Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Just interested in the different tools that everyone is using to write (either hardware or software, whatever is interesting).

I am ashamed to admit that I'm using Emacs for my novel, with Markdown for basic formatting. I'm such a geek!

Dapper Exhibitionist

I had to look up those two things. I'm not using either of them, but my NaNoWriMo experience differs from the norm. Why did you choose those over just using a basic word processor?

Fatcat

I am such a noob at this. My word processer is Microsoft Word. 4laugh

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
User Image I'm the devout. Praying just to get the blood out. Bound by this flesh I own. User Image

User Image
I was thinking I was going to have to use Wordpad. Then I remembered that I had Mircosoft Word.
User Image

User Image I'm the devout. Cutting just to get the blood out. Desecrate 'til we die alone. User Image

High-functioning Garbage

24,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
I'm dictating a lot of my novel using a speech recognition program. I speak and think a lot faster than I type and when I get on a roll I cannot keep up if I'm not talking. Then, I go back and edit.

5,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
ZaiaFantasy
I'm dictating a lot of my novel using a speech recognition program. I speak and think a lot faster than I type and when I get on a roll I cannot keep up if I'm not talking. Then, I go back and edit.

If ever I get a microphone for my laptop, I will do this. It probably makes things so much easier... emotion_kirakira

I am using the latest version OpenOffice, and when I'm not on the computer, I have small notebooks I carry with me to jot notes in. 3nodding

High-functioning Garbage

24,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
The Simple C
ZaiaFantasy

If ever I get a microphone for my laptop, I will do this. It probably makes things so much easier... emotion_kirakira

I am using the latest version OpenOffice, and when I'm not on the computer, I have small notebooks I carry with me to jot notes in. 3nodding

It makes my life much easier in the month of November. The software was expensive but for all the writing I do it's worth it.

5,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
ZaiaFantasy
The Simple C
ZaiaFantasy

It makes my life much easier in the month of November. The software was expensive but for all the writing I do it's worth it.

What software are you using? The only software like that I'm familiar with is DragonSpeak, which does not like my Southern drawl. confused

High-functioning Garbage

24,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
The Simple C
ZaiaFantasy
The Simple C
ZaiaFantasy

What software are you using? The only software like that I'm familiar with is DragonSpeak, which does not like my Southern drawl. confused

Dragon is what I'm using. It likes my lack of an accent well enough but it doesn't like how fast I speak sometimes. Editing take a lot less time than typing, though, I assure you.

9,825 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
I'm using Scrivener -- it's a really fantastic program, designed for novel-writing/screenplays, but also very easy to use for anything that might require lots of documents/research around the same topic. Each Scrivener document is basically one big file that allows the creation of documents and folders within it; I like to separate my documents based on material (one for setting, one for plot points, one for quotes, etc), so Scrivener really simplified things.

It's not free, unfortunately, but it is immensely useful, and I use it for plenty of other projects throughout the year. Definitely recommend it :3

Wealthy Genius

9,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
Using Wordpad Since my Microsoft Word Expired. But I'm probably gonna host it on my website so I can have access to it from anywhere biggrin

Eloquent Dabbler

11,450 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200
ilu panagrammic emotion_kirakira heart

I'm using google docs and openoffice on vista (ewwwwww)
I have a PC and I'm too cheap to pay for ms word. lol

Romantic Seeker

writemonkey.

it is the most ace program for nano.
just a big blank screen with text (and typewriter noises, if you are so inclined).
it's totally free and fantastic.

High-functioning Garbage

24,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
mademoiselle jaques
writemonkey.

it is the most ace program for nano.
just a big blank screen with text (and typewriter noises, if you are so inclined).
it's totally free and fantastic.

typewriter noise for the win
I've actually been using google documents since I don't have a word processor. I like that it saves automatically, and I can write from my phone if need be.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff