Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Loiterer

15,825 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Big Tipper 100
Today's Word: Discriminate
Sentence: “Yes. Is there something you’re against with?” I glared at him. I love Carl’s bike ever since he bought it. I’m gonna do anything to protect it from any discrimination – if you can call it that.
-taken from See Through Me, Chapter 6
(no, I'm not doing anything bad. I wrote that damn thing. ^^)
Noryoku Kiyama
This sends me back to the patina page.
Just want you to know.
sweatdrop

Whoops! That's what I get for trying to use
copy and paste when I'm half asleep. sweatdrop
Fixed!

Updating the first page now.
AurinJade
Today's Word: Onomatopoeia
Sentence: “Say it with me. It’s my favorite word. Onomatopoeia. Just say it a few times in a row. You’ll realize why I like it. Onomatopoeia. Onomatopoeia. Onomatopoeia.”

Awhh, come on! wink This sentence doesn't use the word in context,
which seems like skirting around using it in the first place. I'll
give you the count this time if you have the one here professing
their love of the word explain what it means to someone. 3nodding
Rules update!

The WotD must be used in context for you to get a point. Your MC professing, "Man, the (WOTD) sucks!" Will not be a point. You must use the definition of the word, not just the word itself, in your sentence. This falls under the category of needing to use the word properly.

Invisible Loiterer

15,825 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Big Tipper 100
HiddenHijinx
Noryoku Kiyama
This sends me back to the patina page.
Just want you to know.
sweatdrop

Whoops! That's what I get for trying to use
copy and paste when I'm half asleep. sweatdrop
Fixed!

Updating the first page now.

No worries.
I was just tempted to click on the link and boy, did it gave me a surprise when 'patina' showed up.
Got me nervous too so I jumped back to the first page to check again.
^^

Lonely Lover

HiddenHijinx
All up to date! Congrats guys, this is working out really well so far! mrgreen

FireKattana
Unfortunately, I don't think many of these words would fit into my story...

The beauty of this is that most words can be shifted into multiple parts of speech... and if something can be used as a modifier, it's much easier to sneak it in! It wouldn't hurt to sign up and just give it a swing, you never know... the right word might just end up inspiring something completely new!

I could probably use most of them,
But unless I could use the definition
Of Onomatopoeia
But not the actual word,
(Like using CRASH! BOOM! BANG!
Instead of the word)
I am pretty certain it wouldn't fit ><
It's a pretty odd word
For someone in a fantasy story to know.
Sentence: Around her their eyes glared down at her. Many noses turned up in disgust when she said that. "You're too young to decide that you don't want children." Spoke a condescending voice from the church crowd. "I'm 34!" she retorted frustratedly. One by one, each member turned their backs on her, rolling their eyes and shaking their heads dismissively. As the day passed, fewer and fewer of them would sit near her. Her husband wouldn't look her in the eye, as if she betrayed and dishonored him by saying such nonsense. Soon, she realized they were discriminating against the new town pariah.

Uh... sorry, I suppose that was longer than a sentence.

High-functioning Garbage

24,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
Today's Word: discriminate
Sentence: It seemed the will of God did discriminate, moving into the older twin rather than the one born only a few scant minutes later.

Wheezing Genius

7,450 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
This looks like fun! I'll definitely be joining in.

Word of the Day Challenge Participant

Gaia Username: Sieffre
NaNoWriMo Username: berrigan
NaNoWriMo Profile URL: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/berrigan
NaNo Novel Title: The Wormhole Jumpers
NaNo Novel Link: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/berrigan/novels/the-wormhole-jumpers

Today's Word: discriminate
Sentence: Juanita’s jaw dropped. “You mean you two aren’t—? You can tell me. I’m the last person that would discriminate when it comes to love.”

“No!” Deuko said. Then then meaning of her words sunk in. “He looks at me? How does he look at me?”

Edit: playing catch-up with two of the words. Cerulean is impossible to use because skies in this novel vary in colours.

Today's Word: onomatopoeia
Sentence: Sigma had been in a playful mood all evening, punctuating his actions with various onomatopoeia in a childlike chant. Deuko was beginning to suspect that it was her normal state.

“How do you put up with her all the time?” he asked after half an hour of her voice running almost non-stop through his head. “Tell me she didn’t do this while you were stuck in that loophole.”

“You get used to it,” Pip said distractedly, busy with his datapad. “It’s like trying to get a child to stop tugging your hand in a toy store.”

Today's Word: patina
Sentence: Deuko hurriedly pushed his way between an android and a yak laiden down with bundles, heading towards the first occupied hangar he saw. It held a small ship, a make that he didn’t recognise, but a beauty none the less, a retro arrowhead shape painted silver and bronze. A human grunger was standing in front of the opened ramp, pushing a dolly loaded with a crate up into the cargo bay. What Deuko could see of the inside was barren of the usual pipes and exposed wires, but some people were picky about thing like that, and prefered to cover them over with patina.

High-functioning Garbage

24,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
Noryoku Kiyama
“Yes. Is there something you’re against with?”

That statement makes no sense. Grammatically, it's incorrect. You might consider revising it

Muffers's Husband

Mind-boggling Blob

HiddenHijinx
AurinJade
Today's Word: Onomatopoeia
Sentence: “Say it with me. It’s my favorite word. Onomatopoeia. Just say it a few times in a row. You’ll realize why I like it. Onomatopoeia. Onomatopoeia. Onomatopoeia.”

Awhh, come on! wink This sentence doesn't use the word in context,
which seems like skirting around using it in the first place. I'll
give you the count this time if you have the one here professing
their love of the word explain what it means to someone. 3nodding

There's no way I'd use it context. I could make something up for you if you'd like, but I'm not sticking that word in an actual sentence. There's only a few way's it's going to fit in my story, and it's not going to be in narrative.

Jeering Nerd

9,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Wall Street 200
Sentence: . Teachers don’t discriminate students, and that makes me feel secure that it’s the only group of people in school that won't mock me.

Invisible Loiterer

15,825 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Big Tipper 100
ZaiaFantasy
That statement makes no sense. Grammatically, it's incorrect. You might consider revising it

Take risks. (Microsoft Word wanted to autocorrect that to “Take care.” Clearly, Word does not understand NaNoWriMo. Also, this is why I normally write in Scrivener. Scrivener would never suggest such a thing.)
-taken from NaNoMail: Week One Pep Talk from Erin Morgenstern

B- but Sara was the one who said it, not me. My character wanted to blurt that out; there's nothing I can do about it. ^^;

High-functioning Garbage

24,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
Noryoku Kiyama
ZaiaFantasy

Take risks. (Microsoft Word wanted to autocorrect that to “Take care.” Clearly, Word does not understand NaNoWriMo. Also, this is why I normally write in Scrivener. Scrivener would never suggest such a thing.)

B- but Sara was the one who said it, not me. My character wanted to blurt that out; there's nothing I can do about it. ^^;

But the sentence makes no sense in character or out. It's not taking a risk, it's a lack of structure.

Invisible Loiterer

15,825 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Big Tipper 100
ZaiaFantasy
Noryoku Kiyama
ZaiaFantasy

But the sentence makes no sense in character or out. It's not taking a risk, it's a lack of structure.

Shh, Sara don't like structures. Don't let her catch you saying that.
^^;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces