Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Prophet

Alluicious
Anyone else entirely dependent on Write or Die to get their daily word count? If I don't use it, I'm slow as hell and I spent half my time thinking instead of writing.

I love Write or Die! Keeps me from editing too much.

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Do you have an idea yet?
Somewhat. ^_^ I have some characters' names, general idea, and some character development.

Are you planning it out beforehand or writing by the seat of your pants?
Little bit of both. Little bit of planning, but mostly by the seat of my pants. I keep feeling like if I try to do too much planning it's just gonna end up as me starting to write xD.

Have you done NaNo before?
Once, last year. Didn't win. Just makes me more determined to succeed this year!

Any tips for new NaNo participants?
Find others who are just as crazy as you are for attempting this. Word wars were my saviour last year. I couldn't use Write or Die (it made me way too anxious lol). But! I just kept an eye on the time or whatever.

Only other tip I can offer is to try to find your mojo. Whether that be time of day, location, technique (like sprints, for me), or planning. Find your niche, crawl in and then make yourself comfortable.

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Morigale
Hi guys. D:
Anyone else using Yarny for their outline and/or novel?

Oh my god. Thank you. As of now, YES YES YES. It looks amazing!!

Interesting Sophomore

I'm going to try and do NaNo this year. But, now that I'm a freshman in college, homework has completely taken over my life. D:
Do you have an idea yet? No crying I better get working on that...
Are you planning it out beforehand or writing by the seat of your pants? I want to plan a little bit at least. A main character will give me some direction.
Have you done NaNo before? Not completely done, no...
Any tips for new NaNo participants? Never give up. Look Mom, I'm a hypocrite!

Backwoods Abomination

Anyone have any suggestions for downloadable floor plans or floor plan-making software? I am determined to work out exactly what Nick's shop/house looks like and not just wing it like I usually do.

(In unrelated news, can anyone recommend a program for getting files off a possibly-corrupted hard drive? I've run through several different demos and they seem to either have trouble finding my art files, my writing files or both. The latest one I tried seems to be flat-out lying, because it's all 'Totally got your files, yo!' but when I hit preview even the text files are a garbled mess of symbols.

Oh god I am so pissed off about losing one art piece I was working on. I mean it was just a fanart of a character nobody but me liked but it was close to the best thing I'd ever done.)

Beau

whimsicaldreamer
Alluicious
Anyone else entirely dependent on Write or Die to get their daily word count? If I don't use it, I'm slow as hell and I spent half my time thinking instead of writing.

I have never used it though I think I might this year just to see what it is like. I sounds interesting.
I usually do not have a problem with being slow so I never felt a need to use it, plus the deleting what I have typed scared me off. Now I know you can set it. It could change up my white font when slow method.

the problem I have with the idea of using a white font / turning off your computer monitor is the possibility of typing huge chunks of nonsense by accident or losing track. Write or Die is a hundred times better at getting you to write without stopping to think for too long. Plus it counts words as you type!

and yeah, dont go for the insane settings, haha.

6,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Morigale
Hi guys. D:

I think I' going to live on that for the next month. I'm so bad about being distracted by the internet xD
Might use if for essay writing, too. x3

Also, question. What's this Write or Die? Sounds hardcore 0.o

Dapper Codger

I wasn't going to do NaNo this year, but then I remembered how much fun I had on the NaNoWriMo thread last year and I waaaaant to. I won last year (I had a rough outline), but I have no idea and no outline this year. I'm thinking I want to so something high fantasy, though. Which means I really should have started world-building a month ago, but this is how I do things, apparently. I have a creative writing class with a 10-page piece due the 7th, so I may use the beginning of my NaNo for that if it turns out alright. Eh.

Gracious Ladykiller

I figured I may as well do NaNoWriMo this year because I know that I wouldn't be doing anything else fun this year (I'm a senior~). I don't even have an outline for anything yet. D:

Liberal Shapeshifter

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
1st year and gonna try, Problem is IDK if i can get it done on time. If anyone has tips on how to manage time for this would be awsomez if u contact me plz!

Revered Nerd

hairbun503

If you are worried about having the story finished by the end of the 50k, then my advice would be to plan out where you should be in your story at certain word counts/dates and try to stay to that.
If it is just making sure you can get the 50k written I advise you to set aside a specific time each day where you will have nothing else to do so you can get your word count done. You will want to find out how long it takes you to get the 1667 words done so you know how much time to give yourself.
The main thing is to make sure you keep up with your word count.
If you find yourself stuck post in this thread or send me a message, my account is the same on Nano.

Distinct Lunatic

7,650 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Friendly 100
I going to get myself started int his forum early on so I can keep in touch with all the crazy nanoers. Even when you think you can't write any more. Write or else I will send the lovely videos that made some Gaians happy last year. (AKA) if you are reading this. I'm giving santa a pikachu for christmas and a resident evil slash pokemon rendition of must be santa smile )
Now.

I have an idea planed. It is also outlined because I've been wanting to write this novel for like ever and so now I can't wait to start.

So thus the answer from above it is already planned out. now to expand and make it into a novel.

I have nanoed for two years and am succesful in both last year was done in 19 days!

If you don't know what to write. write a tiny side story amidst the real story about the plot monkeys talking about what was happening before you lost inspiration to write something, The plot monkeys will talk about their favorite character and....just write......

So. I shall make myself a part of this thread. posting word wars and what else just like last year....who all from last years thread is posting here again....can't say I will remember....

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Felix Velarius Bos
Morigale
Hi guys. D:

I think I' going to live on that for the next month. I'm so bad about being distracted by the internet xD
Might use if for essay writing, too. x3

Also, question. What's this Write or Die? Sounds hardcore 0.o

If I'm remembering right, Write or Die is a website where a person must write. Or else.

Okay, they don't really die, but if you pause in your writing for a certain period of time, the program will do something to annoy you. It'll play songs or sound clips that are just jarring. I wasn't involved with Nano last year, but the year before that my friends and I used that program when we really needed to get some writing done. They kept headphones on so we weren't annoying anyone at the coffee house. It was funny to see my friends jump when they paused for too long.

Dapper Fatcat

Lulz I finally got around to finding this year's NaNo thread. Even though I still am subscribed to last year's xD

ARE YOU GUYS READY FOR THIS?

Also, intruding on the previous conversation of WoD, there's also a mode where if you stop for too long it will start deleting your words. That's the super hardcore version though, which I am scared to try ._.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff