sassysweettpea's Significant Otter

Perfect Hero

19,825 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
"Today we welcome a new Burned One into our world," announced Olune, raising her hands towards the glass ceiling. The dyed light bathed her hands crimson, and Belyl felt a shiver sliver up her spine at the sight. Olune caught the girl's worried look and gave her a sweet smile. "Please, have no fear. Come and speak."
Belyl blushed and gave a curt nod before joining her leader up on the wooden stage. A stand carved from stone sat at its edge, always looking as if it were about to fall. Olune's stepped back from it to make room for Belyl. Her wide eyes took in the crowd sitting below her, their own eyes calm and uninterested. They watched her as if she were not a human, but a piece of furniture that the leader had purchased and was now showing off to them. She gave them all a smile and saw a few turn their heads away. What did I do? Belyl cleared her throat and grasped the stone pedestal with trembling hands. "Hello." she chirped, her eyes falling to the cold podium. "I...I am Belyl Li Wikeln." She saw a man raise an eyebrow. Does he know me? Or is my name just uncommon? "I am new to this organization-"
"This world, dear. We are a new world." corrected Olune patiently from behind.
"This world..." she choked, her face redder than the stained glass that towered above her and her audience. "I am new to this world, but I hope that I will not be a bother. I..." Her voice trailed off. They don't want my story. She shook her head slowly. "Thank you very much for welcoming me." She stepped back from the rostrum and was replaced by Olune.
"A clap would be nice." she laughed, raising her arms and clapping. Her loose sleeves flapped every time her hands met. The small audience reluctantly joined, but only for a moment. Their applause ended with a hard knock from the entrance. Belyl narrowed her eyes as she tried to peer through the curtain of shadows that hung over the two, towering doors. "Who is our visitor?" called out Olune with a sly grin stretched across her lips. Another knock answered her. "Who is our visitor?" she repeated, backing away from the stand and descending the stairs the led off the stage.
Who could it be? Belyl knew no one in the room, save for Olune, but she was told that this was the entirety of the organization, that all members were present.
Another loud thump resonated from the door. "I would like a name, if you have one." said Olune harshly, approaching the noise.
"It's me, damn it. Why do you lock these things?" roared the doors angrily.
"My dear, you should have a key!" chuckled Olune, pulling a small, silver key out from her hair. Belyl wondered what else she hid in it. She jabbed the key into the shadows and the doors creaked as they opened, their sharp cries making Belyl more uncomfortable the stares of her audience.
"Lost it." snapped a man as he stomped in. He looks old..like Olune. Belyl could see sagged skin and deep wrinkles, even though half of his body was draped in shadows. "What are you doing?"
"We are letting someone join our world."
"Our group," hissed the elderly man, hobbling past her. Belyl could hear the light tapping of a cane with every step. "A girl?" He spoke the word as if it were a curse.
"We have plenty of girls."
"Too many girls," grumbled the old man, smacking the ground with his cane. "Too many people too."
"The more, the merrier, dear." sighed Olune, rushing past the man. She returned to the dais and gave Belyl another smile. "We welcome you." she urged, glancing back at the old man. "Tricin is just shy."
The man frowned and spat on the floor.
"Very shy." she muttered with a disgusted groan. "Well, meeting dismissed, I hope you all help Belyl out until she's use to things."
The crowd muttered a messy agreement, and shuffled out of the room, their voices low with chatter. Are they talking about me? One laughed and she blushed again. They're talking about me! About how silly I looked! she lamented silently, looking away.
"Feeling alright, dear?" wondered Olune.
"Huh- Oh, yes. Yes, I'm fine. May I go to my room?"
"You may. A crude drawing of a purple hand will be emblazoned upon your door. And it'll be on your left! You can't miss it."
A purple hand? Belyl wanted to question her about it, but found that her words wouldn't come out, frozen by Tricin's icy glare. "Thank you." she whispered, spinning away from her elderly leader and walked along to walls as to not get too close to the old man. She stole a glance at him and saw that he was still watching her with cold eyes. I think I have an enemy.
"Oh and Miss Belyl!" cried Olune as the girl was about to leave. "You are Burned. Have more confidence, dear."
"T-Thank you!" gasped Belyl as she left the room, closing the two, tall doors behind her.

To be continued