Welcome to Gaia! ::

AndreaHarper
r e d L 0 B S T 3 R
AndreaHarper
r e d L 0 B S T 3 R
AndreaHarper
r e d L 0 B S T 3 R
I am debating whether or not to do this, so right now I am just kind of... dilly-dallying about. XD
But my problem right now is a sentence.

"And so he began walking, leaving behind a trail of confusion, mystery and a plethora of assumptions that were ready to be made. "

Does anyone see something wrong with it like me, and therefore a possible solution? Or does it look fine? /dies

...leaving behind a trail of confusion AND mystery, compounding the plethora of assumptions ready to be made....

Or something similar. You've got two words that work as a list, and then a third that is something else entirely.

Does this make sense?
Kind of. XD
Is it possible for you to elaborate more? /facepalm
The word "compounding" is confusing me, I think. And I feel so stupid saying that. XD
I guess I just don't know... What that means?
I mean, I know the word, but.. Haha, I don't know.

Compounding: Adding, making more, multiplying. (Like compound interest smile ) You could instead say something like ...adding to the plethora of assumptions ready to be made... or something like that. Basically, the sentence is saying that his trail of confusion and mystery is taking this huge pile of assumptions and making it even bigger.

And I'm sorry. Linguistics major. You're lucky I didn't come out with something like asymptote or defenestrated.
Oh, wow, do I feel dumb. I understand now. xD
Thank you!

Haha, and to think I know the word asymptote. XD c:

How about defenestrated? ;D
Haha, I didn't, but I looked it up and now I know. XD c:

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
AndreaHarper
boyamiconfuzed
AndreaHarper

On a totally unrelated note, 'defenestrated' is my favorite word.

Isn't it fabulous?

Yes. It's one of the best things I learned in junior high school. Right up there with how to make little origami balloons.
Also, I am having a little trouble with this one, too. XD

"Once more did that smug grin of arrogance appear. "

It seems off to me. D; /shrug
boyamiconfuzed
AndreaHarper
r e d L 0 B S T 3 R
I am debating whether or not to do this, so right now I am just kind of... dilly-dallying about. XD

"And so he began walking, leaving behind a trail of confusion, mystery and a plethora of assumptions that were ready to be made. "

Does anyone see something wrong with it like me, and therefore a possible solution? Or does it look fine? /dies

...leaving behind a trail of confusion AND mystery, compounding the plethora of assumptions ready to be made....

Or something similar. You've got two words that work as a list, and then a third that is something else entirely.

Does this make sense?

But she's (?) not trying to suggest cause and effect, she's just saying he left a plethora of yet to be made assumptions behind him, along with some other things.

If you treat the assumptions as a thing (well, multiple metaphysical things) they can totally be listed like that.

Either way it doesn't matter. Remember, November is for writing, December is for editing.

Mmm.. Not quite. Basically, the list as it says that his trail is

A: confusing
B: mysterious
C: a plethora of assumptions.

A trail can be made OF multiple things, but not when a number is applied to them. You wouldn't say that he left a trail of a plethora of breadcrumbs. The number is implied in the word trail.
boyamiconfuzed
AndreaHarper
r e d L 0 B S T 3 R

Does this make sense?

But she's (?) not trying to suggest cause and effect, she's just saying he left a plethora of yet to be made assumptions behind him, along with some other things.

If you treat the assumptions as a thing (well, multiple metaphysical things) they can totally be listed like that.

Either way it doesn't matter. Remember, November is for writing, December is for editing.
Haha, I am a female. c:
boyamiconfuzed

Yes. It's one of the best things I learned in junior high school. Right up there with how to make little origami balloons.

High-five for awesome but somewhat useless things that end up being what you actually take with you when you graduate?

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
AndreaHarper
. The number is implied in the word trail.

Really? No grammar teacher anywhere ever taught me that. Stupid public schools.
boyamiconfuzed
AndreaHarper
. The number is implied in the word trail.

Really? No grammar teacher anywhere ever taught me that. Stupid public schools.

Bi-lingual linguistics major who's working on her third language. And has academics for parents. Add it to the list of really odd things I know for no particular reason. But here, have an explaination anyway:

You can't leave a trail of just one thing. If you're carrying a basket of flowers, and you drop one, you haven't left a trail, you've lost a flower. If you drop half the basket over time, and someone could, conceivably, follow you by that, then you've left a trail. Of flowers. Notice that the qualifier for trails is always a plural.

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
AndreaHarper
boyamiconfuzed

High-five for awesome but somewhat useless things that end up being what you actually take with you when you graduate?

Yep. So far all I've taken away from college was the ability to churn out B papers in 24 hours and a degree that looks good on the resume.

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
r e d L 0 B S T 3 R

I forgot what gender your avatar was while I was typing, so I question mark'd it to be safe. I've had people yell at me for getting their avi gender wrong.

AndreaHarper

Oh one of those. I have tons of those, just not so many grammar ones. Mine are mostly history related or just plain random.
boyamiconfuzed
r e d L 0 B S T 3 R

I forgot what gender your avatar was while I was typing, so I question mark'd it to be safe. I've had people yell at me for getting their avi gender wrong.

AndreaHarper

Oh one of those. I have tons of those, just not so many grammar ones. Mine are mostly history related or just plain random.
c: It's fine.
D;
I have to go, you guys.
Thank you for the help.
c:
boyamiconfuzed
r e d L 0 B S T 3 R

That makes people dumb. And stupid. Why yes I am redundant.

boyamiconfuzed
AndreaHarper

Mine are either the arts or humanities. So history, languages, painting, photography, etc., a little geology, a little animal husbandry, poisons... Especially poisons. I may just have a morbid streak as wide as the Atlantic ocean.

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
AndreaHarper

The worst part was they had the 'decomposing corpse' full body pose from Death Whisper on. Someone else in the thread actually pointed out it was impossible to determine the gender of an avatar wearing that.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being morbid. It makes you more interesting.

...I am procrastinating so hard right now.

Dapper Genius

9,550 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Just strolled on in here. Had no idea, in any way what the ******** NaNoWriMo was. Looked it up and literally went, [******** that noise."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff