Welcome to Gaia! ::

2,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
I have not written anything in a very very long time and I am even worse now than I was then. The following poem is essentially a throw-away poem but I would really like to work it into something decent-ish just to get back into the swing of things. Please, please give me some constructive criticism. I want to write again but I'm having trouble writing anything at all. I'm really hoping working through something will help with that. Thanks! (I hope i did the subject right... I don't see a lot of NC, CW, CE in the forum...)

Like the sickly sweet choking smell of rotting
fruit hidden away at the bottom of a basket,
he often suspected that he was selfish.
Like a blackening apple, covered in fruit flies,
in plain view on the table,
he sometimes knew that he was selfish.
He told himself that wishing he was dead
and his wife alive was kind good selfless loving--
that was the hidden apple.
He knew that really he wanted
to be the one that didn't have to feel
grief and pain and life alone.
He did not want
to die, though, and that
was the shiny new apple
still in the plastic grocery store bag.
Tangerine Sorbet
I have not written anything in a very very long time and I am even worse now than I was then. The following poem is essentially a throw-away poem but I would really like to work it into something decent-ish just to get back into the swing of things. Please, please give me some constructive criticism. I want to write again but I'm having trouble writing anything at all. I'm really hoping working through something will help with that. Thanks! (I hope i did the subject right... I don't see a lot of NC, CW, CE in the forum...)

Like the sickly sweet choking smell of rotting
fruit hidden away at the bottom of a basket,
he often suspected that he was selfish. i really want to like this as an opening line, but something about it seems a bit clunky. i think there are either too many syllables, or it should be a more simply worded metaphor.
Like a blackening apple, comma is probably unnecessary covered in fruit flies,
in plain view on the table,
he sometimes knew that he was selfish.
He told himself that wishing he was dead
and his wife alive was kind good selfless loving-- there is missing punctuation here depending on what you are trying to communicate
that was the hidden apple.
He knew that really he wanted
to be the one that didn't have to feel
grief and pain and life alone. maybe cut from "grief" to "life" and instead have it be "this". it's still a bit of a cliche, but it is much less so than previously.
He did not want
to die, though, and that
was the shiny new apple
still in the plastic grocery store bag.cut "plastic" and "store". too many syllables for not enough payoff.

i'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here in this poem. i like the image of the apples equating to selfishness and suicidal ideation, but i think there needs to be more of a connect between the two and why it matters. what grief/pain/loneliness is he experiencing? if it's that the wife died and he's struggling with survivor's guilt, that needs to be made more clear, and should probably be the focus of the piece itself, rather than just the metaphor of the apple. good start though (:

2,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
Wow! That was fast! Thank you!

To be honest, the intention of the poem was pretty hazy to me when I started. I just kind of had a general image/feeling I wanted to convey. I will definitely flesh out what I want to accomplish before I make any major edits.

Thank you for the line edits. Those are very helpful!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff