Unaligned 0.41176470588235 41.2% [ 14 ]
Total Votes:[ 34 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Dapper Pirate

11,300 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Millionaire 200
((whoops i realized it is after curfew, is rusty's tavern open after curfew?))

Dapper Explorer

User Image

Lucien had been about to say something when Vinstrom, or rather Vinny, removed his glove and suddenly the whole thing became clear to the tinker. He wasn’t sure if replacement limbs really fell under his area of expertise but…well it was fascinating. Holding out his own hand in silent request he took the mechanical appendage over to a nearby desk and pulled out a magnifying glass from one of the drawers to look at it more closely. ”Amazing,” he muttered, largely to himself, ”Whoever made this really knew what they were doing.”

He used his thumb to gently turn one of the gears and saw the index finger flex then relax as he removed the pressure. The rest would probably work the same way, deduced Lucien. Except, of course, for the broken thumb. It made sense that the most complex digit would break down first but as things stood he couldn’t see enough of the insides to be sure it was within his power to fix. It was reassuring however that except for its function as a working hand it wasn’t far removed from other devices he’d fiddled with before.

Laying down the glass he felt along the sides and palm lines to see if perhaps the hand opened up further. There were a few but he didn’t feel comfortable trying it without confirmation first. Grabbing a roll of tools from the same desk he’d taken the magnifying glass he moved back to his seat by the fire, beckoning Vinny to sit down in the chair Enor had vacated.
”Does it open?” he asked, handing it back as he unrolled the fabric to have a place to work on as well as to get at the tools held in place by it, ”And if you would, tell me what you can about it and who made it.”

Dapper Explorer

Sad Dust Glories
((whoops i realized it is after curfew, is rusty's tavern open after curfew?))

((Yes it is. Even though technically people shouldn't be leaving the premises (at least officially) after curfew, the fact that it's an inn means that it can keep open 24/7.))

Dapper Pirate

11,300 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Millionaire 200
Qwenloswen

((Yes it is. Even though technically people shouldn't be leaving the premises (at least officially) after curfew, the fact that it's an inn means that it can keep open 24/7.))

((good to know, thanks))

Eloquent Lunatic

User Image
Vinstrom Johnston
) Vinny (

"Press in on the middle knuckle. The plates will pop out on little poles, then they'll be removable by simply sliding them off the poles. Great feature that. Makes for easy cleaning. Only works if the hand is removed though." Vinny took seat on a stool nearby, but far enough away to not get in the man's way. "Yes, the man who made the hand was quite the amazing inventor. Unfortunately, he passed about five years ago. I've been looking for someone who could effectively repair the items since. His workshop was large and stocked full of items. Very few were actually limbs, but he prided himself on these in particular."

Vinny got comfortable rather quickly. This was the first person to really take interest in the hand. Oddly, a lot of tinkers didn't want anything to do with him, regardless of the fact he was part machine. "As far as the hand is concerned, it's mostly joints and miniature pistons. Those are actually made to silent the motion in the hands, though I'm not sure how. All the pistons I've seen make a lot of noise. Mostly basic joints, save for the thumb. I think it's a ball joint, but I'm not really certain how to describe it. Best if you open it up. The plates are solid, and should only need minor repairs if any. Once under the plate, it'll be easy to navigate."

Dapper Explorer

User Image

Following Vinny’s instructions it didn’t take long for Lucien to have the larger plates off the hand and laid off to the side after a cursory examination. Vinny had been right, for the most part they were perfectly fine; the spots that were used most had been rubbed smooth and shiny but besides that there was no real damage done there. Turning his attention back to the hand he paused for a moment just to take it all in.

Whoever had made the thing had been some kind of genius. That was the first conclusion Lucien reached; the device was elegant in its simplicity, consisting as it did of a deceptively simple looking system of pistons and levers, all powered from the gears he’d seen when the hand was still closed. Obviously it all somehow tied to and was powered by Vinny’s arm or whatever was on his wrist as the attachment point. Though he was curious Lucien wouldn’t ask to see until he built some rapport with the strange man, he could probably rebuild the hand without knowing how everything worked.

It quickly became obvious where some cables were starting to wear through in the fingers and more than one piston showed signs of corrosion. As had been obvious even before removing the plates the thumb was worst. Instead of merely showing signs of wear and tear the rod attached to the ball joint in the palm had snapped, shorn through by time and lack of upkeep. Not that Vinny hadn’t tried, the piece was immaculate but there were some things only doing a complete refitting could manage to fix.
“I think that this piece at least is within my abilities to repair,” he finally said, after taking a mental inventory of what he had in his workroom, “I’m not sure it can be done tonight however…I don’t want to rush this and ruin the whole thing. However there is still the matter of price.” Some people might consider the conversation change ignominious but he was a tinker for hire. He might wish that he could just keep inventing without having to worry about the necessities but the fact of the matter was he did and as such he had to be part businessman.

Eloquent Lunatic

User Image
Vinstrom Johnston
) Vinny (

Vinny nodded. Price was always there. Everyone needed some way to pay the bills, as it were. "I can do one of three things. The quickest and easiest way would be simple coin. One I would prefer to that would be my services in almost anything. The third, and probably best for both, would be a combination of both. I pay for the pieces repaired, but with some coin and some favors. I am fine with any of the three, and so I'll leave the price up to you." He'd hoped that Lucien would take the second option. He could pay. Quite easily, as well. But he felt a need to attach himself as...something.

It would be easy to get the man interested in the limbs, but what about partnership? Fortunately, he wasn't a Tinker himself. Most tinkers didn't like dealing with each other beyond the occasional compilation of work. Vinny sighed. Another big word. He supposed that it should be considered progress, but he couldn't help but feel he was changing too much. "I'll likely be needing repairs for most of my parts, and possibly some tools later on. I'm willing to take whatever route would work best for your needs. Do note though, my favors are considered by some to be invaluable. I would attempt to be humble about it, but some people like to dig into history. Take it as you will though."

Dapper Dabbler

My Fellow players, things have been going very well the last few days, but there is much more yet to come!!!
In two days, that is the 12th of January, there will be a new day!!!
Which means, close off your posts before then, make sure you have an idea of where you character will be by then, and dress to impress!!
The new day will also bring about a very small, yet fun plot drop where everyone who is currently in the game may participate in.
However~!! Make sure your character is fancied up if you are to be part of it.
Qwen or myself will be the one to make the new day post, so look for it when you sign on next.
Thank you~!!
=3

Dapper Explorer

User Image

Though mildly insulted at what Vinny was inferring with the offer – based on where the wear on his hand was as well as the way the man carried himself it wasn’t hard to guess what kinds of services he provided that could be considered “invaluable” – Lucien clamped down on his initial reaction to take offense. He had already lost his temper once this evening with Enor earlier; he had no intention of making it a habit, especially when the offer had been made in good faith. Just because he found the thought of assassination distasteful didn’t mean that he was blind to the fact that others used it, the tinker just preferred to keep things out in the open…except of course where his inventions were concerned.

”I believe you’re right, the last option will probably serve both our interests best,” agreed Lucien, keeping a tight lid on his first reaction to the offer. After all, one never knew when one might need a hand with something else for surely the man must have other uses than being a contract killer. ”Part to be paid in cash on completion of the job and part to be saved as a favor at some time in the future,” as their working relationship progressed he’d be willing to extend Vinny credit, he was far from desperate for money after all, but Lucien made it a policy to always require payment on completion the first few times. Not up front because he couldn’t guarantee results every time; most times certainly, he had an impressive success rate but that was hardly a promise of success.

Eloquent Lunatic

User Image
Vinstrom Johnston
) Vinny (

Vinny looked a bit puzzled for a moment. There was a hint of distaste in the acceptance. He didn't understand why he...Oh. Oh dear. "Forgiver my earlier statement. I suppose it's something I'm unfortunately used to. Politicians like their shadow-speak, and sometimes I forget that I've spoken as such. Yes, my duties include some distasteful subjects, but my favors are for much more than just those. I can acquire items that might be otherwise difficult to find, or obtain. I could also simply be a heavy lifter. I have no obligations to fulfill any contracts that others bestow on me, but favors...I will always repay a favor."

He shifted in his seat, a bit uncomfortable and embarrassed that he'd tripped over his own tongue like that. Here he was in another man's house and he'd likely offended him. Blast those politicians and their bleeding personalities. He did not need their influence on his life, bad enough as it is. "When I said invaluable, I meant more as anything I can do for another man, but I suppose it did inflect my darker duties. I do apologize for the slip."

Dapper Explorer

User Image

Mollified by Vinny’s apology, Lucien was a bit embarrassed by his initial reaction to the offer. Of course he’d jumped right to the most unsavory conclusion he could based on what was honestly a rather vague offer. Lucien nodded, “Apology accepted and I should perhaps extend my own for my rash supposition. It was unfair of me to assume that I knew what you meant.” Since Vinny seemed to be telling the truth about the things he could help out with then favor he offered was suddenly much more appealing than he had first thought.

He looked back down at the hand lying on the table,
“Sadly I have nothing you could use in the meantime. Instead all I can say is that I’ll do my best to have it done as soon as possible.” He’d said he wasn’t sure it could be done tonight but that hadn’t been a certainty, for all he knew it would prove to be a relatively simple matter and the more he thought on it the surer he was that it would prove easy enough. In fact, he had a few ideas that would simplify upkeep in the future if they could be implemented. He mentally swatted these thoughts away, one thing at a time. Fix first, then improve. All the same, it was better to request a longer time than he expected to need than vice-versa.

Eloquent Lunatic

User Image
Vinstrom Johnston
) Vinny (

Vinny nodded. It was a good a promise as any. The sooner, the better, but as it were, he could wait. He wanted a better job than a quick one anyway. "I appreciate it. And don't worry about a replacement. I can do just fine with one hand for now. In the meantime, is there anything I could help you with? If not, I'll leave you to your work. Oh! Here's my card." He set a small blackish card on the table. It had a small silver symbol in the center with no other markings. "Light it afire in something with a chimney. It gives off a smoke that only my eyes can see. I should be able to respond within an hour, so don't use this as an emergency thing. Other than that, I'll be along to help with whatever you need."

Vinny would wait for the response. Best to make sure he didn't need anything. Vinny actually rather hoped he did. Missing one hand definitely made things harder out in the open, if he ran into anyone. He'd hoped he'd also be able to stay long enough until curfew passed.

Dapper Explorer

User Image

Naturally Lucien’s immediate thought was to wonder what sort of chemical might accomplish such a thing. Especially considering the assertion that only Vinny would be able to see it…it bore further thought but now wasn’t the time. Pocketing the card he nodded, most of his thoughts turned towards the hand but not so much so that he didn’t catch Vinny’s hesitation in leaving and he thought he understood why – his predicament wasn’t far from Enor’s after all. Actually…it was funny how the two paralleled each other, unintentional though it was.

“I won’t be very good company,” said Lucien as he started removing the smaller plates along the rest of the fingers, “But if you would prefer to stay a while longer I won’t kick you out so you’ll be breaking curfew.” Somehow he neglected to notice or at least mention that Vinny must already have done so to arrive when he had. He nodded towards a bookshelf beside the fireplace, “I don’t know if you’re a reader but you might find something to while away the time with there.” It would be fiddly work repairing the hand but it wouldn’t need a lot of tools or materials so he could bring what he needed out here. Not that he didn’t trust Vinny, or at least that wasn’t the main reason, he just felt it would be churlish to shut himself into his workroom while the client was still present in his home.

Dapper Explorer

((OOC: Just a reminder, folks, we're restarting with a new day tonight at 12 midnight MST. In other words, in about an hour and fifteen minutes.))

Dapper Explorer

((OOC: Ding-dong, Cinderellas and Cinderellos, it's now midnight MST and a new day in the RP.))

January 12

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces