Welcome to Gaia! ::

Balmvng's Significant Otter

Spoopy Hipster

I'm way behind and I could use some advice, encouragement.

Spoopy Hipster

Peaceful Lunatic

It depends. Sometimes it's the promise of an awesome scene later. When you hit that scene, then it's the promise of another awesome scene further on... or an awesome ending. Sometimes it's 'I promise myself some M&Ms if I pass this wordcount'. And sometimes it's just eliminating distractions.

I favor... being a writing addict, hah!

Good luck with your story! Any specific parts you're having troubles with? There are points where it's okay to skip scenes because you're too stuck on them at the moment.

Spoopy Hipster

Ysavvryl
It depends. Sometimes it's the promise of an awesome scene later. When you hit that scene, then it's the promise of another awesome seen further on... or an awesome ending. Sometimes it's 'I promise myself some M&Ms if I pass this wordcount'. And sometimes it's just eliminating distractions.

Good luck with your story! Any specific parts you're having troubles with? There are points where it's okay to skip scenes because you're too stuck on them at the moment.
I just really want to write this scene, but I keep getting stuck with words like how to phrase things. I've never sat down to write a story before so that's why I wanted to do this. I think I need to just stop worrying about making it perfect and go for it. That's most likely my problem.

6,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
For me, it's that me and my friend made a pact that if we don't finish NaNo, we're going to watch the scariest movie we can find in the middle of the night with the lights off.

This makes sense because we're total wusses. xD

Also, I'm motivated by getting really connected to my characters. I love every single one of them, including the guy I modeled after a stereotype I hate, and I want to see them, hang out with them, love them, till the end. smile
There are a lot of things you can do to stay motivated in your writing.
One is to talk to a friend about what you're doing. If you're stuck, usually you can figure out what happens just from talking about it. And REMEMBER HOW YOU TELL IT. That language that you are using to convey that scene to your friend? Use it in your writing. Trust me, most of the time it works.
Another thing is to write the scenes/segments you most want to tell right now and then go in and fill the rest in later.
Also don't get hung up on research. Write now; make sure what you wrote is accurate later.
Lastly, don't get hung up on what words to choose! Write whatever is coming to you down now, and worry about going back and editing later. All writers have first drafts. It's okay to go back and change them.

As for actual motivation, some people find that setting apart a certain time to write works for them, but I find that that just makes me feel stressed. Try making a playlist or something for your story to get you in the mood to write it, and listen to it often.

Hopefully that helps!

Unforgiving Tactician

10,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
Hmm motivation...

What I normally do is pretend to be the character you're writing about and imagine the scenes that are going to play out. Or if you don't know what the plot is, brainstorm on a piece of paper anything to do with the story- creating more characters, plot twists, setting. You can even doodle some related art if you like drawing.
If you are stuck somewhere in the plot- just skip it and write whatever you feel like should be added to the story. There will be a time when you are able to go back to it and fix it up.

Peaceful Lunatic

Seulement Hibou
Ysavvryl
It depends. Sometimes it's the promise of an awesome scene later. When you hit that scene, then it's the promise of another awesome seen further on... or an awesome ending. Sometimes it's 'I promise myself some M&Ms if I pass this wordcount'. And sometimes it's just eliminating distractions.

I just really want to write this scene, but I keep getting stuck with words like how to phrase things. I've never sat down to write a story before so that's why I wanted to do this. I think I need to just stop worrying about making it perfect and go for it. That's most likely my problem.

That's a good idea, not worrying about making it perfect. It's a first draft, so it will be edited later. Right now, just get the ideas down.

I admit, there's a time or two where I pause, then write something like, 'then he defeated the beastie and went on his way' when I can't figure out the fight scene.

Dangerous Glitch

I was actually stuck but I've just been given a great idea. By some dude who targeted me in the Hallowe'en Masquerade! It's absolutely brilliant actually. heart

Hilarious Phantom

9,925 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Mark Twain 100
I try not to focus too hard on my writing by taking breaks often and doing other things (like posting in the Gaia forums)
It keeps me from over thinking what I'm writing about, and allows me to just kind of go with my instincts instead of trying to rewrite the story a million times.
I also don't look back to make sure everything makes a ton of sense like I usually have to do when I write. I use the spell checker as soon as a word comes up wrong so I don't feel the need to go back and re-read everything that I've previously written.
And I keep the light off in my room so that my eyes are automatically drawn to to computer screen because it's illuminated. I'm not really sure if that will work for anyone else or not, I just know it keeps me from looking around the room randomly at distracting things.

I hope at least some of this is helpful to you. I know I'm kind of an oddball. (:

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Like some people have said, taking a break now and then can help. I usually fire up my PS3 and play for a little while. When Saints Row The 3rd launches on the 15th, I'm going to be using that as a treat for getting my writing done for the day, so having something to look forward to can help as well.

Dangerous Glitch

Seulement Hibou

Hm, maybe some real advice. Sorry. You didn't need to tip for my other post. sweatdrop

Music, I find, helps. Right now I'm listening to a lovely string version of Bitter Sweet Symphony. If you're easily distracted, don't listen to any songs with words you can recognize. Sometimes I put on my J-pop. Or all instrumentals.

Also, write in a place you feel comfortable. Me, I can't do any writing in my room. It's where I usually keep my laptop but I usually play games or read or surf the Net there. By staying in that environment, I'm too prone to distraction and procrastination. Right now, I've exiled myself to the living room. Or write in a new environment. Take your laptop, if you have one, to coffee shops.

Write stuff down in a notebook. Carry a pen and notebook everywhere. Anything that catches your fancy. Ideas. Words. Phrases. People you see. The colours of the leaves. Random plots and little ideas. You never know when it will come in handy. It's how I got through a small writer's block on just yesterday.

Talk to a good friend. Throw ideas at them. Hash things out.

Hm. That's all I can think of for now. But if I have more ideas, I'll come back here.

Good luck~!

Spoopy Hipster

Zeto
Seulement Hibou

Hm, maybe some real advice. Sorry. You didn't need to tip for my other post. sweatdrop

Music, I find, helps. Right now I'm listening to a lovely string version of Bitter Sweet Symphony. If you're easily distracted, don't listen to any songs with words you can recognize. Sometimes I put on my J-pop. Or all instrumentals.

Also, write in a place you feel comfortable. Me, I can't do any writing in my room. It's where I usually keep my laptop but I usually play games or read or surf the Net there. By staying in that environment, I'm too prone to distraction and procrastination. Right now, I've exiled myself to the living room. Or write in a new environment. Take your laptop, if you have one, to coffee shops.

Write stuff down in a notebook. Carry a pen and notebook everywhere. Anything that catches your fancy. Ideas. Words. Phrases. People you see. The colours of the leaves. Random plots and little ideas. You never know when it will come in handy. It's how I got through a small writer's block on just yesterday.

Talk to a good friend. Throw ideas at them. Hash things out.

Hm. That's all I can think of for now. But if I have more ideas, I'll come back here.

Good luck~!
You've actually been quite helpful, thank you so much. c: I've been listening to mostly instrumental music with some weird synth/electronic stuff thrown in and it's been really helpful. I've just been feeling guilty about tuning out my house, but I should stop that because they understand. xD

Thank you so much for all of your advice. heart

Dangerous Glitch

Also, someone once told me this:

Think of the worst thing that could ever happen to your character.

Write it and make it happen to them.

Now, how do they react? How do they fix it? How do they feel? What happens next?

Questionable Borg

I don't stay motivated, I'll go through fits where I don't want to write at all, so I don't, or for a few days all I want to do is write, so I do.

I let my mind decide when I'm motivated, if I force myself, my writing is crap.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff