Welcome to Gaia! ::

Jeering Nerd

9,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Wall Street 200
I wonder, but never debate about it. I'm very sure I would start being tasteless if I started to describe anything, for the narration is first person.

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
WickedREMY
Well, it's usually an off screen thing for all of my characters. But now that you mention it... Oh, hell, I am totally going to go write a scene where someone gets attacked in the middle of business now, aren't I?

Continuing on for the most awkward conversation I've had in a while:
I imagine merfolk poop would be sort of like a fish's. If you've ever had a pet goldfish, it's kind of long and stringy and doesn't really take up much space. It's not really dirty unless you clean the tank only once a year and it probably doesn't smell worse than the fish itself, not that I've ever made a habit out of smelling goldfish tanks.

May I ask why your character is being stuck in pools and tubs? :'D

Dooo it. In the middle of business is the best time to attack someone, their guard is down as low as it can get!

He had a bad day. Sharks and bad storms and a up close and personal meeting with a rocky shoreline, so he's been in the tub and pool recuperating.

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
kirikomorisan
I wonder, but never debate about it. I'm very sure I would start being tasteless if I started to describe anything, for the narration is first person.

Yeah, when I write in first person I skip over that stuff, although I did write a Nanovel a few years ago in first person, and I had my POV character spend an entire scene needing to go to the bathroom, but I cut away before he got to a bathroom.
Actually the last book that I happened to read was Misery by Stephen King

and the character in that had to drink his own urine and wallow in his own faeces for 2 weeks to survive.....

I've rarely seen the topic addressed without some aspect of it being gross haha.

Toothsome Prophet

10,100 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nerd 50
Smextacy
Actually the last book that I happened to read was Misery by Stephen King

and the character in that had to drink his own urine and wallow in his own faeces for 2 weeks to survive.....

I've rarely seen the topic addressed without some aspect of it being gross haha.

But that's Stephen King, he likes gross.

Yeah, I've decided to brush over it in the story, it would just be too gross to go into details.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I always found it a little gross, too. For sure it should be implied that they have somewhere to go to the bathroom, but excessive detail about an MC having a bm? No thanks. The last book I can think of that went into detail explaining how and where characters went to the bathroom (and he subsequent diarrhea from poor diet) was Lord Of The Flies, and I distinctly recall finding it gross and needless. Yes, we can use our imagination; we know they magically haven't stopped going to the bathroom.

Jeering Nerd

9,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Wall Street 200
boyamiconfuzed
kirikomorisan

Yeah, when I write in first person I skip over that stuff, although I did write a Nanovel a few years ago in first person, and I had my POV character spend an entire scene needing to go to the bathroom, but I cut away before he got to a bathroom.

I had the POV take her dog out, and I glossed over the main purpose for the dog going out.

Blatantly Mule's Widower

Anxious Shounen

▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆xx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx C o s h l e d a k
xxxxxxxx┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅

I personally tend to ignore it.
                It's one of those understood things that happens that
                doesn't need to be discussed because (and this is all
                personal opinion) it isn't integral to your plot or your
                character development. Not usually, at least.

xxxx xxxx

Friendly Dabbler

I actually noticed this very issue in my story a couple days ago :I Not only did I ignore all basic need of hygiene, I've also made then wander through a forest for approximately twenty hours after only a few hours of sleep the night before and nearly no food except for an ultra watery fruit .-. But as soon as I realized what I was doing I made one of my characters pass out and another sleep for the entirety of the next day.
    The closest I've been to even touching on the bathroom issue was mentioning that there was a bathroom in the house they were staying at. Of course, they're back to wandering through the woods again. hmm
    You made me feel the need to write a scene about that now. Not in detail of course. It kind of fits with my story though.
    TT Snim
    look up the uncompleted Elf vs Ork By Vernon Ursulav. She has woven a fine world, with magic and war and an out house.

It's a good read, but don't expect it to ever be done. whee

Her Deviantart Ursulav
    Hey, I recognize that name! Except it's her LJ name and she's regularly featured in metaquotes.

I just realized my MC has a bladder and intestinal tract of steel. But there's not much place to insert any kind of bathroom scenes. :/
    meerodi
    I actually noticed this very issue in my story a couple days ago :I Not only did I ignore all basic need of hygiene, I've also made then wander through a forest for approximately twenty hours after only a few hours of sleep the night before and nearly no food except for an ultra watery fruit .-. But as soon as I realized what I was doing I made one of my characters pass out and another sleep for the entirety of the next day.
    The closest I've been to even touching on the bathroom issue was mentioning that there was a bathroom in the house they were staying at. Of course, they're back to wandering through the woods again. hmm

actually - that's not terrible if you are looking for adventure and hardship. A person can survive up to 40 days without any food at all, and after the first 3 days you stop being hungry (I happen to know this from experience unfortunately), although you may continue to be plagued by headaches.
    And being lost in a forest for 20 hours after only a few hours of sleep? Yeah - done that plenty too. In the snow. You know what I did? I went ice fishing and built a shelter out of fallen pine boughs, some rope, and a poncho. Or better yet - being lost in the woods on a mountain on a nearly moonless night. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find your way when all you can see is black and blacker? But look at me - I'm still alive and well. 3nodding
    two days lost in the woods is not a huge deal when it comes down to it. If the only obstacle is just to survive being lost, it's not a problem. Add in bad weather, predators, enemies, treacherous conditions, fear/panic, injuries, illness - anything like that can make it bad. But walking around in the woods for two days on only a couple hours sleep and a few bites of food does not warrant an extreme need for recovery.

So in summary - do whatever the hell you want with them. It'll take a lot more than that to kill them! Make their lives hard! It'll be more fun. ;P
    My character gets lost in the desert for 2 weeks before he is rescued by some nomads.

Friendly Dabbler

Tryan

Thanks for the advise :] And it's good to know my novel is still realistic, in that sense at the very least
    I'm just letting it slide for my story. As for periods, the MC is pretty much sterile, so I can get away with her not having them. xd On the other hand, I've been pretty realistic with the "character is on the road for two months = character smells like they rolled in dead things and looks like a mud golem. Other characters are not appreciative".

This topic did get me wondering, though. Where the hell would you pop a squat in the realm of chaos? On a demon? gonk

8,600 Points
    • Conventioneer 300
    • Survivor 150
    • Full closet 200
    my mermaids' tails don't start until well past their hips, at least halfway down to the knee area on a human, then their tails are extended.

But I would agree. Most writer's don't include that stuff because it's just a waste of both the reader and the writer's time. They don't need to know when a character needs to use the washroom unless it is a relevant part of the story.

Quick Reply

Submit
    Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces
    Fun Stuff