A mixture of crime drama and romance

OoC Thread
Profile Thread

Versatile Lunatic

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
x x x x x x x x╳ ╳ ╳ I N T R O D U C T I O N
              INTRODUCTION | RULES | PLOT | SETTING | CHARACTER NETWORK | RESERVE CODE | CHARACTERS | STORY SO FAR | Q&A

It's a sad but true fact that most roleplays don't last very long. I have a theory that it's to do with there being too many characters that can't/don't interact with one another and slipping interest from the participating roleplayers. It's a shame to see good ideas go to waste in that way, especially when the RP has a particularly original and exciting concept.
            If this is something that also bothers you then you might want to read on. Ideally I want this roleplay to go on for a long period of time with plenty of drama and plotting along the way to make it interesting.

So let me tell you a little about this roleplay. There are four characters with intertwining histories and personal lives. Whilst they have pre-determined links to one another and assigned 'roles' for the RP, the rest is completely up to you to develop how you wish. I guess you could say that this RP will be more like two 1x1s going on at the same time and occasionally combining into a group RP - which should work rather well. I always find it's easier to wait on one person than three or more.
            To summarise this roleplay's plot it's a 'mixture of crime drama and romance'. I want to see plenty of criminal activity and tension with the law but a little loving on the side to add a bit of human drama. If you love to plot then this is probably the ideal roleplay for you; feel free to exercise a little creativity in your characters intentions and actions. Let's make this RP exciting!

Finally, before you start trawling through the literature (I promise there's not too much to take in) I'll just mention a bit about me. Call me Swift if you want and if you have any questions about the RP drop me a PM. If you discovered this RP a little too late (and it's full) then you can always ask me about doing a 1x1 on a similar concept. I'm always on the lookout for new RPs.
            What else can I say? This RP might take a while before it opens
            so please be patient with me. I plan to get the OoC up and running fairly soon so if you're interested in joining let me know on there.

Alright? Read on!

Versatile Lunatic

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
x x x x x x x x╳ ╳ ╳ R U L E S
              INTRODUCTION | RULES | PLOT | SETTING | CHARACTER NETWORK | RESERVE CODE | CHARACTERS | STORY SO FAR | Q&A

User Image
                                        ◆ Obey the Gaia ToS
                                            ↳ I'm sure this is self-explanatory.

◆ Be lovely to one another
                                            ↳ The IC may be full of drama but I don't want that drama to continue onto the OoC. If you've got an issue with one another take it to PMs.
                                            ↳ In the event of an argument in the OoC, mine is the last say.

◆ Keep it 'safe for work'
                                            ↳ Violence is likely to occur but try to avoid being too graphic. Subtlety is best.
                                            ↳ Similarly, I expect romance but keep it PG-13. If the pants are coming off then time-skip.

◆ Remember to reserve your character via PM
                                            ↳ Your reservations are important as it gives me an idea of what kind of character to expect.
                                            ↳ You can make a reservation without a picture but make sure you send it to me with your profile.

◆ Be creative!
                                            ↳ I'd like to see a mixture of personalities in this RP, so if someone else has made a grumpy, unaffectionate man, try to avoid doing the same. I don't want to see identical quadruplets.
                                            ↳ No sad-sap histories allowed - this includes unfeasable histories as well. I don't want to read about how your character was sadly orphaned at the age of three when their rich and wealthy family home was burned down by a burgular that stole all their worldly possessions. Nope.
                                            ↳ However, that's not to say I don't like some drama in a backstory. Make it interesting.
                                            ↳ Plot with your fellow roleplayers; see if you can get your history intermingled with other characters. It'll help the RP in the long run.

◆ Think in context
                                            ↳ Your character's name should (unless they're foreign) be Japanese.
                                            ↳ No 'unnatural' hair colours. Use your common sense as well: your Japanese man isn't going to have natural blonde hair. On the other hand, there is such a thing as bleach and hair dye.

◆ Use 'anime' pictures
                                            ↳ Avoid using images from 'popular' anime/manga. For example, Naruto, Bleach, DRRR!, Tiger and Bunny, etc. Obscure is fine.
                                            ↳ If your profile says your character is 25 and your character's image looks 12, they're not getting accepted.
                                            ↳ If your character's profile says they're a hardcore fighter and intimidating man but their image looks weedy and gentle, they're not getting accepted.

◆ Write like a BOSS
                                            ↳ I'm sure we all know what 'literate' means in regards to RPs, but just to recap: I want to see posts written in third-person, past tense and with acceptable grammar and spelling. Speech needs to be indicated by speech marks ( "..." ).
                                            ↳ I'm more interested in quality than quantity; there is no minimum post length but I ask that you put enough into your posts for your fellow roleplayers to respond to. There is no maximum either, but try not to write an essay of a post. Three paragraphs is the average I expect people to write.
                                            ↳ When writers' block comes a-knocking, don't panic. Let us know on the OoC and post as best you can.

◆ I call the time skips
                                            ↳ Sometimes there will be time skips. If you're struggling and are in dire need of a skip to further plot or whatever, let me know.
                                            ↳ If you need to skip because things have gotten steamy/gory then just go ahead.

◆ Read the Q&A
                                          ↳ If you have any further questions, PM me.

◆ Make your posts pretty
                                          ↳ Avoid overly bright/pale colours that are difficult to see.
                                          ↳ Avoid layouts with large images as these might stretch the page of smaller resolutions.

Versatile Lunatic

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
x x x x x x x x╳ ╳ ╳ P L O T

User Image
                                  The Ikeda family is currently in its third generation. Despite a façade of legitimacy the group is rather well known for their connections in the drugs trade, illegal immigrants, exploitation and other dark deeds that rake in the money. The current Oyabun (the Boss) has worked hard to expand their assets, placing a great deal of trust in the capabilities of his Shatei-gashira: the 'Big Brother' of the family that keeps a close eye on the activities of its regular members. The family's network is extensive and embracing, including a long list of local businesses, gangs and general criminals. Surprisingly, however, the Ikeda family has managed to contain its activities under a mask of secrecy. The Shatei-gashira has been incredibly successful in keeping the family apart from the minor thugs and dealers on the street so their activities could never incriminate the Ikeda.

The Shatei-gashira is a loyal and efficient member of the Ikeda group – some even believe that he should succeed the Oyabun once the Boss retires. Considering that the old man recently suffered a stroke, his retirement doesn't seem that far away. However, the old man is content on seeing one of his flesh-and-blood take over the family once he passes and has named his son the heir: the Waka-gashira. This move has caused tension amongst the men who put so much trust and loyalty in the Shatei-gashira; there is a divide between those who wish to see the old man's son succeed and those who think the successful Shatei-gashira should take over. Of course, speaking about such subjects is forbidden amongst the rank and file, but that doesn't mean to say that they don't discuss it. There have already been two incidents of infighting between the two factions.

If ignored, these incidents could prove revolutionary. The Oyabun has advised his son that if he should wish to capture the hearts and loyalty of his men he must rise to the level of his successful adjudant – a task which is easier said than done. Shatei-gashira has his fingers in many pies; to overshadow him would mean either to match his breadth or overtake his depth. It's a difficult decision, but one which the Waka-gashira must make should he wish to remain heir and avoid bloodshed later on down the line.

Unfortunately a complication has arisen. The local police force have been investigating some missing persons reports which have remained unsolved since two years prior. Most of the evidence leads to abduction and possibly murder but it is almost impossible to land a decent lead; just when the investigators think they're onto something incriminating the leads become vague and useless. It's fairly obvious that the culprit is in the Ikeda group but the police have no power without evidence. However, the investigation took a positive turn half a year ago when a minor criminal gave testimony of an Ikeda higher-up's involvement with a crime that could link them to the missing persons. After much deliberation and reluctance, an undercover detective was sent in to investigate from within.

It's a risky move; if discovered the man's life is no doubt forfeit. From what information he has gathered since his involvement in the Family there are two possible culprits that could link with the crime: the Waka-gashira or the Shatei-gashira.Unfortunately he can't get close enough to the Waka-gashira to investigate properly and so, for now, he has been focusing on the Shatei-gashira. With any luck, using 'Big Brother' as a connection point he could wriggle his way into the Waka-gashira's company as well. But he's struggling with his role in the Family; the undercover investigation has already been active for more than four months. For a policeman, constantly participating in crime and violence has been trying his patience. There's some concern back in the Station for his mental state.

Of course, another helpful link to the Waka-gashira is the man's old friend. His mother works as a maid in the household and is a friend and confidant of the Oyabun's current wife and from an early age he was encouraged to keep the Waka-gashira company. For the most part he has managed to keep himself free from the family's criminal activities but his connection to the Waka-gashira has not gone unnoticed. Truth be told, he never really thought about the family's criminal nature until he was in his teens; someone attempting to goad the Waka-gashira held a gun to the young friend's head and the young master, instead of complying, pulled out a gun on the offender. Try as he might, the young master's friend cannot forget that scene – it was a wake up call. He can't help but wonder, with the family's turbulent factions between the Waka-gashira and Shatei-gashira, if his friend would indulge in horrific criminal activities just to rise on top.

These are difficult times; this is a risky business.

Versatile Lunatic

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
x x x x x x x x╳ ╳ ╳ S E T T I N G

User Image
                                  Our story takes place in an unnamed town near Tokyo, Japan. Close enough to the capital to be industrialised but far enough away to remain relatively small and compact, this town has all the hallmarks of the modern urban lifestyle with the added sensitivity of tradition. The centre of town expands outwards from the main railway station and includes locations for shopping, offices, local government and the main police station. At night, when these locations are empty, the clubs and bars just outside of the centre come to life with neon lights and enthusiastic advertisers trying to draw you in. It is here that you will find various hostess clubs and other, more sleazy establishments; this is the location where men go after a long day's work to enjoy a woman's company and women head to for an exciting cocktail with their friends. There are plenty of restaurants and arcades here too, not to mention street vendors and convenience stores. Generally speaking most of these establishment are overseen and 'protected' by various small gangs in the area, but almost all of them report to the Ikeda family.

Outside of the centre is where you will also find various shrines and other serene locations. The town is known for its beautiful displays of cherry blossoms in the spring, with Mount Fuji looming artistically in the distance. A river runs along the edge of the town and cuts through a local park situated near a selection of local highschools. Most students take a break after class and club activities here and its not uncommon to see delinquents skipping school to loiter under the shade of the trees or by the riverside.
                                  The river leads to the ocean beside the docks. There are numerous warehouses here mostly owned by local fisherman companies and businesses that require shipped goods, but its not uncommon to see Ikeda men loitering in the area as well. The docks are quite far from the town but this distance and privacy only encourages illicit activities. Police presence is generally abhorred.

The Ikeda family home is impressive and beautiful, but it is hidden by a thick and tall wall that surrounds the complex. It is located not far from the park and neighbouring other old and established family homes and guarded by at least ten men at any given time. The complex is made up of three buildings labelled 'main', 'secondary' and 'private'.
                                  The Main building is where any family business meetings or dinners are conducted; any guests are taken here to be greeted by their host. It is something of a communal building. The Secondary building is almost a barracks for the men. It is here that many of the adopted brothers of the Ikeda eat their meals and in some cases, sleep. This is the Shatei-gashira's castle and under its roof his word is absolute. This building also has a weapons store beneath it, although only a select few can gain entry. Finally there is the Private building which serves as a home to the Oyabun and his blood family. Like any other family home it includes a personal kitchen and dining area, living areas and studies. It also has access to a private garden and tearoom, as well as a 'women's room' where the Oyabun's wife can remain undisturbed. Entry to this building is restricted.

Our story takes place in the middle of November, 2013. The weather has begun to take a turn for the worse; there's a sharp chill in the air and a persistent, bitter wind. The Oyabun's health continues to wane and most of his executive duties have been temporarily placed under the Shatei-gashira's responsibility. The transfer of duties, whilst necessary, has ruffled a few feathers in the Waka-gashira's faction of supporters. Tensions are building but the show must go on; there's still plenty to be done.

Versatile Lunatic

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
x x x x x x x x╳ ╳ ╳ C H A R A C T E R  N E T W O R K

User Image
                                  RELATIONSHIPS

WAKA-GASHIRA
                                      Oya-bun's only son and heir.
                                      Shatei-gashira's rival.
                                      ↳ Friends since childhood with Family Friend.

SHATEI-GASHIRA
                                      ↳ Second in command to the Oya-bun
                                      Waka-gashira's rival.
                                      ↳ Taken on the Undercover Policeman as a direct underling.

UNDERCOVER POLICEMAN
                                      ↳ Has become a direct underling to the Shatei-gashira.
                                      ↳ Often keeps the Family Friend company.
                                      ↳ Has a personal vendetta against the Oyabun.

FAMILY FRIEND
                                      Waka-gashira's closest and oldest 'friend'.
                                      ↳ Almost ended up in the Shatei-gashira's bed once.
                                      ↳ Suspicious of the Undercover Policeman's occupation.

NPC CHARACTERS

OYA-BUN (BOSS)
                                      ↳ Nobuchika Ikeda, age fifty-eight.
                                      ↳ Partially responsible for the family's success.
                                      ↳ Fond of both the Waka-gashira and the Shatei-gashira but wants his son to succeed him.
                                      ↳ Never took a mistress; he adores his wife.
                                      ↳ Views illicit activites as necessary for economic gain but prefers what he calls 'victimless' crimes.

OYA-BUN'S WIFE
                                      ↳ Noriko Ikeda, age forty-three.
                                      ↳ Confides in her closest friend, the Family Friend's mother.
                                      ↳ A sly and shrewd woman, the men joke that she has 'balls of steel'. Nothing unnerves her.
                                      ↳ Was once an aspiring model.

POLICE HANDLER
                                      ↳ Akihiko Mitsuhide, age forty-one.
                                      Undercover Policeman's handler. A trained psychologist, he gives him weekly support.
                                      ↳ Already noted that his charge has a vendetta against the Oyabun and is wary because of it.
                                      ↳ At the slightest sign of risk he will recommend that his charge be extracted.

Versatile Lunatic

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
x x x x x x x x╳ ╳ ╳ R E S E R V E  C O D E

User Image
                                  [img]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/lzz8/size.png[/img]
                                  [size=9]NAME, AGE[/size]
                                  [size=9](Username)[/size]

[size=10][b]Some Vague Details[/b]
                                  ◆ (Four personality traits)
                                  ◆ (Three likes)
                                  ◆ (Three dislikes)
                                  ◆ (Write a short blurb for him. A handful of sentences will do, just something to give me an idea of who he is.) [/size][/size]

Interested in joining? Fantastic!
                                  ↳ Firstly, make sure you've read the rules, the plot and the setting.
                                  ↳ Secondly, have a look at the post above this one (relationships) and the one below (characters). I've specified a few details about the characters that you'll need to adhere to.
                                  ↳ Once you know which character you would like, fill out the reserve code and send it to me. Title the PM with your character's role.
                                  ↳ I'll PM you back with the verdict.

Versatile Lunatic

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
x x x x x x x x╳ ╳ ╳ C H A R A C T E R S

User Image
                                  User Image
                                  Waka-Gashira
                                  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
                                  NAME, AGE
                                  ↳ Has been conditioned to succeed the family all his life.
                                  ↳ There are rumours that his illicit activities are the most immoral and deplorable of all.
                                  ↳ Was never allowed to take an active role in the family until just two years ago; inexperienced. ↳ He's shelved his life's dream and ambition to please his father.

OPEN

User Image
                                  Shatei-Gashira
                                  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
                                  NAME, AGE
                                  ↳ Brought under the Ikeda's wing at a young age.
                                  ↳ Worked hard in service of the Oyabun and is trusted with a very successful business empire.
                                  ↳ Skilled at keeping secrets; if he acts beyond the bounds of the law he always makes sure to cover his tracks.
                                  ↳ Feels that if the Waka-gashira took over the family, he would become a puppet for others and run the business into the ground.

OPEN

User Image
                                  Undercover Policeman
                                  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
                                  NAME, AGE
                                  ↳ Started as a lackey for a smaller, affliliated gang before working his way up the ranks.
                                  ↳ His personality is well suited to the tasks he is asked to perform but it also eats away at him.
                                  ↳ There is worry for his mental state, especially considering his history.
                                  ↳ Given the opportunity he would gladly put a bullet in the Oyabun's head rather than let legal justice take its course.

OPEN

User Image
                                  Family Friend
                                  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
                                  NAME, AGE
                                  ↳ Mother worked as a maid in the Ikeda household and became a confidant of the Oyabun's wife. His family is ordinary, completely legitimate.
                                  ↳ Has always shadowed the Waka-gashira and generally aware of the family's illicit activities.
                                  ↳ Would rather not see his friend suceeding the Ikeda family.
                                  ↳ Has a paralysing fear of having his movement restricted that dates back to when he was kidnapped.

OPEN

Versatile Lunatic

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
x x x x x x x x╳ ╳ ╳ S T O R Y  S O  F A R

I'll document story progression here with each time skip.

Versatile Lunatic

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
x x x x x x x x╳ ╳ ╳ Q & A

General Topics

Can I ask you a question?
            In case you haven't piced it up already, I'm happy to answer any of your questions and will respond as quickly as possible. However, it's best to PM them to me than quoting me in the OoC because I don't pay attention to my notices.
            What do I do if I’d like to quit? 
            Just let me know via PM.
            The RP is full! Can you make another character slot for me?
            There are four characters and that's all there will ever be. If someone quits I will either open up their role for someone new or I'll work a new character into the story and put them up for grabs. It's probably going to be an ad-hoc decision.

Character Creation

I find the blurb on my character too constraining. Can I deviate from it?
            I've tried to keep the guidelines fairly vague but if something I've mentioned is getting in the way of your creativity let me know via PM. I don't mind changing it if you've got a better idea.
            How old should I make my character?
            It's up to you. There's no upper limit but I guess the lower limit is eighteen. To be honest I'd prefer to see characters older than twenty. Also, the Waka and friend probably shouldn't have a massive age gap between them.
            I’ve got a perfect picture but the eyes are a weird colour!
            Pass it my way, I have the magic of photoshop. I can do hair too, but it depends on the image.
            Can you help me crop my picture? 
            Yeah, no problem.
            I want to include another character in my history. What should I do?
            If they haven't been reserved yet then go ahead and do as you like, but try not to be too restrictive. If the character has been taken, get hold of the roleplayer and talk out your idea with them.
            Can I modify my profile after I’ve finished it and you’ve approved it?
            Yes, but not the main information (such as their details, personality and history). Feel free to change their additional images, theme song and relationship details, and alter anything else that needs editing due to IC circumstances.  

RP Related

Can I kill another character? 
            No. To avoid this, it's best to not go around shooting main characters or running them over in your car, otherwise they will have to miraculously return from the dead unscathed. NPCs, however, are another matter. It doesn't matter too much if they kick the bucket, but that doesn't mean you can go on a murder spree.
            What are the limits of plot drama?
            Try to keep your drama within reason and don't go over the top (as in, don't have too much happening all at once). Also, make sure you get the other roleplayers on board if you want to do something drastic. Let's say, for example, that your character shoots poor Oyabun in the head. It changes the RP immensely and, if your fellow roleplayers aren't ready for it, they're gonna get pissed off. The OoC is your friend for plotting and keeping things under wraps.
            How much collateral can I cause?
            Think realistically. If there's a gunfight in broad daylight downtown then the police are going to get involved and things will get messy. I don't really want to see explosions and huge-scale shootouts.
            Can I make NPCs?
            Of course! PM me with their name, age, role in the RP and perhaps a little blurb about them including their personality. NPCs can be used by anyone to enhance their posts, so just be sure to include enough information so they can portray the character accurately.  

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff