Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.----------------------------------------------- BACKGROUND

In the distant future, mankind forges into the stars in order to flee their dying homeworld and find new planets to colonize. For centuries a great exodus took place, as billions sought out new homes in the void of space and settled on uncharted new worlds. This was the great Age of Colonization.

When humanity had finally established itself among the stars, newer conflicts arose. Those who remained on Earth continued to press their control over their colonies, but this would only lead to further strife. A war took place, between the controlling government of Earth and the newly formed League of Sovereign Colonies. This war lasted longer than anyone could have imagined, and in the present era it is seen in an almost mythical light. Many worship the heroes of this war almost as divine beings, referring to them as Saints and establishing religious orders in their name.

In the present day, conflict still rages across the galaxy. The Government of Earth expands across the Milky Way, its legions defending isolated colonies from alien threats and the various independent human colonies who refuse to accept the rule of Earth. In a period of war, the military life has become a grim reality for countless billions of humans. Whether it be for the honest pay of soldiering or a nobler purpose, numberless amounts of souls choose to travel across the corridors connecting the distant points of space and face the most horrific enemies in the name of their species.

One company in particular makes a name for itself in these endless conflicts. Dorn Company, a misfit band of marines established on a backwater world and filled with recruits and veterans from across human controlled space, travel across various bizarre worlds in the defense of humanity. Whether it be rebel humans or conquering alien empires, they face their foes alongside their comrades in an endless cycle of battle.

This is the tale of those soldiers, a bare few among countless trillions. This is the tale of normal men and women, who would one day be spoken of in history books as great heroes of their time.

Character Profiles Here

OOC Here

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
      ----------------------------------------------- SETTING and GENERAL INFORMATION

The story takes place at numerous locations across the Milky Way Galaxy including Earth, human colonies, untamed alien planets, sprawling city-planets, space faring vessels, and all sorts of other exotic locals. All players will be a part of or at least affiliated with Dorn Company, a company of marines in service to the Government of Earth and its Military. This is a war RP, and while romance and drama are acceptable the focus should be on soldiering and the things associated with that. Obviously it is not completely down to Earth (no pun intended) since there are aliens and fictional technology abounding, but the focus should be on mostly normal human soldiers. While I am pretty lenient about most things, I probably won't accept genetically enhanced super Space Marines or psychic commandos.

The technology is rather advanced, and many of the weapons and vehicles players can potentially be using will be listed later. New ideas are always welcome, I am by no means the "God" of this RP even though I do retain the right to have the last word on most matters. Feel free to create the character you want to play, but do try and retain relevance to the setting and plot.

There are aliens, but humanity in this setting is largely xenophobic so don't expect to have an easy time of it if you aren't human. That doesn't mean don't play as an alien... In fact, I encourage dissension and conflict among the cast. If everyone is just nice to each-other all the time, where is the dramatic fun? Just be reasonable, and don't get upset if I critique your character. I don't intend to be controlling, but I will give my personal opinion on most things (it is one of my favorite things to do). This doesn't mean your obligated to change something I say I'm not into, unless I say you have to in order to join. It has to be pretty universe-breaking for me to go that far though, so don't be shy about your creativity.

The story will focus on a series of plot-arcs. Everyone should focus on the main conflict of each arc. If someone wants to do a separate thing, talk about it with everyone! Discuss plot in the OOC, and if everyone has an idea for a side-arc or wants to do something involving their character then we can always pull the focus away from the heavy stuff for a bit.

Have fun, and I hope everyone enjoys this universe.

Factions

The Sovereign Government of Earth:
                        Three hundred years ago, Earth was the leader of a loose confederation of colonies spread throughout the known galaxy, but its overextersion of control over the independent-minded colonies eventually lead to conflict. After the Government of Earth (often abbreviated as EarthGov) won the war, they reformed their government structure and established more direct control over the human worlds spread throughout the stars. The newly formed Sovereign Government of Earth, or the S.G.E., became the leader of a new unified human empire. While officially a democratic republic, most influential political leaders are also higher ranking military officials and the S.G.E. is effectively a military autocracy. All players will be a part of this faction unless otherwise asked or given permission by myself.

The League of Independent Colonies:
                        Barely a power anymore, the League is a barely functioning confederation of worlds independent of Earth's rule. They have no unified government, and each world manages and rules itself. The only reason they have not been conquered by EarthGov is the distant memory of the last great war between Earth and its colonies, and the knowledge that the League could be a significant force if compelled to unify.

Elective Czardom of Russar:
                        Born from the Russar civil war, the Elective Czardom is a small empire with 8 planets, including Russar itself. It has a medium sized military, with around 300 warships and 20 million soldiers. It is commonly regarded as an industrial and trade giant, however it has strong imperialist values and only has a sized down military due to the lack of a huge empire.

They are relatively unconcerned with the power of EarthGov, confident that the skill of Russar troops will defeat them. Military officers are both ground and fleet officers, meaning they hold two ranks. In the event of war between the League and EarthGov, it is likely they would supply the League and eventually join their side, hoping to diminish EarthGov's power.

----------------------------------------------- RULES

1.) No God-modding, of course. I trust everyone to be fair. This is an action based RP, and I encourage lots of fights. Just don't go one-shotting people, make sure both participants are on the same page.

2.) Please follow all Gaia rules.

3.) Be polite to everyone. If your character is a jerk or has a reason to be a jerk to a certain person, fine, but you can still treat everyone nicely in the OCC. Be fair guys, and don't spoil other people's fun.

4.) Cussing and Violence... Keep it PG-13. Nuff' Said.

5.) Romance is OK, but... Don't make it weird. That's all I ask.

6.) I have no preference to post size, just don't have one liners and make sure whoever you're interacting with has something to respond to.

7.) Feel free to PM me with questions or concerns. I'm a nice guy. Honest...

8.) Please specify in every post where your character is in the world and who they are with. You don't need to quote every person in the scene, just make sure we know where you are and who can interact with you.

9.) If you guys want to roll to see who wins a fight, that's ok, but I'd personally prefer you just decided based on story. I understand not wanting your character to lose fights, but we're not here to one up each other.

10.) Please try to keep your character relevant to the universe. I know not all of my lore is fun to read, but try and know what is and is not in the setting so I don't have to make you change stuff. That's no fun for either of us. If you aren't sure of something, ask me! I like helping people. Seriously. It makes me feel important.

11.) Communicate with each other! Don't be strangers, and your characters don't need to be strangers either. Please place a twisted in your PM so I know you read the rules.

----------------------------------------------- RULES

----------------------------------------------- CHARACTER TEMPLATE

PM this to me when you fill it out, and I'll add it to the proper post.

Gaia Username:
                        Character Name: Full name

Personality:
                        Background:

Skills:
                        Possessions: Put any family heirlooms, trinkets, or charms here. This is also a good place to specify what kind of weapon your character uses.
                        Titles: Specify whether your character has any renown. This includes noble titles or ones you were granted for services rendered to a specific group. You can obtain titles as the story progresses if you don't start with any.
                        Race: Specify what planet you are from. While everyone is human, your "race" will be determined by your world of origin. For example, someone born on the world of Dorn will be known as a "Dornish" man or woman.
                        Appearance: Place your character art here.

[b]Gaia Username:[/b]
                        [b]Character Name:[/b] Full name
                        [b]Age:[/b]
                        [b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b] Here
                        [b]Background:[/b] Here

[b]Skills:[/b]
                        [b]Possessions:[/b] Y
                        [b]Titles:[/b]
                        [b]Race:[/b]
                        [b]Appearance:[/b]

----------------------------------------------- Dorn Company

This is a list of characters in Dorn Company. Unless playing a special character, such as an antagonist or someone unaffiliated with the Company directly, you will need to choose an open spot in one of the available squads.

Commissioned Officers:
                          Company CO: Captain Oliver Redfield

Non-Ranking Personell:
                          Regimental Doctor: Artyom Rusev

1st Squad
                          Squad Leader: Staff Sergeant Micky D'amico
                          Squad Member: Butler Novac (needs rank)
                          Squad Member: Open

2nd Squad:
                          Squad Leader: Open

3rd Squad:

4th Squad:

5th Squad

(More added as needed)

A separate post will be made for antagonists later.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.----------------------------------------------- Weaponry, Technology, and General Extra Information

Feel free to suggest additions to this list, everyone is not restricted to the items here if they wish to make their character more unique. However, all additions should be able to sensibly fit with the technology discussed on this list.

Infantry Weapons

These are the weapons most commonly used by soldiers in the service of Earth and its colonies.
                    Heater Rifle:
                    This is the primary weapon type for most human infantry units. While its size, shape, and minor functionality varies widely depending on the world it is manufactured all of these standard weapons share common traits. They fire super-heated rounds of reinforced metal bullets at extremely high velocity, and while "Heater Rounds" are rather small they can cause severe damage to unarmored targets. Most heater rifles can switch between single fire and automatic rates, though some worlds have developed variants of the weapon that focus on a single mode of fire. The vast majority of soldiers are equipped with the standard Heater Rifle, and it has become the trademark of most human field regiments. Also comes in pistol and sub-machine gun variants.

HMG-77 Superheater, A.K.A. "Hell-Spitter": A stationary heavy machine gun, incredibly heavy and capable of devastating enemy infantry. Fires up to 2000 Heater-rounds a minute. While the most common stationary machine gun employed by human soldiers.

Accelerator Rifle: Operating on the same system as Heater Rifles, Accelerator guns fire superheated slugs at high velocity. Unlike regular Heater weapons, Accelerators produce far more heat and propel rounds with significantly greater force. Generally the technology is only effective on larger weaponry, such as tanks or artillery, but the personal-use Accelerator Rifle is the trademark Earth-manufactured weapon for snipers. While noisy, its slow rate of fire makes it less prone to overheating like the standard Heater Rifles and it can propel rounds even further and more accurately than the famed Coolant Rifles used by Russarite regiments.

Dornish Mortar: While not popularly used by the majority of regiments, the mixed units of the 402nd have come to favor this simple mortar weapon. While the military of Earthgov and its colonies most commonly favor long range artillery, a few veteran regiments still tend to employ out-dated pieces of equipment like this. Affectionately called the "Door-Knocker" by many members of the 402nd, this simple weapon lobs incendiary shells surprisingly long distances which can devastate enemy defensive positions. While it is often unreliable and prone to overheating much like the Hell-Spitter, it is still favored by many Dornish soldiers.

F49 Witch Bane: One of the rarest weapons employed by human soldiers, in part due to its status as an "antique" and also due to its infamous habit of endangering friendly units as easily as enemies. The "Witch Bane" is a full-body fireproof suit, complete with plated armor and a face-concealing helm, to which is attached a large tank worn on the back and a heavy flamethrower. These anti-infantry flamers are well known for their astounding kill-rates, but due to the helmets restrictive visibility and the general lack of mobility the wearer possesses, it is very common for soldiers equipped with this suit to fire on friendly units accidentally.

Vehicles and Aircraft

T-76 Hill-Breaker:
                    The trademark heavy tank of the EarthGov Military. The "Hill-Breakers" are tough and powerful mobile guns most well known for their great mobility despite their size. Armed with Accelerator Cannons, based on the same long-range technology that powers the infantry-issue Accelerator Rifle, they are capable of rolling through enemy lines like a metal battering ram or delivering powerful bombardments from long range. Unfortunately they have absolutely no defense against aircraft and have little defense against hostile infantry at close range once momentum is lost.

TT-33 "Tortoise" Ground Transport:
                    A heavily armored transport truck capable of carrying over two dozen soldiers at a time, they are well known for their reliably thick armor but notorious for their lack of speed. True to the creature the vehicle is named after, these transports are incredibly slow.

Alkrian Screamer:
                    The most famed form of support aircraft for the League, the Alkrian manufactured fighters are extremely fast and lightly armored. They are capable of maneuvering in space as easily as within planetary atmospheres, and the skill and sheer gall of their pilots are the stuff of legend. Unfortunately, the Screamer's lack of significant armor also makes casualty rates among pilots extremely high, and generally membership within these outfits are strictly voluntary, with nearly 90% of pilots being assigned to the more heavily armored Morbian Assault Fighters or the Patrissan Heavy Bombers.

A-66 Long Range Accelerator Cannon:
                    Likely the most feared piece of human engineering next to the Sky Breaker capital ships, the A-66 is an Arghastian manufactured artillery cannon which can fire high velocity 500lbs Heater rounds up to 10 miles away. They are the bane of any enemy defense, and hostile forces with knowledge of the weapon have been known to willingly suffer horrendous casualties attempting to break through League lines and destroy the artillery guns before they can be brought to bear. Not only capable of bombarding enemy lines and fortifications, they can also fire at ships suspended in the lower atmosphere, and are well feared by transport vessels especially.

Russarite Weapons and Vehicles

These are the weapons commonly used by Russarite soldiers. Don't expect to have one of these unless you take it from a dead Russar soldier, which should be viewed in RP.
                    Coolant Rifle: A type of unique rifle exclusively used by Russarite infantry units. It operates on the Coolant system, which builds up huge amounts of pressure in the weapon's barrel and then propels rounds with great accuracy. While far more accurate than Heater weapons, it takes longer to reload due to the special gas that needs to be inserted into the chamber. They generally only come in semi-fire variants, as the system does not operate well with rapid fire. Two variants are the Heavy Coolant Rifle, commonly used by Red Russarite units, and the Light Coolant Rifle favored by White Russarites. Coolant Pistols are also a common piece of equipment among Russarite infantrymen, and operate on the same system.

AR8 HMG - Stationary Heavy Machine Gun: A Russarite made stationary weapon which operates on the Coolant System. Employs a large gas tank fitted to the ammunition drum, allowing it to fire at much higher rates than the standard rifles and pistols. Unfortunately, the weight of the tank makes the weapon nearly impossible to use while mobile.

BR12 HSR - Rifle that fires heavy rounds, set on a tripod in a single position, used by all Russar units. Uses Coolant system, however as the shots it fires are heavy and explosive, it needs a much higher amount of gas, making it too heavy for a single infantry trooper to carry.

CR19 HM - Mortar, used by both Russar units. Uses the Coolant system.

----------------------------------------------- RELIGION

The Sovereign Government of Earth (S.G.E.) is a predominantly industrial and political power. That being said, centuries of conflict and isolation have given rise to varying religious forces among the scattered remnants of humanity. The most influential and predominant religious power across all human-controlled worlds is the worship of the Saints; these legendary figures are the heroes of humanity during the great Exodus and the great war between the League of Sovereign Colonies and EarthGov centuries ago. While likely simply normal humans to begin with, these mythical figures are still worshiped by various cults which have seen sharp rises in both their cultural and political influence in recent times.

Feel free to come up with your own Saints if you want a religious character. I will not provide a list, as I feel this is an aspect of the universe best left to some freedom of thought on the part of participants.

Common tropes of Saint worship are the use of heavy symbolic tattoos and various kinds of small idols or keepsakes. It is generally easy to pick apart a Saint Cultist by their self-decoration.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff