Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Senshi

User Image
The Merriam-Webster Word of the Day NaNoWriMo Challenge

Current Word of the Day:Abbreviate

Definition:
verb
: to make briefer; especially : to reduce to a shorter form intended to stand for the whole

Shadowy Senshi

Greetings and salutations wordsmith!

Welcome to my 3rd year hosting this thread, I'm happy to be doing it again and look forward to the twists and challenges that M-W throws our way next month!

For those looking for an extra challenge on top of writing 50,000 words for this years NaNoWriMo, this thread is for you. The goal is to use each word of the day from the Merriam Webster’s website somewhere in your NaNo novel for the month of November.

It’s an excellent way to grow your vocabulary and wordcount, but sometimes M-W throws a word at you that makes zero sense to have in your novel. So accept this challenge at your own risk to novel integrity. You will grapple with words you have never heard before, fighting them until they obediently find their place. Or you will find words that inspire new ideas or plot point you may have never imagined!

Or you might get some really simple words that fit perfectly and will win you some Gaia gold just by using them! dramallama

Shadowy Senshi

Rules

Every day, I will have the word posted in the first post of this thread, as well as a running log of all past words for your reference. Alternately, you can follow the updates on Merriam Webster's website in case I'm having a busy day and don't get around to updating the thread till later in the evening.

General Rules

● Participants are welcome to join at anytime from here on till the end of November just remember you'll be playing catch up!
● This should be obvious but you must follow Gaia ToS .
● Another obvious one: treat everyone in this thread with respect .
● Have a question? Post it in the thread! I'm happy to help.
● I have the right to penalize those who refuse to follow any of the rules.
● I also reserve the right to change and add rules as they are needed.

Giveaway Rules

● Post the participant form [below] in the thread.
● If you win a prize, you have one week to claim it. After that, I'm canceling the trade.
● Notify me when you hit the 50,000 word mark, using the form [below].
● Do not plagiarize. Another obvious one.
● And one last obvious guy: Do not cheat by using something already written.

Word of the Day Rules

● Every day of NaNo, use Merriam-Webster's word of the day (WotD) at least once in your novel.
● Variations of the word are acceptable (plural, different part of speech, etc.), so long as the meaning is the same.
● If the word is not used correctly in your sentence, it will not count toward your total. I have the final say on whether or not it was used correctly, though you may contest my decision via PM.
● The WotD must be used in context for you to get a point. Your MC professing, "Gosh, I really hate the word (WOTD)!" Will not be a point. Use the definition of the word, not just the word itself, in your sentence.
● Going back to use missed words is acceptable, should you take a day off, or join late.
● Post the sentence in which you used each WotD here on the thread, using the form below, and I will keep a tally next to your info in the list of how many word challenges you have completed successfully.
● Use all the words, win prizes! There may be smaller prizes for those who don't quite make it there, depending on how successful we all end up being.

Forms

Participant Form:

[b]Gaia Username:[/b]
[b]NaNoWriMo Username:[/b]
[b]NaNoWriMo Profile URL:[/b] [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/YOURUSERNAME]http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/YOURUSERNAME[/url]
[b]NaNo Novel Title:[/b] If Applicable
[b]NaNo Novel Link:[/b] If Applicable

WotD Sentence Form:
[b][color=#33cccc]Today's Word[/color][/b]: WotD Here
[b][color=#33cccc]Sentence[/color][/b]: Your Sentence Here

When you hit 50k words, please fill out the following and post it in the thread:
[align=center][size=24][color=black][b]I, [color=#769A8C][insert Gaia username here][/color], have made it to 50,000 words![/b][/color][/size][/align]

Shadowy Senshi

Words of the Month

Nov. 30th: abbreviate
Nov. 29th: vicious circle
Nov. 28th: heterodox
Nov. 27th: nostrum
Nov. 26th: crabwise
Nov. 25th: pelagic
Nov. 24th: Job's comforter
Nov. 23rd: recusant
Nov. 22nd: shrive
Nov. 21st: golden handcuffs
Nov. 20th: weal
Nov. 19th: officious
Nov. 18th: leitmotif
Nov. 17th: Rife
Nov. 16th: Meliorism
Nov. 15h: execrable
Nov. 14th: devise
Nov. 13th: threnody
Nov. 12th: hallowed
Nov. 11th: anodyne
Nov. 10th: egregious
Nov. 9th: injunction
Nov. 8th: Byzantine
Nov. 7th: prototype
Nov, 6th: chouse
Nov. 5th: Trenchant
Nov. 4th: demagogue
Nov. 3rd: fusty
Nov. 2nd: malapropism
Nov. 1st: simplistic

Shadowy Senshi

Participants

See the Rules post for the participation form.
Names listed in RED have reached 50k.
All 50kers will be checked for verification
before completion prizes will be given.

Feel free to reference this spreadsheet to know which words you have completed.
It is also updated more often than this post.

gaia username || NaNo username || Novel Title/Link || WotD Tally

Alberic of Krufton || Alberic of Krufton || Seiche || 30
I Celestial Princess I || CelestialPrincess || The World Ends with You || 30
cjaoov || barefootsierra || Red 72 || 30

Lady Lagomorph || Caldella || There and Elsewhere || 2
KittKatt007 || KittKattNoms || Unnamed || 7
Morsuaile || Fin || The Monarchy || 30

Overlord Aemsy Love || Aemsy || Ryder Orgins || 2
Psychotic Maniacal Sanity || Kitty Taylor || The Bitter End || 30
Sayuri Nonomura || FloatingOnAir || What's Left Behind || 30
smutty cannibal prince || student4ever || Flightless || 1

TheVillainessWildcard || OnceIWasAnubis || Fae-Ry || 30
Whimsicaldreamer || Whimsicaldreamer || Burning Stones || 30
W00FlE || The Manic Writer || Secret Keeper || 2

Your Baconess || Your Baconess || Fighting For Change || 30
Yutora || leshae || we spoke in explosions || 30

Also staring our Special Guest:
Da Flea || 5
Supias || Pipers Lament || 6

Shadowy Senshi

Prizes

What kind of prizes can I win?
● Challenge prizes: If you complete the NaNo challenge (50k words) but don't use every word of the month you will receive 5k gold for each successful sentence you write.

● Completion prizes: Everyone participating in this event who completes NaNo (hits 50,000 words) while using all 30 words
will receive a certain percentage of what is left over once all the 5k prizes have been handed out. To be determined based on prize pot size. In order to be eligible
for this prize, you must post in this thread when you have reached the goal before 12:00pmEST
December 1st.

● Event Prizes: Should any special events arise, these will be applicable!

Prize Pool

I'm going to start us off with 1bil in the prize pool which will be divided up amongst people who complete the challenge.

1bil donation from Anon! heart
1bil donation from W00FlE! heart
5bil donation from Supias heart heart
52bil donation from Seraphimstarlight! eek heart

Current Total;
60,000,000, 000 gold

Donations are greatly appreciated, if you'd like to contribute send me (Morsuaile) a trade or PM titled MW Donation heart heart

Shadowy Senshi

Lia's Flash Word Challenge!

As a special treat this year LiaThistle is running a side challenge along with our daily word challenge. She will be issuing these challenges at her leisure so best to check this thread for new posts as often as possible during the month.

As the time restraint ads an extra level of difficulty to this challenge the monetary prizes will be even bigger than the prizes given out for regular WotD words. So stay tuned!

Rules

● When LiaThistle announces a Word Flash!, there will be a time and/or a winner limit. Your post must be under the time and/or the current word's winner limit from when she posts.
● Variations of the word are acceptable (plural, different part of speech, etc.), so long as the meaning is the same.
● If the word is not used correctly in your sentence, it will not count. Lia has the final say on whether or not it was used correctly, though you may contest her decision via PM to her.
● The word must be used in context for you to get credit. Your MC professing, "Gosh, I really hate the word (word)!" is not valid. Use the definition of the word, not just the word itself, in your sentence.
● Sorry, no missed words here.
● Quote LiaThistle to get noticed and be eligible.
● Please claim your prizes within two days. Lia will distribute them.

Shadowy Senshi

Links

NaNoWriMo.org - Official Website for National Novel Writing Month

NaNoWriMo Hangout 2014 - Official NaNo thread here on Gaia. Place to hang out, chat, participate in word wars and feel supported in your writing cause!

Extra Info

This thread and challenge only exists because of all the work HiddenHijinx put into building it years ago. Pretty much everything that exist here in this thread is their intellectual property and I make no claim to it! I'm just hosting the thread this year in a way to give back to the excellent writing community here 3nodding

If you are interested in the words that came about the last few years and how things went down, check out this older threads!

Word of the Day Challenge 2011

Word of the Day Challenge 2012

Word of the Day Challenge 2013

Nuclear Werewolf

Huzzah!

/throws confetti

Think I'd be game this year. cat_3nodding

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
This sounds fun!

Revered Nerd

Gaia Username:Whimsicaldreamer
NaNoWriMo Username:Whimsicaldreamer
NaNoWriMo Profile URL:http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/whimsicaldreamer
NaNo Novel Title: Burning Stones
NaNo Novel Link: Not Applicable

Shadowy Senshi

Madam Chai
This sounds fun!

It's usually a very crazy ride that is definitely fun! ...at parts. Most parts even!

Join ussss Al. Join usssssssss!

@Whimsi - Check!

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
Morsuaile
Madam Chai
This sounds fun!

It's usually a very crazy ride that is definitely fun! ...at parts. Most parts even!

Join ussss Al. Join usssssssss!

@Whimsi - Check!

Crazy is part of the fun ^.^

Nuclear Werewolf

Guess it's time to make it official.

Gaia Username: Alberic of Krufton
NaNoWriMo Username: Alberic of Krufton
NaNoWriMo Profile URL: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/alberic-of-krufton
NaNo Novel Title: Seiche
NaNo Novel Link: Seiche on GDocs!

Day Tracker
Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3/4/5