Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Phantom

As the lady rested her head on his chest, despite himself, Kenta felt a blush creeping up his neck, threatening to color his face with its red distinction. Her words, however, allowed him to focus into something else.
"It's...all I can say. My actions from now on must be my atonement. While I can't undo your past, I can attempt to better you and your kingdom's future."
He continued to dance with her, his mind racing as he stole furtive looks at the other guests. A few bolder Nobles had taken a passing notice of them together, and Kenta swallowed nervously, his uniform's high collar hiding the obvious motion.

But then she tilted her head up to him, whispering so quietly, her breath warm against his ear, threatening to spread his blush into his face. The only thing that stopped it were her chilling words.
His King? The man he'd sworn allegiance to? The Monarch he'd chosen, out of all the kingdoms he'd seen since his time on this plane of existence, and he was responsible for the Captain's deplorable, wretched tactics? He couldn't believe it, he wouldn't believe it. And then, the lady continued, confirming that she'd basically do and say anything to win this second war of her making.

A cold fury gripped Kenta, but he controlled himself. He remembered his claws, his fangs, his magic, how he could simply hug this frail woman tightly, crushing her bones, extinguishing her light from the world...But he didn't. He managed a shocking disconnection instead. He felt an icy calm slide over him, and he looked down at her, into her eyes. He imagined his own, looking flat and devoid of emotion, and spoke his next words carefully, quietly.
"I will ascertain the truth to your words. I swear, I will find the truth, and justice will be meted by my hand. But mark these words as well..."

A dark fire began smoldering in his eyes, and he pushed ever so slightly with his magic, dimming her vision until she could see only his face, only truly focus on his eyes.
"If I learn that you have lied to me, have provided false account of my liege, I will destroy you. And no amount of loyal lords, ladies, or armies will stand before me until I have consumed your very meager immortal soul."

He gently, but firmly, pushed the lady away from him. In one graceful motion, he bowed to her, bending at the waist and lowering his face to her. But without hesitation, he whirled and stalked off the dance floor, passing several other nobles as he moved. The lieutenant he'd been trying to brush off tried to intercept him on his way out of the great hall, but with a sharp glare that might actually kill someone with a weaker constitution, Kenta convinced him to leave him alone.

The demon had much to think upon...

CryptiKCountess

When Dietrich’s perception of the room became a black void, she was fearful she had drunk herself into an abyss. That was when her sixth sense, a little hazy, knew it was coming from the demon Kenta, who was in dangerous proximity. Agitation gripped her when she realized she may have crossed her boundaries a little on this one. Looking up, she met his threatening gaze with an equally stubborn one. She despised him so much it was impossible to fear him. If I’m lucky he will be wise enough not to slay me under my own roof. Surprisingly she gave no retort to his threat. There was nothing else to be said. When he pushed her away she miraculously managed not to topple over like a drunken fool. Judging by his hasty departure, the lady knew her words had taken effect quicker than poison.

Already lost in the maelstrom of thought, she barely noticed the prurient gazes her little stunt had earned her. Once he was out of site, her eyes scanned the ballroom for the quickest exit. Before she could also make her get away, bony fingers seized her arm. Turning to see her mother, Dietrich suddenly felt only a foot tall. Only her mother’s presence could both her as much as that demon’s. “Daughter,” She said firmly, “there is someone I’d like you to come meet tonight.” The words made the young lady on Ingthons stomach drop. Now she really felt like she was going to be ill. Not seeming to notice her daughter’s deepening discomfort she dragged her over to a corner of the ballroom. There, she was introduced to the members of the House Robespierre. They were a rigid, uncomely family who seemed to have a never ending thirst for wine. Once Dietrich was greeted by the oldest male heir to the family, she knew her evening was about to get even worse.

Taking in a slow deep breath to steady the nerves, a young stranger warily roamed the massive vaulted hallways of castle Ingthon. All around men and women pattered back and forth like a colony of ants; moving about in an organized chaos as they prepared for the conquering kings departure. It had been nearly a week since they arrived, and with the celebration over, it was time to depart to their next priority. After nearly circling the perimeter of the castle three times, the stranger finally approached a guard for directions. “’Lookin’ for the Lieutenant Skaarsgard? And who be askin’?”
“Aaron, the youngest son of house Bandemer. I am to be his next squire.” The young stranger answered proudly. That only earned a scoff from the guard. Due to consistent warring, squires were dropping like flies, and knights were struggling to find ones that did not perish on the field or run off in the night.

The guard gave poor directions, saying it was likely they were in the stables now, preparing their mounts for the road. Thanking the guard the stranger turned to go. “Don’t you need directions to the stables, boy?”
Freezing in their steps, the stranger smiled nervously. “I passed them before while I was looking. I know where they are.” Watching this person leave, the guard merely raised an eyebrow, but did nothing else. Exhaling heavily, they were only able to relax once out of sight of the guard. That was close. Dietrich was almost positive the guard would recognize her. Since he did not, she was starting to believe she could actually successfully execute her scheme.

She would not be able to pull off a ruse as a man again, but perhaps a teenaged boy. It had been a simple process, one that came almost too conveniently. The morning after reuniting with the demon and meeting that wretch of a boy who was to be her betrothed, Dietrich had gone to the cathedral for guidance. There, she spoke to the head vestal, who told her perhaps a religious pilgrimage was the answer. “Every young woman should go on this journey to purify herself, especially after becoming engaged.” She had been told, and that was when the solution presented itself. It was an impetuous plan, but somehow she had convinced one of her handmaids to be her accomplice. The plan was very simple; the handmaid would go disguised as Dietrich. The women who went on holy pilgrimages would be veiled the entire time, as it was custom for modesty, so she had a chance of not getting caught. That was the easy part. The hard part was to not to cry as the same handmaiden cut off all of Dietrich’s hair. Once it was done, she studied herself in the mirror. Indeed she still had feminine features, but she did like somewhat like a boy. The next thing to do after that was pose as Aaron of Bandemer. He was a real person, who luckily lived a thousand leagues away. Once she learned the Lieutenant Skaarsgard was without a squire, she forged a letter from the Lord of Bandemer, offering his son. The family was highborn, so the offer was unlikely not to be refused.

So far her plan was going smoothly. Everyone thought the young lady of Ingthon had left for a pilgrimage days ago, which gave her time to work out all the fine details. Though now as she crossed the grass to the stables, she felt like her heart was in her mouth. She did well on stealing plenty of boys clothing and binding her chest with strips of fabric, but men had a talent of smelling a woman when one was near. Not only that, sir Kenta was likely to pick her out immediately. As the crisp autumn wind rustled her short auburn hair, she ran a hand through it. There was no way she would ever get used to hair this short. There was no time to focus on her misery, since as soon as she entered the stables, the Lieutenant was spotted. Gathering her exhausted courage, she straightened her back and went right over to him. “Lieutenant Skaasgard,” She gave a hasty bow of respect. “I know the news was sudden, but I am Aaron of Bandemer, your new squire.” Raising her head nervously, she waited for the man’s reaction.

Kenta Mitsuwara

So I was thinking of taking this back to the direction of a war theme, with Kenta's kingdom traveling to conquer the next. I was also thinking Dieitrich goes with them as a stowaway, and of course he is the only one who knows who she is. Sound alright?

Distinct Phantom

The lieutenant looked up from his horse, standing to his full height, easily a foot taller than the boy before him. "About damn time. I asked for a replacement for that cowardly sop over a month ago. You say your name is Aaron? You will forget that for the time being. You're Squire number two from now on. If I say Squire, you come running. If I say Number Two, you come running. If I say just Two, or any other number related things pertaining directly to the second digit in our mathematical system, you come running. You will earn your name back once I've determined that you're not a worthless ne'er-do-well, trying to escape from his family's overbearing shadow and obvious marriage-promise to some backwater princess without prospects of dowry or position."
Lieutenant Skaarsgard waved over to a large pack, a suit of armor strapped onto it. "Collect my gear and have it secured onto my pack animal. We will be leaving in the next hour, and I want everything accounted for before we get even close to the gates of this place. The last thing I want is to have to come back for anything I might have forgotten." He said the last part quieter, and shivered in disgust after he did so. He turned back to his horse, speaking to Squire Number Two over his shoulder. "For whatever reason, Ser Kenta, our commanding officer, has ridden out earlier than is normal. He left without giving any specific guidance except for us to ensure accountability of our equipment and personnel and move to the next location with all due haste. I, for one, have no intention of pissing off a demon that's managed to rise so high in the ranks of our military, so in order to keep your own skin unflayed, get that gear on my pack animal why haven't you started moving yet!?"
Skaarsgard turned his head and began yelling at Squire Two, making an angry hand gesture as he did so, his hand fisted and poised to begin striking if the Squire didn't move with the utmost urgency.

Ser Kenta sat astride his black charger, sighing wearily as it trotted up the road. His rubbed the bridge of his nose with his gauntleted fingers, and thought about the night previously. After the words of Lady Dietrich had burned themselves into his mind, he had paced about in his room, wracking his brain for a solution, an answer to the problem he was now facing. He had hoped to reanimate the officer's body, interrogate it regarding who'd given the orders to do what it did, but the messenger had delivered poor news indeed when he'd come to Ser Kenta's room late last night. The captain's body had already been cremated, so there wasn't anything left that Kenta could work his necromancy on. Without the captain to corroborate the Lady's story, he had slim options left to him. The one that daunted him was the idea of just asking the King directly. Kenta wanted to absolve his Majesty of the accusations, pretend he'd never heard them, but his conscience kept nagging at him, poking and prodding incessantly at him even when he tried to sleep. And now here he sat, on his horse, riding to the border of the next province within the kingdom, his might directed as the king's own arm might swing a longsword. To put down yet another minor uprising before it burned into full blown rebellion.

There were days Kenta hated his job.

CryptiKCountess

I'm curious if you already have some opponents for us in mind. I'm already envisioning something like Final Fantasy Tactics, in regards to story/setting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff