Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Zealot

10,225 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
Long day at work. Gonna try for a 2k push, but no promises.

bunniechan7's Waifu

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
Alrighty. Most word count is literally only in the hundreds today. But I kinda expected that, with karate and all. I'll try to punch out a few more before bed and fury-write tomorrow, maybe.

Galanor Brightey

Late reply is late, but I'd be willing to, if you still want. Remember that your set scenarios can always change as you go. My whole first chapter or two was only partially how I'd imaged, and my MC is developing a backstory she wasn't originally supposed to have (do you have a permit to create these memories without my permission, Claire?!).

myths_rock

Glad you figured it out! Augh, all that green on your calendar. I'm embarrassed about mine. sweatdrop

- L u n a A s t r i d -

Welcome to the thread, Luna! I bounce around between both this thread and the main. I've gotten addicted to Write or Die, too. It's really encouraging for me. Nothing like pressure to force you to work!

Serif Marak

Sucks that the park disappointed you, but wow, Yellowstone! That's one place I want to visit at some point. I bet it's gorgeous out there in autumn, too.

Also, hello and welcome to anyone else who joined I haven't said hi to yet. Now, off to write!

Hallowed Shapeshifter

14,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Signature Look 250
Lady Lagomorph

Yeah, sure. Let me see here... It's just a loose summary paragraph, but xp

Skylar crashes on an unexplored planet inhabited by the monstrous but seemingly good-natured Ka’Axet. He discovers that there is an alien species called the Iskarro about to wipe out both of their worlds and potentially the galaxy. During the rescue mission to find Skylar, the human party is attacked and destroyed by the enemy; Ka’Axet contact human government but are blamed for attack. Enemy realizes that the Ka’Axet have been preparing defenses and destroy them before they are launched. Skylar helps Ka’Axet come up with new strategy to fight the Iskarro and contacts Earth government. Iskarro are disbanded by Ka’Axet, humans, and from the inside.

I dunno. I guess it just needs more kick or something. Not thrilled with it. x3

Versatile Sex Symbol

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Lady Lagomorph

All those greens signify the astounding amount of holidays I have received, and my reds are the damning times of having no inspiration what-so-ever!
I believe I have added you up on NaNo, right?
Galanor Brighteye

Your summary skills seem better than mine. You ask me for a summary and I have no idea what to write in it! It comes out as total bull! Which reminds me I need to think up something better than what I have written as summary up on the site.

bunniechan7's Waifu

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
Galanor Brighteye

Sounds like it has plenty of kick to it, just a lot of technical details that will need hammered out as you go, especially since it's kind of centric around culture/politics/weaponry/war.

I'd say establishing the basic factors of each culture is important, so they're distinct without being cookie cutter. You could also figure out why Skylar crashed and why the Ka'Axet would be willing to help him. That'll help you figure out a bit more about their culture as you go, too, in theory.

You could also determine how the Ka’Axet perceive themselves and play off of that. If they realize they look monstrous, maybe they're more cautious about revealing themselves or interacting with Skylar at first. If they don't have any notion that they might look frightening, I'd imagine Skylar would be terrified, and probably act a little ridiculous by their notions.

Is there an aspect of story-creating that you love the best? Maybe use that as the springboard for "oomph." I'm a big fan of characters - if I don't take an interest in any of the main characters too quickly, or if I find myself getting irritated with their decisions, I usually can't make it through a story. The "from the inside" part interested me in your summary, so my curiosity went straight to wondering if the Iskarro have a potential traitor, spy, or double-agent in their midst. If so, why and how the individual got in that position? Granted, that probably wouldn't come into play 'til later, but the factors of how and why might affect how you portray the Iskarro, or the Ka’Axet's history with them.

And with that, I end my word vomit. neutral I'm not really sure if any of that helps, but it's what I thought of based on the synopsis you gave.

myths_rock

Yes, we're NanoWriMo site buddies! I'm jealous of your holidays, though I don't want to jump to conclusions in case that's not a good thing for you.

Hallowed Shapeshifter

14,675 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Signature Look 250
Lady Lagomorph

Actually, it was very helpful. It made me feel better about the plot as a whole, at the very least, and it got me thinking about developing the characters further. I was going to delve into the stories of each race, what their cultures are like, and how humans have changed from today to where they are in the story. Thanks so much! Heh, I feel a lot better now and I'm gonna move forward with this, hammering out the detail as I go. You're awesome. razz

Angelic Bunny

9,525 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
See, I figure I'll do it next year. I literally JUST started RPing again to hone my writing skills and by god am I awful. gonk

Versatile Sex Symbol

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Lady Lagomorph

Actually I have a month of study holidays, in which I am going to be doing very little studies, and then exams for a whole month and then another month of proper holidays.
But I can't seem to get myself to sit down and study, or write.
It's like all my inspiration went poof.
GardeniaSky
See, I figure I'll do it next year. I literally JUST started RPing again to hone my writing skills and by god am I awful. gonk

You can use the shift key. You're way ahead of a lot of people.

Besides, the month is just about writing. Fix what isn't great later. Or RP and have fun, that's awesome too.

bunniechan7's Waifu

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
Galanor Brighteye

Glad I could help a little, and good luck with your story!

myths_rock

I totally understand the no-inspiration thing. Especially the studying. I got good grades in school/college, but I didn't study a whole lot. I usually either knew the info. or didn't, and studying only made a temporary difference for something like a test. Maybe set a certain amount of pages to study or something before you can do any of your fun hobby stuff for the day? It's a pain to try to keep to, but at least it's a bit of encouragement. For NaNoWriMo writing, I've found the Write or Die program motivates me - nothing like a screen flashing red or starting to delete your words to encourage you to keep going!

GardeniaSky

Why don't you make your goal for this month to map out a potential story for next year?

Lonely Zealot

10,225 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
Hello, beloved WriMo's!

I've been slacking lately. But, when it comes to killing a character, decisions cannot be made lightly.
That being said, winter has arrived in Montana and that means that my days have gotten longer.
I'm not long optimistic about FINISHING by the end of the month, but I will still be participating as time allows.
As things stand, I will be spending most of Saturday at a coffee shop. I find that it is difficult to focus on something like this long term in the same seat that I derp about on the internet on a regular basis. So, hopefully the change of scenery will help.

Versatile Sex Symbol

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Lady Lagomorph

Whew, both those suggestions are really good, but I seemed to have managed to get my inspiration back, it was a pep-talk one from Aarti Raman.
And my studies, well I used your idea (with chapters instead of pages) and it's working beautifully! Thanks.
Happy to see that green back on my NaNo!
Stuck on a motivation of a character.

I finally planned ahead a bit, though, so I can get something done without it.

bunniechan7's Waifu

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
Good luck continuing, Serif Marak. We got our first snow flurries Thursday here where I life, though I'm sure nothing like anything happening out in Montana.

Myths:
Glad to see you've got your inspiration back! I used write or die to push through my hard areas in teh story. I'm not happy with them, but it gets the out of the way and able to move on...I'm glad I could help a little - and glad to see the green back, too!

Moral:
Tricky characters are frustrating. I saw a neat pep talk on NaNoWriMos Facebook page that suggested putting a couple different characters in the same situation - how do they react differently? It was an interesting concept for diversifying them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff