Welcome to Gaia! ::

I find myself saying that whenever I feel stuck thinking too much about what to write and i get to typing quickly the first thing at the top of my mind.

What sort of things do you do to get yourself to get back to writing after a pause?

Dapper Man-Lover

7,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Generous 100
I sit and listen to my favourite albums.
Or watching a particularly moving episode from a favourite show.
I have a few musicians and a few different playlists/albums I listen to when I'm trying to get back to writing.
I also find that talking to a friend and actually visualizing the space where I want the story to take place in (what objects are there, who is there, what the place looks like, how dark it is, etc) also helps a lot when I'm trying to continue a story or trying to figure out a place where the story really starts. If you visualize your place, try looking around for objects you didn't know were there, or try zooming out of your place (think 'bird's eye view') to find out if there are other things you maybe didn't know were going on. Looking for conflict this way is also good. Where there is conflict or tension, there is usually a story to be had!
Another foolproof way to get back to writing if you haven't in a while is FREEWRITING. Freewriting is awesome. Just write whatever thoughts float through your mind (no matter how nonsensical they are) until you start formulating a story. This is always fun because I usually end up going from random strings of curse words to an actual srs bsns story.

AurinJade's Wife

write or die. if i'm stubborn not to write on my own, write or die forces me. then i get to spend ten minutes editing despite that going against everything nanowrimo stands for. don't judge me. >.>;

Stellar Bunny

17,975 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I just write, because I'm madly in love with writing. Also, while my iPod is with me, everything is okay. The only thing stopping me is my homework. sweatdrop

Wheezing Lunatic

I am not yet done.
>>>>>>>>>>

Right now? Towns, lol. I'm working towards the Golden Giftbox formula. When I find I'm in trouble, I just hunt for paper and flowers for a while, then return, and voila, I can vomit more words.

But on other times, music and food get me back to writing.

<<<<<<<<<<

WITNESS.
If I push myself to write more than my inspiration will allow, it comes out being really horrible quality. >w>;; So I just let things sit the way they are. I doubt I'll complete NaNo this year, because my lazy days have been far too many, and my inspiration is suffering.
And it's annoying that people have already completed their 50k word count.
I'm not even at 10k. But I like to secretly tell myself it's because their stuff isn't very good, because they clearly rushed through it.. xD
BadassUke
I sit and listen to my favourite albums.
Or watching a particularly moving episode from a favourite show.

I usually get distracted watching T.V or anime xd
Mutant Husband Erik
I have a few musicians and a few different playlists/albums I listen to when I'm trying to get back to writing.
I also find that talking to a friend and actually visualizing the space where I want the story to take place in (what objects are there, who is there, what the place looks like, how dark it is, etc) also helps a lot when I'm trying to continue a story or trying to figure out a place where the story really starts. If you visualize your place, try looking around for objects you didn't know were there, or try zooming out of your place (think 'bird's eye view') to find out if there are other things you maybe didn't know were going on. Looking for conflict this way is also good. Where there is conflict or tension, there is usually a story to be had!
Another foolproof way to get back to writing if you haven't in a while is FREEWRITING. Freewriting is awesome. Just write whatever thoughts float through your mind (no matter how nonsensical they are) until you start formulating a story. This is always fun because I usually end up going from random strings of curse words to an actual srs bsns story.

lol curse words! xd Something similar to the free-writing thing happened to me once. I don't remember where i was or what i was doing, but i randomly thought of these words: "Thousand year sale"
i don't know why i thought it, i just did, and from there, i got, 3 characters that i LOVE! an entire WORLD plus a netherworld, a cute/psycho villain, henchmen, antagonists, and the setting for a never ending story xd
All from those 3 words
Muffers
write or die. if i'm stubborn not to write on my own, write or die forces me. then i get to spend ten minutes editing despite that going against everything nanowrimo stands for. don't judge me. >.>;

eek Wow, that's really extreme xd but i like where you're going with that. I have to force myself to stop trying to edit. What i don't know or think should be changed, I put in bold and underline with an asterisk at the end just so i'd notice/remember xD
NO judging here! blaugh
Eliza Rain
I just write, because I'm madly in love with writing. Also, while my iPod is with me, everything is okay. The only thing stopping me is my homework. sweatdrop

It must be nice to not stop writing T-T i can't help but stop every time i write about 5 words (unless i'm really inspired on a scene for that i write continuously until the scene ends) I'm more of an artist than a writer gonk
Chouryou
I am not yet done.
>>>>>>>>>>

Right now? Towns, lol. I'm working towards the Golden Giftbox formula. When I find I'm in trouble, I just hunt for paper and flowers for a while, then return, and voila, I can vomit more words.

But on other times, music and food get me back to writing.

<<<<<<<<<<

WITNESS.

Lol towns, my internet is too crappy for Towns ._.
Hooray for word vomit xd
I usually get food every five minutes that i'm not writing. Music distracts me in the begining, but once it turns to background music i am perfectly synced to my thoughts and writing smile

P.S Food: d(^-^)
Pumpkin the Bird
If I push myself to write more than my inspiration will allow, it comes out being really horrible quality. >w>;; So I just let things sit the way they are. I doubt I'll complete NaNo this year, because my lazy days have been far too many, and my inspiration is suffering.
I'm not even at 10k. But I like to secretly tell myself it's because their stuff isn't very good, because they clearly rushed through it.. xD

What's worse is when your mind goes on blank gonk (Always my problem) I completely understand the whole lazy days, :/ and as far as my inspiration, i don't let myself get inspired in the shower when i get my best inspiration, because i am NEVER near my computer or a notebook to writ it all in gonk

It's only been 8 days! How did they do that?! :O
I haven't reached 10k either v.v
Aroma therapy. I have this one lotion that smells like berries that helps a lot. Rub it in to my sore back and go quiet for a moment. It helps.
Raia Arimary
Pumpkin the Bird

What's worse is when your mind goes on blank gonk (Always my problem) I completely understand the whole lazy days, :/ and as far as my inspiration, i don't let myself get inspired in the shower when i get my best inspiration, because i am NEVER near my computer or a notebook to writ it all in gonk

It's only been 8 days! How did they do that?! :O
I haven't reached 10k either v.v

Someone did 50k in 5 days. :C But they might've cheated.
I'm almost at 9k now. It feels slow, but I'm happy with my latest pieces of writing <3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff