Welcome to Gaia! ::

Moonlight Pirate

So I normally leave my projects up on my computer for days on end without closing them. Most of the time it's artwork, since I don't usually write. But this time I was writing, and I had made it to a couple thousand words.

Then my computer restarted, leaving me at 86 words. So now I'm going to use this as a chance to write my beginning "chapter" (I'm not writing in chapters) much better than I did last time. (Also, yeah yeah. I know I should save my work more often. >.> wink

But now I forgot how to start. There are so many ways I could do it, and I don't know what the best way to go about it is. Do I introduce my fictional universe? Explain the huge problem that's more specific to the world the story takes place on? Simply introduce my main character?

I have quite a few things to establish before I get the plot going, and I want to keep it as interesting as possible, and not drag things along too fast. I just don't know how to go about it.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Yeah, save more often. I rarely shut off my computer, but I save before I get off for the night. It's saved my bacon a few times as my computers have a warped sense of humor sometimes. I got up this morning to hear it just boot up on its own. I had to reopen my two nano novels and research (which I keep up all the time), but hadn't lost anything.

Sorry you have to rewrite everything. Just think, it'll be better the second time around.

Moonlight Pirate

Fireweed_honey
Yeah, save more often. I rarely shut off my computer, but I save before I get off for the night. It's saved my bacon a few times as my computers have a warped sense of humor sometimes. I got up this morning to hear it just boot up on its own. I had to reopen my two nano novels and research (which I keep up all the time), but hadn't lost anything.

Sorry you have to rewrite everything. Just think, it'll be better the second time around.

Yeah, it was just a brain lapse. I already know to do this, because I have to do it all the time when working on an art project.

But unlike art, I have no real writing experience. I don't know how to restart from scratch and make it good. Blank canvases are a playground. Blank word documents... not so much.

I need tips. =I

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Nomad Realta
Fireweed_honey

Yeah, it was just a brain lapse. I already know to do this, because I have to do it all the time when working on an art project.

But unlike art, I have no real writing experience. I don't know how to restart from scratch and make it good. Blank canvases are a playground. Blank word documents... not so much.

I need tips. =I

Can't help you with how to restart. I have no idea what your novel is about. Just start off with the whole "once upon a time" and go from there.
Just write what comes into your head. That's what I try and do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff