Welcome to Gaia! ::

As someone who writes more than Superman, only with corpses and dry-rotted circuit boards spilling out from phone booths, about the most stringent and despicable challenge I can create for myself is to write about good things. The rules for this are simple: Just pick out a piece of land for yourself and attach an ideal to it (possibly metaphorical, preferably try to dig at something you do believe in or could believe in). No "Hills of Breasts That Can Only Do Good" either, unless you plan on exploring health check-ups at an expert level. Don't take the easy way out. Try to challenge yourself with unexpected climates, like "The Taiga (of Charity, of Soup Kitchens, etc.)"

We'll do good things for now but get creepy again later. I promise.

Here's my attempt (and yes I know the imagery is not developed to the max--making this an opportune area for you to best the prompt-creator!):

Student Meadow is
where inquiries go to relax;
where love grows if you just ask.
There boys and girls talk on their feet
without the bite of last year's straw.

"It's all right to be toga-derived."
say the field mice
to their full-bow fingers,
always ancient
though quite short-lived.

(Like) unused fences shape the breeze
around offered pens;
to refer, but not with writing ends.
Youths lean and sketch their humble
speeches, all blinks and hurt lips--
in the side mirror
of an enthusiast's rusted hunch.
Deceased older brothers and sisters
multiplied by this
lanky tribute of being.

Aekea Scarface

[I'll just write on the spot because I'm too lazy to plan.]

Ideas:
-Tundra of Warm, Friendly, Fuzzy Velociraptors-
-The Grand, Magically Delicious Canyon-

-Swamp-

Unity between
earth and water --
all crude imperfections
and wondrous marvels
mixing together...
Majestic birds seem to invite
our world into their world
as they stretch out their wings
like a warm embrace.
With them we are free
to soar into the sunlit branches
of the cypress or dive
deeper into Spanish moss,
perfectly encapsulating
all the ripples of air.

As softly as an afternoon rain,
the moss brings us down
and introduces our toes
to the slimy ground.
The mud slithers in and out
and cushions our feet --
our inhibitions sinking
further and further.
Soon, we are swimming
in a sea of tarnished emeralds.

The water mimics the sky.
We glide around cypress
knees as alligators snake
past us, creating ripples
that echo the moss.
The grass envelopes
and swims alongside us,
easing a path back
to the majestic bird --
perched on a wooden throne
with wings wide open.

Our worries were emptied
into the swamp, and we swam
like kings through them all.
The Landfills of Superstition

We make one last pilgrimage;
across the burning coal deposits
where the vultures shift their feet uncomfortably
as they try to pry the melted snakes and rats
from the boiling slabs;
around the humming Oracle,
in a wide swath, to avoid the magnetic headaches
and the electric whir
of the server fields and cloud generators;
through the foggy moors of music
and the holograms of the famous dead,
to the hills and hills of torn scrolls
and books bound in a leather of human skin.
Women in smoky veils weep
and claw at the chain link fence,
hang from it, writhing and screaming.
Their long gowns trail in the dirt.
I cut a lock of my hair
and tie it to the fence. My father
takes the silver bowl that we have taken turns
shitting in, and throws it, with a solemn breath,
over the fence. I make eye contact with
no one as I laugh the appropriate laugh
and we turn to go.
Most excellent; I can already see the prompt taking your writing in an unusual direction DCB; and do we have a new-comer following in the second act? *Lights up the OP/L jumper cables* I can feel it already, we are doing more than just the simple "Naturalist" poetry-- even though we might ladle from that source! twisted

7,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I can't say this is a spectacular piece in any shape or form, but I did put in a substantial amount of effort while sipping my morning coffee, which, if all else fails, should count for something. My landscape of choice was a ruined prairie-land.

Packed-up for a no-return
Eldest son has a picture of a tree in his
breast pocket; the only facial feature
worth recalling of their prior home.
Snowballed birches, knickers, crowbars for
occasional stand-alone doors between
here and the other side of the country
between here and all the wine-glasses
dad will wrench from his children's dry fingers.

Tongues hang out of their luggage bags,
lolling, more poetic than chat-speak
With drawn-out breathing,
the wife pins a daisy to her clavicle,
the man glances, sparing from his Dust Bowl larynx
a compliment, lizard-bones clattering from his gums
remnants of yesterday's reptile repas
the last supper, before their six children
were blown away, parachuted by pig-tail
-bridled Dust Devils
into an afterlife better than this one.
"We're proud parents, but damn, we're sad as hell."

At many towns they could have fended off the ghosts,
holed up in there and made a life on borrowed time
and rented picket fences dyed beige from the sandstorms
but that would not have been living. There is a stake
flashing green-lit in the distance, across
an emptied and evaporated bay. There, you do not owe
the growth of your fingernails
to higher forces
and do not pay for the privilege of
starving.

With a passing glance at her chest, the wife realizes
the daisy had mounted a train-station platform to better places
the wind had with it, taken her clavicle. Appearing miserable,
she wrinkles her face with her hands, to hide, un-ironed, in a state
of sand and old age, the fact that she'd been dropping bones.
Her husband whispers hoarsely from the corners of thin lips:
"I still like you." and dust spills from between his teeth.

There is a great emptiness that
in its open-booked vastness
flicks with a curled thumb and index finger
black ants off a picnic table.

Before bed, sipping broth from scavenged scapulae
The grass throatily complains, defeated all around them.
They clutch one another's rib-cages on communed warmth
abstain from ever voting
and thank god anyway.

7,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Power Armor Felix
Most excellent; I can already see the prompt taking your writing in an unusual direction DCB; and do we have a new-comer following in the second act? *Lights up the OP/L jumper cables* I can feel it already, we are doing more than just the simple "Naturalist" poetry-- even though we might ladle from that source! twisted

Felix! The sight of you on a Gaia forum has lassoed me by the much-overdue Xmas candy-cane socks and dragged me from the woods of reclusiveness into human society once more. The world has gotten harsher since last I've been. I am ecstatic to see you.

Mind sharing your thoughts on my piece?

7,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Restraining Order Blues
The Landfills of Superstition

I am, in fact, in love with this piece. So much so that I feel as if I should have been the one who'd written it. From a closet Narcissist such as myself, that is the highest form of flattery anyone could possibly have to offer. I tip my hat to you, miss.

I am fairly certain I'll revisit this poem for a more appropriate bucketful of praise-daisies, but for now, I'll just sprinkle you with a couple compliments. Your repetition of "the fence" is incredibly well-played, and adds a dash of cynical humor to your already maliciously ironic ending. The first mention of the fence starts up dark and mysterious, with the women clinging and wailing, the second mention is on a similarly somber note, with a hint of lock-of-hair poetic nostalgia incorporated, and then the third one is purely comical. By repeating "the fence", it's as if you're literally saying "Yeah. That same fence you just took so seriously". It is like a spit to my face. I love it.
well thanks! whee
Sod House of Noumena

The organic order has literalized itself
in the construction of a sod house.
There is no patina and the green walls
have no symbolic significance.
Cut into a hill, absence is the artifice,
presence a proliferation of roots,
worms, dirt, stones, mycobiota, bread,
a commingling of sweat and dew,
there being nothing there but being.
The ideal of the sod house collapses
with this and other earnest articulations.
Holy crap, this is an awesome challenge! Does anyone know the proper metre for a poem about the Cliffs (or possibly Delta) of Caritas?
fuitilium
Holy crap, this is an awesome challenge! Does anyone know the proper metre for a poem about the Cliffs (or possibly Delta) of Caritas?

Hmm, a meter for the yearly laying down of soil at the river delta? Perhaps start out with simple iambs or trochees and then add a variable foot at the beginning of later lines. Or two variable feet even.
To ask for my thoughts is to sacrifice yourself to the volcano! pirate

Wounded Huntress
I can't say this is a spectacular piece in any shape or form, but I did put in a substantial amount of effort while sipping my morning coffee, which, if all else fails, should count for something. My landscape of choice was a ruined prairie-land.

Packed-up for a no-return
Eldest son has a picture of a tree in his
breast pocket; the only facial feature
worth recalling of their prior home.
Snowballed birches, knickers, crowbars for
occasional stand-alone doors between
here and the other side of the country
between here and all the wine-glasses
dad will wrench from his children's dry fingers.

>> Okay, whether correct or not, the images I receive from some of these passages would seem to signify the keepers. Somebody having a tree growing out of their face and pelting a pair of pantyhose with snowballs are all activities I can groove on. Were you poking fun at Robert Frost with the mention of birches? biggrin

>> WHY ARE "STAND-ALONE DOORS" LOCATED IN THE MIDDLE OF A LINE? HOW CAN YOU PUT THEM BETWEEN THINGS. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO VISUALIZE THIS, I HAVE TO SCHEDULE A DENTIST APPOINTMENT TO DO SO. (The rest of the house should be fallen down, if the door is free-standing-- YES, IF I WERE TO LIVE IN A WORLD OF FREE-STANDING METAPHOR PICTURE DOORS I WOULD MENTION THAT THE POLICE KICK HOUSES DOWN)

>> You know you could say "occasional stand-alone crowbar" to help distinguish it in your list structure. You see, I'm already imposing my will upon it by making it singular and leaning it against a haybale cube.

>> I'm not sure yet at this time why the children represent prohibition. Interesting concept though. Nor am I aware of the engine that wine-glasses would be screwed into using wrenches. HOPE YOU WEREN'T EXPECTING ME TO PLAY FAIR ON THIS CRITIQUE XDDD

Tongues hang out of their luggage bags,
lolling, more poetic than chat-speak
With drawn-out breathing,
the wife pins a daisy to her clavicle,
the man glances, sparing from his Dust Bowl larynx
a compliment, lizard-bones clattering from his gums
remnants of yesterday's reptile repas
the last supper, before their six children
were blown away, parachuted by pig-tail
-bridled Dust Devils
into an afterlife better than this one.
"We're proud parents, but damn, we're sad as hell."

>> "Tongues hang out of their luggage bags" is such a Felix-ism that it can only be marked with a red bow-tie of pride. They're like kittens with little eyes and noses, yar? Possibly an extreme case of personification, a mega-animalification.

>> I'm glad you read lol as loll and not l.o.l. for it signifies your connection with the older generation. Though haven't you set up a straw man here? Anything should be more poetic than chatspeak. Even lazy cartoon tongues suffering from asthma.

>> "the wife pins a daisy to her clavicle" -> Conjuring a Tim Burton vibe here.

>> "the man glances, sparing from his Dust Bowl larynx" -> I dunno about these "double-verb" effects you are going for; it seems like the uncertainty weakens the line. The word-proximity is strange to me as well-- if using a structure like this I would tend to park the gerund at the end of a line or at the beginning of a new line. The middle tends to be the weakest area to place a thought, though possibly a caesura priestess could instruct it to the ways of fertility.

>> "parachuted by pig-tail-bridled Dust Devils" -> I kid you not, this imagery and its surrounding support section is perhaps the Hitler-master of the entire poem. Sometimes I've seen you pull the alliteration card just for funsies, but here it's damn form functional.

At many towns they could have fended off the ghosts,
holed up in there and made a life on borrowed time
and rented picket fences dyed beige from the sandstorms
but that would not have been living. There is a stake
flashing green-lit in the distance, across
an emptied and evaporated bay. There, you do not owe
the growth of your fingernails
to higher forces
and do not pay for the privilege of
starving.

>> "could have fended off" -> I gotta wonder if you pulled out some obscure past tense subdivision from the dank depths of a grammar text just to stump me on whether or not it is a legal construction. Fortunately I can sidestep into a glimmery poetry world and quickly identify "could have's" and "would not's" as musical diseases. Don't get me wrong, the content here is excellent; but the structure is so prose-sentencefied it comes across like a wet towel you'd never be able to twist and snap someone's butt with. There's no *bounce*, and lacking that quality I feel it would be a disservice to call it a stanza. The good news is that you can give it a musical injection with a little bit of effort. And by all means do something about the following breaks:

-> There is a stake
-> There, you do not owe

>> These are about the most notorious, mainstream, modern-poe sadmen you can deploy. "stake" and "owe" are given all the emphasis of a Big Beautiful Woman wearing a mid-drift too-small-shirt. There's a sense of hold-your-breath, here's a forced meaning attachment, exhale. You don't want these critters sticking out like that, trust me on this.

Oh, and if you ever see me writing like this, make sure you get the jar of necrotized-flesh-eating ladybugs out of storage blaugh

>> Another possibly with stake would be to use a short line enjambment, like so:

"a stake
flashing green-lit
in the distance,
across from
an evaporated bay."

At least this way you gain a sense of structural isolation with brief flashes. If you can't show it without saying it, at the very least get your content lined up with the frame.

With a passing glance at her chest, the wife realizes
the daisy had mounted a train-station platform to better places
the wind had with it, taken her clavicle. Appearing miserable,
she wrinkles her face with her hands, to hide, un-ironed, in a state
of sand and old age, the fact that she'd been dropping bones.
Her husband whispers hoarsely from the corners of thin lips:
"I still like you." and dust spills from between his teeth.

>> I like this stanza for its sturdy development of the narrative; at first I didn't know what was up with your clavicle-obsession but here it is revealed to be quite the sorrowful transitional event. It brings to mind a poem I did a while back where I died among cornhusk curtains and flower-print pillows (Or something crazy like that, possibly influenced by a Grateful Dead poster).

There is a great emptiness that
in its open-booked vastness
flicks with a curled thumb and index finger
black ants off a picnic table.

>> Why the t-alliteration in the first line, are you trying to conjure Freddy for my nightmares? "There" and "that" have no place alongside a stophat which is tophated; do not deny your destiny...

>> Ah, these four lines strike me as a near-tribute of a Rubaiyat Grim Reaper, perhaps you could adopt a similar pattern?

Before bed, sipping broth from scavenged scapulae
The grass throatily complains, defeated all around them.
They clutch one another's rib-cages on communed warmth
abstain from ever voting
and thank god anyway.

>> I might opt for "...the grass lays in complaint..." or some equivalent variation of the tenses. Really your power verb in this section is describing the grass as defeated, and though cartooning the grass is always appreciated you may want to go full-on with the image of purgatorial soldiers (Red Badge of Courage, Ambrose Bierce, etc etc).

>> I don't know how viable it is as a leave-off, but in the last two lines I spotted a neat flip in "abstain from ever believing, but thank you for voting anyway." Either way I think you are stabbing at a certain tunnel-vision indifference, though it leads to a larger question of why individual decisions no longer matter in the world. Being a Libertarian myself, it's interesting how you could be equating the hug-boxes of both religion and government.

Delicious were the damages rendered from this crit I must say, I can sense my muscles gathering once again as a prime OP/L torMENTOR. Dreams were crushed, free wreckage samples were administered. Another successful day-job for the merry happy power suit.
i am just terrible at writing to prompts but here we are.

a cold invitation

the san andreas quibbles
quietly, every 4.0 tectonic scrape
jolting brackish water against
troubled steel, corroding and
eroding.

8 million strangers walk among us
in the cool summer months, fog stretching a
wandering finger to the sweatshirts bought
with money slated for buskers and
fast food where signs read
"zhǐ shōu xiànjīn! cash only!"

on the wharf we see open maps
that french, german, british english work in tandem
to decipher as sea lions languish
on rocks nearby, adding brays to the
cacophony.

"it's that way."
a young man in a fitted suit
is on his lunch break from a
demanding gray building, on the 21st floor
where his window shows no hint of the
raging half-salty water biting at woody piers below.
"your hotel, i mean."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces