Welcome to Gaia! ::

Junior Seeker

So how hard is it going to be for me to catch up? I forgot about NaNoWriMo until today and this is my first year of doing it D: Any tips?

Unforgiving Tactician

10,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
Have some sort of idea in your head that you can keep writing about~ and knowing the subject matter.
This is my first real attempt at nanowrimo too but I had been planning my story for three years.

Junior Seeker

Thanks biggrin
I'm waiting now for my verification email. It's taken about 15 minuets. >.<

Unforgiving Tactician

10,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
^.^ Good luck with your story!

Invisible Loiterer

15,825 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Big Tipper 100
I'm a first timer too and I write what ever comes in my mind, however bizarre or out of order it is.
I'm experimenting and I am having fun.
Not saying you do the same...just plain saying.
Have fun writing.
^^

Junior Seeker

I just want to start >.< But my email still won't come and I can't ask for them to send another D:

Good luck with all your stories as well!

Seeker

10,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
I just started today to. Yeah, we're behind. Some people already have 5K-7K in words.

But yeah, do a quick pre-plan so you know you have enough plot and won't write yourself into a rut and then just write, write, WRITE!!

That's my advice :3

6,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Lol, yeah this is my 3rd year attempting it and so far I'm doing great! Which is much better than my last few times, where I failed miserably. =3

My tips, as an ex-failure, would be to:

1. DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET BEHIND. I mean, yeah, you're behind now, but as soon as you're caught up, STAY there. Once you get behind, you give up. At least, that's what I did.

2. DON'T EDIT. DON'T DO IT.

3. Get attached to your story, you characters, all that stuff. Write about what you know, what you love, thought's you've always thought about, things you think are cool. If it's something you like, you'll want to write about it.

4. Love the tangents. If nothing else, it'll fill up your word count.

5. DON'T EDIT. DON'T DO IT.

6. Tell yourself if you don't finish, you'll have to do something you don't like. For example, I'm going to watch a scary movie in the middle of the night with the lights off if I don't finish. =)

7. DON'T EDIT OHMYGOODNESSGRACIOUS DON'T EDIT.

8. Unless of course this edit adds more words. smile
Noryoku Kiyama
I'm a first timer too and I write what ever comes in my mind, however bizarre or out of order it is.
Have fun writing.
^^

This! I have found that plotting a story in advance tends to get in the way of what your characters want and can sometimes bring your writing to a grinding halt.
That being said, this is my first attempt at nanowrimo as well, but I've been writing for a while. My best advice is to know your characters and let THEM tell the story. Usually you'll be surprised (and excited about) where it takes you.

Invisible Loiterer

15,825 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Big Tipper 100
Mutant Husband Erik
Noryoku Kiyama
Have fun writing.
^^

This! I have found that plotting a story in advance tends to get in the way of what your characters want and can sometimes bring your writing to a grinding halt.
That being said, this is my first attempt at nanowrimo as well, but I've been writing for a while. My best advice is to know your characters and let THEM tell the story. Usually you'll be surprised (and excited about) where it takes you.

I want that kind of a character too. whee
I hope my character would talk to me for once. Just kidding.
I know the hardship of following a plot, so now I am staring at an almost a parody of every fairy tale and romance story I ever read.
I hope I am not doing any plagiarism of a kind; that would be a total bullet-in-the-head. xp
Noryoku Kiyama

I know the hardship of following a plot, so now I am staring at an almost a parody of every fairy tale and romance story I ever read.
I hope I am not doing any plagiarism of a kind; that would be a total bullet-in-the-head. xp

There is nothing wrong with having a conversation with your character. They're fun! And good when you're bored in class or in the shower.
Just remember that you're talking to your character.

And that is fantastic! Don't worry. As long as your words are your own and you didn't knowingly lift sections of writing from other work, you're totally fine. There are many stories that are similar without being exactly alike.
Contrary to popular belief, it's actually really hard to get pinned for plagiarism unless you did it on purpose. :3

Invisible Loiterer

15,825 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Big Tipper 100
Mutant Husband Erik
Noryoku Kiyama

There is nothing wrong with having a conversation with your character. They're fun! And good when you're bored in class or in the shower.
Just remember that you're talking to your character.

And that is fantastic! Don't worry. As long as your words are your own and you didn't knowingly lift sections of writing from other work, you're totally fine. There are many stories that are similar without being exactly alike.
Contrary to popular belief, it's actually really hard to get pinned for plagiarism unless you did it on purpose. :3

The hard part for me would be getting the character out of, well, me. I usually see things in my eyes as the main character or the one accompanying the character, so I guess I have to pull that inner voice from the inside out to really get in depth with him/her.
Wait, you talk to them in shower? O.O *green scenery inside the head* (ignore that)
So unintentional similarities are common. No wonder I had been reading so many disclaimers in the books I read these days. emotion_awesome
Noryoku Kiyama

The hard part for me would be getting the character out of, well, me. I usually see things in my eyes as the main character or the one accompanying the character, so I guess I have to pull that inner voice from the inside out to really get in depth with him/her.
Wait, you talk to them in shower? O.O *green scenery inside the head* (ignore that)
So unintentional similarities are common. No wonder I had been reading so many disclaimers in the books I read these days. emotion_awesome

Ahh. That is difficult. It's also not necessarily a bad thing. Just makes it hard to have pseudo-schizophrenic conversations with your character. xD
And of course in the shower! What else am I supposed to do? Cleaning one's self is only so entertaining.

Ha! Yes indeed. Why else do you think Avatar follows the same plot as about fifty other movies?

Invisible Loiterer

15,825 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Big Tipper 100
Mutant Husband Erik
Noryoku Kiyama

Ahh. That is difficult. It's also not necessarily a bad thing. Just makes it hard to have pseudo-schizophrenic conversations with your character. xD
And of course in the shower! What else am I supposed to do? Cleaning one's self is only so entertaining.

Ha! Yes indeed. Why else do you think Avatar follows the same plot as about fifty other movies?

hahaha! That would be so...crazy. I am now curious of what things we all might be talking about...
Maybe a request of a higher stats or a better background or a more solid future. Yikes! emotion_facepalm
Man, taking a shower with someone must be a little, well, I don't know...distracting? ^^;
Avatar..? The ones with blue people. I never saw that movie. And maybe part of me don't want to either. Many said it was a boring movie and too predictable. What do you think about it?
Noryoku Kiyama

hahaha! That would be so...crazy. I am now curious of what things we all might be talking about...
Maybe a request of a higher stats or a better background or a more solid future. Yikes! emotion_facepalm
Man, taking a shower with someone must be a little, well, I don't know...distracting? ^^;
Avatar..? The ones with blue people. I never saw that movie. And maybe part of me don't want to either. Many said it was a boring movie and too predictable. What do you think about it?

Oh noes!
And nah, it's cool. Usually they just nag at me for taking too long.

The one with the blue people! I went into the movie thinking I was gonna hate it, but it ended up being pretty chill. The story line is predictable because, like I said, it's been done before, but that doesn't make it less cool. And the CGI really is fantastic.
tl;dr - Not the best movie in the world, but far from the worst. I'd watch it again.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff