and blows out the candles. 
     It's time to unwrap his presents and his mother wheels out a cherry red bicycle, so new that Tyler sees the reflection of all of his friends starring in awe at the bike. Tyler's never had a bike before this day and he can't believe that he finally has one. His eyes begin to swell with tears and he cannot stop smiling, his friends all smiling and patting his back.
     It's Tyler's Sophomore year in high school, he rides his old red bike a mile to school everyday. He goes to his locker to get his books and Stan walks up with his group of friends, kicking the locker door closed. "Stop that!" Tyler would say. "C'Mon man, you know I'm just playing around" said Stan with a feint grin, his friends standing behind him chuckling to themselves. "Sure, it just gets old" Tyler says as he re-opens his locker. 
     It's lunch and everyone goes outside to eat and socialize, Tyler bring his sack lunch to a tall old tree in a field on campus. He always eats alone since Stan hangs out with his friends and causes trouble. Just then, Stan's friends walk up from Tyler's left, they come up close to him, seeming to circle him. One of them knocks the bag out of Tyler's hand as the other laugh, Tyler tries to pick it up but is then shoved back to the tree. One of the other guys kicks him in the stomach, they're all laughing "Freak!" and "Get some friends, loser!"
     They group walks away, Tyler now quietly crying on the ground. His stomach in pain and his lunch ruined, he wondered why this happened. School is over and Tyler walks towards his bike, he noticed the reflector was broken. The tires were flat and he handle bars were bent, in the distance he saw Stan and his group of friends laughing. Tyler picked up his bike and began walking home.
     His 19th birthday, his parents are yelling at him, screaming about why he hasn't moved out yet. His parents always thought boys were irresponsible and immature, thinking that was the reason for him not moving, they always complained that they'd rather have a girl. A few months later, Tyler was kicked out of his home. He walked the streets with a suitcase of clothes, begging for money from passing cars and joggers. He walked by Stan's house, his old friend had been killed when his gang got into a shooting. The house was dark and empty, like no on had ever lived there. Tyler kept walking until he got to a house owned by his friend Sean. Sean gladly let him in, he was always happy to help a friend out. For the next few months, Tyler searched for a job while being supported by Sean. Buying him food and clothing all the while, Sean tried his hardest to make life easy for Tyler. 
     Two months later, Tyler got a secure job in a cubical at a bank. He earned a steady paycheck and help Sean pay his bills and tried to pay Sean back for all the months of support but Sean wouldn't accept it, he felt that the gesture was good enough for him.
     The two lived together for years, Tyler's boss always under paid him and made him work late on the weekends though. He always yelled at him for no apparent reason and occasionally stole Tyler's things just so he could yell at him some more. Up until Tyler was about 24, everything was going great. But one day Sean began to get ill, he started coughing a lot but the two figured it was just a cold. A couple weeks passed and the two believed it to be a bad cold, until one day Sean had a coughing fit and realized there was blood on his hand.
     Sean was hospitalized and diagnosed with terminal cancer, Tyler visited everyday to keep his spirits up. "You'll beat this, man" Tyler would say, and Sean would always reply with a smile and a "Sure I will." Tyler worked for months, harder than he ever had before, making more and more money to pay for Sean's medical bills. Sean began to say he was starting to feel better, though his skin was sill just as white. 3 months later, Tyler was in Sean's hospital room talking to him about his incredible recovery. Sean said "They say this will end tomorrow, I'm going to be back to normal" with a big smile on his mouth. 
     Tyler came to the hospital the next day with balloons and candy to celebrate Sean's release day. Tyler walked into what seemed to be an empty room, confused but happy, he walked to the front desk to ask where his friend had gone to celebrate. "What's your friends name?" the help attendant asked. Tyler replied "Oh Sean Williams" with a smile. The attendant clicked a few keys on the computer and waited a second before turning back to Tyler. She looked at him with displeasure on her face and spoke softly"Umm, I'm not sure how to say this. But your friend passed on early this morning. I'm so sorry"
     "He said he'd be back to how he use to be!" Tyler yelled "He said it would finally end... it would end..." A tear fell from his eye, "He knew" Tyler spoke, voice trembling. He had just lost his best friend and the last person on Earth you cared for him. Tyler left the building, crying. He returned to Sean's house, empty and quiet. 
     Over the years, Tyler's career began to go downhill and was eventually fired for refusing to show up on time. His best friend was dead, his family rejected him, his boss hated him, and the world shunned him. Tyler felt as though the world was constantly glaring down on him with demise, like society gave up on him and there was nothing he could do. He spent the last few days of his life hitching rides on trains, wondering from town to town, looking for a single person to shine a kindly deed on him. Not a single person he ran into gave him the slightest help or hope, they all teased him. Yelling names like "Freak!" and "God damn bum!", the people couldn't tell through all of the dirt on his face, but Tyler was tired. Tired of the world, tired of the pain, tired of the people, and sad. Sad that the one thing he tried to help was now mocking him for being alive.
     A few weeks had passed Tyler had made about sixty seven dollars by begging, although most people either ignored him or threw rocks. He began walking down the sidewalk on his way to a hotel, planing to stay the night there and try one last time to turn his life around, which is hard to do at the age of 42. While on his way, he saw a small boy, couldn't be any more than 8 years old. He had messy blonde hair down to his ears and wore blue jeans and a grey long-sleeved undershirts underneath a stripped, brown and yellow T-shirt. 
     The boy was standing near a fire hydrant near the side of the road, he didn't seem to have much to him. No toys, no shoes, no dog, not even a backpack of clothes, but the boy still looked up at Tyler with the most surprising of all expressions. The boy was smiling at Tyler, not laughing or mocking him, but smiling through happiness. The sun shown down on Tyler's face, warming his left cheek. In that instant, Tyler realized something, the world was not all bad. Time may break some people and turn them sour, but it also makes innocents and kindness. 
     The boys warm smile spread to Tyler like wildfire and Tyler began to smile, until the boys mother walked out of a nearby jewelry store. She was dressed in a black, sparkly dress and high heels, wearing dangly, diamond eating that shown through her long yellow hair. She picked up the boy, saying "Come with me honey, you shouldn't talk to old, gross people. They're nothing but bad news." with a frown on her face, she walked away with her son.
     Tyler continued walking until he got into the hotel, he rented out a room and immediately took a shower. As he exited the shower, he noticed a suit laying out on his bed. It had a not attached to it that read "Here, we like to keep a certain clientele. So please, do where these complementary dress shoes, jacket, pants and shirt." Tyler slipped into the clothes, frowning as a thought popped into his mind. "Even here at nothing more than a hotel, there are still such high standards of vanity. The world is so obsessed with it's looks and money, why doesn't kindness and generosity mean anything anymore?" He said out loud to the hotel room walls "There's just no point in trying, I guess.."
     Tyler slept in his suit that night, it felt good to have new clothes on. He awoke at about 7a.m to the sound of rain outside. Tyler sat up and stared out of the window, "Seattle... such a sad city. Not a single person who cares to help one another. But I guess that's just the world now.." Tyler thought to himself, "I wonder if anyone would care if I..." Tyler walked out side if his room and took the elevator up to the roof, all the way thinking about how he's been mistreated throughout his entire life.
     And so here we are, falling off of the building as the rain dances next to his face, falling at the same speed as the rain. Tyler slowly opened his eyes, now merely twenty feet off the ground. The world was still moving slowly to him but was slalom speeding up. As he saw the concrete begin to creep closer, he felt the rain stop and the sun begin to shine through the clouds in the dark Seattle sky. The sun warmed his face like before and he thought back to the boy he saw on the street. "I guess the world isn't all that bad" he thought to himself as a smile spread across his face. "Maybe there's still some kind hearts left out there, willing to help those around them." 
     Tyler closed his eyes once more, feeling warm on the inside of his body for the first time in a ling time. The smile stayed on his lips for his final seconds of free fall. As he hit the ground, the street and building were painted with the warmth that Tyler had felt in his last seconds. 
     Twenty years have passed now, and the world still goes along just the same. People still just as selfish, and the world still hateful. But some people still seem to spread love, the boy from Tyler's last twenty four hours of life is now twenty eight years old and spreads his love to the world however he can. He writes music and shares his kindness with all of those who are willing to accept it. His happiness has spread to many people and is slowly making the world a little better everyday. It doesn't take much to cause happiness and joy to spread to another person, sometimes it just takes a smile.

Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
I really, really like this. The flashback was really cool, and I love how it tied into his sadness and the vanity of how the world is. People who have ever felt alone before can really relate.
Gabbineer
I really, really like this. The flashback was really cool, and I love how it tied into his sadness and the vanity of how the world is. People who have ever felt alone before can really relate.

Thank you so much, I deeply appreciate the comment ^_^
It lightens my heart to know that there are still nice people in the world.
smile

Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
Ellio Grizzle
Gabbineer

Thank you so much, I deeply appreciate the comment ^_^
It lightens my heart to know that there are still nice people in the world.
smile

heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas