Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
I've been working on this story in my head, and I decided to use NaNoWriMo as a means to finally finish a story. I have great ideas, the chapter mapped out, and calculated how much I need in each chapter.

But sometimes, I'm just at a loss for words at how to present the next thing in each chapter. Any spark ideas?

/discuss
Things that spark your ideas on your own original stuff.
My personal rule for NaNo:

When in doubt on how to describe something, fall back on the most basic way of description.

If you just can't figure out how to write out the fight between those two feisty character, just write "and then they fought and beat the s**t out of each other". If you are at a loss how to describe the travel from one city to another, don't fuss around; "They went from City A to village C and it took them over a week. It was very boring and nothing worth mentioning happened."

NaNo is all about letting go. You can always go back and add to the scene (another personal rule: it's okay to read back as long as you add words, not delete them).

You can't have a spark 30 succesive days (if you do, I hate you and am insanely jealous), but it will come back. Make peace with the days you don't have it and plow through.

5,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Yishami
My personal rule for NaNo:

When in doubt on how to describe something, fall back on the most basic way of description.

If you just can't figure out how to write out the fight between those two feisty character, just write "and then they fought and beat the s**t out of each other". If you are at a loss how to describe the travel from one city to another, don't fuss around; "They went from City A to village C and it took them over a week. It was very boring and nothing worth mentioning happened."

NaNo is all about letting go. You can always go back and add to the scene (another personal rule: it's okay to read back as long as you add words, not delete them).

You can't have a spark 30 succesive days (if you do, I hate you and am insanely jealous), but it will come back. Make peace with the days you don't have it and plow through.

Thanks a lot. Really helps.

I've been managing to have sparks every day so far, writing down different parts in random order. Although, It's not as much as I would want it to be. So I'm going to try to get 8,000 words in this weekend.
KT_JDDD

Always happy to help out a fellow NaNo-er! blaugh Good luck reaching your goal! I really need to get off my a** and start writing again, too. Today, I've done nothing but procrastinate yet sweatdrop
I'm not participating in NANO but I have written stories before
It may just be my style of writing but I like to be descriptive and paint the picture as much as possible.
As Yishami said, go back to basics. Then you can expand on things.

For example: "and then they fought and beat the s**t out of each other." can be turned into move by move instructions like "He lifted his right leg up high, nearly reaching a perfect vertical line, before bringing it down with as much force as he could onto the back of his opponent's head."

And so on
I hope that helps
Talking with friends/someone interested in your writing usually helps to spark ideas/gets you to think of things you've never considered before. Another way is to take a break from your story and sit two of your characters (maybe the main character and the designated 'bad guy') down for coffee/a drink/something and just let them talk. You can find out a lot about where your characters want the story to go and then tailor what you're writing to fit that!

Also, a foolproof way to get rid of writers block is to introduce some kind of action/random item into the scene. I was reading about authors and one of them said that every time he got stuck he would just bring in two guys with shotguns, and it always worked.
So maybe try something like that?

Good luck to you!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas