XDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDЭato Ӈemmingway

Some came in chains
Unrepentant but tired.
Too tired but to stumble.
Thinking and hating were finished
Thinking and fighting were finished.
Cures thus a long campaign...

User ImageUser Image
Cato eased his powerful wings behind him like a massive onyx cape. His aching back cried out in bitter vengeance at the repeated abuse he put them through. Yet, Cato stood still in a carefully maintained, commanding and erect posture. They had work to do....judging by the gathering curtain of clouds in the sky, they had little time. He turned to face the two laying on the ground. Both stood up: he opened his mouth to speak and stopped short. Lys stepped forward, her small frame trembled in a chill wind that rifled through his own ebony feathers. Her large Bambi eyes glistened with intense sadness; gripping Cato suddenly...He forgot everything that just happened in an instant. 'what was wrong?'

Lys blurted, "You aren't in the way. You feel I'm in the way. You and Avianna both. You fly away from me when you talk, you scream out that you don't want me reading your mind or that I should stay innocent. You're the one pushing me away. You don't want to have fun with me. I'm getting in your way." Cato listened, unblinking in a seemingly unfeeling blank expression 'No.It wasn't her....Not the way she projected it..." Cato barely had time to think before she bolted past him like a startled fawn. "Lys." He reached out to stop her, but he wasn't reaching to get a grip, and she plummeted right by his outstretched fingers. Her large berry basket, nearly as big as her whole torso, swayed violently behind her rapidly moving white dress.

For Lys to think that he would be angry was natural. There was nothing more frustrating for a man, especially one like Cato, than to have someone bring up an emotional conflict, especially a private one, blurt it out, and then run off before he had a chance to fix it. After his initial shock lifted, his brow furrowed downward in a pained expression. Only his head moved to follow her fleeing charcoal hair as she darted across the lawn. He was a problem solver, not a 'feeler'...What was he supposed to do now? Avianna rested her hand on his shoulder, and said, "Get breakfast ready, I'll be right back."

Cato nodded, and watched as she flew after their friend. Her powerful wings glowed angelically in the sun. 'Good. She was more than capable of speaking for the two of them. A nurturer by heart; she would know what Lys needed, and be capable of giving it.' Cato's emotionally expressive energy diffused after that hug. Even his attempts to get Lys back seemed half-hearted…either that or cold and disinterested.

Cato placed his hands on his hips, willing away the frustrating fatigue that crept into his bones. He liked to keep his emotions and thought processes as separate as possible, so he could think clearly. His busy mind poured over past events to find out why she ran off: what really happened to cause this, what she was really wanting, what he was and wasn't responsible for, and how to fix this.

First, it was against her nature to be confrontational. Secondly, judging by her response, she had been holding that pain in for some time. She was shy and that fact supported both premises. Thirdly, she was trembling: it seemed more like fear then not..the breeze was more of a relief than something of torment, as unusual as the breeze was. Lastly, he was a known disciplinarian... The only logical thing he could conclude was that she ran because she was afraid of what he would think. She must have felt cornered, like she had to throw out her two cents an run. . Either way, she should have known by now there was no reason to run. He'd never mistreat one of them. He didn't yell at any of them very often, so when he did it was a big deal...

Almost immediately, Connie softly stepped beside him. "Uhhh....well the fish is inside, I just cut it up for all of us to share..." Cato's thoughts were temporarily interrupted by the presence of the other mutant male. Yup. He'd almost forgotten. Avianna could be seen in the distance, swooping after Lys. The light breeze that blew when Lys approached him picked up again, it was difficult to tell, but Cato's feathers were ruffled. He tore his gaze from the horizon and turned inside, expecting Connie to follow. Sure enough the fish were neatly stacked in a bowl on the well-worn, and slightly saggy counter top. They would fry up quickly on the hot bed of coals they had ignited earlier. He picked up the bowl and headed outside, without so much as a word to the other male. It didn't take long to prepare the fish to fry and soon they were at a nice simmer. Cato's stomach growled at the sound of popping searing flesh. He stepped toward the fish trap and pulled out the small animal he had caught for Lys.

With ridiculous ninja-like dexterity, Cato whipped out his hunting knife. Two deft strokes prepared the animal for gutting and skinning. He hummed mentally as he worked. The melancholy tune sped up tempo with unnatural cheer as he worked: like Dracula singing a dirge. The realization of the fact that he was skinning an animal and humming funeral music tickled his dry sense of humor, at least temporarily....

Was he wrong to 'block her out?' There were some things that happened to Cato, things the others did not experience. He just wasn't ready to face them again. He knew it wasn't not entirely. The way Cato saw it, there were two factors going on. Lys was growing into her powers, and Cato, well he had some of his own problem to handle... Obviously, he could be less secretive. But Lys had to grow too. She had to learn that sometimes people had their thoughts, and they weren't ready to be shared. It did not mean that he was shutting her out, or that he was hiding them from her. He needed time. In Avianna's case, she just needed a moment with her best friend.He was secretive by nature, despite Jeb working hard to help him with that...being more personable, Cato often thought he hadn't really changed, at least not the way Lys needed....Could he? He did know for a fact, he needed to hide his concerns less: running off the way they did. It was logically, and from all common knowledge wrong, or at least unfair. Looking back, and at all the times he had shut her out he was embarrassed to discover, he did it far too much.

The warm glowing coals beckoned him, kindling his desire to sleep. He sat in the soft grass a bit back form the fire. Already, the morning sun had dissolved the dew. Judging by Connie's furrowed brow, Cato figured he'd want to talk. "Something on you're mind?"

▬♦OOC: I'm late gain. Getting to the computer has been impossible. I hope this won't be a continuing trend. I don't intend of quitting any time soon. Just letting you all know... I'll see what I can do to get this ball rolling again. (( I don't know if the running past Cato thing is considered to be Godmodding? I hope not, if it is let me know in the OOC or something and you have my permission to pretend like that didn't happen.))▬♦ Outfit/Extra: Was black faded out...▬♦ Song: Looking out for them.▬♦

Angelic Kitten

User ImageUser Image______L Y SX A N G E L D A W S O N X ____
xxxxx▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
_______&___P r o j e c t 0 0 6
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx♔♔♔
xxxxxxxxxxxxIxWxixlxlxWxixnx!
___________________________I don't like that.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx┏━━━━━━━━━┓
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx⊰⋮age 15
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx⊰⋮ m u s i c -----
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx┗━━━━━━━━━┛
CARINGxxxxDOLLxxxxLOVINGxxxxSHYxxxxSWEETxxxxCUTE

She heard the movement of wings before she saw Avianna but she didn't try to resist as the girl pulled her into her lap. What point was there? She was just the baby. The toy. She didn't flinch or blink as the older female wiped away her tears. Would you believe it if I told you that I was crying, very similar to how you are now, just minutes ago? She didn't blink and instead charcoal eyes watched Avianna quietly refusing to let out any more tears. She knew the female was already feeling bad for her and she didn't like it. There were other ways to gain pity besides crying. Plus she wasn't going to show the very people who upset her, her tears. Her pride wouldn't allow that. I thought that maybe trying to keep this away from you might protect you and everyone else, but I see that I was in the wrong. The small female just watched her "What point does it make in telling me this now? You and Cato are the leaders. I'm just a baby. The only reason you are even telling me this now is because you were already afraid I would tell the others what you and Cato had been thinking." She spoke her voice void of emotions. At the other females sigh she looked away. For the past few weeks I have felt a very ominous feeling, like something bad would happen. I guess I ditto it from you fairly well. Lys' large eyes narrowed before she took a breath. "You did not hide it from me. You just always ended those thoughts with how you feared I would tell someone else. I didn't. I couldn't. At least Connie is honest with me about his thoughts. No secrets, no lies, nothing but honesty. You and Cato both…You don't trust anyone but one another." She spoke bitterly in time to see the wink. It wasn't until today, when I saw the approaching storm that I truly succumbed to the feeling and I wanted to talk to Cato about it, to see if he felt the same. I didn't want you to know yet. Lys was hugged then set down and she looked away. "You made that blatantly obvious." She said as the older female to the basket from her and she made no effort to resist. Her arm was then linked and Lys found she felt chided by how childish she was being treated, however, she didn't let this show and just walked with the other female. I think that Itex may be coming for us finally. Everything is just too conspicuous to stay here, the storm, the feeling, and the fact that we are escaped experiments that Itex still needs to test our progress. She sighed and watched Avianna crush the strawberry before she looked away. I hope that you know how much you mean to both Cato and I. I'm sorry for everything that has happened recently, but we will get back to where we were, I promise that. Lys yet again said nothing to the statement. She knew that in reality nothing would be the way it had been. Not unless they were captured again. Only then would they need her. Until then they were going to shut her out, assault her mind with their songs and thoughts. She felt the girl wrap her arms around her and then her wings and charcoal eyes watched her. We need to leave this house, now, before the storm hits. If we don't, we will be stuck for at least a day, leaving us weak and exposed. We can't afford that, not now, or ever. The smaller female continued to watch Avianna before she spoke again. I love you, each and every one of you, I couldn't bare to lose any one of you all, this is precautionary. I'm sorry I hid this from you. She watched the frown on Avianna's face before she took a deep breath and slowly she began changing her hair going darker till it was black before her eyes went pale blue and her height changed till she stood at the same height as Avianna blue eyes locking on her. "I will go with Connie. You and the others go by flight wherever, but he can't fly. And I will not leave him behind. He is the only one who treats me as an equal. If you tell me where you wish to meet then we will meet you there. I can blend in among humans, unlike you, or Cato. And so can Connie. We know that I'm a bigger target because of that. Meaning although I have more powers, I can put you all in more danger, and I already plague both you and Cato enough. I don't want to travel with you. I want to and will travel with Connie and you will not change that. I am more than capable of handling myself. Moreso than either you or Cato wish to see. I can't be a leader like you, but I also know who I want to be closer to. I can't do the assault on my brain from Cato and your thoughts. Not only does it feel like a machine gun on rapid fire, but it's also hurtful. I can't do it anymore. I can help, but don't make me travel in the same group as you two." That was the only request she had before she went back to normal and slowly her peacock colored feathers grew from her back again and she ruffled them before she started walking back to the hut reaching it in time to hear Cato thinking that she had to grow up. She reached out for Connie. Anything. By the time she reached the house she saw Cato talking to Connie and just moved past them and inside not uttering a word going to her bed and pulling out the teddy bear with a heavy sigh as she moved around the arms before she hugged it.

Malevolent Firestarter

8,075 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
User Image

Constantine Avid Katzenberger

Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the lash. That one is the cat...

Constantine inside for Cato, who entered moments later, and took the fish and other items outside. Connie sighed, following him out again so he could at least help and make sure that Lys would get the meal she wanted, and not the fish. He watched as Cato put the fish onto the coals, and then set the potatoes by the fish so when they were done frying, they could drizzle the grease over the potatoes. Having done that he unwrapped the fruit while Cato took care of the small animal he had caught. He realized that Cato was humming a dirge while he worked and chuckled under his breath. It fit Connie's sense of dark humour perfectly.

Like the fish, Connie cut up the fruit into equal servings for all of them, and then took a single piece from all the servings to add to Lys so she would have a slightly bigger fruit serving to make up for the missing fish. As he worked, he could tell Cato was deep in thought, and so remained quiet so as not to disturb him. He finished with the fruit and stood, stretching slightly, just as Cato glanced at him and asked if their was something on his mind.

Connie shrugged, glancing in the direction Lys had dissappeared again. "Not really, Just wondering what you and Avianna went off to talk about....I figure it was either the approaching storm or our dwindling supplies" He replied, crossing his arms, his gaze moving from where Lys had gone to look at the sky. He didn't like water, not at all. He wasn't sure if he had always hated water, or if it was part of the personality traits he'd gained when infused with Feline DNA, but either way, he knew he wouldn't like the coming storm.

He felt a sudden pull on his mind toward where Lys had walked off, and knew she was reaching for him, though he wasn't sure why this time. It must have something to do with Cato and Avianna and what they had been talking about. A moment later, She was walking past him and Cato and had gone into the 'house' they shared. Connie stood indecisively, again torn between going to check on Lys and helping cook. This time he chose Lys however, and picking up the fruit he had set aside for her, he moved towards the house. "Hold that thought, I just want to give Lys her breakfast" he said to Cato as he passed him.

In the house, Connie followed the pull of his thoughts, and soon found Lys sitting on her bed, hugging a teddy. He didn't know what to say to her, so instead held out the plate of fruit. "Breakfast" He said lamely, still standing at the doorway and waiting for her permission to come in

...If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat

Angelic Kitten

User ImageUser Image______L Y SX A N G E L D A W S O N X ____
xxxxx▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
_______&___P r o j e c t 0 0 6
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx♔♔♔
xxxxxxxxxxxxIxWxixlxlxWxixnx!
___________________________I don't like that.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx┏━━━━━━━━━┓
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx⊰⋮age 15
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx⊰⋮ m u s i c -----
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx┗━━━━━━━━━┛
CARINGxxxxDOLLxxxxLOVINGxxxxSHYxxxxSWEETxxxxCUTE

Lys heard Connie's thoughts before she saw him but she made no effort to hide. Normally she would hide under the bed or run away when she felt upset, and she probably would have if it were someone besides Constantine. She could tell that he didn't know what to say to her and she couldn't really blame him in the least. She had stopped their former conversation to snap at Cato and then just run off. She internally wished he had followed her instead of Avianna which was probably very mean on her part. Breakfast She looked at him and the plate of fruit before she slowly stood and moved towards him still holding the bear by one hand and sort of just dragging him behind herself. She reached him and took the plate carefully. "I'm sorry about earlier…It's just that Cato was going on and on about how I'd changed and how we used to talk in our…" She stopped and took a breath motioning him inside the room as she went back to her bed. He was complaining about how I only talked with a mind link to people I cared about and was close to and how I wouldn't do it with him anymore and I just…I couldn't contain my rage…They both keep pushing me away yet they both have conflicting thoughts about what I do. Don't read their mind, because I don't telepathically communicate I'm distancing myself…I cannot win. It just feels so pointless. He thinks that he misses it, but he doesn't behave that way. He's trying to deduct a logical reason behind my actions Connie…And Avianna is trying to look out for everyone, and I love them both, they're family…but I told her that I wasn't going to travel with them. I said I was going with you since you don't have wings…plus they would only see me as an obstacle they had to work around. I was only useful while we were at Itex. Now I'm like scrap metal. I'm upset with both of them in a way, so I told her that we could blend in with humans much simpler than they could. You because…well you look human and me because I can change how I look. So we could hide in the city while they went somewhere. We could stay in the city to wait out the storm since I know how much you hate water. Although I'm not an adult really…I can't make good plans like Cato or Avianna. She spoke and moved to lean her head on his shoulder in an almost defeated manner as she stared at the food on the plate. She wanted to eat it, but she would feel rude eating if he wasn't so she moved the plate to offer him some of the fruit.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff